Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Crispy's Mini-Movie Review Thread (still sans pie)

Cool I'm not dead yet! Four slices and one whole pie!

Even though it's been ages since I've checked in here, I'm still watching loads of films and writing my two cents on them. Thought I'd share a few of the more current ones with y'all.

La La Land
    B

Full disclosure on three things, number one being Emma Stone is my cinematic Achilles heel. She could be in the worst movie ever and I’d still probably give it a C-. Two, I’m not a fan of musicals in general. It’s just not my genre, for the most part. And three, I saw this film about two star crossed lovers with my ex, and let’s just say we were going through some stuff. So we both came out of the same film and had wildly different interpretations of it. I sympathized with Ryan Gosling’s character and thought it was a sad ending. Whereas she thought it was a happy ending, just a little bittersweet. So, yeah. That’s where I’m coming from on this one. The opening number was a bit much for me and Gosling & Stone didn’t have the greatest voices, but apparently that was intentional. However, the music and lyrics were great. And it was shot beautifully. I’d definitely recommend seeing it for those reasons alone. And, of course, Emma Stone.

The Founder
    C+

Like most American’s, a good percentage of my diet comes from fast food. So when Michael Keaton and Nick Offerman star in a film about the founding of the granddaddy of all fast food chains, McDonald’s, I’m interested. The cast all delivered great performances and the subject matter was indeed intriguing. However, this film unfortunately suffers from poor direction and terrible pacing. A guy two rows in front of me actually fell asleep and was snoring through a good 20 minutes of the movie. And I didn’t even bother waking him up because he honestly wasn’t missing much at all.

Lego Batman Movie
    B+

I really liked the first Lego Movie, and this one just didn't have the same comedic oomph or come across as original as the first film since it touched on so many of the same themes as the Lego Movie— father son relationships, family, and loneliness. However, it’s probably the best film to ever examine the heart of Batman’s emotional pain and trauma of being orphaned. I think my nine-year-old nephew summed it up nicely when he said, “I like it. Batman was really emotional.”

Split
    B+

James McAvoy leads a terrific cast in this small, well crafted suspense/horror story that has a coda scene which gives it that M.Night “twist ending” he’s been known for throughout his career.

Logan
    B+

I tried to go into this film with few expectations, but I failed. Some of those expectations were met in a spectacular way and others were most decidedly not. A very long and spoiler filled review is below and the tl;dr version of it is this: Good=performances & action, Bad=complex plot & plot gaps, Ugly=heavy handed symbolism.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    You're back!!!!

I want to just jump in full force with LOGAN but I am long-winded with these types of questions and opinions of my own.
    I've read a number of comic books that have
    ANYHOW, I am so glad for your detailed, point-by-point BAD section because I share the same sentimentality.
    Last edited by Volta; 03-07-2017 at 02:54 AM.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log done had a child!"

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    You're back!!!!

I want to just jump in full force with LOGAN but I am long-winded with these types of questions and opinions of my own.
    I've read a number of comic books that have
    ANYHOW, I am so glad for your detailed, point-by-point BAD section because I share the same sentimentality.
    Thank you! I am so glad to know at least someone on the Interwebs agrees with me. I saw Logan on opening night and brought most of those points up with my friends there, and they were freezing me out and not really agreeing. Even worse was when I put that same post on a geekboard I frequent and got total shade. They were in line with the RT reviewers and were all, "OMG LOGAN is the BEST comicbook movie EVAAARRRR!11!1" I mean, it's a very good film, the best Wolverine movie by miles and miles, but it's not without its flaws. Not Suicide Squad level flaws, to be sure, but flaws nonetheless.

Now as to your comic book spoiler, which was much more abbreviated than mine (I thought you were long-winded?!?! ) regarding the film and X-Men books.