Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how kids become shitty adults: blame the parents edition

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar

Cool how kids become shitty adults: blame the parents edition

i figured id make this separate from the screaming kids thread. so we're at garden of the gods in colorado--a public park with interesting rock formations. many of the rock formations are fenced off with a picket fence.

so we're walking around and this little kid runs up to one of the fences and asks his parents "can i go in there" and the parents are like "yeah sure". nice. even better though the kid says "but theres a fence!" and the mom replies "thats okay"". ah a fabulous example of teaching your kids the rules dont apply to them. surely when little jimmy gets a dui, a trespassing citation, or expelled for cheating his parents will say "he didnt learn that from us". surely no.

even better though the kid says "but theres a fence!" and the mom replies "thats okay"".
    The kid probably already suspects his parents are immensely stupid. That could actually pan out for the best.

Or maybe not.

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT Stumpy's Avatar
    Maybe the parents are hoping the kid will impale itself.

I firmly believe that my ex-husband formed his shitty, warped ideas of what a relationship is based on the bitter, twisted fights his parents used to have right in front of him

not to mention that they spoiled him rotten & he's a life-long thrill-seeker (and now convicted felon) thanks to their continual bailing him out over the formative years (I wish I'd known about that before I married him)...

Tomorrow is another day cinny~lou's Avatar
    ^ Huh. Were we married to the same guy? (Minus the felon part.)

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar
    A gem, courtesy of Not Always Right

4 WHOLE DAYS WITHOUT A DISHWASHER. OMG, human rights abuse! Call the police!

Ffs, if you can't cope without a bloody dishwasher, just give up. There's little more effort involved in loading and unloading the things than actually doing dishes the old-fashioned way.

Spoiled, stupid people.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    If those kids had any smarts they'd say no dishwasher means takeaways for dinner!!

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar

When you do something out of desperation...

My neighbor has a hellion for a child. I think he's about 5 or 6. He's a brat. There's no two ways about it. Screams for no reason. Just stands outside and screams like he's being murdered. When he gets tired of that he wails on his younger siblings to make them scream. I've seen him throw rocks as old people and their pets. The parents apologize for his behavior but don't me HIM apologize.

"Stop that or you'll get a time out."

over and over but no actual time out given.

Recently he found a new game to play. Throw all my toys over the neighbor's wall! I came home one day to 10 plastic balls, a football, a basketball, a bat, a tee ball stand, a small rake, a shovel, and some other shit. Again I tossed them all back over to their side. The next day, some of the same crap over the wall. I bagged them up and was going to give the toys to a friend who has kids. Why? Because the Dad of said Hell Child was heard by my husband saying, "I'm sure the neighbors don't want your toys in their yard." Damn right Skippy, so why don't you collect them and get the kid to stop?

My husband thought we (I.E. - me) should talk to the neighbors first before giving their toys away. The conversation began with Hell Child running screaming to their door, "Someone's here! Someone's here! EeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEeeEEEeeeeeEEEEEEEE!!!!" Mom opened the door and I ignored her and talked only to the boy. "Do you want these?" I asked, holding the bagged toys. Mom said yes. "Here's what's going to happen. If any more of your toys come over the wall, they are mine. I have glass objects on the other side of the wall that I don't want broken. If the toys land in my yard, they are mine. Are we clear?" The boy laughed and tried to slam the door on me. I pushed the door back open and asked, "Do you understand? The toys will be mine." He just stared at me. I repeated, "Are we clear? Do you understand?" I finally got a "yes" out of him.

Amazingly, no more toys have come over the wall until yesterday. Just one ball, which I put on our patio. Probably an accident and on Easter so I did what Jesus would do and tossed the ball back. After dark. After the dad peered over the fence and wall looking for it. Okay, maybe Jesus would have given it back right away but I did get around to it.

He's also cut back on the screaming.

I hate being the nasty neighbor, but what the hell am I supposed to do?
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

You're response is/was much more calm and diplomatic that I would be after repeated times. After the first time or the child screaming in the yard and/or throwing rocks at people/pets I would have had a very stern talk with the parents and let them know that after this I would be calling the cops because if they can't control their children I will call someone who can.

I've been where you are and those children didn't stop at throwing rocks and toys... I eventually came home to an entire patio set sitting ON THE FENCE (they were 10 and 12 at this point) and they were throwing grapefruit (from the tree that hangs from our old yard into theirs) over the fence and into our pool. I eventually had to call the cops when they tossed their cat over our fence... like literally threw the cat over the fence in a big arch. Little fuckers. Turned out that the oldest had also kicked the dog and broken one of it's ribs.

Kids are bastards when given free reign.
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    Exactly what you did do. The parents clearly aren't going to step up and handle the situation, so you're forced to.

So either you deal with that shit every day and clean up after them or you become a "jerk" who forces the issue.

This stuff drives me insane because I am constantly the "mean lady" in situations though I do legitimately like kids- I just don't like kids who are raised by sloppy parents.

A couple of weeks ago I was in line at a store when I kept feeling a tug on my purse, and looked down in time to see a little hand REACHING INTO my purse to grab at things. I leaned down and said "no, we don't put our hands in there and we don't touch things that do not belong to us."

"That's just how she likes to play! She's exploring!"
    "She doesn't get to put her hand on another person's things, and you also have no idea what's in my purse- are you insane?"

Cue lots of from mom and remarks to those around her about how SOME people just can't stand kids.

Surprisingly, not the first time I've had a kid messing around with my purse. I have a purse with a kind of cute pattern on it (elephant and umbrella appliques on one side), and while I obviously don't care if a kid points at it or even touches the appliques on the front, it's weird when that turns into "I'm going to put my hand in there and grab things!"

The irony is that of ot comes to calling the cops, I need only see Hell Childs dad. Yep. He's a cop.

The whole family sans dad was here where I work. It was total mayhem. The funny thing is, I didn't recognize them until mom said Hell Boy's name. I was annoyed that the kids were running around turning lights off and on, an attempt at a fire alarm pull waa made, etc.

The irony is that of ot comes to calling the cops, I need only see Hell Childs dad. Yep. He's a cop.
    Actually, that doesn't surprise me. I've known a few children of policeman and they've all been spoiled petty criminals! Vandalism, shoplifting, shitting on people's cars (yes, trufax) you name it. All children of highly-paid, high-ranking policemen.

Anyway, you're not the nasty neighbour. They are the shitty family with the out-of-control, disgusting children and you are the decent person who has to suffer them. My sister has a similar incident to your last year and the police did get involved. The big fat spoilt noisy shitstain of a grandson of her neighbour threw all sorts of shit into their garden, eventually escalating into throwing tools into their porch and smashing the facing up. Spoilt Shitstain is always at Grandma's because Mummy can't cope with his spoilt shitstain ways and grandma is too dumb to say no, deal with your own child. Apparently Shitstain can't be in Mummy's house in the daytime during school holidays because he does similar things to what he did to my sister and her neighbours won't wear him being around anymore. Also, Mummy is too busy breeding cats or some such useless activity to actually parent her stupid son. He also apparently got caught trying to set fire to his grandfather's house at some point, after grandma and grandad got divorced. Lovely kid.

Anyway, the poilce were involved with the damage to my sister's property and Shitstain was brought to a meeting to say I Am Sorry, during which apparently he handed over a wad of cash to pay for the damages to my sister's property. Mummy said it was his 'holiday money' (it was more than I earn in two weeks) which shows you what a spoilt shitstain he really is. Anyway, this was his Big Punishment. Next time the police are pressing charges. There will be a next time, obviously, because nobody's yet hurt the stupid brat where he feels it. Clearly in a family where money flows like water, just having to hand over this week's dosh is no punishment at all.

Actually, I suspect the parents may be grateful that you did what you did. (Kudos for the way you handled the situation, too!)

Maybe you should consider selling your 'Have A Word With The Kid' services to your neighbours