Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's be crafty! An all-purpose crafty thread.

You made me wonder just how many things I have started and not finished in my knitting basket:

The answer- 10 projects. Good god.

The needle roll is one my great-grandma made for my grandma. I still have all my grandma's old needles, too. NOT her old yarn though. Ech.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I have a project sitting in my knitting/sewing bag that's been there for over three years. It's just a shirt that I was changing the sleeves of. I've half of one sleeve sewn, but that's about it. I really need to find the gumption to go and finish it.

I've started a few knitting projects over the years too and not finished them. I'm terrible like that. I blame moving house so much. (to conveniently blame something other than myself.)

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MumbletyPeg View Post
    You made me wonder just how many things I have started and not finished in my knitting basket:

The answer- 10 projects. Good god.

The needle roll is one my great-grandma made for my grandma. I still have all my grandma's old needles, too. NOT her old yarn though. Ech.
    That's awesome that you can still use stuff from your grandma and g-grandma. Is that an entrelac beret in the upper left? I haven't gotten into any kind of colorwork yet.

I've got a question for you all: what should I make with a ball of red hemp yarn? I got it at a fair-trade store, and the only patterns I've found that call for hemp yarn are fucking washcloths!

I used to have trousers made from hemp! I'd say you can use it to make whatever you like, but if you only have one ball, then maybe a smaller project?

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    I've seen plenty of hemp hats, but that was California sooooo. Y'know.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddlefish View Post
    I've got a question for you all: what should I make with a ball of red hemp yarn? I got it at a fair-trade store, and the only patterns I've found that call for hemp yarn are fucking washcloths!
    Do you crochet or knit? What kind of weight is the yarn? (Bedspread, sport, rope, etc?)

There are lots of patterns for animals out there knitting and crochet. You could make a cuddlefish.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    I love the way the sleeves on that sweater are constructed. Where do you find your vintage patterns?
    There are a whole bunch here: Vintage Purls. I kind of love the bow tie at the end, it's just so random!

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    I used to have trousers made from hemp! I'd say you can use it to make whatever you like, but if you only have one ball, then maybe a smaller project?
    Trousers?! AWESOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Frangipani View Post
    I've seen plenty of hemp hats, but that was California sooooo. Y'know.
    A hat could work...like a meshy sort of cloche could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Do you crochet or knit? What kind of weight is the yarn? (Bedspread, sport, rope, etc?)

There are lots of patterns for animals out there knitting and crochet. You could make a cuddlefish.
    I'm a knitter and the yarn is about bulky weight (so like a thin rope). I think a small animal might do the trick. I did find a pattern for a cuttlefish, but I want something more cuddly than hemp to knit it with:

If all else fails, I'm making hippy hand restraints.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    lol I can't believe I spelled it with a D instead of a T. That pattern is ADORABLE. you could always try it and unravel it if it sucks. I've used yarn that I thought would be awesome and it wasn't and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    That's awesome that you can still use stuff from your grandma and g-grandma. Is that an entrelac beret in the upper left? I haven't gotten into any kind of colorwork yet.
    It is an entrelac beret! Unfortunately, the problem that I'm having is that I need to felt it even more to get the brim where I want it but in doing so I'll have to stretch the top out a ton to compensate. I'm also upset about it because, despite my best efforts, the colors pooled (which is why there's that green blotch). But otherwise it was lots of fun. Entrelac is actually really easy to do and has a great effect. And it was my chance to finally work with noro kureyon.

Boost, because I'd never heard of Ravelry until it won Community Site of the Year at the .net awards over Facebook and Twitter! It's a social networking site aimed at knitters and crocheters! Random and awesome all at once.

Also, hi thread boost!

there is no home without you hollerskates's Avatar
    knitters, what is is the best way to learn? by book, by web? can you recommend sites or book titles. i know nothing.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    I was a total flunky with a book. It had all these arrows that wrapped around themselves and looped all over the place that I couldn't follow it. I loved knittinghelp.com when I was learning. As far as books, the one I have found invaluable ever since I started is The Knitting Answer Book. Literally anything I could think to ask has a section in there. I carry it around in my project bag, so that if I'm getting stuck on something it's right there. And I'd also recommend getting started on some actual wool yarn. I had a hard time with the craft store acrylic. It finally clicked with the wool. Something about the stretch and stitch definition really helped me figure out what I was doing. And I'd also recommend a Ravelry membership. Ebby linked to it in the post above yours. There are thousands of members who are extremely patient and helpful, not to mention about a million free patterns. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I've only been knitting for about 9 months, but I'm so glad I got into it.

there is no home without you hollerskates's Avatar
    ordered the book! do you recommend a type of needles and yarn for beginners or is it all basically the same?

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Boost, because I'd never heard of Ravelry until it won Community Site of the Year at the .net awards over Facebook and Twitter! It's a social networking site aimed at knitters and crocheters! Random and awesome all at once.

Also, hi thread boost!
    Ravelry is great!

If other knitters have ravelry, we can be buddiez. I am http://www.ravelry.com/people/mumbletypeg

And as to learning, I still suggest the stitch n bitch books for starters in addition to just watching plenty of youtube videos.