Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Raise It Up: The Florence + the Machine Thread

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    ^ !!! I am so there.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Anyone catch Florence's performance (I didn't see the Machine or her backing band) of "Dog Days Are Over" last night on the VMAs? Easily the best performance all night, and it's really seemed to have made people pay attention - Currently Lungs is the #2 album on iTunes; DDAO the #7 song. The video for "Dog Days Are Over" also picked up an award for Best Art Direction.

I'd say she's well on her way to stardom here.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 09-13-2010 at 07:11 PM.

^ i saw it and thought she sounded amazing. love that she's finally getting some major recognition in the US..just in time for this big fall tour here.

I love the song, but I thought she sounded pretty terrible, actually ... shout-y and flat.

I didn't think the performance was her best ever, but it was good and I enjoyed the spectacle of it. I'm glad Florence is benefiting from the performance too, she definitely deserves wider recognition in the US and hopefully it'll push Dog Days and future singles to radio success as well.

^ I will agree that it was visually VERY cool.

fulfiller of the mullet prophecy eednic's Avatar
    I saw you guys mention this...have you seen the video for "Heavy In Your Arms"?

I know she's hoping to put out another album next year, but I'm wondering if all this new attention will justify another tour early in 2011. I'd love to get the chance to see them live someday, but the US tours haven't been extensive at all. It's just surprising to me that Dog Days Are Over is the song that's breaking her in the US. I'm trying to imagine how people's minds will be blown when they hear things like Rabbit Heart, Drumming Song, Howl, Blinding, Hurricane Drunk, etc. i.e. almost anything else from the album.

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eednic View Post
    I saw you guys mention this...have you seen the video for "Heavy In Your Arms"?

Well, that was....meh.

How Florence loses to 30 Seconds to Mars, I have no idea. Granted, I admittedly haven't seen either video, but yeah. Ew.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

I think that was one of the categories where voting was open to the public on mtv.com - 30STM have a fucking RABID fanbase, so it wasn't surprising at all.

celestial fire from a zippo lighter jovana's Avatar
    It may not have been her best performance ever, but she schooled almost every single other artist there. LOVED it. And of course, the red hair all spread out around her reminded me of Under the Pink album art.

I can't wait til people catch on to Drumming Song, I can see that getting remixed for the clubs. I just quoted it in my facebook status once and a ton of people who I'm sure never heard of her liked it.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    I thought that too about under the pink art!

I hadnt heard of her until Dog Days are Over showed up on every movie preview and commercial in the last 2 months.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

Some details about a new song in Florence's interview with NY Post PopWatch:
    PW: Given your need for a studio, have you written any new material for the next album?

Florence: Yes, I’ve written two new songs – one is called "Strangeness & Charm," which we've been playing live a lot. Hopefully we’ll be playing one more new one. One song is about being scared of going mad – hearing voices in your head while you’re trying to fall asleep. I get auditory hallucinations when I’m falling asleep. Auditory dreams – something loud, like a word, will be said really loud in my head and wake me up. There was a song about that and it’s really aggressive. Loads of clattery drums and the choir takes it to the next level. I played it for my boyfriend and he said, “still not gagging for that number one, are you?” [laughs] “Still not rushing towards commercially viable music with epic one-minute drum breaks and crazy, backwards whispering, huh?"
    There'll also be a performance of the Sirius/XM channel The Spectrum today at 4. Here's a video of Dog Days Are Over (acoustic) from that set:

2011 tour dates

JUNE 26 - EAST LANSING, MI - SPARTAN STADIUM (OPENING FOR U2)
    JUNE 29 - MIAMI, FL - SUN LIFE STADIUM (OPENING FOR U2)

Florence in my little Michigan town??!?!? Am I dreaming this??