Page 3 of 131 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The All-Inclusive Kylie Minogue Thread

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    holy hell, this album is amaaaaazing!!! she really brought it with aphrodite. this is straight-up pop, done RIGHT. like jake, i'm hoping this isn't just first-listen syndrome, but i really do think this is her masterpiece. and she's released plenty of brilliant albums (impossible princess, fever, body language, and i'd even call light years brilliant, though some may disagree). her voice has never sounded better. the production is tight and varied, but 100% cohesive. the songwriting is top-notch. the melodies are infectious and sublime.

i'll need to absorb everything before i deliver a full review, but i'm more than thrilled with what i hear.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

I've had two full listens since yesterday, and (while early on yet) I'm pretty confident in saying this is her best album. Ace production, brilliant hooks, and easily her best vocals throughout an entire album. Closer, Too Much, Cupid Boy, Everything Is Beautiful, and Looking For An Angel are current favs. And Get Out Of My Way is sure to be a huge hit, possibly even stateside. I hope Aphrodite is a massive success for Kylie, it certainly should be. Can't wait to get my official Itunes version, already pre-ordered!

Looking for an angel....*ah ah* an angel....

jglkdsjgad;k I love it all. Every song. Sometimes I skip "Everything Is Beautiful" but I still think it's great. It reminds me of Gaga's "So Happy I Could Die," actually.

Anyone else kind of notice a narrative? It slowly builds to the title track, which serves as an announcement that Kylie/The Goddess has arrived, then the rest of the album explodes with energy until the end. Before "Aphrodite," "All The Lovers" sets the mood, "Get Outta My Way" and "Put Your Hands Up" are celebrating her imminent arrival, and "Closer" and "Everything Is Beautiful" describe the mood right before the Goddess arrives. Etc etc.

I'm obviously obsessed.

"Looking For an Angel" is easily the best song of the bunch. Incredibly euphoric.

right now, i'm all about "aphrodite" and "better than today".

as she sings on "better than today", "what's the point of livin if you don't wanna dance?"

it's a flat-out PERFECT pop album. it has heart and it makes me wanna dance and it's exquisitely produced and her voice is ZOMG AMAZING and the lyrics are thoughtful without being overthought...........ahem -- i'm gettin carried away. forgivez.

first robyn's body talk pt. 1, now aphrodite... this bodes well for pop in the new decade!

scrambled eggs by Fabergť Rebel Angel's Avatar
    I'm joining the Looking For An Angel-love!!
    My song for the summer.

At Glastonbury w/ Scissor Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by Loca View Post

At Glastonbury w/ Scissor Sisters
    Kylie is rocking a little Stevie Nicks vibe there. Absolutely stunning as ever!

Closer is my new jam, it is such an infectious song! And Looking For An Angel is right up there. Really, though, I'm rather smitten with every track on the album. Hands down her best album to date. And that performance with Scissor Sisters is like gay mecca coming to life, so wonderful!

Just listened to it for the first time, and every song is fantastic! Such a concise and cohesive album!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darwin View Post
    right now, i'm all about "aphrodite" and "better than today".

as she sings on "better than today", "what's the point of livin if you don't wanna dance?"
    Ah, the two Nerina Pallot songs! Glad they're going down well

no wonder i love those two! good for nerina! someone's going to be getting some handsome royalties.

kylie has great taste in collaborators. from nick cave, to emiliana torrini, and now nerina. she obviously knows a thing or two about what will work and what doesn't. madge gets all the credit for being the brains in the business, but i think kylie is severely underrated.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    ^ Absolutely. I'm really happy for Nerina and I also agree with you about Kylie's choice of collaborators, I think that's one of her greatest attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by darwin View Post
    madge gets all the credit for being the brains in the business, but i think kylie is severely underrated.
    So undeniably true.

My Kylie love has exploded with the new era. I've always adored her but investigating her back catalogue more thoroughly and watching interviews/performances has made me a die-hard. It's also made me think a lot about why Kylie doesn't get as much credit as Madonna in the pop world. Kylie has an ear for melody and balls-to-the-walls pop. Madonna may have the edge because she's been able to change her sound and remain a fixture in the pop scene. She was able to do so, however, by establishing a strong presence so early on. And, the fact that she began in the US also gave her the edge. Had Kylie's earlier pop songs broken through in the 80s-90s, things would be really different in terms of who owns the queen of pop throne.

Furthermore - Kylie is so fucking likable. She's humble, eloquent, and always radiating. She's the Glinda to Madonna's Wicked Witch.

^
    Someone in the new Blackbook article made the same glinda/wicked witch reference and it really works.

In other news, my head severely hurts from playing the 'kylie hat drinking game' with friends last night. Thats right, I developed a drinking game round kylie's videos. It's a great way to introduce people to Kylie! Ha.