Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Least Favorite Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
    I don't care if anyone thinks I'm not a true fan just because I don't like In The Springtime of His Voodoo. I find it to be really clumsy, awkward and almost unlistenable and find it hard to believe why it was ever chosen to be a single. I can only assume it was due to the almost as bad remixes that were commisioned for it.
    You're not alone in this. ITSOHV sounds like tori playing in the studio, making noises and just having fun for me. I don't even consider it a song; for me it's an interlude, but a reaaaaaally long one. Plus, the remixes done for the single are the worst made for Tori (yes, even worst than the Van Helden crap). And I consider myself a fan too, even when I love Hoochie Woman.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Banned
    Some of these choices have shocked me (Virginia, PGY, BoC etc). I guess my list is probably the most predictable one there could ever possibly be. From 1 (most hated) to 10 (least hated):

1. Ireland
    2. Harps of Gold
    3. Baltimore
    4. The Happy Worker
    5. Fire to Your Plain
    6. Walking With You
    7. Maybe California
    8. Oscar's Theme
    9. Ribbons Undone
    10. Dark Side of the Sun

EDIT: waitressboy, I find it remarkable that you hate Yes, Anastasia, In the Springtime of His Voodoo, Not the Red Baron, Crazy and Marianne, yet love The Happy Worker and Hoochie Woman.

Also, I feel so sorry for Mr. Bad Man. I love that song!
    Last edited by Zippo; 10-19-2010 at 10:44 PM.

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    This will be easy!

1. Ribbons Undone
    2. Maybe California

3. Toast
    4. Sleeps With Butterflies
    5. Drive All Night
    6. Ophelia
    7. Leather
    8. Secret Spell
    9. Northern Lad
    10. Most of Midwinter Graces

Not Dying Today (ugh ugh ugh. the only Tori song i really hate. lyrically and musically inept)
    Sister Named Desire
    Dark Side of the Sun
    Oscar's Theme
    Happy Worker
    That's What I Like Mick
    Teenage Hustling
    Mary Jane
    Frog on my Toe
    Harps of Gold
    Last edited by JamieC; 10-26-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Took out Waitress. How could I forget the deeply embarrassing Mary Jane?

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    You're not alone in this. ITSOHV sounds like tori playing in the studio, making noises and just having fun for me. I don't even consider it a song; for me it's an interlude, but a reaaaaaally long one. Plus, the remixes done for the single are the worst made for Tori (yes, even worst than the Van Helden crap). And I consider myself a fan too, even when I love Hoochie Woman.
    Is that (and people's general dislike of the song) mainly because of the first minute of Tori scatting nonsense or because of the rest of the track as well? I can certainly understand why the beginning isn't for everyone, and it took a long time for me to get past that part, but once Tori gets to the meat of the song (from "standing on a corner..." on), I think it's very well-done and fits with the rest of Pele's lyrical style and themes. Also, Caton's guitar work in the live version was excellent.

She was looking out the window Snow White's Avatar
    1) Ophelia
    2) Maybe California
    3) Mary Jane (as an album track. I wouldn't hate it so much as a b-side)
    4) Not Dying Today (ditto)
    5) Cars and Guitars
    6) Harps of Gold (I used to not mind it but the lyrics are cheesy at best, condescending at worst. "They'll show us how it's done / Out in the street / No, they don't have much / Oh, but listen to them sing" Blech.)
    7) Yo George (I don't mind most of ADP because I'm interested in her use of pastiche, but this song fails in every possible way.)
    8) Goodbye Pisces
    9) Mother Revolution
    10) Hoochie Woman

I don't understand the hate for Wampum Prayer. I think it's stark and biting and lovely for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    ^ i've never understood why people don't like Witness.
    It just sounds so forced to me. The "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon" part always makes me cringe.

I do wish the "is it any wonder?" bridge had been extended to a song in its own right, though.

Banned
    Sweet the Sting
    Ribbons Undone
    Teenage Hustling
    You Can Bring Your Dog
    Fat Slut
    Roosterspur Bridges
    Dark Side of the Sun
    Curtain Call
    Fire to Your Plain
    That Guy

1. Teenage Hustling - It's the only song I consistently skip in her entire catalogue... I find it too abrasive.

and then in no particular order:

That Guy - The music is great. But the lyrics kill it for me. I really want to like it. And I listen to it, regardless. It's just unfortunate. Same goes for Ophelia.

I Don't Like Mondays - Bleh. Good lyrics though.

Goodbye Pisces - I certainly don't hate it, but it's the only song I will sometimes skip on an album that I find pretty perfect (yes, I love TBK)

Maybe California - I want to like this one sooo badly. I appreciate its sentiment, but it doesnt really move me.

Ode to My Clothes - Indifference more than dislike.

And that's really all that comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JHV View Post
    Is that (and people's general dislike of the song) mainly because of the first minute of Tori scatting nonsense or because of the rest of the track as well? I can certainly understand why the beginning isn't for everyone, and it took a long time for me to get past that part, but once Tori gets to the meat of the song (from "standing on a corner..." on), I think it's very well-done and fits with the rest of Pele's lyrical style and themes. Also, Caton's guitar work in the live version was excellent.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    You're not alone in this. ITSOHV sounds like tori playing in the studio, making noises and just having fun for me....
    That's kind of exactly what's appealing about this brilliant song for me. It's Tori experimenting/improvising with 3 different instruments and imperfect raw vocals to craft an interesting atmospheric non-traditionally structured pop song. Other instruments (including drums) are used (awesomely) as accents. It feels like a sweaty Louisiana night during a heatwave. I can smell this in the song. I see it in the album's artwork. It's the complete antithesis of the safe pristine sterile traditional pop albums that she now produces.

The lyrics are awesome. Part of Pele's lyrical structure is that it's full of pop culture/mythology references. They all come to a head in this almost end-of-album song- Eagle's lyrics, Thelma and Louise . Mr. Sulu. The angry snatch verse is possibly the purest most relateable lyrical expressions of horniness that I've ever heard - and I'm a dude.

Edit: Yes, the remixes are horrible.

I loved Voodoo the first time I heard it, even the beginning. I actually really liked the beginning and don't see how it's embarrassing. Tori makes random sounds all the time (sometimes orgasmic), it freaks my friends out when I ask them to listen to her (dumb bitches :< ) but when I hear it it just feels like a part of the song.

Anyway, I guess I can understand not liking Voodoo just like any other song...it's just one of those songs you expect everyone to like. The only part about it I don't like is when she sings those lyrics overlapping (and then right there for a minute, etc etc + singing other stuff at the same time). It kinda works, but it just makes it hard to focus on the song. I have the same problem with the studio version of Father Lucifer when she does it.

Also, Maybe California is almost definitely gonna be on my list.

Oh man, the overlapping lyrics are the best part, for me!!

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    (not familiar with MG, so....)

Mr Bad Man
    500 Miles
    Fire to Your Plain
    Teenage Hustling
    You Can Bring Your Dog
    Secret Spell
    Programmable Soda
    Posse Bonus
    Dolphin Song
    Almost Rosey

And it seems almost all of them are from ADP. Huh...And not one is from The Beekeeper. Weird. If someone had told me this in 2005, I don't think I would've believed them.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JHV View Post
    Is that (and people's general dislike of the song) mainly because of the first minute of Tori scatting nonsense or because of the rest of the track as well? I can certainly understand why the beginning isn't for everyone....
    Good point - I had completely forgotten how much that used to irritate me! Even did an edit leaving out the scatty-intro, which I now love as 'classic Tori', heh. Who knows maybe one day I'll look back on some I now shun similarly.

Quote Originally Posted by liquid_running View Post
    It just sounds so forced to me. The "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon" part always makes me cringe.

I do wish the "is it any wonder?" bridge had been extended to a song in its own right, though.
    The bridge on Witness is sooooo long that by the times it finally ends, you forgot what was the melody of the song. So that kinds ruins it, yes.
    Somehow I see Witness as the older sister of Hoochie Woman, like a more serious version of HW. That said, I think that Tori didn't use the choir in a good way. The choir could sound HUGE, powerful, giving to Witness an intensity and a sexual passion that the song actually totally lacks of. If somebody told me that the voices were made with a synthesizer, I would've totally believed it.

Oh, and I also dislike Garlands.
    And Bug A Martini. That song is ultimate crap.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.