Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Proud of them because:

Thumbs up Proud of them because:

Miss Kaiya began reading Huckleberry Finn last night. This picture reminds me so much of myself as an 8 year old, curled up in a chair with a book.

http://twitpic.com/1wv3s0/full

Also, Garion was promoted to 2nd grade! He struggled this year in school due to his attention span, but began making a lot of progress at the end of the year. He will begin 2nd grade in a special intervention program that we'd been trying to get him into all this year, and his teacher says that she knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's going to do amazingly well. I'm so relieved!

Congratulations!

The Blasting Boy had a great year with his devoted teacher, the one that followed him from 2nd to 3rd grade. He went from below to above average in reading, and he's now reading books on his own, just because he likes to! RAH!

We're a little concerned about next year, and a new teacher.

And, after a miserable failure in bike teaching, where I ran behind the bike holding the seat, panting desperately, yelling "STEER AWAY FROM THE CURB! AWAAAAYYYYY AAAAAGGH!" The Curly Girl and I went out for another try. She said to hold the seat. I said No. "I'll ride my bike behind you, you have to learn this yourself." It took about 20 minutes. We've been going out for daily rides ever since.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    That's awesome. I love HF.

Oy With The Poodles Already!
    Yay for bike riding!! We've been trying to build up Xavier's confidence to take off the training wheels, but it's been going slowly.

Kiddo swam unassisted for 5-10 seconds at a time this weekend.

^ Congratulations! Swimming's next for us, the kids do ok, but not good enough.

Today, the Curly Girl and the Boy formerly known as "Blasting" passed the bike test I set out for them. 4 miles, through mild traffic, stop signs, gravel trail, pedestrians, dogs on leashes and babies in strollers. No injuries, one spill.

Proof -

^^ Woot! And nice job, Lucien!

Also: The Girl has been doing recreational gymnastics for just under a year. She's on summer "hiatus" now, but has been invited/recommended to join the competitive stream. Her coaches have all said that she's got lots of natural ability and great potential. Me? I think that if you can arch your back far enough to be able to cover your eyes with your feet, that's just weird.

Sounds painful! But congrats to her

I don't know about covering one's eyes with ones feet!

But that talent for gymnastics is wonderful, enjoy it!

Nate went on a carnival ride the other day and Jack and I were sitting there watching. When the ride started up and Nate (playfully) screamed, Jack darted from his chair screaming and crying for Nay-Nay running towards the ride's gate.
    He thought that ride was hurting his brother and he was off to help him.

(it made me teary)

awwwww

Need I say more?

Wow! Are you sure that's not a Photoshop trick?

Amazing.

Oy With The Poodles Already!
    Xavier, my reluctant to read, easy to frustrate and give up young man, read Green Eggs and Ham completely on his own. It took three nights, but he got through it. And not only did he read it, but he understood it and questioned and just all around absorbed it!

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he's heard the story before, but it's not a book we own (he checked it out of the library at school) and it's not one that he's "read" before. I am so proud of him and he is proud of himself too!

Also went to curriculum night last night, and his teacher said he is doing so well, and he's already adopting a leader role in his first grade class. YAY!

that's awesome news! I saw your green eggs and ham status the other day