Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Country, Bluegrass and related

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Randy Travis. My mom loved this man and I love this song.
    I sung "im gonna love you forever and ever amen" with my dad at one of those recording booths at the mall. Thats one of my only memories of him.

I think Randy Travis's house was forclosed on recently in Maui.

FUN FACTS
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    Trisha Yearwood blows all the other country slags out of the water. Her voice is magnificent.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Trisha has some decent stuff and some terrible stuff. But The Song Remembers When is probably my favorite country song of the 90s.

A friend put this song on a mixed tape for me back in the day. She was not a country music fan. I loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    A friend put this song on a mixed tape for me back in the day. She was not a country music fan. I loved it!
    I enjoy this era of mainstream country. Trisha Yearwood, Faith Hill, Lorrie Morgan, Suzy Bogus, Martina McBride, and even early Shania were just carefree and fun without being completely ridiculous. It was the mid 2000s to now where for some reason, most of the mainstream country stars decided that redneck and trailer trash should be exploited even further. I'm all for a little southern sass when used in moderation, but having hit singles like "Red Neck Woman" or "Courtesy of the Red White & Blue" is just embarrassing for a genre that, as some have mentioned, was pretty fantastic a few decades ago.

These days, I turn to more folk-country, like Patty Griffin and Over The Rhine. Neko Case is also the first person to tell you she's country, and none of that "Alt-country" bullshit. And I adore the Dixie Chicks.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    If there's anything that's worse than '90s country... it's 2000's country.

Gretchen Wilson. DIAF.

I looooove Queen Of My Double Wide Trailer. It might have been the first song I heard on country radio.

I also couldn't get enough of Diamond Rio (Meet In The Middle), Pam Tillis (Maybe It Was Memphis) and Blackhawk... does anyone else even know who Blackhawk is? I was alllll about the country in the 90's.

And I still love Garth and wish his brat kids would go to college already.
    Last edited by Nick; 01-05-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Truth, Jim. "Redneck Woman" has the ability to make me want to go on a killing spree.

Also. since we're on the cuntry music topic, I think the Dixie Chicks are brilliant. Great songs, great playing. And I love the fact that they're one of the few liberal minded groups in an overwhelmingly conservative genre. As a kid, my family used to see them play at Poor David's Pub in Dallas quite frequently (mostly before Natalie joined). They were very sweet, fun-loving girls with a dedication to roots music. They really don't seem to have changed much. I'd love to get a new album from them this year.

Liberal Country Songs. If you look in comments, it gets all sorts of contentious. Honestly, prior to Reagan, economic liberalism wasn't "bad" in country music.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    What an awesome list!! "America" by Waylon Jennings also promotes welfare for Native Americans. And I fucking love Loretta Lynn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    And I fucking love Loretta Lynn.
    Same here. Finally saw The Coal Miner's Daughter and was fantastic. Made me appreciate her contributions and her career so much more than I already did.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Nice to read a little Loretta . I saw her perform many years ago with her sister Crystal Gayle at the Grand Ole Opry and it was just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    What an awesome list!! "America" by Waylon Jennings also promotes welfare for Native Americans. And I fucking love Loretta Lynn.
    They also have Ray Wylie Hubbard, another fave of mine, who wrote Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother.

Here's the story behind the song:

When I saw Loretta @ Billy Bob's in Fort Worth (AKA "The World's Premiere Honky Tonk"), it was a 50/50 mix of elderly cowpokes, dressed to the nines in denim, and under-30 hipsters in skinny jeans who adored Van Lear Rose. She fucking KILLED IT. And that quincenera dress with the poofiest sleeves in creation was a marvel.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    (I think you guys need to make a country music thread for yourselves at this stage...)