Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: This is heart-warming. (happy lgbt news thread)

Isn't it great what Lisa Lampanelli did? She donated $1000 to Gay Men's Health Crisis for each Westboro Church member that protested her show - $50,000 total.

What a fantastic idea!

Love her!

Awesome.

I think every celebrity should do that from now on. Of course, the WBC will probably still eat up the attention and call them fag-enablers, etc. But still, it's nice to see people like Lisa turning the tables on them a bit.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=123532344395752

In 2011 my partner and I were selected to appear in an advertisement for QAHC (Queensland Association of Healthy Communities – www.qahc.org.au). The picture you see on this event is the final product. The aim of this campaign is to promote safe sex for gay men, but also for the wider community. We also felt that this campaign and the exposure these advertisements granted would help gain a wider level of acceptance of the gay com...munity. The image displays not only love and tenderness; you can clearly see our engagement ring and the Christian cross which Anthony wears around his neck. We are real people, and this campaign is about real people. We have been together for six and a half years, we've been engaged since August last year, and just last week we were approved to become foster parents, which will now be happening very soon. We are real people, with a real life, in real love.

This evening, Adshel, the company that distributed our ads to bus shelters across Brisbane, have WITHOUT the consent of QAHC, removed all of our advertisements. This has been due to Wendy Francis and The Australian Christian Lobby Group. Adshel has bowed to BLATANT homophobia and in 2011 there is NO PLACE FOR THIS. To read the complaints, visit: http://www.qahc.org.au/files/shared/...complaints.pdf

We are asking everyone to help us take a stand and contact Adshel and demand that the adverts be put back up in their original locations.

Email: via website http://www.adshel.com.au/who/contact
    Write: Suite 19 Plumridge House, 36 Agnes St Fortitude Valley Q 4006

Please invite EVERYONE you know to this event. If you want to go further, please save our image and upload it as your profile picture so when people ask what it's about you can spread the word of this cause. If you want to go further still, please print the poster out and post them wherever we can in public spaces.

What we need from you at least though, is for you to show your support by choosing ‘YES’ when you RSVP to this event. Please spread this message as much as you can, this means something to us: it's about equality, and it’s about standing up against homophobia and so much more.

Please find below QAHC’s detailed response to complaints from the Rip & Roll campaign:
    http://www.qahc.org.au/files/shared/...s_Response.pdf

The response to this has been amazing!

http://www.samesame.com.au/news/loca...sters-back.htm

Adshel, the ad company which removed Brisbane’s HIV-awareness same-sex couple ad (pictured) from bus shelters after a clearly orchestrated campaign by the Australian Christian Lobby, has just announced it has reversed its decision and will immediately reinstate the campaign.

The decision follows widespread condemnation of the advertising promotion company, including a 36,000-member strong protest Facebook page and an impromptu protest outside its Brisbane office this lunchtime.

Adshel’s new statement acknowledges that the few dozen complaints it received about the cuddling gay couple ad were part of a campaign by the Australian Christian Lobby. Here’s the statement in full:

Following ACL Queensland director Wendy Francis’ acknowledgement that the complaints received by Adshel, Brisbane City Council and the Advertising Standards Bureau regarding QAHC’s campaign have been orchestrated by the Australian Christian Lobby, Adshel is reinstating the ‘Rip and Roll’ campaign.

Adshel earlier responded to a series of complaints by removing the campaign from its media panels yesterday. None of the complaints indicated any liaison with the ACL, so Adshel was made to believe that they originated from individual members of the public.

Adshel CEO Steve McCarthy comments: “It has now become clear that Adshel has been the target of a coordinated ACL campaign. This has led us to review our decision to remove the campaign and we will therefore reinstate the campaign with immediate effect.”

Well done everyone for taking a stand on this issue!

Wendy Francis, the new QLD Director of the ACL is the bigot behind all of this:

I love Wendy.
    She's such a pig she's basically an anti-advocate for the prehistoric principles she's trying to promote.

^ Aw that's great! I just joined the FB group two days ago after hearing about it, it's awesome to hear they reversed such a stupid decision.

California Governor Signs FAIR Education Act, Requiring Schools to Add LGBT History to Curriculum

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2011/07/bre...#ixzz1S7apOl9z

I just posted a thread about that! Such great news.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    California Governor Signs FAIR Education Act, Requiring Schools to Add LGBT History to Curriculum

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2011/07/bre...#ixzz1S7apOl9z
    I was so excited to read about this in the SF Chronicle. Good job gov.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    World's first pro-gay reggae album

"Jamaican reggae singer Mista Majah P has released the world's first pro-gay reggae album. Called Tolerance and featuring rainbow stripes on the cover, the album includes 11 songs, variously in support of same-sex marriage and adoption by gay couples, as well as attacks on homophobic bullying and the US military policy, Don't Ask Don't Tell. The tracks also feature swipes at the anti-gay prejudices of 'murder music' reggae singer Beenie Man and of the Jamaican Prime Minister Bruce Golding," said human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell.

Mr Tatchell is the international coordinator of the Stop Murder Music campaign, which since 2004 has protested against eight reggae singers who have put out songs encouraging and glorifying the murder of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people.

Although Mista Majah P is not gay, he supports the LGBT communities and gay equality. Explaining why he created the album, Mista Majah P said:

"I want to counter the myths that all Jamaicans are homophobic and that all reggae music is violent and anti-gay. I'm seeking to challenge ignorance and reach out to gay people."

He added:

"My hope is that this cd, Tolerance, will break down the homophobic stance that certain reggae artists and heads of government have taken towards the LGBTQ community. Because of the hateful songs that some performers have been singing, gay people have been threatened and harmed. Some foolish people act upon what these artists are preaching because they worship these artists like gods. My music is about tolerance. It shows that reggae music can respect gay and lesbian people. Reggae music used to be about love, peace and unity. Now it is too often about bigotry and violence. I want to bring the music back to its progressive roots," said Mista Majah P

"Since releasing the album, Mista Majah P has received numerous death threats and has been warned to not return to Jamaica (he currently resides in California). He's undeterred and defiant, stating that 'murder music' has given reggae a negative image, which is bad for the music industry and for all reggae artists," noted Mr Tatchell.

Listen to samples of all 11 tracks on the Tolerance album here
    Last edited by beanstew; 08-26-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: broken link
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

This is definitely heartwarming. I wish all parents were as supportive and open.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairn View Post
    This is definitely heartwarming. I wish all parents were as supportive and open.
    ^ That story made me tear up. Wonderful parents indeed. I can understand Jackie's grandfather's concerns, but it's quite obvious, that, as her parents say, she was born in the wrong body. Kids are incredibly intelligent and know themselves quite well.

When I was a kid I was mostly into "girly" stuff, too, and my mother was perfectly okay with it, allowing me to wear her clothes, play with her makeup, and so on. I stopped caring about that stuff by the time I was 8 or so. It's important for parents to allow their kids to be who they feel comfortable being, not what is socially acceptable.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

Absolutely.

I really was hoping to see the whole interview but didn't have a chance to. I think it speaks volumes as to what the purpose of parenting actually is and I think it's ridiculously rare that that is what is actually happening.

My partner and I are celebrating our 11 year anniversary today !

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Congratulations!