Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your biggest complaint about 'Fori'?

Thumbs down What's your biggest complaint about 'Fori'?

Whether we disagree on the timing (as in, after which album it happened), I think we can all agree that Tori has changed. For me, it's not even the plastic surgery (though it really did change her face) or all the couture... it's that she seems to spend more time on the concept of each album than she does on the music. I also very much dislike the fact that the 'dolls' from ADP carried over to the next project (AATS) and appeared on the visualettes.

What's your biggest gripe about 'Fori'?

Mushy tracks like Ribbons Undone and Maybe California, baby voice, soft MOR production.

Well I really can't stand the baby voice.I can accept everything,but when I hear all that sugar in her singing I'm very disappointed.Maybe because I've always loved so much the low 'evil'register(Crucify-Juarez-Blood Roses 1999)

I dislike her because she's not Tori, and she seems to know nothing about Tori at all.

Banned
    My biggest complaint about Fori, bearing in mind the wigs, the 'coture,' the plastic surgery, the phony persona, the horrible production, the terrible guitar arrangements, the dumbed down lyrics and dip in songwriting quality - would have to be that it all seems so unneccesary. Tori was (and yes, still is) so beautiful, (not that an 'ugly' person should run out and get plastic surgery), there was simply no need for the browlift botox addiction. Tori had/has plenty of money, there was no need for the shift to more commerical music. (And I don't buy the "protecting mah childz" bit). And there's no need to have your guitar player be your amateur husband instead of a proper player. (And as JIM once said, especially no need when you're Tori-fucking-Amos!) And the coture was unneccesary too. If you like fancy clothes, fine, but they don't substitute for actual content and artistic value, (hello YKTR hairspray, hello Abnormally Attracted to Suck visualettes).

So anyway, yeah, my biggest complaint is that Fori was so unneeded and unwelcome. What Tori was doing circa SW and SLG was working just fine, thank you.

I have no real issue with the wigs/surgery/couture, I love Tori mainly because of her music so that's all extra. My main issue over the last few years has been the push towards a less personal and more band-centric sound. The piano hasn't been at the center of the music anymore, and the inclusion of bass, drums, and especially guitar on nearly everything has ruined plenty of songs that could've been great. Lyrically, it also feels like Tori has distanced herself from much of the material or has simplified/dumbed down her approach, although I do feel like AATS was a more personal album than ADP and had better lyrics at points so there's been improvement. Recently Tori has acknowledged that the piano is coming back as the main focus and Midwinter Graces was a big step in the right direction musically, so I have hope for the next few albums to be better than TBK/ADP/AATS. I also hope they aren't as overstuffed as the last few, which really harmed them as cohesive albums, which is something Tori used to be great at making pre-2005.

My other main issue recently has been the use of the baby voice, which conveys very little emotion and just gets on my nerves. It's especially annoying live and destroyed quite a few songs on the AATS tour (Icicle was the biggest offender). If she could stop relying on it live, the shows would be a million times better (and i still think they've great for the most part).

I can understand that now she's a fortysomething, she's married, she has a daughter... her life sounds pretty good. I mean, when you're 20 you have a lot to say about sex and religion and power and politics and violence. You have all your life to live, and there are things that you don't like and you want to change. Then you grow up, you find a partner, and all the energy that you used to focus on changing the world is now focused in taking care of your children. And that's perfect, that's something that I want for my own life too.
    That's why I can understand that instead of a CALS or a line like "I believe in peace, bitch", we get "snakes and snails and puppy dog tails". I don't like it, but I accept it.

What I can't accept is that she's singing those lines like a kindergarten teacher.
    That fits in Ribbons Undone. But Fori made some great songs (Strong Black Vine, Code Red, for instance) and she TOTALLY RUINED THEM singing them with the baby voice.
    There was another thread here where you were talking about her voice, if the baby voice is because of, well, that she can't sing like before. And my complaint goes beyond that: it's not only about the voice, it's tone, the intonation. Like I said before: she sings like a kindergarten teacher. During the Fori era she became Pip, and in the concerts she showes that maybe she can't reach high notes as usual as before, but she can feel the songs and transmit that feeling when she's singing.
    She just doesn't do it.

My second complaint is Ireland.
    But I think I don't have to explain why.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    But Fori made some great songs (Strong Black Vine, Code Red, for instance) and she TOTALLY RUINED THEM singing them with the baby voice.
    You hear a "baby voice" in those two tracks? Really?

Most of Midwinter Graces has a baby voice (Holly Ivy Rose, Jeanette Isabella especially), but I don't hear it in Code Red or SBV at all.

As far as the whole "Fori" thing, I find it extremely childish.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    As far as the whole "Fori" thing, I find it extremely childish.
    I think that's just become the popular expression for how Tori is now vs. how she was 1992-2002ish. I have to admit, I wasn't active on the boards when the whole 'Fori' concept began, so I'm not sure of the exact origination of the word, but I always assumed it stood for Fake Tori.

As for the baby voice, I hear that much more live (or perhaps it seems more noticeable live because she spreads her arms out and makes a production of it) than I notice it on the albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    You hear a "baby voice" in those two tracks? Really?

Most of Midwinter Graces has a baby voice (Holly Ivy Rose, Jeanette Isabella especially), but I don't hear it in Code Red or SBV at all.
    Well, maybe Code Red doesn't suffer the baby voice thing, but she sounds exhausted. I said it before: imagine Code Red with the strength, the energy (and, yes, the production) of Hotel.
    SBV, in the other hand, sounds like a little girl asking for a lollipop. I just noticed that when I say the visualette: there's blood and war on the video, and she sounds like Barney. There's a gap, a huge gap between the intention of the song and how the song actually sounds like.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Mac Aladin and wigs. 'Nuf said.

Musically, (besides the homogenous guitar licks), she has put out enough great songs this decade to keep me interested. I just think her stylist and make up and hair person need to be put out to pasture.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I think the wasted opportunities thread is chock full of things that irritate me.

I think what bugs me most is that she doesn't seem to be self-aware, which is extra odd considering how self-conscious she is. Whether it's bad advice she's taking or if she's letting other people make the decisions, she keeps making things worse (sales, concert attendance, credibility, quality albums). There were some good decisions (Legs & Boots), but then they're balanced out by visualettes instead of tour dvd and NO official releases of the 2009 at all. I think AATS was a good step forward and MWG even more so, but they both have issues, the most glaring to me is the MWG cover. What in the hell were they thinking? What bugs me most is that we spend so much time saying "WHY?" when years ago we were more "Who is a professional widow? What does she mean by these lyrics? When did she write SATY? Where was FTCH recorded?" Now we just say "Why that album cover? Why is that song on the album? Why is that song NOT on the album? Why did she do that to her face? Why is she wearing that orange wig?"

Great, yet another thread about Fori.....yawn.

My main complaint about Fori is that a lot of the subtlety and nuance has gone out of her work- nowadays, we're more likely to get something dumbed down and neutered. Fori doesn't write songs like Black Swan or Father Lucifer or Cooling, she writes songs like Ophelia and Sleeps With Butterflies. To me, Fori is the uninspired and inauthentic version of Tori who just puts shit out there, and wraps it up in a blanket of fake fierceness or fake quirkiness in an attempt to pass it off as ~Tori Amos, Teh Goddess, but can't seem to disguise the very real lack of quality songcraft/ lyricism evident in much of her current work. A lot of her images and artwork are really uninspired as well, and leave me wondering how a woman who's supposedly so into haute couture and visual art can embrace such a cheesy and inelegant aesthetic. I mean, the MWG cover? I still haven't gotten over that.
    Last edited by Yuki; 10-30-2010 at 12:38 AM.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    I mean, when you're 20 you have a lot to say about sex and religion and power and politics and violence. You have all your life to live, and there are things that you don't like and you want to change. Then you grow up, you find a partner, and all the energy that you used to focus on changing the world is now focused in taking care of your children.
    There are lots of people in their forties, fifties, sixties, and older who have plenty to say about sex, religion, power, politics, and violence. And they say it with clarity, sincerity, grace, and a bit of wisdom gained from having more life experiences than when they were 20. Tori Amos is not one of those people. And she doesn't get a free pass from me because she "grew up", found Husband, and had a kid.