Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 117

Thread: Let's be crafty! An all-purpose crafty thread.

  1. #1
    condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    10,828

    Let's be crafty! An all-purpose crafty thread.

    Inspired by seeing this:



    which was here.

    I totally want to have a reason to make this.

    Also, not the most appropriate forum, maybe, but it's here or OIT, and I figured this could come under the "Arts" part of the forum heading.

    Knitters? Stitchers? All manner of crafty folk? What are you turning your hands to these days?

  2. #2
    I'm knitting a scarf! It's not very good, though.

    I also hemmed a pair of pants and was so excited that I did it properly that I proceeded to hem 6 more pairs. YAY! Now everyone can see my shoes.

  3. #3
    Make it Pink Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Arpeggiator Hell
    Posts
    2,468
    Are you just learning to knit, JayPea? Or is this just a frustrating pattern?


    Right now I'm knitting "Butterfull" from MochiMochi Land (http://mochimochiland.com/shop/), as well as the bedbugs pattern from her book. I highly recommend her patterns if you like toy knitting but don't like anything super complicated. For nearly all of her projects, you need size 5 dpns and the techniques you need to know are on the more basic end (knitting with double points, decreasing with knit 2 together, increasing with the knit front and back of stitch technique).

    I'm working on a quilt, too, but I've been really lazy lately. This is the last wall quilt I did:


    (I have a Wizard of Oz wallhanging that I made with similar fabric, so it kinda sorta coordinates with that)


    I used to have a floral "Fuck off" cross stitch thing but it didn't survive the move to our current place. Some poor guy with the moving company probably opened up his truck to see that sitting next to the tripod that we lost.

  4. #4
    condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    10,828
    I really want to make my own quilt. It's something that's been on my mind for a while, as I just adore patchwork quilts.

  5. #5
    Yay, craftiness!

    Soon I'll be starting this vintage pattern, probably in the same color, too:



    It'll be my first sweater!

  6. #6
    authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,565
    I cross-stitched a lot when I was in grade school. I should do a couple more just for fun. I really like the modern take on a folksy craft.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

  7. #7
    condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    10,828
    Cuddlefish: that looks gorgeous!

  8. #8
    Make it Pink Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Arpeggiator Hell
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    I really want to make my own quilt. It's something that's been on my mind for a while, as I just adore patchwork quilts.
    It's really not tricky at all to just start with your basic patchwork or even with a piecing a little bit racier. The issue really just becomes time and cost. It takes me 3x as long as I think it will to complete projects well, and fabric costs add up if you buy fabric specifically for projects.

    That's why I end up keeping all the stuff I make- I put so much time/money into a project that I become selfish and have trouble giving it away! Last summer, I slaved away on a quilt for a friend. The fabric alone cost about $120 (I think- possibly more, I'm not quite sure), and it took ages to get it together and to get it looking perfect. I handed it off to him and was dismayed when his response later that day was to take it out and throw it on the dirt to sit on while he watched fireworks. OK OK, enjoy the thing I made you and USE it, but good god- I kept thinking "that's $120 worth of fabric sitting on top of cigarette butts and dog piss. I will not scream. I will not scream. I will not scream."

    My most prized possession is the star quilt that a family friend made for me in my childhood. I use it, it's on my bed, but I am very careful about it. I handwash, I line dry, I meticulously fix up any little tears that might happen and the thought of ever having anything happen to it petrifies me. It's a work of art to me, I can't stand the thought of it being screwed up. If my house caught fire, I would seriously go back into it just to grab that fucking quilt (cat would be saved first, of course, but quilt is second).

  9. #9
    authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,565
    Quote Originally Posted by MumbletyPeg View Post

    That's why I end up keeping all the stuff I make- I put so much time/money into a project that I become selfish and have trouble giving it away! Last summer, I slaved away on a quilt for a friend. The fabric alone cost about $120 (I think- possibly more, I'm not quite sure), and it took ages to get it together and to get it looking perfect. I handed it off to him and was dismayed when his response later that day was to take it out and throw it on the dirt to sit on while he watched fireworks. OK OK, enjoy the thing I made you and USE it, but good god- I kept thinking "that's $120 worth of fabric sitting on top of cigarette butts and dog piss. I will not scream. I will not scream. I will not scream."
    OMG YOU DO NOT DO THAT TO A HANDMADE QUILT wtffff
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

  10. #10
    Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,887
    I made a blanket for someone and later he knew he was getting evicted for WEEKS and he got thrown out and supposedly all his stuff got thrown out too. I am FURIOUS. It was made with scraps, so the money isn't a huge factor, but it took time and I would have kept it if it was going to be so badly used. Jesus christ, if you know you're getting thrown out, just call someone to help sneak some of your stuff out, the personal mementos that are value-less and invaluable at the same time, at least. Other than I can't afford to do so, I decided I probably won't make big projects for people again, ones that are super time consuming. While it's fun to do stuff, finding so many people just disregard how much EFFORT you put into it just is so disheartening. some of my stuff is heirloom quality... or at least it was when I was finished with it.

    I am thinking of learning to knit. I'd like to make my own clothes. I don't have any fabric stores close by, so sewing them would be a pain. knitting a sweater and keeping it FOR ME would be easier to get supplies for. Maybe it'd be a disaster, but what I like about yarn is that one could unravel and start over or make it into something else.

    Here is my new pincushion



    anklet



    Bracelet



    Flip flops. I don't know if I made them if people would buy them and if I sold them, what would be a good price.


  11. #11
    And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Where it's Wild and Wonderful
    Posts
    680
    I've been knitting since April and have fallen in love. It's fun, relaxing, and a great distraction to keep my hands busy and not eating or smoking. My only problem is knitting ADD. I have 5 patterns on the needles right now. I need to learn how to finish something before I start something else.

  12. #12
    Make it Pink Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Arpeggiator Hell
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Frangipani View Post
    OMG YOU DO NOT DO THAT TO A HANDMADE QUILT wtffff
    Most of the time, the stuff I make for people is treated well. It just figures that the time it's treated badly is when it's not only expensive, but was a legitimate labor of love (I made the quilt in honor of his sister, who had committed suicide the year before).

    On the flipside, when I make something for my mom it's treated like a holy fuckin' grail. I made her a quilt celebrating the first children's play she had successfully published and she is insane about it. IT CANNOT BE TOUCHED BY HUMAN HANDS EVER EVER EVER. It's this really silly, strange handpainted quilt that I actually kind of hate since I think I could have done it better.

    Scarlet's pincushion is adorable.

  13. #13
    And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Where it's Wild and Wonderful
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by MumbletyPeg View Post
    Right now I'm knitting "Butterfull" from MochiMochi Land (http://mochimochiland.com/shop/), as well as the bedbugs pattern from her book. I highly recommend her patterns if you like toy knitting but don't like anything super complicated. For nearly all of her projects, you need size 5 dpns and the techniques you need to know are on the more basic end (knitting with double points, decreasing with knit 2 together, increasing with the knit front and back of stitch technique).
    I still haven't gotten the hang of DPNs. They are just so awkward for me. I can however Magic Loop and Travelling Loop on my circs. I need to check out those patterns. That might help with the ADD if I can find some cute/small/quick knits. I'm sure my daughter would love them.

    And that quilt makes me jealous. I can't even imagine the patience it takes to make one of those.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddlefish View Post
    Yay, craftiness!

    Soon I'll be starting this vintage pattern, probably in the same color, too:



    It'll be my first sweater!
    I love the way the sleeves on that sweater are constructed. Where do you find your vintage patterns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    I made a blanket for someone and later he knew he was getting evicted for WEEKS and he got thrown out and supposedly all his stuff got thrown out too. I am FURIOUS. It was made with scraps, so the money isn't a huge factor, but it took time and I would have kept it if it was going to be so badly used. Jesus christ, if you know you're getting thrown out, just call someone to help sneak some of your stuff out, the personal mementos that are value-less and invaluable at the same time, at least. Other than I can't afford to do so, I decided I probably won't make big projects for people again, ones that are super time consuming. While it's fun to do stuff, finding so many people just disregard how much EFFORT you put into it just is so disheartening. some of my stuff is heirloom quality... or at least it was when I was finished with it.

    I am thinking of learning to knit. I'd like to make my own clothes. I don't have any fabric stores close by, so sewing them would be a pain. knitting a sweater and keeping it FOR ME would be easier to get supplies for. Maybe it'd be a disaster, but what I like about yarn is that one could unravel and start over or make it into something else.

    Here is my new pincushion



    anklet



    Bracelet



    Flip flops. I don't know if I made them if people would buy them and if I sold them, what would be a good price.

    That pincushion is awesome! and I'd definitely wear those flip-flops.

  14. #14
    Make it Pink Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Arpeggiator Hell
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    I've been knitting since April and have fallen in love. It's fun, relaxing, and a great distraction to keep my hands busy and not eating or smoking. My only problem is knitting ADD. I have 5 patterns on the needles right now. I need to learn how to finish something before I start something else.
    I'm like that, too. It's why I will never be a good sock knitter. I make one sock and think "oh god, I HAVE TO DO ANOTHER? LAME, new project."

    I have this little area of my living room that's devoted to my craft junk. I get mad if my boyfriend touches it not because I'm worried about him messing it up, but because I don't want him to look at it and realize that there are about 15 different craft projects dumped into the corner baskets.

    I should take a picture of my living room for you guys not because I'm trying to show off my craft stuff, but more so you can see just how my crafts pretty much took over the whole house.


    edit: if you can use magic loop, you're fine for most of the mochimochi projects. Can you do icord, too? There's some of that. I honestly haven't gotten the hang of magic loop, and I've been knitting since I was a kid!

  15. #15
    And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Where it's Wild and Wonderful
    Posts
    680
    Icord is the only thing I can do on DPNs. And I think it's because I only need to use 2 of them lol. My stuff is strewn all over the kitchen and the living room in little canvas project bags. One of the nice things about teaching is that I get new canvas bags every time I go to a new training.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •