Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Crispy's Mini-Movie Review Thread (still sans pie)

Cool I'm not dead yet! Four slices and one whole pie!

Even though it's been ages since I've checked in here, I'm still watching loads of films and writing my two cents on them. Thought I'd share a few of the more current ones with y'all.

La La Land
    B

Full disclosure on three things, number one being Emma Stone is my cinematic Achilles heel. She could be in the worst movie ever and I’d still probably give it a C-. Two, I’m not a fan of musicals in general. It’s just not my genre, for the most part. And three, I saw this film about two star crossed lovers with my ex, and let’s just say we were going through some stuff. So we both came out of the same film and had wildly different interpretations of it. I sympathized with Ryan Gosling’s character and thought it was a sad ending. Whereas she thought it was a happy ending, just a little bittersweet. So, yeah. That’s where I’m coming from on this one. The opening number was a bit much for me and Gosling & Stone didn’t have the greatest voices, but apparently that was intentional. However, the music and lyrics were great. And it was shot beautifully. I’d definitely recommend seeing it for those reasons alone. And, of course, Emma Stone.

The Founder
    C+

Like most American’s, a good percentage of my diet comes from fast food. So when Michael Keaton and Nick Offerman star in a film about the founding of the granddaddy of all fast food chains, McDonald’s, I’m interested. The cast all delivered great performances and the subject matter was indeed intriguing. However, this film unfortunately suffers from poor direction and terrible pacing. A guy two rows in front of me actually fell asleep and was snoring through a good 20 minutes of the movie. And I didn’t even bother waking him up because he honestly wasn’t missing much at all.

Lego Batman Movie
    B+

I really liked the first Lego Movie, and this one just didn't have the same comedic oomph or come across as original as the first film since it touched on so many of the same themes as the Lego Movie— father son relationships, family, and loneliness. However, it’s probably the best film to ever examine the heart of Batman’s emotional pain and trauma of being orphaned. I think my nine-year-old nephew summed it up nicely when he said, “I like it. Batman was really emotional.”

Split
    B+

James McAvoy leads a terrific cast in this small, well crafted suspense/horror story that has a coda scene which gives it that M.Night “twist ending” he’s been known for throughout his career.

Logan
    B+

I tried to go into this film with few expectations, but I failed. Some of those expectations were met in a spectacular way and others were most decidedly not. A very long and spoiler filled review is below and the tl;dr version of it is this: Good=performances & action, Bad=complex plot & plot gaps, Ugly=heavy handed symbolism.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    You're back!!!!

I want to just jump in full force with LOGAN but I am long-winded with these types of questions and opinions of my own.
    I've read a number of comic books that have
    ANYHOW, I am so glad for your detailed, point-by-point BAD section because I share the same sentimentality.
    Last edited by Volta; 03-07-2017 at 02:54 AM.
    Gone. When hope is almost gone, you know that's the time we must stand strong --
    Every girl in every band- Every cosmic cowboy in the land -to the Earth will you show mercy?

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    You're back!!!!

I want to just jump in full force with LOGAN but I am long-winded with these types of questions and opinions of my own.
    I've read a number of comic books that have
    ANYHOW, I am so glad for your detailed, point-by-point BAD section because I share the same sentimentality.
    Thank you! I am so glad to know at least someone on the Interwebs agrees with me. I saw Logan on opening night and brought most of those points up with my friends there, and they were freezing me out and not really agreeing. Even worse was when I put that same post on a geekboard I frequent and got total shade. They were in line with the RT reviewers and were all, "OMG LOGAN is the BEST comicbook movie EVAAARRRR!11!1" I mean, it's a very good film, the best Wolverine movie by miles and miles, but it's not without its flaws. Not Suicide Squad level flaws, to be sure, but flaws nonetheless.

Now as to your comic book spoiler, which was much more abbreviated than mine (I thought you were long-winded?!?! ) regarding the film and X-Men books.

Cool Nine fine documentary slices...for reel!

Blackfish
    A+

Engaging and enlightening documentary on orcas in captivity and numerous injuries and deaths orcas have caused to their trainers while in captivity. The film centers round a case OSHA made against Sea World after trainer Dawn Brancheau was violently mutilated and killed in 2010 by the same orca that killed another female trainer 20 years prior.

Chasing Coral
    A+

A Netflix documentary about the devastating effect global warming is having on the coral population around the world and why it is so important. This doc is not only beautifully shot and scored, but it did exactly what a great documentary is supposed to do: it entertained, connected, and educated the audience regarding the subject matter. Climate change and its effects will not lessen over night, but this doc left me feeling hopeful that we will make progress before it’s to late for the coral and us.

Chaos on the Bridge
    A

William Shatner made a documentary about ST:TNG? Yes he did. And it's awesome! I would’ve given this film an A+, but it needed about 20 more minutes. Seriously, I did not want this documentary to end. Writers, studio executives, producers, and actors from the series talk very candidly to Shatner as he does a surprisingly great job of interviewing them all. A total must see for any ST:TNG fan!

GLOW: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling
    B+

It’s a short but sweet documentary on the surprisingly popular late 80s wrestling show and the men and women who brought it to life. It clearly inspired the creators of the Netflix series, and if you liked season one of the show then this is a must see.

Going Clear
    A

Excellent HBO doc on the history of Scientology and how its practices of intimidation, extortion, and outright abuse have made it a billion dollar institution.

Know Your Enemy – Japan [1945]
    A

Directed by Frank Capra and narrated by Walter Houston & Dana Andrews, this 1945 US military funded propaganda film starts off with a disclaimer about the “Nisei” or second generation Japanese-Americans born in America, who love America, and even fought for America in WWII, but then it ends with saying this film isn’t about them—it’s about “the Japs in Japan.” Damn. Netflix has some balls putting this up, but it’s an unfiltered look at a very specific point in American history. It’s propaganda for sure, but it’s also meant to explain to Americans (soldiers especially) exactly how Japan came to be an enemy of the USA. There were a few whitewashes I noticed, like the part about Commodore Perry “extending the hand of friendship” in order to open trade with Japan in the 1800s. However, there was a lot of accurate and surprisingly unbiased information considering the cultural climate in which this film was made.

Secrets of Selfridges
    B

This is a short PBS doc on American retail pioneer H.G. Selfridge who created the titular department store in London in the early 1900s. He was so good at retail that he revolutionized the way shopping was done all over the world and many of his techniques are still used today to get us to enjoy shopping so much that we just can’t stop. Huzzah consumerism!

Starring Adam West
    A

This entertaining documentary takes an unflinching look at the highs and lows of Adam West’s personal and professional lives. It is set around the premise of a superfan, and LA radio host, trying to get West a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Interspersed with the struggle to get him his recognition, is a look back on the career of the winsome and affable Adam West.

The Pirate Bay - Away From Keyboard
    B

This documentary about the Swedish trio of guys who started the massively popular torrent sharing site and their trial (and following round of appeals in Sweden circa 2008-2012) offers an interesting, if incomplete look at the lives of these three men at this time. It also focuses on how file sharing and Net Neutrality are interwoven in a fragile thread that big business wants to have global governments sever.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I saw Logan on opening night and brought most of those points up with my friends there, and they were freezing me out and not really agreeing.
    I kinda understand them. I find it pretty annoying when a friend you've gone to the movies with pick it apart too much in that moment. I need to digest new movies, and I don't want someone else's plot-by-plot analysis affecting my feelings too much. Especially if it's negative. Such a buzz kill if you've gone out of the theater with a positive feeling. I usually save the analysis for the next couple of days.