Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152

Thread: The All-Inclusive Courtney Love/Hole Thread

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Curious - have any of you listened to Courtney's albums after Hole's Celebrity Skin? I never have. Not even once, which I just realized is kind of crazy given the fact that I absolutely Hole and consider LTT to be a serious contender for all time favorite album. Are any of them good? Are there any good songs at least? I felt like the reception was so bad, I didn't want to go there.

I have listened to both and have a soft spot for many of the songs...the production on both albums is a mess (on Nobody's Daughter i think it's more the mixing that is bad) but there are some good songs buried in there. it sucks because I think they both had a lot of potential to be a lot better than they turned out.

these are the songs I'd recommend from both if you're interested:

America's Sweetheart
    Mono
    Sunset Strip
    All the Drugs
    Almost Golden
    I'll Do Anything
    Uncool
    Never Gonna be the Same

plus But Julian, I'm A Little Bit Older Than You, but only the live version which is still messy but in a good way (the album version is neutered): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgMmfKIgSjc

Nobody's Daughter
    I actually think all of the songs are pretty good except maybe Loser Dust. My favorites are the title track, Someone Else's Bed, and Honey. From the demos that have leaked, the title track (which is a completely different song just with the same name, Pacific Coast Highway, For Once in Your Life, and Sunset Marquis are my favorites.
    Last edited by MikeEP; 07-20-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Nothing can live up to Live Through This. NOTHING. It's prob my No. 1 album of all time.

However, I LOVE Celebrity Skin.

After that, it's pretty bad. But there are two songs I like.

One is Mono, the lead single form America's Sweetheart (the video is fun too):

And the other is Happy Ending Story, the best song from Nobody's Daughter that isn't even on the album (B-Side I think):

I would love for Courtney to shock everyone and release a great album. Her voice is pretty shot though, and I don't know if she will ever be able to do it. The only way I can see anything happening is if a reunited Hole makes an album (Eric is a great co-writer for Courtney).
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

America's Sweetheart is not terrible. There's some decent melodies here and there and sometimes the lyrics, while not very good, are at least heartfelt.

As for Nobody's Daughter, I can't stand the officially released version. It sounds really hollow and polished away what made the songs good in the first place. This is one of those cases where you can see how damaging the choice of a poor production style can be (similar to Fiona Apple's Extraordinary Machine, but significantly worse). Trust me on this one: skip it initially and go straight for The Rehab Demos. Some of those songs are pretty good! Specifically: Pacific Coast Highway, Dirty Girls (Pop Version), Never Go Hungry Again, Car Crash and Happy Ending Story.

Courtney performed at Lykke Li’s new festival Yola Dia yesterday. She was billed as Courtney Love and the Chateau Band, which included Roddy Bottum (of Faith No More) and Scott Lipps who has drummed for her previously. I don’t recognize the guitarist but was surprised to see Micko wasn’t there.

According to setlist.fm, the setlist was:
    Miss World
    Hit So Hard
    Asking For It
    Doll Parts
    Gold Dust Woman (cover)
    Malibu
    Killing Moon (cover)

There are some videos on YouTube too, including this one of Killing Moon.

I love Courtney to death, but her voice sounds absolutely terrible. It's almost like she's not singing, but kind of talking.

Yeah she doesn’t sound great. My guess is she’s probably rusty from being out of practice. It’s nice to see her performing again though.

Here’s a great shot I saw on instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1WWqdPH...d=ianhq2bd8hwh

It looks like a reunion is being teased. Courtney posted a picture of the band in the studio and mentioned that they were "rusty af". It's unclear whether the band will just play live shows or plan to record new material.

I think they should stick to live shows. This just isn't the same Hole of 20 years ago. Look at what happened when the Smashing Pumpking (mostly) reunited: it spawned what is easily the worst album of Billy's entire career!

New song from Courtney:

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    http://thetownhall.org/event/bans-of...ned-parenthood

Courtney & Melissa are headlining a Planned Parenthood benefit show at NYC Town Hall March 14, along with Perry & Etty Lau Farrell, Rachael Yamagata, Joan as Police Woman, Betty & other "special guests"