Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how kids become shitty adults: blame the parents edition

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Mickey Wrangle View Post
    Exactly what you did do. The parents clearly aren't going to step up and handle the situation, so you're forced to.

So either you deal with that shit every day and clean up after them or you become a "jerk" who forces the issue.

This stuff drives me insane because I am constantly the "mean lady" in situations though I do legitimately like kids- I just don't like kids who are raised by sloppy parents.

A couple of weeks ago I was in line at a store when I kept feeling a tug on my purse, and looked down in time to see a little hand REACHING INTO my purse to grab at things. I leaned down and said "no, we don't put our hands in there and we don't touch things that do not belong to us."

"That's just how she likes to play! She's exploring!"
    "She doesn't get to put her hand on another person's things, and you also have no idea what's in my purse- are you insane?"

Cue lots of from mom and remarks to those around her about how SOME people just can't stand kids.

Surprisingly, not the first time I've had a kid messing around with my purse. I have a purse with a kind of cute pattern on it (elephant and umbrella appliques on one side), and while I obviously don't care if a kid points at it or even touches the appliques on the front, it's weird when that turns into "I'm going to put my hand in there and grab things!"
    so....its not a crime, its "exploring"? i'll try that in court

Quote Originally Posted by fox in socks View Post
    Honest Judge, I was just "exploring" their house... and I was "curious" about the contents of her jewelry box... so I, uh, "borrowed" her diamond necklace because I wanted to, ummmm, "study" it...?
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
    Actually, I suspect the parents may be grateful that you did what you did. (Kudos for the way you handled the situation, too!)

Maybe you should consider selling your 'Have A Word With The Kid' services to your neighbours
    Doubtful they appreciated it. My point, and I'm sure all you would agree, is that I shouldn't have to. Suck it up and be a parent for Jebuses sake. The whole lot of them are taking a walk right now without leashes and Hell Boy is terrorizing the neighborhood dogs while dad is screaming at him to STOP. When I say stop boy, you stop! 3 kids and an adult screaming, all dogs barking, and their poor hapless granddad looking embarrassed as hell.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    Doubtful they appreciated it. My point, and I'm sure all you would agree, is that I shouldn't have to. Suck it up and be a parent for Jebuses sake. The whole lot of them are taking a walk right now without leashes and Hell Boy is terrorizing the neighborhood dogs while dad is screaming at him to STOP. When I say stop boy, you stop! 3 kids and an adult screaming, all dogs barking, and their poor hapless granddad looking embarrassed as hell.
    Jesus H. Macy... there's a guy in my neighborhood who does that... walks his dog and grandkids with no leashes And I have yelled at him repeatedly to keep his kids and his dog off my lawn, and that he clearly doesn't love his dog if he just let's him wander around without a leash. His dog has run at me (!!!) and I told him that I like dog's but I don't want strange ones running at me. AND his (grand)kids walk into people's yards, pick flowers out of people's gardens, and just generally wander all over and he SAYS NOTHING!!! He basically ignores me when I say something, too. Just blank stares. At first I thought he didn't speak English, but I heard him talking to another neighbor once when I was walking to work.

Assholes. The whole lot of them.
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    I have neighbors at the end of the street who just open the door and out go the children and the dogs, to play in the street. If I could figure out precisely which apartment they were coming from in what building, I'd have called Animal Control and Children's Services by now, because it's fucking ridiculous. I've nearly hit both the dogs and seen the children nearly hit by a car because they are allowed to run through the street with no supervision at all.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

I have never hated people so much as I hate my neighbors and their children. My whole family hates them. They're like the Duggar's. When I moved away 8 years ago, they just moved in and did not have children. Now, they have about 7. I've lost track. Their house is set up exactly like mine, which has 3 bedrooms (two are very small) and one bath. I can't see them staying there when the kids get older, but I wouldn't be surprised. The children are constantly screaming (high pitched squealing) and yelling. It's obvious when they are outside. We can often hear them inside our house with the windows closed. When I sat on our front step socializing the feral cats this winter, I could actually hear them inside their house... screaming. My mother exchanged words with the mother last year after one kid was outside screaming for far too long. She told my mom to "get a grip." Besides their awful children, their front and back yards are littered with toys and junk. Their rakes were left out all year long in the back yard, a flipped over sandbox, a child's shirt (!!!) and random crap. Their patio cushions are now set-up, so they're usually on the ground thrown all over.

We put up a fence 2 years ago because we no longer felt comfortable in our own backyard while they were outside. Tomorrow, the fence people are extending our fence by one panel, so we don't have to see any part of them or their mess. The funny part is that they created a garden up against our fence a few days ago, which is technically on our properly. The also started it exactly where our fence begins (gross). Well, the first panel is slightly angled towards our house, which will have to be straightened out, so we get to ruin their garden. Fuckers. I hope they say something tomorrow.

Also, who lets their children use their minivan as a playscape? I've seen them outside, playing inside and slamming the doors repeatedly. A few weeks ago, one was standing in the trunk while holding onto the door handle... jumping off and letting the door almost slam on him. Awesome parenting, right?

Marci, they sound awful. Who the hell has seven kids these days anyway (yeah, I know, irresponsible religious lunatics). I'm sure you're glad to be subsidising that kind of breeding through your taxes too! Anyway, that kind of horrible noise gets to me too, even in small amounts in public. I can't imagine having to endlessly listen to it through the walls of the house. I'd end up blasting them with the grossest, most blasphemous and nasty examples of death metal I could find or something. Screaming all the time is NOT normal. Kids shouldn't be in a state of screeching hysteria 24/7. Unless of course, they're unparented monsters who haven't been taught to behave indoors or out or given activities to occupy them in a constructive manner. I imagine they're just as awful when they're out in public as well, if they behave like that at home.

As for playing with the van like that, sounds like someone is going to be in for a nasty accident at some point. Cue more hysterical wailing, obviously. I have zero sympathy for parents who let their kids do stuff like that then act shocked when they get hurt or smushed to death.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    I could not handle all that screaming Marci. This morning I was on the bus and there was a lady a few seats away from me whose child screamed SO LOUD for about 40 minutes, before it must have screamed itself to sleep. Even with my headphones in I couldn't drown out the screeching. I have never been happier to get off a bus in my life. I swear I could feel my ovaries shrinking by the minute.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    Speaking of screaming -- there are a few kids in my neighborhood, none in my building, but there are some in the building next door. Their mother is sort of related to a co-worker of mine, and she knows who I am and that I work with her stepfather's wife. She's a complete loser. No job, just keeps having kids and basically doesn't parent them, just lets them run wild. Her eldest, a 10 year old boy, lives with his father, who took him away from the mother because she's so awful. But it's school vacation week and apparently she wanted her son here with her, so she got some friend of hers to drive her down to CT last night to pick him up. I guess the friend's truck broke down on the way back, so she apparently called her stepfather (my coworker's husband) at 3:15 in the morning to ask him to come get them. Which he did, because he felt badly about the 10 year old being stuck out there at that time of the morning. They arrived back at her house (next to mine) at about 4 am, and the 10 year old proceeds to starting running up and down the sidewalk screaming his head off. At four am! And his mother just stands there and lets him do it! I was about ready to murder someone.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

Quote Originally Posted by julius ebola View Post
    Marci, they sound awful. Who the hell has seven kids these days anyway (yeah, I know, irresponsible religious lunatics). I'm sure you're glad to be subsidising that kind of breeding through your taxes too! Anyway, that kind of horrible noise gets to me too, even in small amounts in public. I can't imagine having to endlessly listen to it through the walls of the house. I'd end up blasting them with the grossest, most blasphemous and nasty examples of death metal I could find or something. Screaming all the time is NOT normal. Kids shouldn't be in a state of screeching hysteria 24/7. Unless of course, they're unparented monsters who haven't been taught to behave indoors or out or given activities to occupy them in a constructive manner. I imagine they're just as awful when they're out in public as well, if they behave like that at home.

As for playing with the van like that, sounds like someone is going to be in for a nasty accident at some point. Cue more hysterical wailing, obviously. I have zero sympathy for parents who let their kids do stuff like that then act shocked when they get hurt or smushed to death.
    You're right - their behavior is anything but normal. There is a little boy that lives behind our house and while he makes some strange noises at times, he sounds like a normal kid playing. These kids on the other hand, they're a different breed that's for sure. We've actually joked about buying an air horn. This will be my first summer here at the house in a few years, so I'm just going to love "birthday party season" complete a with bouncy castle. All of the screeching from yesterday was due to a Slip-N-Slide. Of course, it's still on the lawn and towels were left outside overnight.

So, guess what the fence man asked today while he was installing the additional panel. "Do they run a daycare over there?" I wish I were kidding! Anyways, within a few minutes of fence activity this morning, the neighbors outside pretending to be busy, only to spy. I hope they got the hint. I'd love to mail them an invoice for the $600.

Quote Originally Posted by fullofwish View Post
    I could not handle all that screaming Marci. This morning I was on the bus and there was a lady a few seats away from me whose child screamed SO LOUD for about 40 minutes, before it must have screamed itself to sleep. Even with my headphones in I couldn't drown out the screeching. I have never been happier to get off a bus in my life. I swear I could feel my ovaries shrinking by the minute.
    Screaming children are the best method of birth control. If only my neighbors believed in the stuff, their good little Catholics. My family is wondering how long it is going to take for me to march over and exchange words with them. I need to research noise laws in the area. I'd love to figure out a way to creatively give them a dose of their own medicine.

Erin, that sounds like parenting at its finest. Luckily he doesn't stay with his mother often.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Screaming children make my eggs shrivel and die.

Find out if that sound that only children can hear affects you or your family. Play it on a speaker pointed directly at their house...

Quote Originally Posted by fox in socks View Post
    It'll fly about as well as "I was just testing to see how you would react to having your wallet stolen."

It is I, you son of a bitch. blissgurl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Screaming children make my eggs shrivel and die.
    LOL! I feel the same way - it really is effective birth control! I have slight maternal instincts when I see cute babies or behaving children, but when I am around screaming kids all of that magically goes away.

Marci, I had neighbors like yours a few years ago and I don't know who screamed louder, the mother or the kids. And the thing with that family that upset me the most is the mother had a cat that she wanted to get rid of, and since we shared a basement (it was a 3 family house), she left the kitty down there without food or a litter box or anything thinking that we would just take it in. We couldn't do that though because our dog and 2 cats couldn't handle another one, and it obviously had nowhere to shit so it would shit in corners. We fed her, etc., but couldn't keep her, and one day my sister, a veterinary technician at the time, had it out with the woman and told her it was simple to just drop off the cat at an ASPCA shelter, but because it cost a little bit of money the bitch didn't do it. Her solution was to let the cat outside, in the winter, and let it fend for itself. We saw the cat for a while and tried to feed her but she wouldn't come to us and eventually she just disappeared. I hope someone took her in but will never know. People suck!
    Suck it, Shawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Becka View Post
    Find out if that sound that only children can hear affects you or your family. Play it on a speaker pointed directly at their house...
    oh I wish I had thought of that when I lived in Halifax. My neighbours had two hellbeast children who screamed almost constantly. Their noise wasn't helped by the dad who also communicated via scream, so much so that I could hear him in his house when I was inside mine.