Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's be crafty! An all-purpose crafty thread.

Quote Originally Posted by hollerskates View Post
    ordered the book! do you recommend a type of needles and yarn for beginners or is it all basically the same?
    This might be late, but I would recommend NOT getting wooden needles - try to find metal. Wooden can be really hard to get into the groove with knitting, since once you learn you kind of just sit there and do it without thinking too much, and I've found that eventually the wood rubs too much and splinters a little, which grabs at the yarn. Metal needles (I've not tried plastic, they may be just as good) are smooth and never catch.

As far as the yarn, I'm someone who really loves being able to feel the texture of things, and I often go for the "homespun" type of yarn that tends to be softer and a bit more irregular in thickness. I think it all depends on what you like the best. Good luck with knitting!
    I love you, Kenwood! Why don't you come back home to TGS and pick the peas out of my fried rice? And the rice. I just want carrots.

there is no home without you hollerskates's Avatar
    oh, wow. everyone i have spoken to recommends wooden needles for beginners. what to do?

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    I absolutely prefer my nickel plated needles to wood, and I flat out loathe bamboo. As far as yarn, I would pick a wool worsted weight that's spun evenly. When I was first learning, I found the evenness invaluable because with a uniform stitch definition, it's so much easier to see what you're doing. I got some Wool of the Andes from this awesome site. It's not the softest in the world, but it's cheap and there're so many colors to pick from.

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    My crafting problem is having too many projects on the go at once. I've just come out of a stressful homemade Christmas so I'm kind of looking at everything and thinking "nooo, no moar crafts!!!111".

I also don't have any particular craft style. I'll try everything. Perhaps this is why none of my crafts are to a particularly good standard. Perhaps I should concentrate on one and become better at it. I've been trying to teach myself crocheting from a book but I suck just as much as I did at knitting.

I'm also an idiot for not photographing even half the things I made this Christmas. I did cake stands from vintage plates and glass, decorative jars, sewing onto tote bags and a billion and one strings of bunting amongst other things.

Here's a link to some of my crafts on Facebook. It's the public link so I don't think you need to be on my friend's page.

Crafty

My most recent finished object. I'm officially in love with cowls now. It was super-quick to knit and I love how it turned out.

ZP Cowl by toadpea, on Flickr

ETA: please forgive the crappy bathroom pic.

Holy moly, you're gorgeous (and so's the scarf)!

Totally agree, I love your eyes o_o

That is gorgeous. Makes me want to try knitting again.

I've been working on a skirt - only have to hem it but gave fabric flowers a try instead. I need to get my UFO pile in check.

I make fabric flowers, too! I'm obsessed with them! That's such pretty fabric you're using.

Andrea - pretty scarf on a very pretty lady!!

Thanks! I have become obsessed also. I have so many different kinds bookmarked. It all started with felt dahlias. :P

Here are some of my flowers. Not great pics.

21102010481.jpgphotob.jpg21102010489.jpga.jpg

Those are all beautiful Abi, but I'm particularly fond of the ones on the far left and far right.

Oh, I love those Abi!

Not sure if there are any other sewists here, but Ruby Jane's Retro Fabric is having a massive sale - closing their brick and mortar store (which is way to close to work....), there is a coupon code for online orders also.

Only took me... oh 3 months to finish it. But my skirt is done! Yay!

ETA: I hate using flash - it's a navy sateen. Lovely sheen to it.