Page 104 of 108 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 1614

Thread: The All-Inclusive Amanda Palmer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    She’s actually said singles like The Ride and The Thing About Things will be on this album.
    They are new recordings, however, which is something different than recording and releasing, say, "Good Day" from the self-titled EP and then slapping it on the full-length later. Though it was in the day of labels (for her), the Dolls did this a lot both with official live recordings and demos (aforementioned Dolls EP, most of both Virginias as officially hosted recordings, etc).
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

Amanda announced her new album, There Will Be No Intermission, and a big solo piano tour today as well as the album version of "Drowning in the Sound": https://pitchfork.com/news/amanda-pa...s-song-listen/

very excited for this as I was/am a HUGE fan of Theatre Is Evil..this album is produced by John Congleton again.

I didn't spend much time listening to the demo last year, but I really like the finished version

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Amanda announced her new album, There Will Be No Intermission, and a big solo piano tour today as well as the album version of "Drowning in the Sound": https://pitchfork.com/news/amanda-pa...s-song-listen/

very excited for this as I was/am a HUGE fan of Theatre Is Evil..this album is produced by John Congleton again.
    His production work really manages to build a space that makes Amanda's vocals seem to fit.

The fuller arrangement gives some more coherent shape to the overall structure of the song itself. Amanda's songwriting can sometimes tend to the meandering when it's in demo form, but it needs the full realisation to properly reveal itself, which I'm sure is what's in her head as she's demoing, but needs someone to help manifest it in studio.

^ i agree! they're a great team. i'm sure others know this too but John Congleton also produced St. Vincent's albums from Actor through the self-titled.

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    That was fucking beautiful.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I wonder what the title means? I mean, for her. It's a great title especially following Theatre is Evil. But maybe it's because everything has just been full on since then?
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I'm so excited! Sounds great. Loving the visuals and the new announcement video.

And the lyrics.. this section really unnerves me:

and now i can taste it coming
    i can taste it with my tongue
    and my children are so heavy
    but i pick them up and run
    and i know i’ll have to swim soon
    when the water gets too high
    i’ll keep on holding them above me
    i’ll keep on holding them and crying
    Last edited by Volta; 12-14-2018 at 01:49 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    I wonder what the title means? I mean, for her. It's a great title especially following Theatre is Evil. But maybe it's because everything has just been full on since then?
    Amanda wrote a blog post a few months ago about her experience seeing Bruce Springsteen on Broadway and how it's influenced the way she's thinking about this next tour, and she mentioned the title and the thinking behind it. It's a really good read and made me excited for the album, tour, and actually checking out the recording of that Bruce show that is coming Netflix (despite not knowing much of his music besides the big songs).

10 THINGS I LEARNED FROM SEEING BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN ON BROADWAY
    http://blog.amandapalmer.net/10-thin...teen-broadway/

it's a long post worth reading, but this is a relevant part where she mentions the title. overall though, the gist is that she wants this tour to be solo and have way more preparation/rehearsal/discipline than she has had in the past.

tten things that bruce’s show taught me/reminded me:

1. for true storytelling: less people on stage is more.

2. don’t forget to tell the audience that it’s totally possible you’re making everything up. you get paid to lie for a living. just remind everybody.

3. choose a room where you can go off mic. people forget you’re real when you’re constantly amplified. speak with your voice, and remind people you’re real.

4. not every song needs an introduction/story. let the audience work. also, you don’t have to play songs start to finish. interrupting yourself can be powerful.

5. LIGHTS SHOULD ILLUMINATE INVISIBLY. the lighting was so so so so good, and i bet nobody outside the live-theater-arts-dorks like me were paying much attention. so subtle. so awesome. and so un-noticable.

6. good instrument sound = IS = EVERYTHING. that guitar blew our heads off. me and steven turned to each other and said “is there a hidden bass player back stage?” – that’s how good the guitar sound was. get an excellent crew and spend weeks soundchecking and making sure you’re using the best mics possible.

7. there will be no intermission. fuck it. start, middle, end. life has no intermission. make your show like life. i think i’m gonna call my fucking album THERE WILL BE NO INTERMISSION. dead serious.

8. you don’t need to warm up the audience. they came ready to feel. 8:32pm, bitches. 8:32pm.

9. when it’s time to sing along, tell people. (bonus points: take your hit and fuck it up so nobody dares to sing along. classy.)

10. when in doubt, talk about your parents. everybody can relate.
    Last edited by MikeEP; 12-14-2018 at 01:25 PM.

The new material has been really great so far. I mean, "The Ride" is about 10 minutes long and it really doesn't feel it. Beautiful song https://www.npr.org/sections/allsong...udos-band-more

And then "Voicemail for Jill" is a really beautiful piece of work too.

I've a really good feeling about this new record judging from the three or four pieces we've heard so far.

^ I feel the same, @ebby. I actually just joined the Patreon in anticipation. All side projects aside (no pun intended) both Who Killed AP and Theatre Is Evil are excellent and it seems like she takes the proper albums very seriously and she sounds very proud of this album.

I enjoy reading her blog posts on Patreon..well lately she’s actually been posting voice posts which are interesting to hear as she preps for the solo tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    WOW. It's the song you never knew you needed. I think it's so easy to think that everything has been done and all the innovative shit is just shit being repeated in 2019. Not so. You, Go, Amanda!
    Incredible way she ended the song, too.
    This new album is going to blow people's minds.. those who hear it all for the first time.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I think the Voicemail song is really good. My only gripe is that we've heard pretty much every song on the album now. So while I'm excited for the production choices on the final versions, it doesn't feel as special as getting a 'brand new' record. It's almost like a mixtape of her 'thing' songs.