Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: "there's ALWAYS money in the banana stand" -- The Arrested Development Thread

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireTampon View Post
    Maybe they can censor him in a funny way.
    Maybe he has a twin brother.

Not sure if anyone has seen the latest news, a "remix" of season 4 is being released this Friday to Netflix ahead of Season 5 which is apparently coming very soon.

As someone who enjoyed Season 4....but not that much, I'm really interested to see if they can pull of editing it into a more cohesive season.

ANNOUNCEMENT TWEET

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I finished S5. It was... ok. I don't know if I would have enjoyed it more if it weren't so tainted by all the drama. Probably a little, but not a lot. It was messy and not in a good way.

I did enjoy some aspects of it a lot, but a lot of it was revisiting stuff we've seen.

I genuinely laughed out loud at a terrrrrrrrrible joke in the final episode...

s5 spoilers

So if you didn't like S4 a whole lot and are turned off by the real-life stuff, don't hurt yourself trying to binge this all quickly. It's not good enough for that kind of attention. It's not horrible, but it's definitely the 5th best season by far and I felt like it should have been better because we'll probably never see more of it again. I'd have liked it to have ended on a high note but it disappointed.

I wouldn't say don't bother to watch it at all because it did have some good moments (Alia!), but that's a personal thing for everyone given how S4 sat with you and how you feel about the cast.

I decided to watch it because Tambor is just one supporting person in a big cast. I normally do self-boycott problematic people, but it's getting harder to do it when they're in fucking everything.

After a poor 4th season (haven't seen yet the new one) and Tambor's behaviour against Jessica Walter (and against trans women on Transparent), I don't see AD continuing: https://www.wmagazine.com/story/jaso...jeffrey-tambor

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Four episodes in, I'm thinking I'm not really into this.

these days just seem to crush me
    I watched from the beginning of season 1 (I watched it years ago) and just finished. I watched the remix episodes and it started to get a bit tedious, and nearly gave up, but I pushed on through. But my god, the fifth season is not.funny. at all. So forced and phoned-in, like they didn't even want to be filming.

This entire era has been grim. The lazy writing, the blatant use of green screens and narrative loopholes to disguise the fact that these people no longer want to be in the same room, the fact that we had to get an updated version of the last season just to make sense of what was going on, the disastrous promotional tour... It's like watching the world's slowest trainwreck. At this point, the seasons are so far apart and so obviously phoned in, you can't help but feel that they've thrown in the towel. The female leads are clearly (and understandably) done, Tambor is the elephant in the room that's taking the show down with him, and new rumours of backstage drama and misconduct are coming out every other day. I love the Bluths and I'm sticking around until the bitter end, but it's time to face the music: Arrested Development is over.
    Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-12-2018 at 10:28 PM.

I didn’t even finish the newest season. It felt so forced and awkward. The whole Tambor thing really cast a shadow over it before I even started watching tbh. What a disappointing end to a show with three hilarious seasons.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I didn't finish it either. This might be overstating it (time will tell....) but after the first few episodes of Season Five and the interview where the male cast completely and awkwardly dismisses the Tambor event in front of JW, I think I might just be completely over the whole series. I loved the first three seasons, but I feel like I will never watch them again. The show has definitely run its course for me.