Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Lykke Li

Quote Originally Posted by Domandapiano View Post
    She’s another artist I’ve never really gotten into. I listened to her most recent record a few times and liked it but then moved on.
    definitely recommend checking out I'm Good, I'm Gone from her first album and the Magicians remix of I Follow Rivers. those are two of my faves. No Rest for the Wicked is probably my all-time favorite by her though.

I have never-ending love for Tonight and Sleeping Alone

These are both fantastic and definitely growers. "deep end" could easily be a Loose-era Nelly Furtado song. The textures on "hard rain" are so her, yet contextualized more modernly. Cannot wait for this album!

Interview in The Guardian!

Lykke Li on Rihanna, hypnotism and being a ‘difficult’ woman in pop

So excited for the album!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

This isn't as bad as I feared from the two singles I listened to pre-album; definitely not better than Youth Novels or I Never Learn, but there are some solid moments. I'm probably feeling the title track, Utopia and Bad Woman the most on first listen (the bridge of Bad Woman was the standout moment when I played the album through). Deep End grew on me, too (Hard Rain not so much).

I thought this was interesting, from an interview with Entertainment Weekly:

It’s fascinating that Skrillex on “Two Nights” and Ali Payami on “Last Piece,” who are known for pop and dance tracks, are doing much subtler work here. Was it challenging to marry your style with theirs and retain the core of what you do? Because Ali just came off working with Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, and Ariana Grande.

If you talk to him he’d probably say it was maybe a difficult experience working with me because I’d take back the files and change the song! This is not necessarily how he wanted it to sound. This is how I made it sound. The thing with Skrillex, there was a version [of “Two Nights”] with drops and all kinds of things, and I took away quite a lot and just kept things I thought were interesting. Both of them probably feel like… I destroyed the track!

So, at first, there were instances where they were trying to apply their style to yours?

In the collaboration they do what they do and I do what I do, and then it’s all about how I can bring that into my world. And that was for the whole record. I’d done bits and pieces with a lot of different people, but then I, in the end, pulled back and sat with [executive producer] Malay, with a mixer, and took away things, added things, kind of like how I do always on my records. I’m very hands-on and I sit in the room like, “Tweak this, tune this, let’s take away this…” I start with a big collage and I edit it all together in the end.
    You can sort of hear that struggle in the final tracks; there are elements of contemporary pop but not really a full commitment to that direction (to the album's benefit, IMHO, but sometimes the conflict comes through).

Bummed to see a little Hard Rain hate. It’s easily my favorite song on the record and it set my expectations impossibly high when it came out. I didn’t say this before but I’ve thought it since I first heard it, it really reminds me of “22 (over soon)” by Bon Iver as an opener. A sustained pitch in the background throughout the whole thing, a repeated mantra (Bon Iver’s being “It might be over soon” and Lykke’s being the hard rain line), the vocoder harmonies. Just the whole vibe of it.

Anyways, I do actually really like the record. How could I not like a record that’s named after my entire aesthetic? It’s very much a mood album, and while individual moments might not be as strong, the album as a whole definitely lives up to the title. I love Hard Rain, Deep End, Jaguars in the Air, So Sad So Sexy, and Better Alone best. Jaguars borders on lol but in a way that’s super catchy and fun. Better Alone is just gorgeously produced and I think is the best single song on the record as a summation of what it’s about.

I love Hard Rain too. Still exploring the album but it’s still my favorite on first listen.

I'm going to have to listen to this. I thought her last two albums were stellar.

For those interested, it looks like the vinyl edition will be released August 3rd.

"Hard Rain" is fantastic. I love what I've heard from the album after two listens.