PDA

View Full Version : unofficial official bitch about your job thread. do it. its healthy.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

fox in socks
06-15-2010, 10:54 PM
or so i say.

yes i have more bitching, but ill save it so its not a dissertation. misery loves company so GO!

bear
06-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Today, someone asked for my help trouble shooting an application issue they were having. I asked her what OS she was on. "How would I know that?" I asked her what version of IE she was on. "How would I know that?"

We work for a tech company. oy.

lacuna
06-15-2010, 11:00 PM
today there's a strange smell outside my work that drifts in everytime I open the door. I can't tell if it's sewage, garbage, or dead animal. I don't want to stand outside trying to determine what the fuck it is. I have the A/C cranked because that seems to air out my store, but I don't know, I may just be getting used to it. oh my god it's terrible.

Dave
06-15-2010, 11:01 PM
I've been away from home for over 80 hours this past week. That includes driving an hour there and another hour back to home. The OT money is great, but I have worked my fucking ass off for that place. It seems like every day I go in there there is at least half a dozen different things I have to fix. I'm covering half of 2nd and all of my 3rd shift, seeing as the 2nd shift Supervisor was fired a couple of months ago. Boss has promised me (yet again) a raise seeing as "the place would sink without you". He said he put in for it a week ago, I haven't heard word about it yet. If I don't hear anything this week I'm bringing it up to him again. It shouldn't be my job to ask my boss these things, but he never stays in touch with anyone about much of anything.

Dave
06-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Today, someone asked for my help trouble shooting an application issue they were having. I asked her what OS she was on. "How would I know that?" I asked her what version of IE she was on. "How would I know that?"

lmao, why doesn't that surprise me?

ChasingTornados
06-15-2010, 11:03 PM
OMG, I'm not gonna get into this.. I can bitch for HOURS

Let's just say my manager is a backstabbing, lying, two-faced cunt who should be hit by a bus.

The shit she pulls is unbelievable. Every day is something else. One of these days i'm gonna kill her with one of the kitchen knives.

Dave
06-15-2010, 11:06 PM
OMG, I'm not gonna get into this.. I can bitch for HOURS

Let's just say my manager is a backstabbing, lying, two-faced cunt who should be hit by a bus.

The shit she pulls is unbelievable. Every day is something else. One of these days i'm gonna kill her with one of the kitchen knives.
[hug] Sometimes I imagine my boss getting trapped in a machine as the molds are closing.

insanitykun
06-15-2010, 11:39 PM
I keep getting warned for doing something I am not, and have not been doing! I've told my boss repeatedly that I'm not putting things in front of the fire hose, and someone keeps moving shit there, and he keeps warning me anyway.

fox in socks
06-15-2010, 11:54 PM
my favorite managerial thing to do is, instead of dealing with the 1 or 2 individuals causing problems, they institute some ridiculous micro-managerial rules. like one girl keeps leaving 1/2 hr early since she "comes in to do paperwork". so now we have to clear it with mangerial staff before we flex our time. which means for every early meeting i come in for, i need to check with the manager about leaving early, or flexing time or whatever. i never blow off patients to leave early but if im all caught up there is no point in sitting around picking my nose all day. i am waiting for scheduled bathroom breaks. i bet its not far off.

JayPeaches
06-15-2010, 11:56 PM
I have an ad due to a newspaper on June 26th. It has not been designed yet. I have plenty of time.

Yesterday, at 10am, my boss said, "Have you done that ad yet? I need it for my meeting with the CEO at 2pm."

ARGH!!!!!!! She always does shit like this - requesting things that are totally fucking un-necessary but which take ridiculous amounts of time and effort of the staff to the detriment of our other more timely projects. The CEO doesn't fucking care about some stupid ad we're running on the 26th of June!!! ARGH ARGH ARGH!

Lucky for her, I misunderstand and designed the wrong ad by 2pm. HAHAHAHA

sara
06-16-2010, 12:01 AM
This might make you guys laugh when your jobs are driving you insane. (http://notalwaysright.com/)

JAE
06-16-2010, 12:13 AM
I quit my job today due to my manager being a massive cunt.

Dave
06-16-2010, 12:16 AM
You win! closethreadnowplease

Hitherto
06-16-2010, 12:30 AM
I'm a few weeks into a new job where they have not bothered to train me very well. So I'm constantly asking questions, of course, but it feels like my managers are totally exasperated and annoyed with me for not magically knowing all these things that they've never bothered to tell me. I won't even start in on the customers. Ugh, it sucks.

Em
06-16-2010, 01:15 AM

lmao, why doesn't that surprise me?

I was just wondering if poor miss K is working for my mom. omg. ;l

AzMoo
06-16-2010, 02:13 AM
I don't have a huge amount to complain about at the moment which is fairly awesome. I've had 15% worth of pay-rises over the last 12 months and I've learned today that I've just been promoted to "Solutions Architect", which essentially means that I develop and implement IT solutions that are too big or too hard for everybody else in the department. It's exactly what I was doing before but now it's official. Ooooer, isn't that fancy?!

Of course, there's the usual complaints about way too much work and not enough time to do it in. I love it when you get company directors or general managers screaming because the 6-month project they only signed off on last week hasn't been implemented yet. Good times.

ChasingTornados
06-16-2010, 03:39 AM
Ok, so I wasn't gonna get into this, but now I am..

In the latest effort to screw me over, my manager hired on of her friends to take the Monday & Tuesday shift. While I am perfectly capable of taking those hours and that was the original plan when the other girl working those hours left. Thing is, I told that girl how my manager was screwing HER over (after manager royally screwing herself over by telling me the girl knew about the situation) she found out and got pissed so I got traded in for one of her buddies. Also, one of the managers has asked me to work over at another place for 5 weeks on Wednesday and Thursday while he's on vacation. I have not worked ONE Wednesday or Thursday in 6 months, but she still told him 'Hmmm, that will be extremely difficult to arrange.. I don't know if that's possible blah blah blah'. Excuse me? If she doesn't agree to let me work there and she doesn't need me at all on those days in the mean time.. Hell, she's dead. Screwing me out of my money like that...

It's so high school.. I think she's basically scared of me taking over her position, since I've been working there for 3+ years and I'm good at my job, even though I don't have time to become a manager anyway and she knows it.. It's all some big power-trip thing and frankly I'm SO over it.

As an added bonus, missy has no people skills (yes, she's a waitress.. I can see the juxtaposition here...) and can't be reasoned with. It's like she's not capable of carrying an intelligent, reasonable conversation. And therefore reduces herself to manipulation and backstabbing. There's just no talking to woman. I have no idea what the fuck is wrong in her head.

Ok, sorry ;)

AzMoo
06-16-2010, 03:44 AM
Ok, so I wasn't gonna get into this, but now I am..

In the latest effort to screw me over, my manager hired on of her friends to take the Monday & Tuesday shift. While I am perfectly capable of taking those hours and that was the original plan when the other girl working those hours left. Thing I told that girl how my manager was screwing HER over, she found out and now I'm on the chopping block so to say, traded in for one of her buddies.

It's so high school..

Ugh. There's nothing worse than nepotism over seniority and skill.

Jamiieee
06-16-2010, 03:46 AM
Can I bitch about my jobhunt in here? I graduated from uni and moved to Vancouver with my boyfriend 6 weeks ago and have been applying all over but can't get a response back from ANYONE! I have a degree and can't get a callback for a janitor position. FML :(

Canodiva1
06-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Jamiieee - Job hunting is a total bitch. I'm sorry it sucks for you. :-(

I took a new job back in January, after the previous company I was at for 7 years closed. This new place sucks balls, and this was absolutely the wrong decision for me to make.

The department I work for is the only one within the entire company that has a ban on music in the office, and headphones. Seriously, no music. It's like living in a lame version of Footloose. There's been a wage freeze for 2.5 years, and even with the reviews I'll be giving my employees shortly, there will be no raises for a 3rd year. This is despite the fact the CFO just sent out a glowing email about our Q1 financials. Yeah, this is going to go over well. We're about 50% understaffed on 3rd shift, and everyone is fraking miserable. Every idea I come up with to help improve morale is shot down, and my boss (and his boss) have no interest in improving the situation. Or letting me improve the situation.

The one upshot to this job is that because I work nights, I've been able to keep my part time teaching gig for the fall and I picked up 2 other teaching jobs for the summer which are mostly in the morning hours. Less sleep, but more teaching and more money at least.

Swampbaby
06-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Can I bitch about my jobhunt in here? I graduated from uni and moved to Vancouver with my boyfriend 6 weeks ago and have been applying all over but can't get a response back from ANYONE! I have a degree and can't get a callback for a janitor position. FML :(

I live in Vancouver too and I'm also looking for a new job. The one I currently have sucks for many reasons but I can tell you, I feel your pain! Hang in there! [vibes]

sara
06-16-2010, 07:42 AM

I'm in the same boat, in the same city. It's a royal pain in the ass.

TheTimm
06-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Very happy that I even have work, but holy shit it's been hot out this week. 95 degrees Monday, 96 degrees yesterday - and no shortage of humidity. There is not enough sunblock in the world to keep my face from burning up! Luckily, today it should only get into the low 90's. Working outside has a drawback or two.

wout
06-16-2010, 08:45 AM
I've been designing a logo for a church choir. I swear, technology wise, they haven't evolved beyond the clay tablets.

ami t
06-16-2010, 11:15 AM
One of these days i'm gonna kill her with one of the kitchen knives.

You have knives? There are never any in our kitchen because people steal them, so the kitchen lady doesn't leave them in the drawer!

This is probably being read as I write by the dick that sits behind me who's constantly looking over everyone's shoulder! He even checked out how much one guy upstairs earns as he left his contract on his desk when they were given to us. Shithead.

My work has elements that suck, mainly the people. However 3 of my department left half an hour early yesterday (my boss is away) to go and watch SATC2.

My husband handed in his notice yesterday as his work is so crap.

ChasingTornados
06-16-2010, 12:14 PM
^We need to cut steaks ;) We have plenty of huge knives lol

and an awesomely heavy candle stick too. I might use that.

ami t
06-16-2010, 01:17 PM
^Ah. Accounts Department here, not so much with the cutting of steak!

Chalk
06-16-2010, 07:10 PM
This might make you guys laugh when your jobs are driving you insane. (http://notalwaysright.com/)

Pure gold! That site needs its own thread.

JayPeaches
06-16-2010, 07:15 PM
I had a meeting this morning with our IT group about rolling out a new physician ordering system, for which my department is providing branding and graphic support.

It started off like this

Well, I'll just go ahead and say that I HATE this. In fact, I don't even want to be here. Just make sure you don't associate my name with this thing in ANY way.

We also developed a couple of "characters" in support of this new initiative and made sure that we had a diverse representation in terms of job disciplines/gender/race. One of the characters is a black doctor.

And you know what else? I don't like that the doctor looks JUST LIKE OBAMA.

*headdesk*

Autumn
06-16-2010, 09:55 PM
I have very little understanding of graphic design, but my job requires me to do some text edits in InDesign. Easy, right? Wrong. Our graphics dude is extremely threated by my knowledge (lack of!) of InDesign and absolutely refuses to release files to me without stomping and throwing a fit and being told by an owner of the company that he has to do it.

We are in separate buildings, separate networks, so I can't just grab the file from whatever drive. Even when he was here, he kept all those things on his personal hard drive, so no one else could ever see/touch them. He claims breaking and re-linking 50-90 graphic files would take him four to five times longer than picking up 40 or so pages of extensive redlines. I'm an extremely fast processer, and it took me four hours to process the redlines. Does it really take twenty hours to break and re-link 50-90 graphic files? I doubt it, but because I don't know, I can't call him on it. I'm starting to think certain things aren't as complicated as he has led some of us to believe, and I just have to take the time to learn InDesign to prove that, I guess.

eurotrash
06-16-2010, 11:37 PM
I really shouldn't even post in here because some of you have situations that are just beastly. And I don't have those problem. My boss doesn't micromanage. He's a very nice guy who treats me well. The hours are flexible and they've let me go half-time when I'm in school, then return to full-time when I'm on break. It's nearly impossible to get fired. I have great benefits. Coworkers get on my nerves now and then but are overall very nice. I've been here long enough to know the exact amount of snark I can get away with.

So I should really really just STFU, right? Yep. Except that I'm ambitious and motivated and I need to stay that way just to get out of bed in the morning. And this job is a complete dead end. I have worked here for 8 years and am now doing the work of two people, one of whom should be in a pay grade 4 levels higher than mine. I start my own projects because otherwise there's nothing to do but the most menial shit. I tell myself that I do it for the self-education and the self-fulfillment, and that it's not about the money or the title. But the state is broke and the uni is even more broke and there's a hiring/promotion/raise freeze for the next two years. Before the freeze, the chances of getting promoted were pretty slim, but now I know that it's absolutely not going to happen.

I just dislike getting stuck in something because the logical reasons to stay make so much sense, and my emotional investment is pretty far down on the list of what's important. What's worse is that my boyfriend, who's also an ambitious workaholic started a great new job and comes home every day super-excited and full of stories and I have to admit that I just sat at a desk for 8 hours, trying to stay awake.

pancakefrompele
06-16-2010, 11:38 PM
I've been on the lookout for a new job. I'm at the point of slamming my head into the desk at my current employer. I'm more than half-way finished with college (I wasn't able to start going back until the age of 24 - thanks FAFSA), and I cannot figure out how to market myself. I want so desperately to transition from social services, but I feel like I'm stuck in a big black hole with no way out! :( At any rate, thanks for letting me bitch! I needed it.

Dave
06-17-2010, 01:18 PM
I just sent this email to my boss:

Any news on my raise? The contemplation that new Supers are supposedly starting out at, or near the same rate as myself is more than just a little infuriating. I'm assuredly not a Godsend to that place, but I most assuredly do pull my weight and have trained countless people, but to mention that I have been with the place for over 3 years. I am not feeling my worth. The OT has been great, but that will be coming to an end, and I would like some sort of compensation. It hasn't started with -------'s (future supervisor for 2nd) possible increase, -----(previous supervisor for 2nd) made nearly as much as myself, and, honestly, I just don't see how. Surely I am worth more than the starter rate for a fledgling Supervisor with little to no experience?

I only mention this primarily due to the fact that a raise was talked about for me several months ago. And, although I know you said you have put in a raise for me recently, I've become more than a little accustomed to the possibility that it could all be the same customary brainwashing, or vacant promises. I am not blaming you, rather, am querulous as to how the heck the equilibrium is established by showing those deserving, that they do, indeed, deserve it.

JayPeaches
06-17-2010, 01:27 PM
I have very little understanding of graphic design, but my job requires me to do some text edits in InDesign. Easy, right? Wrong. Our graphics dude is extremely threated by my knowledge (lack of!) of InDesign and absolutely refuses to release files to me without stomping and throwing a fit and being told by an owner of the company that he has to do it.

Is there any reason why the designer can't make the changes? I'm not saying he isn't a massive tool (he might be), but I am pretty psycho about people going into my InDesign files to make "simple text changes" because they always FUCK UP MY FILES. They don't use soft returns when appropriate, they don't apply style sheets, they attempt to add 72 dpi images they downloaded from the internet, blah blah blah. It's not that I feel "threatened" by them making changes (because, you know, they SUCK at using InDesign), it's that every single time it ends up taking me MORE time to fix everything they fucked up than it would have taken me to just make the changes in the first place. One day I came in from lunch and my computer was so fucked up that I had to do a hard reboot (pressing the power key until my Mac shut off). Turns out one of my co-workers had "tried to make some quick text changes." I mean, really? You couldn't wait until I got back from lunch? ARGH!!! InDesign isn't a word processor, and a lot of times I have a lot more going on in one little text box than they know about.

I finally had to go to my boss and tell her to tell everyone else to stay the fuck away from my computer unless they've got me on the phone, guiding them through it. Even then I've had to password-protect it to make sure.

This might be where he's coming from! Or maybe he is just a whiny baby.

ami t
06-17-2010, 01:41 PM
My colleague, who's nearly 40 recently threw all her toys out the pram when the boss wouldn't buy her ice-cream when it was hot. This was couple of weeks ago but she's still banging on about it! I told her today the was she behaved was unprofessional. It's a dismal day when I'm the sensible, grown-up one. I tried to tell her that just because it's hot, doesn't make it "difficult working conditions". Besides, if you want ice-cream, buy it yourself. Don't expect someone to get it for you! She didn't even get one for herself after it was refused. Pathetic.

I love my actual job, but the people can make it hell.

Yesterday, the guy that sits behind me told my other colleague how he and his wife hadn't had sex for over 5 years! Inappropriate much?

Whappo
06-17-2010, 02:08 PM
My current colleagues talk about their sex lives VERY candidly as well. It makes me so uncomfortable (as I've met and continue to see their partners), and also I don't care, shut up.

Autumn
06-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Is there any reason why the designer can't make the changes? I'm not saying he isn't a massive tool (he might be), but I am pretty psycho about people going into my InDesign files to make "simple text changes" because they always FUCK UP MY FILES. They don't use soft returns when appropriate, they don't apply style sheets, they attempt to add 72 dpi images they downloaded from the internet, blah blah blah. It's not that I feel "threatened" by them making changes (because, you know, they SUCK at using InDesign), it's that every single time it ends up taking me MORE time to fix everything they fucked up than it would have taken me to just make the changes in the first place. One day I came in from lunch and my computer was so fucked up that I had to do a hard reboot (pressing the power key until my Mac shut off). Turns out one of my co-workers had "tried to make some quick text changes." I mean, really? You couldn't wait until I got back from lunch? ARGH!!! InDesign isn't a word processor, and a lot of times I have a lot more going on in one little text box than they know about.

I finally had to go to my boss and tell her to tell everyone else to stay the fuck away from my computer unless they've got me on the phone, guiding them through it. Even then I've had to password-protect it to make sure.

This might be where he's coming from! Or maybe he is just a whiny baby.

I am trying to learn where he's coming from because I honestly don't get it. He's not supposed to make extensive text changes because he's not a word processor (and when he does, he always spells something wrong or misses bullet points or something. It's horrible, honestly). He gets paid to be a graphic designer, not to type. That's what I'm told.

A little info about him: Talking to him is like talking to a cloud. You can see it, you know it's there, but when you get close to it, it disappears and there really isn't any substance. He can't explain anything. Asking him one yes/no question takes five minutes. If it requires an explanation, plan on twenty minutes. He isn't a good communicator, and I'm not the only one who experiences this. He isn't a word processor. It takes him ages. He types with two fingers. He's not fast. My boss will hand write and/or type out himself 30, 40, 50 and more pages that he wants processed and returned to him by the end of the day. GD guy can't do that. I can, but I can't do it in InDesign because he says I'm not capable. I think I could be capable if someone could explain some things to me - WHY can't I use a hard return? SHOW me what it messes up so I understand. EXPLAIN linking and re-linking to me. If the file you are linking to hasn't moved and hasn't changed, can't you just click a button to re-link? He can't explain this to me because, well, talk to a cloud and tell me what you get from it. He's tried to show other people InDesign, but he can't effectively explain what he is doing with his hotkeys and can't effectively explain the functions, so it's pretty impossible. We're all pretty sure he's on LSD or something.

I do understand that there is lots that I DON'T understand about InDesign. I don't want to believe that it's not feasible for two people to work in it, though! The problem is that my boss works fast and expects fast results. GD guy can't deliver fast results, but he's really good at GD. I can deliver fast results, but I'm not a designer! I keep reading/hearing that InDesign isn't a word processor, yet we use it to develop 50-100 page proposals containing paragraphs and paragraphs on nearly every page.

Is there a word processing program where I can process and format, and then he can drop it in to InDesign without much re-formatting? We tried using RTF files, but he still complained about formatting and hard returns AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND how I am supposed to indicate bullets, paragraphs, tabs, etc. if he doesn't want them there at all. :(

And he is a whiny baby. But so am I.

SoulQuake
06-18-2010, 02:27 PM
I loathe my job.

That is all.

ChasingTornados
06-18-2010, 02:33 PM
I loathe my job.

That is all.

haha, that's what I should have posted!

Yesterday, missy called and was like: 'soooo.. You don't have to come in tomorrow cause it's gonna be quiet anyway. So you can have a nice day at home! Yay!'

I KNEW it! There go my hours.. How am i gonna pay for all my new furniture? Is she gonna finance everything? I need hours, damnit and she knows it. She made it sound like she was doing me a huge favor by letting me stay at home... I was so pissed, but i just grumbled and went 'ok, sure'.

The kicker?!? I still have to drop by at night (like around midnight) to get the wallet for tomorrow's lunch shift. She's such a smart cookie..

Octopussy
06-18-2010, 02:37 PM
I work with spoiled brat college students who whine when they actually have to work at work, instead of stand around and talk.

JayPeaches
06-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Is there a word processing program where I can process and format, and then he can drop it in to InDesign without much re-formatting?
InDesign will recognize style sheets from Word, but my co-workers are all on PCs and I'm on a Mac, so crossing platforms creates some issues. I honestly don't mind formatting all the copy - I actually like doing it. But yes, if your designer is savvy enough, he could create a Word document with the same style sheet names as his InDesign document. But then you would have to apply those style sheets to every item of text that you type, which could be time-consuming and is technically HIS job.

I know what he's talking about with the hard returns and having to re-format bullets. For example, my co-workers typically insert a tab at the beginning of each paragraph and press return twice at the end of paragraph (to create extra space between paragraphs). But the style sheet that I have set up in InDesign for that particular portion of copy has an indent and a space before each paragraph built in (this allows me more control, so if I decide I want to increase ALL the indents, I only have to adjust the style sheet once). This means that I have to go in and remove all the tabs and extra returns. But it's not a big freakin' deal! I can do a find/replace and have that fixed in less than 60 seconds. I guess I could tell my co-workers not to tab the paragraphs, but they have other things to worry about than trying to save me 60 seconds of work.

We tried using RTF files, but he still complained about formatting and hard returns AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND how I am supposed to indicate bullets, paragraphs, tabs, etc. if he doesn't want them there at all. :(

Here's how we do it:
My co-workers submit all text to me in a Word document without style sheets. There's some auto-formatting in there, like when you have a numbered list and Word auto-formats it for you. If they've bulleted text, I'll have to re-format that stuff. But at least that lets me know, "Hey, this section should be bulleted."

Once I've printed the first proof, it gets circulated for further editorial review. THis process cracks me up because isn't that the point of the FIRST approval process? But whatever, they always manage to find things they didn't catch the first time. I'll make minor changes. If an entire paragraph needs to be re-typed, I can do it...but usually they will do it and email it to me. I'll replace the paragraph and apply the appropriate style sheet (takes like 1 second). If your designer has style sheets set up properly, he should not be complaining about this sort of thing.

If there was a pressing need for my co-workers to be able to go into my files and make changes (like if we worked different shifts/days), I would probably just get everyone together and give them a crash course in my InDesign style sheets and how I format text (when to use soft return, when to use "space before", how to line up baselines, etc.). But we all work the same hours, and I'm always here so I really don't see the need to cross-train everyone on something when I have no problem doing it myself. Plus I am a control freak when it comes to my files, but I think this is typical for designers.

secretsekertary
06-18-2010, 03:19 PM
<3

JayPeaches
06-18-2010, 03:43 PM
But this is not enough. They still want it as a Word document and don't understand why it cannot be this way. I say, can't you just make your edits in red by hand on the PDF, then give it back to the designer to edit in InDesign?

Your entire post made me cringe in agony! Yes, the PDF should be printed, marked up, and given to the designer for changes.

I'm fortunate that my department is the graphic standards and communications police for the entire hospital, so we're able to address things like this. If we see a squished logo on a flyer, we have the authority to pull them down. We have over 3,000 employees and our hospital is 500+ beds (read: HUGE). When swine flu hit, you cannot imagine how many nurse managers decided to make their own flu germs flyers and post them everywhere. It was a fucking disaster, and I'm not even talking about how they were designed (the real disaster was from the communications standpoint - no consistency to the message).

Sometimes it seems like every other employee with access to Word or Publisher (the horror) thinks they're a designer and can make pretty posters and flyers to stick all over the walls of our hospital. It's so frustrating because we work so hard to maintain a cohesive image and brand, only to have a patient walk into the hospital and see 10 different cliparty flu posters (with conflicting messages) everywhere.

Lord Rask of Trevdale
06-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Yesterday, I got called into a meeting with the owners of the business I manage. They are very lovely people and I've worked with them forever.

They told me that over the past few months, they could tell that I didn't like coming to work any more. They commended me for sticking with it and trying to make it work, but they said it made them sad to see how hard I was "trying to be happy."

So, they let me go. . with 3 months full salary, no-contest to unemployment, benefits for 6 months, and they let me keep the laptop they just got for me. It was so weird because they were both crying and hugging me and telling me to stay in contact with them. I've never had such an emotional dismissal.

They said they would help me in any way they could with finding a position, but they urged me to take some time and figure out what it is I really want to do.

So, I'm upset but not really angry with them. They couldn't have been sweeter. . . and truth be told, I hated that job lately.

I think I'm going to try to get an office/government job. I need a 9-5 so I can do theatre at nights and on weekends. I've been ignoring that part of my life for too long, and I really miss it.

I dunno, I'm nervous and excited. I'm sure it's going to hit me some time this week, and I'm going to hyperventilate and self-medicate with a bottle of Cuervo. . but ya know . . part for the course.

-Jacob.

JayPeaches
06-18-2010, 03:53 PM
I dunno, I'm nervous and excited. I'm sure it's going to hit me some time this week, and I'm going to hyperventilate and self-medicate with a bottle of Cuervo. . but ya know . . part for the course.
That sucks, but it also sounds like this will ultimately be a good thing for you. Having 3-months severance will probably help keep the anxiety at bay for, well, three months (;l), but I'd start getting resumes out asap.

Good luck!

secretsekertary
06-18-2010, 03:56 PM
<3

Faust
06-18-2010, 07:27 PM
My manager should really stop with the passive-aggressive jabs. Just telling me what he wants would be so much easier.

Autumn
06-18-2010, 07:47 PM
InDesign will recognize style sheets from Word, but my co-workers are all on PCs and I'm on a Mac, so crossing platforms creates some issues. I honestly don't mind formatting all the copy - I actually like doing it. But yes, if your designer is savvy enough, he could create a Word document with the same style sheet names as his InDesign document. But then you would have to apply those style sheets to every item of text that you type, which could be time-consuming and is technically HIS job.

He tried creating templates in Word, saving them as RTFs, and having us edit those for a particular type of form we have to use with the government (SF330 forms, not much flexibility with those, and mostly text). He could link them in, but still had to reformat. Because the paragraphs of information often varied in length, and because the tables he somehow set up in InDesign weren't adjustable (??), it caused problems.

I know what he's talking about with the hard returns and having to re-format bullets. For example, my co-workers typically insert a tab at the beginning of each paragraph and press return twice at the end of paragraph (to create extra space between paragraphs). But the style sheet that I have set up in InDesign for that particular portion of copy has an indent and a space before each paragraph built in (this allows me more control, so if I decide I want to increase ALL the indents, I only have to adjust the style sheet once). This means that I have to go in and remove all the tabs and extra returns. But it's not a big freakin' deal! I can do a find/replace and have that fixed in less than 60 seconds. I guess I could tell my co-workers not to tab the paragraphs, but they have other things to worry about than trying to save me 60 seconds of work.

OK, that makes sense. It also makes sense that it takes 60 seconds to correct something like that. He flails his arms and makes lots of noise about how he has to go in and make all these corrections, but it seems like you should be able to do a find/replace or whatever. We don't indent paragraphs, but I do have two hard returns at the end of my paragraphs because that's what 12 years of word processing has taught me and no one has ever been able to explain to me why that doesn't work when you're using InDesign. Seriously, I have asked him that question and get a bunch of jumbled words in return and walk away with nothing. The problem is my boss is like Roxy's expects me to be able to modify and create things that look pretty, or be able to make it happen, and don't quite understand why I can't do it. GD guy works pretty slow, so it can be frustrating to produce results as quickly as they are expected.

Here's how we do it:
My co-workers submit all text to me in a Word document without style sheets. There's some auto-formatting in there, like when you have a numbered list and Word auto-formats it for you. If they've bulleted text, I'll have to re-format that stuff. But at least that lets me know, "Hey, this section should be bulleted."

Once I've printed the first proof, it gets circulated for further editorial review. THis process cracks me up because isn't that the point of the FIRST approval process? But whatever, they always manage to find things they didn't catch the first time. I'll make minor changes. If an entire paragraph needs to be re-typed, I can do it...but usually they will do it and email it to me. I'll replace the paragraph and apply the appropriate style sheet (takes like 1 second). If your designer has style sheets set up properly, he should not be complaining about this sort of thing.

If there was a pressing need for my co-workers to be able to go into my files and make changes (like if we worked different shifts/days), I would probably just get everyone together and give them a crash course in my InDesign style sheets and how I format text (when to use soft return, when to use "space before", how to line up baselines, etc.). But we all work the same hours, and I'm always here so I really don't see the need to cross-train everyone on something when I have no problem doing it myself. Plus I am a control freak when it comes to my files, but I think this is typical for designers.

Here's how our process goes: Two or three brainstorming sessions about how we're going to lay out the proposal. My boss hand writes a table of contents and several other things he wants included, and asks for it to start being put together. We come up with a list of projects and assemble those photo sheets. My boss begins writing sections and paragraphs when he can, emailing them to me to be inserted into the proposal. During this process, he's asking for "a draft to this point" so he can change things. He changes resumes, descriptions, firm profiles, quality control plans, EVERYTHING every.single.time we submit something. The redlines are never ending. I have a stack of redlines 8 inches high from this proposal we put together this week. We always have a final final of the final draft making the last rounds because it's constantly being changed. Even on the last day, my boss was inserting a whole paged of text that he typed out the night before, which needed formatting, proofing, dropped in, etc. It's a constant flow of information to be processed and formatted, GD guy can't keep up with it, but gets angry when you try to help. EVERYTHING I do he complains about. He complained that we didn't send the book to print until the afternoon because we were proofing it, but we found multiple errors that he made that would have been embarrassing had they not been caught.

As previously stated, GD guys is not a word processor. I gave him two sentences to type into the proposal this week, and he got them both wrong. I also gave him numerous consistency and formatting changes (approved by the CEO, because I knew GD would expect that) that he just flat out didn't make. Earlier this week, I asked him to correct the spelling of some people's names (they were wrong) and he asked if those changes had been approved by the CEO. WTF?! I think spelling the Chairman of the Board's name is something we can just do without approval, you know? Argh.

Thank you very much for your input on this. It's really helpful.

Mike_P
06-18-2010, 11:49 PM
Oh, gosh, I sympathize with you all. I currently work in a very "Devil Wears Prada" environment except my boss is way more crazy and probably 10x less fashionable.

This wasn't one of her bigger blow-ups, but it happened today and it kind of really bugged me just because it was so unnecessary. My supervisor and I are in charge of ordering coffee (it's both of us because she needs to have a hand in everything I do...it's the worst micromanagement I've ever seen. She wants me to tell her where I'll be every time I leave my desk, but I don't do that because I think that's dumb. Anyway, that's a post for another day, haha.) We've had trouble with the company we order coffee from because the green tea we order has been back ordered for the past 5 or so weeks; it's really frustrating. The president of our small little company loooves the green tea. In fact, she orders it with company money, but she forbids anyone else from drinking it. Anyway, we've kept her afloat of the whole back-order issue so she is fully aware. Meanwhile, my supervisor and I have been looking into other coffee vendors. I don't make the decisions, my supervisor does, so she's really the one who is supposed to find the new vendor. Of course, my supervisor was out of office today and, of course, today would be the day that our president would FLIP THE FUCK OUT about not having green tea.

First thing this morning, she stampedes down to my desk and starts SCREAMING at me because we don't have green tea: "I want that goddamn tea! This is absolutely ridiculous! I don't ask for much, but I want this taken care of right now!" The crazy bitch is the most demanding person I've ever met so I don't know what she meant by that. I can't accurately portray the violent screaming she does in this post. Literally, people run into the bathrooms crying every day. She calls people stupid and worthless to their faces. Like I said, the green tea issue today wasn't as amazing as some of the other things she does, but it bugged me soooo much! It's green tea, for Christ's sake! And she SCREAMED at me.

EDIT: I don't know if I made it seem like it's my fault or not that we don't have green tea, haha. I swear, it's not!

Medusa
06-21-2010, 08:30 PM
That sounds like a NIGHTMARE, Mike.

My boss is going to Europe for a couple weeks, so she's in for only 2 days this week. It's 2 work days of pure hell before I can hopefully relax a little bit- she's flipping out about EVERYTHING today. An employee was 5 minutes late (my boss is late for everything, often by 20-30 min) and she just lost it with them. She's at me and at me over forms I said I would make while she's gone but should magically have finished before I left on Friday.

The kicker? I'm going to a friend's wedding and hs friend reunion the first weekend of July, and I asked for about 4 working days off in order to relax a bit and spend time with my sister prior to her wedding. My boss would still be out of town at that point, so there's no real reason for the office to be open for regular hours.

My boss gets all cranky: "that's a lot of time to take off" (July 1 - July 7 was the initial proposal) and "it just seems like awful timing" (SHE'S GONE TOO). I book the tickets for late July 1, arrival early July 6 so I can still work both those days. Then, last week, she does what she always does.

"Since I'm out of the office all that time in early July, I was thinking that you should probably take a couple extra days off, beyond what you're planning on for your friend's wedding."
"You asked me NOT to."
"Oh, I just meant you shouldn't be out of town that long."
"What difference does it make if I'm taking the day off here or in Denver? I'll be checking voicemail either way."
"Oh, I just think you should take time off here to relax."

Whappo
06-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Had to work 20 extra minutes today because nobody would move onto the floor and take over from me. I will not be paid for those 20 minutes. I had to go straight to my bus rather than go shopping. :(

secretsekertary
06-22-2010, 05:00 PM
<3

.chris
06-22-2010, 06:06 PM
I so want to make a career change, but it is not in the cards for me right now. I was out of work for 6 months, so when I got this new job in March I was grateful for what I could get. It has its perks: closer commute, more normal hours, matched pay. But I really would love to get out of the industry I'm in. However, in the current economy, if people can't even get jobs in their own fields, it will be impossible for me to make the switch.

blahhhhhhhhhhhh.

SoulQuake
06-22-2010, 07:58 PM
I loathe my job.

That is all.

I'm now thinking this sentiment wasn't strong enough.

Medusa
06-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Oh MumbletyPeg, I would be so PISSED if my boss told me not only WHEN to take my vacation, but also HOW to spend it (i.e. nearby, just in case she needs to call.) Oh hell no!

She does that with my personal life all the time- she has no sense of boundaries.

This exchange happened yesterday and I am STILL livid:

My boss has me:
1) Handwrite a calendar for her that hangs on a clipboard in the office
2) Add all events into the ical on her laptop
3) Physically take her ipod out of her purse to sync the calendar from her computer to it

Last Friday, SHE tells me to schedule something at 3:30 on Monday. I say "OK" and schedule it, then follow steps 1 - 3 above.

Yesterday at 3:00, she comes in and looks at the clipboard.

"When did this get on here?"
"What? Your 3:30? Last Friday. You told me to schedule it."
"I have no memory of this."
"Well, regardless- it's there and I put it on your calendars."
"When the fuck did you do that?"
"Uh, FRIDAY. When you TOLD me to."
"It's not on my ipod, it's not on my computer, it's not on my photocopied calendar."
"The first two can't be possible as I did that. I'm not responsible for the third. I have no idea when you photocopied the calendar."
"Well, that's your responsibility."
"Photocopying your calendar? I didn't know you did that or that you wanted it."
"Well whatever about the photocopy, the problem is that you didn't fucking put it on my ipod so I had no idea it happened and now I planned my afternoon otherwise, so this is a huge fucking mistake and I can't understand why it's so fucking difficult for you to just update the fucking calendar the way I tell you to."
"I updated the calendars the way I'm supposed to."
"NO YOU DIDN'T! NO YOU DIDN'T! Here! LET ME SHOW YOU HOW YOU DIDN'T!"

She grabs her computer and says "See, you didn't...oh...well...it's on here...OK, well YOU DIDN'T SYNC MY IPOD! LET ME SHOW YOU MY IPOD! Oh...well...it's in this list format on my ipod that's hard to read. How can anyone read this? You need to make it clear. You need to type "3:30 - 4:30" SO I SEE IT, OK? Oh, so...well... I guess this was...hm... I guess it was sort of an oversight."

YOU GUESS IT WAS SORT OF AN OVERSIGHT? OH, REALLY? SORT OF? FUCK. YOU.

Hypatia
06-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Had to work 20 extra minutes today because nobody would move onto the floor and take over from me. I will not be paid for those 20 minutes. I had to go straight to my bus rather than go shopping. :(

If there is someone above that person, complain. Working without getting paid is unconstitutional.

Medusa
06-23-2010, 12:05 AM
And if your boss says something to verify that you will not be paid for that amount of time put in, they can get in SERIOUS shit for it in addition to the fact that the company's already in trouble for letting it happen in the first place. I think the excuse they give is that, with sales or jobs where someone has to be present, you can't just abandon a post--- fine, but don't tell the employee to clock out or that they won't be paid!

Whappo
06-23-2010, 12:15 AM
I assume I won't get paid because I don't think I've ever been paid overtime for stuff like this before (e.g. when we've stayed on late during stock takes because my co-workers have trouble counting things). They just don't pay attention to it. They've even told me about how hilarious it was that when a co-worker started working with them they forgot to give her a lunch break for several days because she didn't say anything!
I'm going to bring it up, but it's going to be awkward and horrible and could screw me over for the next couple of months (and potentially in the long term). Proof that this job has DESTROYED MY SOUL.

devnull
06-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Andrew, what happened to the awesome library job? Did you not take that?

SageBrushFire
06-23-2010, 12:26 AM
The other day my boss called and told me she was writing me up for not communicating with her. Apparently e-mailing her 5 times and not getting a reply is my fault.

She also thinks I should drive 130 miles both ways to see a student outside of my district and only get paid $10 for gas. Oh, did I mention the student has cerebral palsy and is in special care? No, I am not qualified nor do I have any experience with special needs students. I got paid $26 to drive 130 miles and waste 4 hours of my day (The student could only handle 1 hour of "tutoring").

Whappo
06-23-2010, 12:30 AM
Andrew, what happened to the awesome library job? Did you not take that?
Yes, but it doesn't start until September. And, and! My current employer still has to write a reference. I'm terrified that they'll screw me over.

devnull
06-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Oh god, that has the potential for epic awkwardness. My sympathies...

Whappo
06-23-2010, 12:39 AM
And this is the thing! They can effectively walk all over me until this reference is written and my new job is a certainty. And I have nightmarish visions of said new job calling me up and removing the job offer because the reference took too long. I need to just stop worrying.

devnull
06-23-2010, 12:47 AM
That sounds truly awful! Just be the most professional and awesome version of yourself as you can be. I bet hiring people are used to lame and fucked up bosses who either don't give references or give obviously hostile ones.

It's very good you're getting out of there.

Hypatia
06-23-2010, 01:10 AM
The other day my boss called and told me she was writing me up for not communicating with her. Apparently e-mailing her 5 times and not getting a reply is my fault.

She also thinks I should drive 130 miles both ways to see a student outside of my district and only get paid $10 for gas. Oh, did I mention the student has cerebral palsy and is in special care? No, I am not qualified nor do I have any experience with special needs students. I got paid $26 to drive 130 miles and waste 4 hours of my day (The student could only handle 1 hour of "tutoring").

Whether they reimburse you or you take it off your taxes, you are owed a certain amount per mile. 2010 standard is 50˘ per mile.

JayPeaches
06-23-2010, 02:04 AM
Whether they reimburse you or you take it off your taxes, you are owed a certain amount per mile. 2010 standard is 50˘ per mile.

The amount is set by the IRS, but your employer is not required to pay the total. If you aren't paid the total, you can put the difference on your tax return. Or at least, that's how the asshats at the publisher I used to work for managed to screw me over.

Medusa
06-23-2010, 03:20 AM

But not if you're a contract employee, I THINK. Dunno what the situation is here; I know with our tutors, they're all contract so they're usually not compensated for drive time unless it's a serious distance. We just pay them a higher hourly rate to help diffuse that cost.

SageBrushFire
06-23-2010, 04:04 AM
But not if you're a contract employee, I THINK. Dunno what the situation is here; I know with our tutors, they're all contract so they're usually not compensated for drive time unless it's a serious distance. We just pay them a higher hourly rate to help diffuse that cost.

That's how it works for me. I get paid $4 an hour more than the people in-office as a gas incentive. The only problem is that if you drive 65 miles to see someone and they only need to be tutored for an hour, you get screwed. I try to only agree to do it when I have 2 or 3 kids in the same city, then I can get $16-$32 a kid and if I see at least 2 then I'm not just wasting gas. The problem is that my boss likes to schedule me students with different amounts of time left so I graduate 2 of them and I have one straggler with 13 hours left and no one else can fill in :( (I'm filling in for a woman who resigned recently in that area.)

All the same I'm really banking on these jobs I applied for in Texas: Digital Media Online Instructor or IT Help Desk. Either one would be better than this! (I do love helping the kids; I just can't handle the driving and paperwork).

JayPeaches
06-23-2010, 01:40 PM
If you're required to drive as part of your job, keep track of your mileage and you can deduct it from your taxes. It's a pain, but I bet it'll add up to a significant amount of money.

Lágnætti
06-23-2010, 02:36 PM
I assume I won't get paid because I don't think I've ever been paid overtime for stuff like this before (e.g. when we've stayed on late during stock takes because my co-workers have trouble counting things). They just don't pay attention to it. They've even told me about how hilarious it was that when a co-worker started working with them they forgot to give her a lunch break for several days because she didn't say anything!
I'm going to bring it up, but it's going to be awkward and horrible and could screw me over for the next couple of months (and potentially in the long term). Proof that this job has DESTROYED MY SOUL.

It's illegal for you to work without pay. No matter how ditzy and cutesy-dumb your management likes to play, they should know that and reimburse you or at give you time in lieu off for it. Just be absolutely matter-of-fact about it. It's the law and that is basically that.

Anyway, some of the stories in this thread make me want to punch people. Screaming at workers over fucking tea? Indeed, screaming at all? Nobody should have to take that. Do the words 'workplace bullying' and 'hostile work environment' mean anything to anyone anymore? Also, nobody who thinks that behavior is ok is fit to be in management although it increasingly seems, along with being incompetent, to be the main qualification for the role.

JayPeaches
06-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Honestly, out of seven jobs I've had two bosses that were great, one that was okay, and four that were fucking atrocious.

I was once hired into the marketing department of a manufacturing company for the sole purpose of being a punching bag for my boss. He convinced management that he was so fucking over-worked that he just couldn't take it anymore and absolutely had to have a designer reporting directly to him (he wasn't interested in a designer with equal seniority). In two and a half years I never had more than 15-20 hours worth of work in a week, and he had maybe 20. He never let me do anything because I wasn't "good enough" to be trusted with anything. When I did do something well that my co-workers and his boss appreciated, he would then chide me for wasting so much time on such an "insignificant project."

When I left (he fired me after I told him to go fuck himself), I found out that I had a file in HR that was a mile long. Every chance he got, he went to HR to report on my "bad attitude," "poor performance," and "general tardiness." He had completely fabricated specific incidents that detailed all of these grievances. Completely fabricated them! I was literally speechless. I mean, what do you say to that? "He made it all up!" No one would even believe that, since he consistently did it over a period of two years.

I think he chose me because he saw me as a young, naive, cute girl that he could manipulate and abuse. Sadly, he did. It got to the point where I went home crying almost every single day, but I was too stupid to just quit and find something else. I kept thinking, "but this could be such a great job! Maybe if I could find something else within the company..." Of course he may sure I never did. Every time I tried to move out of the department, he would badmouth me to the hiring manager for the open position.

But I believe in karma...what goes around comes around.

Chalk
06-23-2010, 03:33 PM
What an asshole!
Did you at least slash his tires? Or peed in his coffee?

My bosses haven't been that bad, but I did struggle with my last one. I've had the same part time job for many, many years. It's ok when the custumers aren't cunts. But my boss went on maternity leave two years ago, and we got stuck with a horrible boss. She wasn't mean or anything, but she was very passive agressive, a control freak and really bad at communicating with her staff. Also, we work in retail and she was a loooousy sales person. Not that I expect anyone to be exceptionally good at it either, but she always ignored custumers even though they were right in front of her. That is unacceptable, specially during the finacial crisis when we were struggling, and she kept on nagging us about "sell! sell! sell!".

We were also used to decorate the store and change things up all the time. With her, she wouldn't let anyone touch anything because she was going to do it. Well, she was going to do everything and there was never time so stuff was always lying around and I hated that because when there is no custumers I can't just stare at a pile of goods waiting to be placed. She never said directly that she alone was in charge of placing and decorating. I always worked the late shift and she the day shift, so I did my job like I always had. But then I hear from my co-workers that she went ballistic when I re-decorated and placed new items on display. Yes, she told my co-workers, and yelled at them that it was all wrong even though she never told anyone what was wrong.

The same week I tried to talk to her and tell her that if she had any problems or certain preferences with what I did she should tell me so. Her response to that? "....", literally. She looked at me like I was speaking another language.

After that first month I decided that I wasn't in fucking high school and do my job like I always had, and if she had issues on how I did things to talk to me personally or when not possible at least write a note with my name on it - she is my boss after all. She never did, and I always had to hear from co-workers. It went on through the whole year she was there.

She screwed me and my co-workers on extra shifts too. She hired two new people and gave them more hours, without asking us who had been working there for years first if we wanted that. At the time I failed in demanding that she offer us some of those shifts (the new co workers had already signed the contracts), but it was at the same time my dad had died and I really wasn't there, ya know? I still feel like an idiot because of that.

Oh, and with certain employees, she would talk smack behind everybodys back. Did I mention that she's 36 years old? She behaved like spoiled teenager.

Medusa
06-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Do the words 'workplace bullying' and 'hostile work environment' mean anything to anyone anymore?
Not unless you mention a lawyer, it seems.

I've said "hostile work environment" to my boss a couple of times. She'll cool down for a couple weeks then ratchet up again. At this point, I save any e-mails she sends to me and any notes that are obnoxious. Unfortunately, most of her shit comes from blowouts with me and there are seldom any witnesses.

She's the only boss I've ever had who was this insane.

JayPeaches
06-23-2010, 07:57 PM
What an asshole!
Did you at least slash his tires? Or peed in his coffee?

No...but you know, after he fired me, he lost his ENTIRE circle of friends at work (and he certainly didn't have any other friends outside of that). No one would associate with him in any way outside the office. I think that was probably pretty brutal for him, because we had a big group that always went to lunch together, partied together on the weekends, etc. They even went on a trip to Europe once (I didn't go on that one). I still hang out with those people now, but no one has so much as spoken to him unless they have to. It's been seven years.

Lágnætti
06-24-2010, 09:02 PM
When I left (he fired me after I told him to go fuck himself), I found out that I had a file in HR that was a mile long. Every chance he got, he went to HR to report on my "bad attitude," "poor performance," and "general tardiness." He had completely fabricated specific incidents that detailed all of these grievances. Completely fabricated them! I was literally speechless. I mean, what do you say to that? "He made it all up!" No one would even believe that, since he consistently did it over a period of two years..

12 or so years ago I had a thoroughly miserable, notoriously bullying and frowsty old cow of a boss do the same to me after she fired me from a civil service casual contract low-level office job because I stood up to her idiotic bullying attempts and told her to please fire me when she tried to threaten me with such a dire fate for my terrific insubordination in pointing out two days' work simply could not be realistically done in half a morning.

The report was just stunning. She tried to make out I couldn't alphabeticalize! She also called me a 'disruptive influence' to my face which amazed the other staff who thought I was a quiet little thing (I was!). In fact the report, which I showed to everybody, had people drop-jawed in awe or hysterical with laughter. Meanwhile, people at the office who wanted to meet me for lunch etc, had to sneak out of the office under various pretexts, as my name apparently become a temper-tantrum trigger for the poor dear after I contacted my MP and had the stupid thing stricken from the record, causing her to have to explain the whole thing to her bosses. Hilarity!

Seriously though, the vindictiveness of it stunned me at the time. Not now, though. I've come to find that a large percentage of people who gravitate into these positions are basically completely unfit to handle the power and indeed often seek these positions for entirely the wrong reasons. I'm extremely reasonable with and loyal to good, considerate bosses, but my experience has taught me they're rare.

JayPeaches
06-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Today my boss called our rep at the local newspaper to see if we could "buy" their friend list on Facebook. Speechless, is what I am.

Chalk
06-24-2010, 09:35 PM
^^Oh, that sounds like it deserve an entry in Not Always Right (http://notalwaysright.com/)....

sara
06-24-2010, 09:41 PM
^ I love that website. i've been reading bits of it daily since I discovered it.

Chalk
06-24-2010, 09:56 PM
^ I love that website. i've been reading bits of it daily since I discovered it.

Me too!

Faust
06-24-2010, 11:42 PM
How hard is it for people to know the difference between a latte and a cappuccino?

ej
06-25-2010, 01:42 AM
How hard is it for people to know the difference between a latte and a cappuccino?Seriously? Can't I just have a plain old coffee, though?

sara
06-25-2010, 01:45 AM
Seriously? Can't I just have a plain old coffee, though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQxgv4QtKM8

cinny~lou
06-25-2010, 01:45 AM
How hard is it for people to know the difference between a latte and a cappuccino?

If I hadn't worked as a barista for a year and a half, I wouldn't know, either!

<-- Not a coffee drinker.

JayPeaches
06-25-2010, 01:51 AM

http://donadamanga.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/miranda_priestly_devil.jpg

Faust
06-25-2010, 01:58 AM
If I hadn't worked as a barista for a year and a half, I wouldn't know, either!

Fair enough. I've been working a lot lately and so I've been cranky lately. I probably wouldn't know the difference either had I not been working behind the counter for three years.

secretsekertary
07-02-2010, 12:32 AM
<3

Canodiva1
07-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Okay, I mostly hate my job. Who am I kidding? I've been here a whopping 5 months, and I freaking hate it. Don't mind me, I'm just going to be curled up in the fetal position in the corner trying to figure out what to do with my life now.

Whappo
07-03-2010, 08:42 PM
If I have to pick up extra hours on top of my own at 30 minute's notice, and then switch shifts with you for the next day because you're feeling sick, I am doing you a favour. Don't try to tell me you're doing me a favour by "giving me more hours." Hours are great! When I feel like I have an option to add them and when I know about them in advance. But thanks for making me feel like I'm getting everyone else's scraps because nobody else can cover for you.

JayPeaches
07-06-2010, 08:47 PM
OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!! I'm throwing a temper tantrum in my head right now.

My boss handles all of our media buying, and I advised her last year around contract negotiation time NOT TO BUY that stupid-ass editor's page adjacency in the local magazine because it means we have to create this random 1/3 page vertical ad every now and then. It's just stupid, annoying, and a waste of money. She agreed, but then let the magazine's rep guilt her into signing another contract for it anyway.

Well, she just came in my office, shrieking about how the Magazine called and said they got our full page ad, but where is the 1/3 vertical adjacency? She's all, "I don't know what to do, what should we put there?! Why did I agree to do this adjacency again?!"

!!!

Autumn
07-07-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm mourning.

I was told this morning I'm being pulled completely out of project administration and going to be full-time marketing. I've been told that before, I was hired to be full-time marketing, but I always end up going back to project administration (because I'm great at it *toots horn*). But I'm still mourning. I really, really, really prefer project administration and the CA's prefer me over the other admin staff *toots horn louder*. The CA's were pretty bummed when I told them, but of course, I will still do whatever they ask me to do. Which is everything. So far, I've been "full-time marketing" for an hour and a half. And I've spent that entire time doing project administration. "I know you don't do this anymore, but...", "Can you just do this one thing for me...", :mad: :(

Medusa
07-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Need to vent, no one needs to read.

Had huge checklist of work to complete while boss is gone. Completed a handful of gigantic projects. DIDN'T complete a couple smaller ones and was very up front about my progress with her in my messages to her in Italy (obviously she never checked these).

So my meeting yesterday, her first day back:

Me: Here are the reports on X that you asked me to go through, and I did X and Y and Z.

Her: WHY DIDN'T YOU DUST? I ASKED YOU TO DO THAT, I REALLY DON'T GET HOW A SIMPLE THING LIKE THAT DOESN'T GET COMPLETED!

Me: I prioritized greater office projects over dusting and smaller cleaning projects. I told you that in my message last week.

Her: So, you sat around and twiddled your thumbs, then?

I'm trying to get a really sweet guy to totally redo our website, from the bottom up. He quoted us a rock-bottom price- about $850 to redo the whole fucking thing- and my boss is livid. She said "I just want him to fix the front page! WHAT IS HIS DEAL?"

"He's saying that he can fix it, but that he's concerned about the prospect of billing us to fix the same page twice. He can do a bandaid- which we specifically said no to- or he can redo the CSS for the whole site bottom up."

"You can fix pages one at a time, don't tell me you can't."

"YOU CAN. HE'S SAYING THAT HE WOULD BE WASTING YOUR TIME AND MONEY BY DOING SO."

"Sure doesn't sound like he's worried about wasting my money when he wants to charge $35/hour for his work."

OH MY GOD $35 AN HOUR IS SO FUCKING CHEAP FOR SF IT'S CRIMINAL, OK?

I'm not even getting to the other stuff she screamed about this morning. But I've been using my little smartpen all day to write notes. She forgets that the smartpen records conversations, too, so I have a ton of recorded snippets of her reaming me out for awesome stuff like not making enough photocopies of an obscure form.

Bitching done. :)

Autumn
07-27-2010, 02:34 PM
So, full-time marketing is going OK. I've learned a LOT about InDesign over the last several weeks. I've learned that it is, indeed, different and more challenging than what I'm used to using, but it's also very exciting when I learn something new. Last night I got a little too excited when I figured out I could import some forms I had created as tables in Word using the Place command. I put together an entire proposal myself, from start to finish, last week and it looked pretty awesome, if I do say so myself!

I still have to work with In The Clouds Man, and we still work in separate buildings. This morning I called him about a proposal he's been working on for the last seven or so days, the one that has consumed our lives and it's all we've talked about every time we've spoken, multiple times per day. We rushed yesterday to get last minute changes made and then he was in charge of getting it to the printer, babysitting it, and checking the books when they got back. We hadn't spoken to him since yesterday, when the books were at the printer. This morning my boss asked me to retrieve the books to flip through them. So, I called.

Me: Morning!
ITCM: Good morning, Autumn.
Me: So, did the propsals come back from the printer?
ITCM: The books?
Me: *blinks* Yes, the proposal books.
ITCM: Oh, the books. For the client, of course...
Me: Yeah... those. You got the books?
ITCM: You got the books?
Me: Ummm... Do you have the proposal books for the client? Did they come back from the printer?
ITCM: Yeah, I got them.... *sounds unsure*
Me: So, they look OK?
ITCM: Yes, I wasn't sure what you were talking about, so...
Me: OK, bossman asked me to grab them this morning so we can flip through them before R delivers them, so may I have the courier come pick them up?
ITCM: Oookay, he's going to come here and pick them up.
Me: Oh? Because bossman told me that he wasn't sure what time R was leaving, so to go ahead and get the books from you so we can package them up, etc.
ITCM: Oookay, I'm not sure what is going on...

Contine endless, boring conversation of him fighting with me over the most basic, everyday shit.

Me: *pulls out hair*

Jonathan
07-27-2010, 04:32 PM
^ ;l ;l ;l endlessly. Sucks that you have to put up with that, though it's infuriatingly funny!

Also, my whining: I hate having a job that mostly depends on postal office deliveries, because when they decide that they're being bitches and deliver the shits (my work) late, I get to do almost nothing and waste my time all morning (like today).

Medusa
07-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Nice, Autumn! I have inDesign on my computer here and have a vague notion that it actually would be worth it to utilize it in some ways with my work, but I'm too timid.

I feel Jonathan's Post Office pain. They have nothing even resembling a normal delivery schedule. Sometimes the mail's here before I show up in the morning, sometimes it still isn't here when I leave for the day.

Autumn
07-27-2010, 05:44 PM
I was pretty terrified of using it because of what people had told me. It's been a learning experience, for sure. But it's fun to learn something new, and it's definitely useful. Plus, I can add it to my list o' skillz on my resume. :)

JayPeaches
07-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Last night I got a little too excited when I figured out I could import some forms I had created as tables in Word using the Place command.

I usually drag and drop to place things, so I rarely see the dialog box...but if you Place from within InDesign and the dialog box comes up, check the "Show Import Options" box (it's un-checked by default) and you will get a lot more control over your imported table. This is really useful if you already have style sheets set up in InDesign that you'd like to apply to the table. You may already know that, but I didn't know it until a few months ago!

http://home.comcast.net/~jessicasta/showimport.jpg

Jonathan
07-28-2010, 03:28 PM
I feel Jonathan's Post Office pain. They have nothing even resembling a normal delivery schedule. Sometimes the mail's here before I show up in the morning, sometimes it still isn't here when I leave for the day.

Oh hi! Today I called the post office, and they told me a few people were on vacation, so that's why their service was even more fucked up than usually (I'm paraphrasing). Can I be on vacation too?

:(

/bitch

JayPeaches
07-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Oh dear. My co-worker just told me that she accepted a new job that starts on MONDAY. And she can't tell my boss yet because she hasn't signed the contract. So she probably won't tell her until tomorrow. My boss is going to have a complete meltdown.

Autumn
07-28-2010, 04:06 PM
I usually drag and drop to place things, so I rarely see the dialog box...but if you Place from within InDesign and the dialog box comes up, check the "Show Import Options" box (it's un-checked by default) and you will get a lot more control over your imported table. This is really useful if you already have style sheets set up in InDesign that you'd like to apply to the table. You may already know that, but I didn't know it until a few months ago!

http://home.comcast.net/~jessicasta/showimport.jpg

I did know about the import options, but I don't really know what all to do with them. I did not, however, know about drag and drop! Thanks!

Today I learned about paragraph rules! I was way too excited.

The Seaward
07-31-2010, 12:24 AM
@ work.

high fever.

chills.

pain.

tummy hurtz.

want to go home.

the fascists in management won't let me because i'm "the only one who knows how to do the job."

KILL ME. KILL ME. KILL ME. KILL ME. KILL ME.

Medusa
07-31-2010, 01:08 AM
Throw up on one of them.

The Seaward
07-31-2010, 01:24 AM
the thought has crossed my mind..

Medusa
07-31-2010, 01:30 AM
Also, if you're the "only one" who knows how to do the job, are they going to fire you if you go in and say that you are so ill that you can no longer perform your job duties and must get bedrest ASAP?

The Seaward
07-31-2010, 01:41 AM
i don't know WHAT they expect me to do. i came in, because i don't like calling in sick and figured they'd just let me go, saying "o hai, you look terrible. you're burning up! go home and get some rest, plz. chicken soup!" but instead, they were like, "well, we don't have anyone else who can cover your department. and it's the busiest in the store. so..." after a moment of uncomfortable silence, i asked "is that a 'yes' i can go home?" my boss never answered. he just walked away.

a couple of hours later, i go to him again. "look, i really don't feel well at all. customers are commenting and even other employees are wondering why i'm here in this condition. i feel like shit. can i PLEASE go home?"

his suggestion: "don't cough on anything or anyone and utilize the hand sanitizer we've so handily placed at your desk."

whut.
the.
FUCK?

TheTimm
07-31-2010, 08:27 AM
i don't know WHAT they expect me to do. i came in, because i don't like calling in sick and figured they'd just let me go, saying "o hai, you look terrible. you're burning up! go home and get some rest, plz. chicken soup!" but instead, they were like, "well, we don't have anyone else who can cover your department. and it's the busiest in the store. so..." after a moment of uncomfortable silence, i asked "is that a 'yes' i can go home?" my boss never answered. he just walked away.

a couple of hours later, i go to him again. "look, i really don't feel well at all. customers are commenting and even other employees are wondering why i'm here in this condition. i feel like shit. can i PLEASE go home?"

his suggestion: "don't cough on anything or anyone and utilize the hand sanitizer we've so handily placed at your desk."

whut.
the.
FUCK?

I'll tell you what I tell my wife: when you're truly sick and shouldn't be working, don't go in. Period. Call and tell them you won't be coming in, but really, you're not doing anyone any favors by showing up and doing a not-so-great job and possibly getting others sick. And -- and this part is important -- if you get sick/sicker at work and need to leave, you don't ask to go home. You tell them you're going home, and then you leave. By asking, you pretty much tell them that you can keep working, you'd just rather not. Don't give them the option of keeping you there.

Feel better! Sorry you had such a crap day. :)

Mori
07-31-2010, 07:15 PM
^I always notify someone if I can't work anymore. Especially since I work with food, me being sick is a safety issue. I say "I feel like crap, I'm not getting any better, I need to leave now".I feel bad about it, but it would be worse if I got someone else sick, or a customer, and create more of a problem.

.chris
08-02-2010, 02:41 PM
coming back to work after taking several days off is always SO PAINFUL

Medusa
08-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Ugh, I know! That's the problem with taking time off.

I have an employee that is pissing me off SO MUCH. He fucked up a bunch of stuff before leaving for a vacation, made my life hell for a week, then came back and screwed up even more. He calls me while I'm en route to the office and basically has to have his hand held for about 4 different things. I say "This can wait until I get in" "No, it caaaaan't! I need to know NOW!"

SHUT. UP.

Banjee
08-02-2010, 05:59 PM
I was surplussed from my school today.My school took a budget crunch and they had to let go of 3 teachers. They had to make the choice based on seniority. However, the principal called to tell me that she was fighting the budget offices, and that she would have a better picture after Thursday. I'm pretty devastated because I had my dream job and I worked my ass off at it. So much for this profession. Ah well... where's the tequila?

Andyland
08-02-2010, 06:05 PM
I've been invited to apply for a better paying position within my non-profit, but I'm not sure the extra dollars will be as high as the extra stress...but at the same time it feels like a logical next step for my career. Not sure what to do...

Autumn
08-02-2010, 06:30 PM
I was surplussed from my school today.My school took a budget crunch and they had to let go of 3 teachers. They had to make the choice based on seniority. However, the principal called to tell me that she was fighting the budget offices, and that she would have a better picture after Thursday. I'm pretty devastated because I had my dream job and I worked my ass off at it. So much for this profession. Ah well... where's the tequila?

:(! I'm so sorry.

Medusa
08-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Loca: No WAY. You'll think this is hyperbole, but when I read that I really did go cold for a second. That is unbelievable. I hope that she can do something to save you- I understand seniority and don't blame them for going that route, but if the school loses you that's going to be a major thing. Mario <3

Churumbela
08-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Oh, Mario, that is terrible. I'm so sorry, sweetie.

SMMY
08-02-2010, 11:51 PM

Mario, I'm so sorry to read this. I hope your principal is able to come through for you.
At Scott's school they were going to cut the school's only counselor, who had worked there for over 16 years and is an integral part of why the school is as successful as it is (a continuation high school) due to budget cuts. It took some wrangling, but her position was kept. I so hope your principal is able to keep your position too.

Jonathan
08-09-2010, 12:55 PM
I don't have the busiest job. However, while my boss was on vacation, I managed to gather a few extra tasks, making my days about 2938 times more worthwhile.

Today was my boss' first day back. The first thing she tells me is "I really don't think it's a good idea, leaving you all those tasks", and runs off to some meeting. Guess she'd rather see me spending time on unforumzed, then.

*STABS*

SweetPea
08-09-2010, 11:25 PM
The doctor's office I work in (I do everything but billing and the actual treating of patients) has seen a down turn in office visits since the whole California economy started down the road to budget hell... mainly because 60% of our patient base are state workers and they've been hit HARD with pay cuts and furlough days (almost 15% total loss of income per employee). Anyway, since then the Doctor is work for has been completely unable to come to terms with the fact that he has to make changes in order to stay in business. He seems unwilling to accept that people can't afford to come to the Chiropractor as much as they used to! And it drives me crazy! I mean, I would LOVE to see the 50-60 patients a day that we used to a couple years ago BUT I realize that money is tight everywhere and that insurance companies are cutting "specialty coverage" right and left. He just doesn't seem to get this.
We aren't a huge office and I totally understand how scary it is to have your own business in times like these (my parents have had their own business for decades) but it doesn't do anyone any good to not try and fix things. *sigh* I feel really bad for the Doc... but it is going to drive me nuts if he doesn't come around soon!

ebby
08-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Here's a little story to make you all smile: This is how to quit your job with style (warning: Daily Mail link. NSFIM): (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1301798/JetBlue-flight-attendant-Steven-Slater-quits-job-style-luggage-row-passenger.html)

When fed-up flight attendant Steven Slater got into a foul-mouthed row with a passenger after landing at JFK airport he decided enough was enough.
The 38-year-old immediately announced his resignation over the public address system, grabbed a cold beer from the galley, activated the jet's emergency slide, slid down and headed for his car.

Frangipani
08-10-2010, 01:45 PM
now THAT'S an exit. I hope he didnt get in trouble for that slide. I wonder how expensive it is to get em squished back in.

ebby
08-10-2010, 01:50 PM
now THAT'S an exit. I hope he didnt get in trouble for that slide. I wonder how expensive it is to get em squished back in.

Oh he totally got arrested for it:

New York Port Authority officials arrested the by now ex-air steward at his beachfront Belle Harbor home a few hours later.

Police sources said he was in bed with his boyfriend when officers arrived at his home.

Slater happily confessed to police that he had deployed the escape chute and used it to make his dramatic exit, complete with baggage.

'Oh yes I did! I threw them down first and I went down after,' he told arresting officers.

He has been charged with criminal mischief, reckless endangerment and trespassing.

He was later released from Port Authority custody, displaying a painful-looking cut on his forehead which is said to have been caused by falling luggage from an overhead locker.

Frangipani
08-10-2010, 01:56 PM
daw. well i hope it was all worth it. Anyone who quits in this economy is nuts anyway.

Banjee
08-10-2010, 08:28 PM
House passes 26.1 Billion State-aid, prevents teacher layoffs. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/10/house-clears-261-billion_n_677345.html) Let's hope some of this good news comes my way.

SMMY
08-10-2010, 08:50 PM
House passes 26.1 Billion State-aid, prevents teacher layoffs. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/10/house-clears-261-billion_n_677345.html) Let's hope some of this good news comes my way.

I am so holding my breath until I hear that your teaching position is secure, Mario. and mucho [hug] and best of luck.

side rant: when did it become acceptable to shit-talk and blame the economy on public employees (for example-firemen, the police and teachers) just because they might belong to a union. I am so tired of misdirected anger, because of the lousy economy.

NUHN
08-11-2010, 04:10 AM
Hi. For those that don't know me - I will be spending a lot of time up in here.

I'm in a training enviornment currently in my job. In the Feminism thread I told a story about a woman who made some disparaging remarks about working with women and how "moody" and Raaaaaaaar (like a cat clawing) they are. Well, now I've met her male counterpart. This little short dude (literally he is maybe 5ft tall.) And I'm not exaggerating, he's remarkably short. Which is fine. But, he's got a major Napoleon complex. Aggressive as fuck, two-faced, always making snarky and mean spirited comments about other people in the training (in my ear) when they are addressing the class, etc. He also went on a diatribe to a group of us about how women aren't "ballers" like us guys, and how they are always whining and complaining, etc. What really upsets me is that I sort of go along with him, it makes me feel like I'm in high school again. I'm not good at dealing with people's personalitites at work. I just want the day to get over with, I don't need tension and confrontation thrown into the mix. Anyway, there was no point to this particular post, I just want to say that Napoleon complexes are weird, and I hate when you meet people in life who are such walking cliches. When I saw the dude I thought he would be a little aggressive fuck (he's got this smirk) and sure enough he is. Oh, and of course assigned seats and he was seated right next to me.

Banjee
08-13-2010, 10:08 AM
Pretty much wraps up the whole thread in a Lady Gaga Packaage ;l: Taking a break w/ a birthday cake, so you can't reach my telephone"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsU9tz3d3OY&feature=player_embedded

jeth
08-13-2010, 11:52 AM
all my bosses post-it notes won't make me type no faster!

;l

The Seaward
08-15-2010, 01:07 PM
13 hour shift today. kill me now. [angry]

Corey Haim
08-15-2010, 03:29 PM
my boy and i moved to atlanta yesterday and i was able to secure a transfer to another pharmacy (i have been working for kroger pharmacy since september of 2005).

the thing is, this pharmacy is located in a town that, according to wikipedia, has a population of 619. AND when i spoke to the pharmacy manager friday morning before the big move, she told me they fill around 400 prescriptions a day. SRSLY? i have already been playing around with various life stories to tell my new co-workers 'cause i'm expecting them to have that nosy, small-town mentality.

Corey Haim
08-15-2010, 03:29 PM
13 hour shift today. kill me now. [angry]

ha, i did those every friday for the past three years.

Banjee
08-17-2010, 11:04 PM
I got hired back today, I think, I hope. The principal called me and told me to come in, she said that she's 99% sure, and to start coming in tomorrow to prep my room. YAYAYYAY:)! She got me and a math teacher that started with me hired back. The two of us are so relieved. At this late date, the only schools hiring are the really bad ones-- I did that for 6 years, no thanks. ANyway, thanks to everyone for the support. [post28]

Churumbela
08-17-2010, 11:13 PM
I'm so pleased for you, Mario. I hope it's official soon. <3

toriMODE
08-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Congrats, Mario!

Frangipani
08-17-2010, 11:18 PM
i had my fingers and toes crossed for you, loca. <3

SMMY
08-17-2010, 11:25 PM
I got hired back today, I think, I hope. The principal called me and told me to come in, she said that she's 99% sure, and to start coming in tomorrow to prep my room. YAYAYYAY:)! She got me and a math teacher that started with me hired back. The two of us are so relieved. At this late date, the only schools hiring are the really bad ones-- I did that for 6 years, no thanks. ANyway, thanks to everyone for the support. [post28]

I'm so happy to hear this and am so glad that you'll be back where you belong, in your classroom. I bet your kids are too.

Whappo
08-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Yeah, really glad to hear this, Mario. [post28]

In other news, I'm putting together a mix to play during my last shift/leave for everyone to use when the shop's not open.

"YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTA! YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTA THAN TO FUCK WIT' ME!"

Also included is Kelis demanding respect, even if people don't like her. 'Cause she's a boss.

Simon
08-26-2010, 03:09 PM
I really need to find a new job !
It's not that i don't like my job but damn ! i am so underpaid and sometimes my boss just gets on my nerve on so many levels . He really thinks he's the center of the universe and it irratates me !

The Seaward
08-29-2010, 10:51 PM
I WAS FIRED TODAY AND COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!!!! ON TO BIGGER AND BETTER THINGS!!!

Robin Sparkles
08-30-2010, 02:32 AM
Congratulations!(?)

The Seaward
08-30-2010, 02:45 AM
no question mark needed, catie! i'm seriously quite relieved. after giving my all to the HOMO FUCKING DEPOT for almost 2 years, they've let me go because i was late one too many times in the past year. i'm talking august to august. late 6 times. i was late by 11 minutes last sunday, which was the first time i had been late since may. they afforded me the courtesy of waiting until the end of my shift to call me into the office and level the blow. i just nodded my head, smiled, and said "thank god. i hate this fucking job." i've pulled numerous 10+ days in a row, closed til 11pm and opened at 6am, called in sick once, and had some of the highest customer ratings in the entire district. i won employee of the month based on customer surveys and really gave it my best. i have a feeling that my obvious gayness played more of a part in this than the fact that i was late 6 times (being the only gay male in a store with 150 employees, i've over heard many things said about "the fag"), but whatever. i will be demanding an exit interview in the morning, and that will be that.

wout
08-30-2010, 07:39 AM
One of our biggest clients decided today that a 50.000 EUR project we did for them is going to be rejected.
They were unhappy with some things that have actually been approved of earlier in the project by various project managers. But now one of the higher-ups ain't happy with it and ain't paying.
I don't think that's 'legal' since we have the approvals in writing. But you know, play hard ball and you lose the client! And our company gets a lot of work from that client.
Still, big crisis at the office (and I'm home sick). My boss said that if they can't figure this out, can't get them to pay (and soon), we very likely might bust over this as the cash reserves have run out (o hai economic depression).
Let's see, that would be the 4th job I'd lose due to bankruptcy...
Blergh.

Whappo
08-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Not much of a bitch today - it's my last shift! Free samples for everyone!

The Seaward
08-30-2010, 03:17 PM
i should probably add that 4 of the 6 times i was late to work was due to the worst series of ice storms we've had in my area since i've lived here. even leaving an hour early for work wasn't enough, and the normal drive is less than 20 minutes.

not that any of this matters to the coward who left me the insulting red dot. how low can you be? to kick someone when they're already down... good job, sociopath!

on another note, best of luck with your situation, wout.

NUHN
08-30-2010, 03:26 PM
i have a feeling that my obvious gayness played more of a part in this than the fact that i was late 6 times (being the only gay male in a store with 150 employees, i've over heard many things said about "the fag"), but whatever. i will be demanding an exit interview in the morning, and that will be that.

That's terrible. Did you complain when you heard stuff like that? I hope you didn't just look the other way. You should always nip that shit in the bud (by filing an official complaint to managment) IMO. Some people will look at you as a nark I suppose but oh well. That's their problem.

Anyway, I hope you will find something else you'll like better.

JayPeaches
08-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Darwin, you need to go straight to the EEOC (there's a local office in your area, I'm sure) and file an official complaint for wrongful termination. Like, today. Even if they can prove they had a reason for firing you, the fact that they did NOTHING to reduce the hostility in the workplace is certainly worthy of filing a complaint.

The Seaward
08-30-2010, 04:33 PM
i'm looking up the nearest EEOC office in the area. thanks for the advice, jaypea. i'm on it!

JayPeaches
08-30-2010, 04:35 PM
i'm looking up the nearest EEOC office in the area. thanks for the advice, jaypea. i'm on it!

Here's the listing:
http://www.eeoc.gov/field/index.cfm

The Seaward
08-30-2010, 04:54 PM
just set an appointment @ 1:30. thank you for the information!

JayPeaches
08-30-2010, 05:05 PM
No problem! I hope they can do something for you. If nothing else they can tell you how to better handle that type of work environment in the future. That is completely inexcusable. I know that homosexuals are still not officially protected under the EEOC, but comments about your sexuality definitely fall under sexual harassment, and repeated comments of that nature constitute a hostile environment. I can see why you were glad to be fired.

Speaking of the EEOC, I've got a couple of acquaintances that a running a really successful local ad agency. Unfortunately, their success is based on sheer talent because they have NO CLUE how to run a business. They were telling me the other day, "Yeah, we're hiring a new person but we're telling everyone that if you're under 21, don't bother applying." *head desk*

secretsekertary
09-10-2010, 08:12 PM
<3

SisterDew
09-10-2010, 08:23 PM
my direct boss has been on maternity leave for the past six months (yes, that is how long our maternity leave is). although i never got asked officially, i ended up doing her job in that period, even though i am the youngest employee, and i arrived the last-but-one. needless to say, my colleagues with more seniority were not too happy about this. now my direct boss is back, and she is not too happy that i took care of her tasks in the mean time (mostly because our boss was more satisfied with my work than hers). now i am back to my normal duties, and my colleagues are quite happy to rub this in my face. so the conclusion is as follows:

- for six months i did two jobs instead of one, without any compensation whatsoever
- as a result my colleagues hate my guts
- as a result my direct boss hates my guts

my advice to you: do not ever cover for your boss during her maternity leave!!! you will get screwed big time.

Medusa
09-20-2010, 09:01 PM
OK, I have to vent because I'm so pissy.

We have a very precious employee who has been driving me bonkers.

An employee is trying to write on the side in addition to working for us. That's great, and I don't have a problem with that or with him carving out time to do it.

What IS pissing me off is that he's so difficult to work with in the hours that he does have available.

As in, he'll say "well, I'm available on X day only if I'm in Y location and have at least a total of Z hours. If it's not all of that, I won't do it."

The location thing is frustrating because we're in SF- some stuff is just going to be spread out. Last week he was nitpicking with me over a difference of about 10 minutes of drive time. Because one place was going to be another 10 minutes to get to, he just WON'T DO IT. So then I have to redo everything else on his schedule to make it work.

He also reneged on his agreement re: availability, so we went from thinking we had time during the day to schedule to finding out that no, it won't work to schedule during the day. So in lieu of that, he has to work on the weekend. That means the same blanket statement about xyz that I mentioned above.

So all of that is frustrating enough. But then there's this: Friday he calls and says "well, I'm reluctant to bring this up because you get so much hell from (boss), but I feel like I have to vent about what you're doing that's making my life miserable."

The gist of it is that there have been lots of schedule miscommunications for him that he's ended up spending time clarifying with clients, plus a bunch of billing stuff.

The billing stuff isn't even my domain, and I told him that. He still bitched. "Clients say they've never gotten a correct bill from us." Sorry, this is the first I've heard of it. I can have the bookkeeper fix that. It's not something to yell at ME about.

Then the scheduling: he's right, there have been a ton of miscommunications with his schedule lately. It's actually very unusual for things to be that problematic. Why is there so much miscommunication? BECAUSE OF THE SHIT HE'S PULLING WITH ME!! Because every fucking week it's "well I can only work on this day, didn't I say that?" and "I told you I'd be out of town this week but I guess I was wrong, oops!" I'm really fucking sorry it's not going smoothly for you, but that tends to happen when you keep changing stuff around and making it impossible for me to set appointments.

In addition to that, he's also making me super uncomfortable by asking lots of questions about proprietary stuff. Our rates for clients aren't exactly a secret, but we don't really give them out just randomly. But he's still wanting to know just how much we charge clients. I said I can't answer that, and he said "that's a lie, I know you know the rate." I said again that he needs to talk to (boss). Then he wants to know how much we charged for some courses. THAT information is readily available, so I told him. Then he's saying "but you paid me only X for it." Well, yeah. Because we pay not just you, but all other costs. We also have sliding scale clients. AND, my boss- as shitty as she is and as much as she pisses me off- my boss can earn a profit if she wants. Why is that so bad?

The best part is that he really doesn't even do a great job, so all of this stuff is just the icing on the cake. But it still ruins my day just when he calls.

Ok, sorry for venting.

sara
09-20-2010, 09:33 PM
^ I would have gone mental years ago if I had your job.

Also, I have a bitch about my job. I have a temp job revamping a file system for an office. The CEO wanted his personal system in place, and it hadn't been done in 3 years so they had to hire someone to do it. They gave me a list on my first day, and I got started. Three hours of scanning/renaming digital files later, he has a hissy fit that I started on that particular batch of files because "they weren't on the list". Even though they were, and my supervisor pointed it out to him. He said "well, I didn't mean for them to be there. So they don't need to be done." *headdesk*

Medusa
09-20-2010, 09:41 PM
I already am mental, so it helps.

Last week there was some mixup regarding the focus of a meeting he had with my boss. She wanted to talk clients, he wanted to pitch concepts for courses. Neither told the other person what they wanted to do and just assumed. It sucks and was no doubt frustrating, but you move on.

He was so upset about it that he was SHAKING the entire time and couldn't keep control of his voice. Cuckoo!

Autumn
09-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Can I bitch about a job I don't even have yet?

I'm trying to get on at the post office encoding center here in town to work a second job. First of all, the process you go through to get to the interview is ridiculous. Fill out this online form, then that online form. Then fill out this resume, don't just attach your resume, but after you fill it out, then attach your resume. Then click this link and create this password, then click this link and create another, different password. Then click here and there and fill this out and submit twice. Then check your email every day for two weeks. Then click the link, fill out the form, and submit. Then go take your Clerical Assessment test. Drive across town, wait, take test, go home, wait. Get another email, fill out form, submit. Go to typing test on the other side of town at inconvenient times. Wait. Get mor emails, fill out more forms, print them, sign some, submit some electroncally, get more emails, wait. Schedule drug test. Wait. Take drug test. Wait. Go to orientation. Wait. Schedule interview. Wait.

Training doesn't actually start until October the 12th. I have a feeling it's going to be like this until then, but maybe not. My interview is tomorrow, and I'll know then if I have the job or not. Then once I have the job, I get to work evenings and weekends, holidays are no exception.

I'm not sure why I'm doing this to myself!

Frangipani
09-20-2010, 10:03 PM
because post office jobs have great benefits, especially retirement, if what ive been told is correct.

:P

Autumn
09-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Well, it would be a second job for me. Part-time, six-month contract, evening hours, and no benefits other than the few hours of vacation I have the potential to earn. It's a temporary position (that's how the encoding center likes to do it). It's a lot of hoops to jump through for a second job that offers no real benefits, but I'm doing it. Mainly because it's good money for easy work. I just hope I enjoy working on Thanksgiving and Christmas...

Frangipani
09-20-2010, 10:20 PM
at least one of us knows why youre doing it. who knows, if you like it maybe youll get shuffled into full time or a better position. id love to have a federal job.

Churumbela
09-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Ditto. (But not at the post office, I'd want to work for the NCI only without having to live in Maryland.)

Simon
09-23-2010, 04:11 PM
I really can't stand my boss anymore , he really thinks he's the center of the universe . He acts like it and talk about it all the time ...
Just a quick exemple for you guys . He walk into the studio with a new haircut and i say 'great haircut'
and he answer ' thank you , the public really like it when i have shorter hair '

WTF ?!?! you're not a superstar , you're a photographer ! ( and it's just a little exemple , this is like that ALL THE TIME , and most of the time it's comments of superiority and it's just annoying )

Gretch
09-23-2010, 08:46 PM
' thank you , the public really like it when i have shorter hair '
Your boss sounds seriously deluded. Is he at all famous? It sounds like he's had a tiny bit of recognition and it's gone right to his head.

Ok! My turn! I don't usually bitch about work because for the most part, my job is ok. It's just, now, I'm really ill and I'm off work. My assistant manager and my manager have not once just called or e-mailed to check how I'm doing. It's pretty serious - those of you that know me on FB know that I am awaiting open heart surgery and have deteriorated quite quickly - but they are more concerned with when I am coming back to work. Out of all of the messages from the managers, not one of them has been just to see how I am doing or even to ask what is actually wrong. I can only assume they're picking up all the info from my colleagues who actually COULD be arsed to come and visit me when I was in hospital the other week. Also, the main manager asked me if she could see some medical information AFTER I had already sent them a .pdf copy of my discharge form from the hospital with the diagnosis, the severity of the problem and the description of the surgery that I have to have as a result. AND I have been providing them with doctors notes since this all happened. It's just a really shitty feeling to know that I'm only valued as a cog in the machine and not a person.

I'm really lucky that I have so many friends that care about me and the situation that I am in. It's genuinely the only thing that is getting me through this. It's bloody lonely and scary and the last thing I need is the managers at work constantly asking me when I'm going to be back at work. I want to ring them up and scream, "I HAVE FUCKING PARTIAL HEART FAILURE. I DON'T KNOW WHEN I'LL BE BACK!"

secretsekertary
09-23-2010, 09:06 PM
<3

Gretch
09-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks love. You're right, and I am so, so grateful for the support I do have and that is what I am trying to focus on. <3

Medusa
09-24-2010, 03:41 PM
I know one of the last things you probably want to think about is unemployment on top of all this other bullshit, but is there a reason why you DON'T just call them back and say "FUCK YOU, I'M HAVING OPEN HEART SURGERY SO GROW THE FUCK UP AND LEAVE ME ALONE"

Gretch
09-25-2010, 12:03 AM
You make a very good point!!

I actually thought about it more yesterday and I sent them an e-mail just outlining the severity of my condition and the uncertainty surrounding everything. I told the boss that I would absolutely make sure she knows everything as soon as I know (of course not really but I'm sure she'll like to hear it) and I am doing my utmost best to get as much information as possible. I think they'll appreciate that I'm saying that I'll keep them informed. I mean, I want them to care about me but the bottom line is that they don't really empathise so I have to get over it and carry on and deal with them in a professional manner. It just makes me all the more grateful for the care and support I'm getting from my friends. You guys fucking rock and no mistake. <3

Medusa
09-25-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm glad you outlined it all to them nicely and professionally AND I'm glad that you're not actually planning on giving them every last goddamn detail on what's happening to you.

It's so typical of shitty boss syndrome. The response isn't "how can I help" or at least "I'm sorry" but "well, when are you coming back?" I'm coming back when you behave like a decent human being, dumbshit.

SoulQuake
09-26-2010, 02:32 PM
I just want to say I fucking hate medical transcription, and If I had known going into this that I'd be working every single fucking day of the week, every week, and never get any fucking days off, I'd have run far, far in the other direction. I hate my fucking company for making a life outside of working completely fucking impossible. Fuck.

devnull
09-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Gretch -- <3 I'm so sorry you're having to deal with douchebags like that on top of the heart problems. You must be terrified. [hug]

Scottish Mike
09-27-2010, 12:03 AM
I'm not the most assertive person at the best of times, and I hate delegating anything. But tonight I'd asked a nursing assistant to help push a bed up to another ward so that a patient could have a bladder scan. All eyes dropped to the floor, so I ended up doing it myself. I am so sick of lazy arsed staff that cannot be bothered doing what they're paid for.

This is the third nursing assistant I've had trouble with, as the majority just will not do their job properly. And of course, their priority is getting off shift before they're supposed to. Once, a NA refused to sit with a patient who was at risk of falls because I'd "kept me there 20 minutes after my shift ended." Didn't matter that I was there an hour after my 5th night shift sorting out a sick patient. "But you make more money than me," was the retort before he walked off and refused to speak to me. Sorry mate, I'm not responsible for your poor life decisions.

Sometimes the 'caring profession' seems to be anything but.
(Can you tell that this is my seventh night and I'm in a foul mood?!)

Medusa
09-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Do you have enough authority to do something with the assistants who refuse to help? As in, ask them to leave or write them up or something? Ridiculous.

We hired an assistant for me this week. She's awesome and I'm so excited that I finally, FINALLY get some goddamn help around here.

I also had a fun morning: the people who handle my payroll came in to deliver a sheaf of documents for the new employee. Right on top is the SF Mandatory Sick Leave policy. I know this policy and have since it was enacted in 2007. It's 1 hour sick pay per 30 hours worked (with a cap, of course, but still).

I've worked here since May 2007. My boss has been wishywashy about the policy from day one, saying that she "didn't understand" it and "didn't think it applied" to us and that she'd have to consult her lawyer about it. "Consult the lawyer" is her go-to intimidation phrase, which is hilarious given that my father was a lawyer and my sister will BE a lawyer soon so if she wants to go to battle with me over something, she's picked the wrong person to fuck with because beks is currently specializing in employment law, too.

AAAANYway. I've given my boss printouts. I've explained it to her calmly. I've shown her govt websites. Every time it was still "I don't understand."

So today, as I'm facing the payroll guys, I say "I'm so glad you wrote this up. My boss has said she's never clear on the policy, and this form is extremely clear-cut so she can't hassle me about it anymore."

The reps looked kind of mortified. Apparently, she's called and asked them to explain this policy several times. They also required her to sign a document back when I was hired stating that she understood the policy and understood the penalty for noncompliance. In addition, the form they were showing me is the one they created in 2007 and include in every quarterly report they send.

So, once again, external proof: my boss is a motherfucking moron. I emailed beks to see what she thinks I should do with this. I already have such a case for hostile work environment... I save all her rude notes and nasty e-mails. ;)

Churumbela
09-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Your boss really is a moron.

I NEED AN EFFING RAISE.

That's really the only bitch I ever have about my job. Every week I remind my boss that she told me she would speak with the person in HR who can help get these things moving, and every week I get nothing. If I worked in an area with more competition (ie: wasn't the only person in a fifty mile radius who does my job), I could easily make five or six dollars per hour more than I do now. So now I've decided to make them give me a raise by starting my Masters.

Gretch
09-29-2010, 12:38 PM
I save all her rude notes and nasty e-mails. ;)

Good! You absolutely should! I had a boss who used to constantly make comments about my weight and the fact that I'm foreign and he even mentioned things in notes and e-mails and I really wished I had saved those. He was such a dickhead. I found out a few months ago that he got fired for mistreating another (female) employee.
Your boss sounds like a proper idiot. I think, if she can't work within the confines of employment law, she shouldn't have any staff. "I didn't know" or "I didn't understand" is not an excuse for non-compliance in this country. The onus is on the employer to understand all the legalities surrounding sick pay, maternity leave, holiday, redundancy, etc, etc.
Maybe the new assistant will help take off some of the general pressure though. I hope so!

JayPeaches
09-30-2010, 05:51 AM
"Consult the lawyer" is her go-to intimidation phrase, which is hilarious given that my father was a lawyer and my sister will BE a lawyer soon so if she wants to go to battle with me over something, she's picked the wrong person to fuck with because beks is currently specializing in employment law, too.

Oh, Christ, this is my boss's favorite thing, too. Only her husband is lead counsel for the hospital, so when she starts saying, "Well JACK says," we just have to shut up. Most of the time, she says such crazy un-true shit that I think she's just dropping his name without actually having talked to him about the issue being discussed.

Medusa
09-30-2010, 05:59 AM
Yeah, after all these threats about going to the lawyer I think she's only followed through once when we were fighting about my break times and she was attempting to strongarm me into going back to edit old timesheets to reflect breaks I didn't take and I refused. Pretty sure her lawyer raked her over the coals for that one.

I get TWO assistants: a general one to help with day to day for a while and a woman who is coming in to reorganize our whole office. Long time coming. My boss likes to blame the chaotic office stuff on me (she thinks I'm incredibly disorganized and will even go so far as to make statements about how unkempt my house "must be" because of the way I "run the office" AAHAHAHAHAHAH). The organizer came in today and just stood by my boss and made her throw out a ton of shit. It was so nice to see. My boss left for a meeting and the organizer came in and said "I cannot believe I had to argue with her just to throw away a file that's 10 years old and totally useless." "WELCOME TO MY LIFE!!"

Whappo
09-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Childfree crossover! Overheard in the staffroom: "now that she's had this baby, he's going to discover what he was put on this Earth to do."

DAMN.

Frangipani
09-30-2010, 09:19 AM
So, once again, external proof: my boss is a motherfucking moron. I emailed beks to see what she thinks I should do with this. I already have such a case for hostile work environment... I save all her rude notes and nasty e-mails. ;)

that there would be some sweet justice. god from what ive heard about her...

wout
09-30-2010, 10:39 AM
It's official! Unemployed from the 1st of december. Boss neglected to pay our pension-plan payments so that bit is rather screwed up. As compensation I only have to work 2 more weeks and have the rest of the time off.

Now what...

Gretch
10-02-2010, 09:37 PM
It's official! Unemployed from the 1st of december. Boss neglected to pay our pension-plan payments so that bit is rather screwed up. As compensation I only have to work 2 more weeks and have the rest of the time off.

Now what...
You come to the UK and we party?

Autumn
10-06-2010, 03:17 PM
So, if you were working on creating a document that had lots of graphics in it, and you asked your graphic designing co-worker via email "Can you please share XYZ picture with me? Thanks.", because he hoards and hides all the photographs and refuses to share them, and when he does, you'll get them in an unuseable and/or lower quality format, what would you expect to receive after waiting nearly 24 hours for a reply email?

A reduced quality PDF of the photo, that's what.

:mad:

JayPeaches
10-06-2010, 03:21 PM
WTF, that guy is an asshole. Go to his office and tell him you need a 300dpi TIFF at full dimensions and you'll sit right there and wait for him to burn you a CD.

Autumn
10-06-2010, 03:32 PM
He totally does this shit to me on purpose and I guess he thinks that I don't know what I'm doing so it's cool? I'm not a fucking moron.

A couple of weeks ago I asked him to share a Power Point presentation with me that he had created. First, he gave me all kinds of excuses as to why he couldn't give it to me. I said fine, I really just need the background and a general idea of how the previous Power Point was assembled, can you just give me that? He sends me a PDF. I ask him, again, to please send me the .ppt file. So he does, but all of the slides were created in Illustrator and then placed into Power Point so I couldn't adjust or modify ANYTHING. I couldn't even capture or modify the master slide background to use because he had an old logo embedded in it (he created the master slide in Illustrator, with the logo in the corner, and then put it in that way). I won't even go into how poorly the Power Point was put together (okay, I will). He had layered and layered and LAYERED the same background over and over and over again which served no purpose other than making the file a bazillion megabites. Oh, and he likes to use that excuse too - the file is too big, so I can't share it with you. THE HELL?! If you didn't have the giant master slide image pasted onto every single slide in the presentation, which you don't have to do because, HELLO YOU HAVE A MASTER SLIDE!, maybe it wouldn't be so large?

JayPeaches
10-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Christ almighty! Is his office near yours? Can you just wait until he's off work and then go get the files yourself? I know he'll hate that, but he's the one who won't deliver the goods, forcing you to get them yourself.

Autumn
10-06-2010, 03:48 PM
We're in buildings about four blocks away from each other right now on two totally different networks. He used to be in this building, and he would literally hide all of his stuff on his own drive, somewhere off the network where NO ONE could access it. Our IT department understands my frustration, as they have experienced it first hand, and have offered to break into his stuff for me. I have had them do it on one occassion, but only to grab a particular item. We will be in the same building again someday, but that's about a year away. And even then, he'll do the same shit he does now because people tell me he's been doing it for 10+ years.

I feel like I can't adequately express how I feel about this issue to anyone in charge without getting angry and loud, because that's how it makes me feel. Angry and loud.

JayPeaches
10-06-2010, 03:51 PM
It's amazing how some people are able to keep jobs despite being complete asshats. I'm surprised his boss puts up with this shit! There's plenty of hardworking graphic designers out there who would probably kill to have that job. :(

Andrea
10-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Work has screwed up my direct deposit, and now I've paid $68 in NSF fees. Ack, and it wouldn't have been that bad, but they didn't cut the check to fix it until after it was too late for me to deposit it to clear the same day. I'm pissed.

pb
10-07-2010, 05:45 PM
The time to majorly change the design would have been several weeks ago during wire-framing, or perhaps during the near daily mockups you've praised since. Huge, often contrading revisions every.single.day during the tail end of production - not cool.

It's part of my job to come up with these solutions, but it's also part of yours to regulate this crap and not waste everyone's time. [smirk]

Zach
10-07-2010, 06:02 PM

JayPeaches
10-07-2010, 06:30 PM
pb, did you elect overdraft protection (which results in fees)? Because there was new legislation passed recently that requires banks to get explicit consent from their customers before instating that kind of overdraft protection (which used to be standard). It came about because banks have gotten so psychotic in their fee structures lately. They're not making anywhere near as much money from lending as they used to, so they just try to rack up as many fees as they can. I declined that coverage when Wachovia sent me letters about it - I'd rather just get an "insufficient funds" message than pay $35 a pop.

Andrea
10-07-2010, 06:38 PM
I got two overdraft fees for two small charges. One of the charges was returned, so I was refunded the overdraft for that. But then they charge the NSF fee which is the same amount. The other overdraft stayed, so it was $34 for one overdraft fee, and $34 for NSF. The kicker was that the NSF fee is charged after the deposit comes through, and the returned charge happened when I could see through my online banking that the deposit was scheduled to happen at midnight that night. None of that crap makes any sense. If I can see that the deposit is going through, why can't they???

Medusa
10-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Did you try making a stink with Chase, too? It doesn't hurt.

Andrea, am I wrong or is what you're describing EXACTLY the situation that got Wells Fargo in deep shit? They did that to me with some overdrafts that I refused -and still refuse- to pay back. Wells Fargo calls every day to say that I owe them money. ;)

Andrea
10-07-2010, 06:49 PM
I'll have to google the Wells Fargo stuff. I'm guessing that since it's a small local bank that I've done business with since I was 16 years old, it'll get taken care of. But I can see how if you're one of the faceless thousands with a bank like Chase or Wells Fargo that that option wouldn't exist. It's all ridiculous anyway because they just change the rules to make as much money as possible. Like with my bank I know they withdraw amounts from greatest to least no matter what time they were posted. This makes sure that they get as much as possible in fees if you do get overdrawn.

Zach
10-07-2010, 06:54 PM

Autumn
10-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I had a similar problem with a local bank this year, Andrea. I really hope you are able to get yours resolved. Mine was only resolved because my boss happens to be friends with the bank President, and he made a phone call for me. I was charged overdraft fees when I had money in my account, and then charged more overdraft fees because the overdraft fees ate up all my money. I had made a deposit large enough to cover every single transaction I made, but because they posted the depost AFTER the transactions, and told me a "hold" in cyberspace that wasn't posted to my account actually withdrew me (which makes no sense because it hadn't posted!), it was all my fault. What's funny is that they told me they can see those invisible holds out there, and they know that money is going to come out the next day, but they can't see that deposit that's going to hit the next day. So they just go ahead and charge me an overdraft because I might overdraw myself tomorrow? I never understood it. Banks are the devil.

JayPeaches
10-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Banks are the devil.

They really are. The shitty part is that the whole reason they're all up the creek right now and are relying on fees to make money is because they got themselves in this mess in the first place. Bastards!

DancingGirl
10-08-2010, 11:37 PM
At my job, I provide CART services (live closed captioning) for hard of hearing/deaf college students during their classes. I have this college prep class this semester, which is a class they make all freshman take, and the kids in this class are so disrespectful and rude. I come home in a bad mood every Friday because of these kids (mind you, these are 17, 18-year-olds, but they act like children) and the professor does absolutely nothing about it. She's trying to talk to them about the chapter they're covering and these kids are making these smartass answers while other kids in the back are having their own conversations so loudly that I can barely hear the professor. I want so badly to reach over and smack them upside the head, or at least stand up and tell these asshats to shut the fuck up; but I can't. I've talked to the professor after class and she agrees how badly these kids behave, but she does nothing about it. She is such a freaking wimp, I can't stand it. I really want to slap her upside the head too.

Medusa
10-27-2010, 06:37 PM
I want to quit I want to quit I want to quit

Boss just tried to pick a fight with me while reading through the catchall e-mail on our server. She's "at home having coffee" when she "sees that I've once again ignored an important e-mail" and is "having a real problem with my communication skills."

Which e-mail did I not tell her about? Oh, just one sent at 10:44 last night. She doesn't know what a timestamp on an e-mail means, she just saw the date was yesterday and got all pissed off. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We've started a new inter-office task monitoring thing because we have some new admin employees, and my boss and I are sort of writing back and forth on it now. It's hilarious to me how poor her typing/spelling skills are. We have a client named "Juanni." I have a task pertaining to that client listed in one area, and she weighed in on it. Even though it says "Call Juanni re: this Sunday schedule" right there, her line below it is "Did u call Wonnie yet? this needs immedite attenton."

Don't worry, it's not like we're in the education biz or anything.

pancakefrompele
10-27-2010, 09:30 PM
^I'm convinced that executives hire idiotic middle-management for job security - at least that has been my experience. Sorry MumbletyPeg. I hope it gets better. Or you could win the lottery and bitch slap her. ;)

Churumbela
10-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Unfortunately, I think R's idiotic micro-manager is actually also the business owner, not just a middle management type.

Dave
10-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Almost 4 years in and I can no longer keep my sanity at my current job. The pay is ok (could be better) but my boss as well as getting REALLY tired of working 3rd shift has done me in. Anyway, I have finally completed my resume' and am ready to go job hunting. I'm trying to keep things as blameless as I can as for reasons that I'm quitting my current job, but usually employers like to know. Thing is... I'm not really sure what to say. If I can find a 1st shift job (which is what I need) the excuse will be easy, but if I can only find another 3rd shift job, well, that excuse won't really make sense, especially seeing as I'll be leaving my job as Supervisor.

So, what are some good, blameless excuses one could use as to why one is leaving a job? We all know it's never really a good thing to place blame on previous employers as it would set a bad example, etc.

At a later date I'll post my hate for my boss, but I don't really feel comfortable in doing so right now. Let's just say he has a god-complex a mile long and is faultless and full of the ability to place blame, even though everyone else knows the truth. I've never seen someone fuck so much shit up at a job and still find a way to blame someone else for their fuckups.

Mike_P
10-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Work is just terrible. It's gotten so bad that my jaw kills on a regular basis because I clench my jaw/teeth so much. My company does charity work for Children's Hospital and it is this HUGE project every year. It used to be a position on its own, but then it was filed under the marketing person's job. Well, the marketing person wasn't doing it fast enough or the right way apparently, and the president took it away from her and won't even speak to her anymore. And now I have to do it on top of my own job and the other work from other departments that I've acquired these past few months. I am swamped! I haven't gotten a raise in three years either (no one at work has because it's been a rough few years for the company).

The problem is that this CH work is like the president's baby. It has to be done perfectly or else she screams at you and berates you in front of the entire office. She frequently tells employees how stupid or worthless they are. I posted about her earlier in this thread. She's so unstable. I get so incredibly nervous going to her with questions because she expects me to just "know" what I have to do, but I was basically given this work in the middle of everything and I have no idea what I'm doing. Sometimes I get so nervous that I just put things off because she scares me so much, haha. That's my fault, but it's really just that bad. Part of the anxiety is because I never know how she'll react. Sometimes she is so sweet, but then other times she just explodes for no reason. It's becoming less "Devil Wears Prada" and more "Girl Interrupted."

I just got around to trying to schedule a kick-off party for this CH stuff even though it should have been started at the latest a week ago. I'm kind of freaking out about it because I don't know if the date that we want for the country club is available (since it's only a month away) and I really think she'll chop my head off if it isn't. If it is, it'll be a mad rush to get invitations out and all that but it's do-able. So, I'll find out tomorrow if my head will get chopped off.

I've been trying to find a new job since May, but I've had no luck. I've had a few interviews, but I obviously didn't get the job. None of the jobs that I really, really want even call me for an interview so it's been pretty discouraging.

Sorry for this long, wimpy, and whiny rant. It's just been so frustrating for me for a while and I needed to vent, haha. I can't accurately convey how terrible it is and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm just making excuses.

Churumbela
10-28-2010, 10:46 PM
I updated my resume the other day. Not because I'm planning to quit, because I actually really like my job, but the politics of working with an academic medical center can get really exhausting sometimes, and I'm in one of my "I freaking hate them" modes right now. To top it off, our facility has been under JCAHO visitation since Monday, so everyone's all stressed and running around like madpersons, and my professional organization released the results of this year's salary survey yesterday and I found out the median income for people in my field is THIRTY THOUSAND MORE A YEAR THAN I MAKE.

*headdesk*

devnull
10-29-2010, 05:48 AM
So, what are some good, blameless excuses one could use as to why one is leaving a job? We all know it's never really a good thing to place blame on previous employers as it would set a bad example, etc.

"No room for growth"
"Hours didn't work out/wanted to spend more time with my family"
"Would rather work for a smaller/larger company"
"Commute was too long"

etc

Basically just find some quality about the jobs you're looking for that this job does NOT share and highlight that. Everyone knows that people are moving on because they can't stand their work anymore. They only ask the question to see if you reveal yourself to be some kind of mental patient.

Dave
10-29-2010, 11:46 AM
;l Right. My excuse will pretty much have to be based on my job location/time, etc. I'm hoping for the best. We'll see what happens. Planning on heading out today. I'm certainly hoping for something more local as an hour drive each way fucking sucks. Too bad there isn't much in this little town.

Dave
10-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Well, I've applied for a few positions at Eaton (http://eaton.com/EatonCom/index.htm). This is the first time I've used a company website to upload a resume, etc. I kinda like it :)

I was told today that I have the most clear, concise, well-written resume that has been seen in a while. Hoping that coupled with over a decade in my field will help me get in the door of a more reputable place.

JayPeaches
11-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Because my boss is a menopausal narcissist who is in a constant state of *I'm-having-a-hot-flash* and thinks the world revolves around her, she insists and setting the AC to 70F despite the fact that it is 50F outside.

I'm sitting in my office, wearing a long-sleeve shirt, thick scarf, and winter coat and I'm STILL COLD.

Medusa
11-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Ugh. I get that a lot here (we don't have an AC, but we won't be able to turn on the heat) so I'm just used to wearing warmer stuff and scarves. If my boss ever dares to question why I look so dowdy at work, it's because the nicer clothes I own will make me too cold and miserable to work.

secretsekertary
11-03-2010, 04:00 PM
I've been having some personality conflicts with my immediate supervisor. I'd say it's been going on for the past 9 months to a year. We had a meeting at the end of September to make sure we're on the same page about duties and expectations, and during that meeting it was made pretty clear that the work I do is valued, and that if I should ever decide to move on to a different position elsewhere, I should give plenty of warning because it would be extremely difficult to find and train my replacement. That felt pretty great to hear, since all leading up to that, I'd felt like I was under the microscope and that my every action was scrutinized as potential grounds for dismissal.

So! Yeah! Meeting with my supervisor, we set clearly defined goals and expectations, and I was feeling pretty good about it all. But not two days later, it was back to the weird oppressive personality dynamic!!

I feel like it's one of these situations where I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't, no matter what the situation. If I execute a particular task one way, my supervisor berates me for not having done it another way. If I ask her a question to clarify how she'd like me to approach something, she acts exasperated and annoyed that I would bother her with questions. But if I don't ask the questions and just set about doing something, she is irritated that I didn't get her approval before hand.

Now, for the past, oh, month, I've come into the office in the mornings and started to complete some of my morning routine, only to find she has already done these things. Tasks that are specifically assigned to ME, as in, this is my job description and these are the tasks that I am here to accomplish. Why is she doing that? I don't understand? I just now sat down to work on one of my usual data entry tasks and I open up the document to find that she has already done it. WTF?

Add to this that she refuses to look me in the eye. If I greet her with a "good morning," I get nothing, not even an acknowledgment that I am a living breathing human in the same room. I smile at her when she enters the workroom, and there is no reaction on her face, and she looks away immediately. It is a really strange situation, and I find it to be totally unfair. If she has a problem with me as a person, well that shouldn't have any bearing on how she treats me as a coworker. If she has a problem with how I'm doing my job, she should TELL me, so that I can correct whatever the issue is. But per our meeting, I'm doing a fine job and the thought of my NOT being here is difficult for her and she dreads having to find my replacement.

This is a person with whom I have worked for the past four years, and for the first three years the relationship was amazing. Fun, collegial, respectful, etc. Now it is nasty daggers, and I am at a loss to define what happened to make it change.

My job is pretty great. The company is amazing; my colleagues are all incredibly talented and creative, and I admire them all immensely. I even admire my supervisor. I do not admire the way she has acted towards me lately, and I really don't know what to do to remedy the situation.

option 1: ask her to set aside a time to talk about job expectations. Lay it all out in the open and ask what's up. Is it personality or professional or both, and what will it take to make peace here? I am scared of option 1 because I am terrible with conflict of any sort.

option 2: talk to the general manager about it and ask for mediation. Option 2 could backfire because when someone's acting like an asshole to you, and you go to their boss about it, that generally just makes them want to act like an even bigger asshole to you.

option 3: keep on keeping on, forget any desires I have for friendly interaction, and just do my job and be the consummate professional. Interact with her only as my job duties require, and don't let it get to me when she criticizes me.

Churumbela
11-03-2010, 09:20 PM
My advice is to talk to your boss, and to do it as soon as possible. The fact that she's doing your tasks seems very worrisome to me.

toriMODE
11-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Your situation is so close to mine. I've just come to terms that it'll never be any better. Some people just don't get along personality-wise. I'd choose option 3.

Elly
11-05-2010, 02:22 PM
she has already done these things. Tasks that are specifically assigned to ME, as in, this is my job description and these are the tasks that I am here to accomplish. Why is she doing that? She has realized that she is expendable but you are not?

Callum
11-05-2010, 09:58 PM
I appear to be the designated "helper of unusual customers" at my place of work. I hope this is testament to my customer service skills and patience rather than my co-workers trying to wind me up by sending them all my way.*

For instance, today I had to give a detailed rundown of the transformation scenes in American Werewolf in London to a visibly aroused wolf fetishist. Apparently the same customer gave a similar performance a few months ago with The Company of Wolves. I will never be able to watch either of these (great) films again without them being tarnished by the memory.

*I actually get on really well with my colleagues, but they occasionally seem to be under the illusion that I am some kind of social worker.

Lo
11-06-2010, 01:15 AM
I had to deal with a man who had a diaper fetish once, when I was working by myself and only a teenager. I worked at a small tourist shop and he was on the search for pants (we only sold two pairs and they were pajamas) to FIT OVER MY DIAPER. YES, I WEAR A DIAPER. DID I ALREADY MENTION THAT I WEAR A DIAPER? ARE YOU SURE THESE PANTS WILL FIT OVER MY DIAPER? He was a young guy and I had no idea what to tell him, and then later on my coworker said he had been in before and did the same thing to her. Obviously got off on talking to young girls about his DIAPER.

The Seaward
11-06-2010, 01:23 AM
that's pretty creepy.

when my best friend was in hair school, she had this client who came in (he hit up all the hair schools in the area) and would jerk off underneath the cape. she didn't know what to do, and he was pretty stealthy about it. afterward, she told her instructor and he was banned.

gyabou
11-12-2010, 11:01 PM
So it looks like I'm going to have to quit the job I got in October so I can move up to Boston in January for library school. I was going to commute for the spring semester, but my housing situation has suddenly become unstable, and it seems like I will be offered a dorm there.

Any advice for how to go about it? I've never actually had to quit a job before, except for the grocery store job I had in high school, really. All the rest were work study/assistantship jobs that ended when I graduated. I'm planning on speaking with them at the end of November, but maybe I should wait until closer to the day? I'd like if possible to work until mid-January. I also planned to tell them the truth, and to also say that I do like working there and that I know they invested time and money into training me for the position.

My friends have told me people quit jobs like this all the time, but I still feel really awkward. I'm also not sure if I should speak first with my immediate supervisor (the head of circulation) or with the director. (Both of them were present at my interview, and I see my supervisor more often than the director, so maybe I should speak to her first, out of courtesy at least?)

JayPeaches
11-13-2010, 02:27 AM
Definitely speak with your immediate supervisor and let him/her communicate it to the next level of management. I would not give them more than 2-4 weeks notice . It's not that I think they would treat you poorly, but if they find a replacement by December, you might be unemployed earlier than expected. I think 4 weeks gives them plenty of time to find a replacement and possibly have you on staff to train the new person if necessary.

Churumbela
11-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Completely agree with JayPea. Unless it's in something you signed, you really are only commonly expected to give 2 week notice, so 4 weeks would be seen as quite considerate. I think so long as you explain the circumstances of why you're leaving, they'll be very understanding about it. I don't know how it is other places, but where I work, you have to do an exit interview if you leave the company, so that's a perfect time to explain that you're moving.

colette
11-14-2010, 07:54 PM
thought this might be well placed here - I heart this blog lots....

http://properdiscord.com/2010/11/10/360-degree-feedback/

tivoklr
11-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Honestly, they're either going to be fine with it or pissed that they spent their time training you, etc. and leaving. I was in the latter group, and even with giving 6 weeks notice I got an ass chewing by my director. Last time anybody gets more than 2 weeks notice from me EVER.

Best piece of advice, don't take any of it personally. It's all business. You do the right thing (give appropriate notice) and they can pound sand.

Medusa
11-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Called in sick today because I have no voice, have slept like shit, still feel bad about stuff from last week.

My boss has already called twice with stupid shit she would either have found out from reading her emails OR with stuff that could have waited.

"Can you send out a bunch of e-mails?"
"I'm trying to go to sleep."
"Oh, you answered so..."
"You called 10 minutes ago, so I hadn't fallen back asleep yet."

durrr

Frangipani
11-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Wow she really feels entitled to your time. I wouldnt know how to deal with someone like that, i hope you are finding some tools to set some boundaries. that is like abusive partner shit imo

devnull
11-20-2010, 06:46 AM
^^^I have the same exact kind of boss and it's really messed with my head. I can't go into details because I'm paranoid he'll end up finding me here someday and I"LL NEVER WORK IN THIS TOWN AGAIN or something. But anyway, I haven't had a life at all since taking the job last June and no matter how many lines I draw he finds a way around them. Most of my friends can't remember who I am and my family has even stopped calling. I have made the abused wife comparison more than once. Fucked up.

When I took this job I also completely dropped the script I was 90% done with and 100% in love with. Until this Thursday. When I called in sick. I haven't answered the phone or email since. I've been writing 48 hours, breaking only for sleep, and my wee baby script is DONE. In fact it's still covered in proud mother-y afterbirth. PRETTTTTTY. I LOVE IT SO. I will probably hate it in the morning and start tearing it apart again, but hot damn I'm happy right now.

I feel like fucking quitting my job but that would be rash.

I will go to work again on Monday but please let me never lose boundaries like this again.

Medusa
11-20-2010, 07:10 AM
God, I admire that. I have written almost NOTHING. I get seeds of good ideas but all I ever want to do when I come home is either sleep or just spend idle time on the internet so I can decompress.

devnull
11-20-2010, 07:22 AM
I know exactly how you feel. :(

While I'm feeling pretty giddy about my little two-day marathon, I know that's no way to live a life. Ideally, every day we'd find time and energy to work on what we really want.

Dave
11-20-2010, 08:10 PM
I haven't read this entire thread, but I'm curious how many of you have been (or felt like you have been) sabotaged by a co-worker or boss.

devnull
11-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Oh for sure.

Possibly related to your question: There's some study that found that a disproportionate number of upper management types are narcissists. As in the sociopath who sabotages others to make him/herself feel better. Not all bosses of course, but narcissists in general tend to gravitate to positions of power (unsurprisingly). So there's a much higher concentration of them in management than there is in lower level positions.

Boundaries are a huge problem for narcissists. They simply can't tolerate anyone they feel is inferior to them (which is almost everyone, but especially employees) prioritizing anything over their own needs. From the narcissist's POV, your personal life or even professional ambitions don't exist. Basically they see any behavior that doesn't include worshiping or attending to their own bullshit as a character flaw deserving of correction, punishment or revenge.

If you pull back the veil and reveal yourself as an independent person with boundaries, they'll take it as a personal attack and retaliate. I've seen the sabotage (firsthand) escalate into a personal vendetta.

Lágnætti
11-20-2010, 08:33 PM
We had the union peeps in my place last week and they have diagnosed that management (gang of three female and highy toxic twits) is operating a bullying culture. Whee!

devnull
11-20-2010, 08:37 PM
Ugh, I'm sorry, Helen. At least there's a spotlight on it, so maybe it will change. (I bet it's the same phenomenon.)

Lágnætti
11-20-2010, 08:42 PM
It comes right from the top, I am assured. Like appoints like appoints like ...

There are those of us who stand up to the bitches and mostly we get left alone. They treat others like utter fried shit, while also treating yet others like fried gold even though they are lazy, incompetent twats too (does this sound familiar to anyone?). They're also good at lying and making totally illegal verbal threats. They're gagging for a lovely industrial tribunal which they will lose, big-style should they ever be stupid enough to follow up on those threats. Meanwhile, they've created the most miserable workplace I've ever been in with a paranoid, hostile atmosphere.

The laugh is, they still can't figure out why nobody will go to their Xmas party. Can't treat people like turds and then expect them to want to PAY to party with you. I've made it clear I wouldn't party with them for free.

devnull
11-20-2010, 08:44 PM
They make you pay to come to the christmas party?!?!? saldfjksaldfjk THAT IS RIDICULOUS. I mean, everything you're telling us is very bad behavior but making people pay to come to a work party borders on the absurd.

Lágnætti
11-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Oh yes! They wanted Ł25 for it! NOBODY signed up out of what, 100-ish peeps? HILARIOUS. Then they changed venue and dropped the price a lot. Still very few takers.

I just cackle and ask what the hell is wrong when a multi-million pound company can't even spring for a bloody buffet for the troops. Makes them look awfully cheap, doesn't it?

Soda
11-21-2010, 01:48 AM
Does bitching about school count? Cause I fucking hate it. :)

Jamiieee
11-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Does bitching about school count? Cause I fucking hate it. :)

Just wait until you're a new grad in this economy! I was unbelievably sick of school but now I wish I could go back and ride out this job market.

marci
11-22-2010, 06:21 PM
My coworker has been munching on baby carrots all day and talking to her boyfriend every hour in a baby voice. Ugh! [voodoo]

howieD
11-24-2010, 10:51 PM
http://pleasefireme.com/

[angry]

'Please fire me. I work in a basement in which sewer gas is constantly emanating from the floor drains. Every time it rains, green slime bubbles out of the break area sink, and the smell gets exponentially worse....'
:eek:

DarkLuna
12-01-2010, 04:19 AM
When I got home from work today, I stood at my mailbox and wept openly in the rain.

It's not the first time. Although, usually, I start crying on the drive home.

Tomorrow's forecast: 14 hours at two jobs that overwork and severely underpay me. No lunch break.

Fun fun fun 'til Daddy took the T-bird away.

marci
12-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Oh no! Hang in here M. [hug]

Medusa
12-06-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm feeling fragile this morning anyway just because of a bunch of personal things, so I was sad on the bus, but oh god:

I have said A MILLION TIMES that I HATE RELYING ON GOOGLE CALENDAR because it's not perfect- of course, lots of other programs would fuck up, too, but I don't trust it. But google calendar is essentially THE program we use to send out employees. That's how they know what their schedule is, that's what they look at on a daily basis, etc.

Over the weekend some kind of glitch took place where people who view the calendar in month format through the link (which is how you're supposed to use it) have no "blank" days. If there's a blank day, it scoots all days following onto that day. (Example: Employee has Fridays off, but stuff on Sat/Sun- the Sat/Sun stuff just shifted to become Fri/Sat).

A good number of our employees aren't fucking morons so they figured it out right away (and didn't call, but oh well). A handful just assumed I'd made significant changes and followed it.

So now I have a ton of really, really pissed off clients and employees and my boss is wondering why I insist upon using google. "You'll just have to pdf everyone their calendar on a daily basis, I guess."

I want to go cry now.

Churumbela
12-06-2010, 10:21 PM
"You'll just have to pdf everyone their calendar on a daily basis, I guess."

Oh, yeah, that's a totally reasonable thing to ask someone to do. :rolleyes:
Let me guess -- it was her idea to use Google Calendar?

Medusa
12-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Yep, her idea to use it. The previous system was a bit different but expensive because it meant paying for software. Google calendar is free so that's great!

I like it when she told me to call them and complain about this. "It's a free service. They don't really care. They don't have tech support like that."
"CALL THEM"
"What, google headquarters? I e-mailed tech support, that's enough."

I figured out a way to do an end run around the issue, so it's "fixed" more or less. I just....augh. AUGH! AUGH!!!

JayPeaches
12-08-2010, 07:53 PM
1. Designed posters in CMYK (what's always used for printing)
2. Output a PDF (in CMYK) and sent to in-house print shop
3. Posters looked really weird - colors were off and saturated
4. In-house print shop asked for original file, which I emailed
5. Posters turned out fine
6. Print shop manager told my boss (while I was at lunch) that I sent over RGB files and that's why everything was wrong.
7. I double-checked my files and my PDF Output settings - sure enough, CMYK
8. Asked print shop manager for clarification, he said, "When he opened the files they were all RGB!"
9. I said, "Really? They magically became RGB? Show me!"
10. "Uhh, designer's not here right now."
11. Wait one hour. Proceed to print shop. Ask designer to show me the files, which turn out to be CMYK.
12. I asked if anything I sent was RGB, designer said no.
13. Print shop manager, "Well, I got bad information!"

Fucking asshat. It was such a minor re-print (two stinking posters) that I cannot for the life of me figure out why he tried to blame me.

Medusa
12-08-2010, 08:48 PM
All that effort when the answer just needed to be "oops, looks like there was a mixup! Sorry!"

Why do people make things worse for themselves?

JayPeaches
12-08-2010, 08:54 PM
I don't know! It makes me so crazy because we weren't even upset over the bad print-out or anything. We were just like, "Hmm, that's weird!" It was just two posters, which are super-cheap for our print shop to output. It was a silly thing to even point fingers over. I just really hated the sneaky way he went about it, which was to wait until I was at lunch, then go to my boss and spout a bunch of RGB/CMYK mumbo jumbo that she doesn't even understand and therefore can't argue with. He could've never pulled that shit off if I was within earshot and he knows it. And of course her first order of business when I got back from lunch was to say, "Well, Printshop Manager said your files were bad." I mean, really? I'm quick to back down if I made the mistake, so maybe he was hoping I would do that. But he also knows that I never, ever back down if I know it wasn't my fault.

Stephanie
12-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Asshat! Yea that would piss me off too. I can relate to print managers blaming designers, it's (falsely) happened to me too. Fuckers.

SoulQuake
12-11-2010, 02:50 PM
I fucking hate my job. I'm to enraged to even explain why I hate my job (the reasons are too numerous to list anyway), but I have never in my life wanted so badly to just pick up the phone and say, "You know what? Fuck you and this job. Have a nice fucking life!"

So why am I still putting up with this shit?

secretsekertary
12-12-2010, 09:19 PM
So why am I still putting up with this shit?

Rent / bills / shitty economy?

Medusa
12-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Shitty job market, too.

I'm counting down until I get reamed out by my boss because of someone I brought in for an interview; my boss discriminates based upon age (she essentially won't hire anyone her age; she doesn't like hiring anyone past 30, really) and this poor soul dared to not put dates on her resume so I had no way of knowing her age (and I don't ask how old someone is because that's really not smart). Gonna be in so much trouble.

She actually told another applicant earlier this week that she didn't think our students would be a "good fit" with her demographic. What does that mean? Oh, only that the applicant was african american. So, you know, she must just work with folks in the ghetto.

SoulQuake
01-07-2011, 02:54 PM
So I'm going to start looking for another job today. I just used up an entire box of Kleenex crying over the stress this stupid job puts me through. I work my ass off, but it's not enough, so soon I'm going to lose my benefits. And with that, there is pretty much no reason for me to put up with their bullshit anymore. So I will take whatever job I can get. It has to be better than this.

I am, however, scared shitless. I don't like change.

ami t
01-07-2011, 03:01 PM
So I'm going to start looking for another job today. I just used up an entire box of Kleenex crying over the stress this stupid job puts me through. I work my ass off, but it's not enough, so soon I'm going to lose my benefits. And with that, there is pretty much no reason for me to put up with their bullshit anymore. So I will take whatever job I can get. It has to be better than this.

I am, however, scared shitless. I don't like change.

I sympathise, I really do. I'm also looking (although I think not as urgently as you) for something else. Problems with other members of staff. I'm not going into it - I've already wasted too much time over this already - but some people are just cocks. End of story.

I too am scared. I've been in this job for nine years come this May. It's very sucky, very sucky indeed.

SoulQuake
01-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Nine years is a long time! I've been at this one for almost 4, but it seems like forever since I went through applying and interviewing, and I'm getting anxious just thinking about it. I just have to suck it up, though. Nobody likes it, and getting it over with will hopefully get me into a place that doesn't make me want to kill myself.

Good luck on your search! And I hope it doesn't became as urgent for you as mine did this morning (although I think I needed the kick in the butt. I've been saying I want to quit forever but haven't)!

ami t
01-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Exactly, I've been getting cabin fever here for quite a while now, but it's safe and easy so I stay!

My friend was gobsmacked when I told her how long I've been here. I keep joking I'm in it for a 10 year bonus - which really isn't worth staying for!

Banjee
01-07-2011, 10:01 PM
At the beginning of the year I send a syllabus home with my students. They review it with their parent, sign it and return it for my files. On Monday we begin The Color Purple. I started reminding the students to get their copy because I knew it would take a while, especially for students that check it out from the public library. Today, one of my students approached me and told me that his parents won't allow him to read the novel because it contains gay characters/situations (never mind the rape, incest and abuse in the novel). He decides to tell me now? If they seriously had a problem, why didn't they say anything in August, September, October, November, and December??? I'm shocked that people are this dumb. Shocked.

JayPeaches
01-08-2011, 12:36 PM
mario, that sucks. I think dealing with parents must be one of the harderst parts of teaching, especially when you're trying to be a positive role model and parents due things that are counterintuitive to your efforts. :( do parents have to go through a formal process at yr school in order to remove their child from participation in something like this?