Page 102 of 105 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1567

Thread: The All-Inclusive Amanda Palmer Thread

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    The new album is real bad.

It's definitely not my cup of tea.

She did a Patreon webcast on Friday, where she was skeptical of the allegations against Ben from PWR BTTM, and compared the internet backlash to the responses to Evelyn Evelyn, the musician issue in 2012, and her Boston bomber poem. This was before the one person's story was posted to Jezebel, so I hope she clarifies how she feels about it now.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    OH some of the songs it's like she is purposely using her voice to hurt my ears.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

It reminds me of the terrible 'sound poems' my classmates in art school used to make. Pretty disappointed in this release.

Amanda's pretty awful generally at addressing sexual assault allegations towards famous figures. Let's not forget her "I don't think Jian Ghomeshi raped anyone, also sexual assault is serious so you should buy my book" plug back in the day. She's a natural contrarian who says things before she thinks them fully through, I think, but doesn't get that there's nothing more status quo than believing people are overreacting to rape allegations.

Anyway, the new album is...not good. A lot of the songs sound like the sort of band that kids on the internet listened to before they found new Dresden Dolls content. Like, Myspace gothy bands trying to find their footing in 2004. And I've yet to hear a lyric on it that had any impact at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    Amanda's pretty awful generally at addressing sexual assault allegations towards famous figures. Let's not forget her "I don't think Jian Ghomeshi raped anyone, also sexual assault is serious so you should buy my book" plug back in the day. She's a natural contrarian who says things before she thinks them fully through, I think, but doesn't get that there's nothing more status quo than believing people are overreacting to rape allegations.
    Yes. I thought of the Jian Ghomeshi thing right away when I read about her recent comments. She really doesn't have a great track record with this topic.

The new album is also not for me. I'd read some reviews that called it creepy and was excited for it based on that! It isn't, though. I was very bored with it.

"The Shock of Kontakt" is okay. The rest...really awful.

What has she said about the PWR BTTM situation? I can't find anything.

What a pointless turd of an album. Seriously, this woman needs to get over herself. And I'm saying this as someone who adores WKAP and a good chunk of Theatre Is Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    What a pointless turd of an album. Seriously, this woman needs to get over herself.
    I don't begrudge her taking the opportunity to collaborate with one of her musical heroes, but the end result is not for me.

Her side projects are always self-indulgent artsy farts. When she puts her mind to it she can still write amazing songs, like Machete last year.
    Who Killed Amanda Palmer and Theatre Is Evil are amazing albums. It's quite hard to understand how the same artist who made those records can put out stuff like Evelyn Evelyn, I Can Spin a Rainbow, Sketches For the Musical JIB etc. It's like there's no quality control at all.

It's so weird comparing her actual creepy, atmospheric, moody songs (Will, The Gardener, Slide, Living Room, Strength Through Music, Thirty Whacks, Trout Heart Replica) with this...kiddie league "moody". There's such a stark and even alarming difference in quality.

I wish you guys would reply in her patreon posts. I feel like I'm pushing up against a tide of shitty 'Everything Amanda does is Awesome'.

You couldn't pay me to join her Patreon lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLab View Post
    I wish you guys would reply in her patreon posts. I feel like I'm pushing up against a tide of shitty 'Everything Amanda does is Awesome'.
    Plenty of us in the Patreon FB group have voiced our feelings. I've spoken to plenty of people in the group privately, and they all don't care for it either...