Page 102 of 104 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1560

Thread: The All-Inclusive Amanda Palmer Thread

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    My main beef with this awful record is that she promoted it as the follow-up to Theatre is Evil and WKAP instead of a side project. I would not have bought it had I known going in that it was a side project, since her side projects haven't impressed me ever.

Yes. She kept talking about it as the new proper album etc. I don't think the Patreon is only full of people who lap her shit up, but the more critical people tend to not bother posting on the page. It'd be nice if they were more vocal so Amanda wasn't stuck in this echo chamber. That's all.

Do we know when the solo piano TIE is coming?
    My face screams without an emotion

Checking her wiki bio. She has done two solo albums and ten "side projects" (I'm counting here the thing about Australia and the Radiohead Goes Ukulele crap). TEN.
    Last edited by waitressboy; 05-21-2017 at 01:28 PM.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyLab View Post
    Yes. She kept talking about it as the new proper album etc. I don't think the Patreon is only full of people who lap her shit up, but the more critical people tend to not bother posting on the page. It'd be nice if they were more vocal so Amanda wasn't stuck in this echo chamber. That's all.
    She is in an echo chamber!
    Miss Vanjieeee. Miss Vanjiee. ..Miss Van..

I am pissed at my past-self because she bought a ticket to the Rough Trade show tonight, and present-self felt obligated to go. The songs either suck or aren't my cup of tea (I'm not interested in listening to them closely to figure which!) It was Amanda, Edward and violinist Patrick Q Wright, the latter making the evening for me. When there was a boring electronic/key background with tuneless sprechgesang and dodgy lyrics, Patrick was always playing something pretty. Yay Patrick!

It was a bit self-important and arty at the beginning with dramatic stage gestures etc, but fortunately the sound cut out and there were goofy conversations about phantom sound and it felt friendlier. It's hard to be annoyed at Edward Ka-spel for being arty when he's a genial pottering hobbit. My nastier side thinks he's like a precocious child who hasn't been told that those lyrics aren't funny or clever now that he's a grown-up. They wrote much of each others lyrics so it's hard to proportion blame for the many clunkers, but maybe it's a case of the pair being less than the sum of their parts.

It's a pity they didn't write melodic lines for Amanda to sing, twine around Edward, rather than having her speak/sing in a detached tone like him.

The uber horror story song and intro worked for me. Some songs made me feel second-hand embarrassment, though they weren't feeling first-hand embarrassment. 'Mrs O' and 'Machete' were fine. Closer 'Half Jack' was made awesome by Patrick, and made less awesome by Edward, though I enjoyed him enthusiastically shouting "see" "Jack" "run" in the wrong places.

I actually had a ticket to that show, but once I saw the setlist and the videos online, I decided to pass, since Half-Jack with violin was the only thing that really interested me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    I actually had a ticket to that show, but once I saw the setlist and the videos online, I decided to pass, since Half-Jack with violin was the only thing that really interested me.
    That might explain why it was officially sold out but pretty spacious inside. Rough Trade decided to sell tickets at the door but that didn't fill things up.

It's one of the few Palmer songs I actually like. Glad it got a video.

Theater is Evil is now officially out. I'm listening on Spotify...i LOVE the original album, but I'm not sure most of these piano versions work, especially since both the piano and singing are VERY rough. i admittedly haven't listened to the whole thing yet so I should reserve judgment but the ones I've heard so far didn't make me want to keep listening.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    I'm still sour over I Can Fuck Up a Rainbow. So pissed that that was marketed as the new Amanda Palmer album when it's another half-baked self-indulgent collab full of demos.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    Theater is Evil is now officially out. I'm listening on Spotify...i LOVE the original album, but I'm not sure most of these piano versions work, especially since both the piano and singing are VERY rough. i admittedly haven't listened to the whole thing yet so I should reserve judgment but the ones I've heard so far didn't make me want to keep listening.
    Gosh, it feels like so long ago when we were all going through the TisE release. I think that period of time was my favorite being an AFP fan. Just was a very interactive time, she broke the Kickstarter record.. she was always doing something live and the work was great. Will always have great memories associated with that album release.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    They've changed the mix up. Some things have had the volume turned up and other sounds are muffled and less brassy. This is one of my favorite tracks off the record, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Gosh, it feels like so long ago when we were all going through the TisE release. I think that period of time was my favorite being an AFP fan. Just was a very interactive time, she broke the Kickstarter record.. she was always doing something live and the work was great. Will always have great memories associated with that album release.
    Same.

And everything that she's done since then has been completely terrible. (Well, there was a one off song, Machete, that was ok). I guess I understand her impulse to go back to TisE since it was so successful artistically and financially (I assume?) but geez Amanda. It's been way too long since you've done something vital or fantastic.