Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: This is heart-warming. (happy lgbt news thread)

Congrats!

Very heartwarming indeed.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Yay! that is wonderful!

Congrats to you & R., Mario!

Woot: Zachary Quinto finally is open about his sexuality in an article: http://nymag.com/movies/features/zac...uinto-2011-10/

He posted about it on his website:

nyc...

when i found out that jamey rodemeyer killed himself - i felt deeply troubled. but when i found out that jamey rodemeyer had made an it gets better video only months before taking his own life - i felt indescribable despair. i also made an it gets better video last year - in the wake of the senseless and tragic gay teen suicides that were sweeping the nation at the time. but in light of jamey's death - it became clear to me in an instant that living a gay life without publicly acknowledging it - is simply not enough to make any significant contribution to the immense work that lies ahead on the road to complete equality. our society needs to recognize the unstoppable momentum toward unequivocal civil equality for every gay lesbian bisexual and transgendered citizen of this country. gay kids need to stop killing themselves because they are made to feel worthless by cruel and relentless bullying. parents need to teach their children principles of respect and acceptance. we are witnessing an enormous shift of collective consciousness throughout the world. we are at the precipice of great transformation within our culture and government. i believe in the power of intention to change the landscape of our society - and it is my intention to live an authentic life of compassion and integrity and action. jamey rodemeyer's life changed mine. and while his death only makes me wish that i had done this sooner - i am eternally grateful to him for being the catalyst for change within me. now i can only hope to serve as the same catalyst for even one other person in this world. that - i believe - is all that we can ask of ourselves and of each other.

zq.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    My teenage niece's tough(ish)-guy boyfriend just added me as his Uncle on FB. Awwww.

Florence is not your bitch. Steve SFM's Avatar
    I like this thread.

Belated happies, Mario.
    You are not burdening anyone who truly cares about you, by telling someone you feel scared by this. It is scary. Don’t try and be a hero, just be fucking afraid and tell someone. Jessica Barden

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Check this out: http://www.popnography.com/2011/10/i...llied-boy.html

Tanner Mosquil lives in Gastineau, Canada. He's 14 years old, gay, and until a few days ago, he was being bullied relentlessly. His classmates started a derogatory Facebook group to tease him, and commenters on his Tumblr, Make Me Feel Broken, were telling him to "kill himself" and "eat shards of glass." The Tumblr features images of cutting and references to suicide and depression. Then, on October 19, there was this:

"i think i wanna kill you right about now," someone wrote.

"me too," was Tanner's answer.

That's where the story turns. A concerned local, deeply affected by the October 17 suicide of Jamie Hubley, another bullied gay teen in the Ottawa area, put up a call to arms on Reddit titled "Make this kid feel loved." It didn't take long for a huge number of people to mobilize in support of Tanner. The offensive Facebook page was reported and taken down. Concerned people left videos and notes on his Tumblr and Twitter, and a support group sprang up, We Love You Tanner, which is packed with personal stories and inspiring words. There's no telling if the bullying has stopped for Tanner in the real world, but now he's got a virtual army at his back.

Yesterday Tanner posted again, thanking the many people who rallied around him. "People who don't even know me... made me get hope back." And a bit later: "Feeling grateful today. Today has been the best Spirit Day I could think of."
    make sure to check out the links. The tumbler posts and the videos, so moving. It really gives me some more faith in humanity. I think I have something in my eye....

Awwww!

Also, children and teens can be some of the cruelest and most vindictive people ever, and it always surprises me when people talk about "the innocence of childhood" or "childlike kindness". My childhood was some Cat's Eye type shit.

In the garden of your mind. Tellurium's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Woot: Zachary Quinto finally is open about his sexuality in an article: http://nymag.com/movies/features/zac...uinto-2011-10/
    Why are do all the cute ones end up being gay!?

Oh wait. That's actually awesome for me. Woohoo!

Love this thread.

Awwww!! (plus, the lady who got crowned king is seriously hot).

http://jezebel.com/5854609/lesbian-c...king-and-queen
    On Friday Rebeca Arellano, a lesbian student at San Diego's Patrick Henry High, was chosen as homecoming king during a pep rally. She's the first girl to hold the title in school history, but it gets better! Last night at the dance, Rebecca's girlfriend, Haileigh Adams, was crowned homecoming queen, making them the first lesbian couple to be king and queen.

The girls, who've been together since sophomore year, are thrilled—not just for themselves but for what it does for other students. For the most part, their classmates have been very supportive, with only a few haters chiming in. Rebeca and Haileigh, however, aren't letting that get them down. They're incredibly proud of what this means. As Haileigh said, "The fact that other people are feeling more confident about themselves or feeling like they might have a chance at doing this, it's opening doors."

^ That's so awesome! Thanks for sharing it. Things are shifting
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

Okay, so apparently this exists. I don't know if it's meant to be read in a queer context, but that's definitely my reading of it.

Lyrics:

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    have a tissue ready. i thought that this was pretty well done. also love the song-

Awww, that was sweet! I'm so glad it had a happy ending; I sort of felt someone was going to die at the end.