Page 2 of 105 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The All-Inclusive Amanda Palmer Thread

going into the studio for the day in chicago to record the steel train cover reminds me that i’m actually good at making music when i sit down and do it. i don’t do it much anymore, i’m too busy fucking running around.
    Exactly. Please stop running amok and doing random shit; write awesome songs, record them, and then melt our faces off with them live. That's what a lot of us are here for, and that's all a lot of us (well, at least me) want from you/are interested in.

i want to finish writing a few years worth of unfinished songs this fall.
    PRAISE BE TO THE BABY J.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    Please stop running amok and doing random shit; write awesome songs, record them, and then melt our faces off with them live. That's what a lot of us are here for, and that's all a lot of us (well, at least me) want from you/are interested in.
    Oldie but a goodie: She's not your bitch. Do we really have such a short attention span that she can put out an awesome album and tour (WKAP), workshop and appear in an original high school play, rehearse and perform with the Boston Pops, get engaged, record, release and tour a unique (if not well-loved) concept album, set up ad hoc meet-ups with fans, attend the Golden Globes, record and mix a handful of Radiohead songs, Twitter, Blog and webcast IT ALL and we still aren't satisfied? Let the woman do her thing!

Put a bird on it. SisterErnestine's Avatar
    ^Word.

edit: oh, never mind. I just love her music and I want her to make more of it. If not caring about her other projects means wanting her to be our "bitch," well, then, guilty. Consider my wrist slapped.
    Last edited by The Markness; 06-29-2010 at 04:39 AM.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

re: her not being anybody's bitch, she did point out herself that she gets too distracted, so I don't feel like that's where Markness was coming from. I get it. Every song I've heard from her that is as yet unrecorded is more brilliant than anything she's released (Trout Heart Replica, Bed Song) and I am anxious for her to record them in her current incarnation. One never knows how marriage and romantic contentment will alter an artist's output (I'm looking at you, HARDCORE, Ms. Amos-Hawley!) and I would selfishly hate for her not to address all of her creative energy. I don't think it's about her being someone's bitch, but more about her fulfilling her own potential destiny as a songwriter and performer. If she craps out on the steam she has building, the music world, and most likely her, would have lost out. And I say all of that with Tori in mind, as I think that she had way more to give and then she changed.

Don't get me wrong, I am totally on the S.S. Anxious-for-New-Music. AFP is much different from Tori, however, in that she readily admits that she is not a musician first - music was her foray into being an artist and personality (like it or not). Her creative energy and potential destiny lies in non-music related endeavors also. She shares A FUCK TON of herself and if all you care for is the music then you're going to have to wait for her to be ready and available to make it.

On somewhat of a side note, AFP has said that she feels more able to delve into the dark, scary places when she is in a loving relationship - that's promising news!

Amanda mentioned that something is going to be happening this year on Halloween. Also, Pollstar is listing The Dresden Dolls as playing NYC on July 31st, which just might be a typo for October 31st...we shall see.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    If anyone lives in Boston/Cambridge, Amanda's going to be here at the American Repertory Theatre giving a talk / playing a few songs tomorrow at 4:00 PM. The address is 64 Brattle Street, Cambridge (Harvard Square). It's free and open to the public. She'll be here for a little over an hour.

Looks like the July 31st listing was a mistake, but it's still possible that it was a typo and that they're reuniting for a Halloween show...

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    just got back from the ninja gig in boston (which was conveniently located around the corner from my office)..she played a couple songs on ukelele (Fake Plastic Trees and Makin' Whoopie), answered a bunch of questions, and then practiced a short talk she recorded to submit to do as a TED talk. it was basically about the shift in the music industry in the last few years and how artists and fans have to embrace a new sort of relationship, similar to a street performer (using her years as a living statue as an example) where it's OK for artists to ask fans for money as part of that connection because it's now that much more direct without a label involved, in her case.

also, in response to a question about whether she'll record Trout Heart Replica (she said yes), she also talked about how she's not exactly sure how she'll release music in the future but that she has a "pile of great songs no one has heard yet..like no one" that she's anxious to record and get out there, she just wants to do it right. she did say she plans to do some shows while she's home for Cabaret this fall and that she'll probably test out some of that material then. So that's exciting.

she talked about choosing songs for the Radiohead covers project, and how she basically just listened to all of their albums one afternoon and picked the ones with lyrics she loved and the easiest chords. she said ones she considered doing but dropped were Pyramid Song, House of Cards, and Anyone Can Play Guitar.

after the show, she was selling a bunch of old Dresden Dolls merch she said she randomly found recently and signing it but there was a pretty big crowd so i didn't bother sticking around.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    There is still a big crowd. Party's going strong out in the lobby. She just took off her shirt for some reason and there was lots of cheering. (Surprise surprise! )

(I work here and my office is right across the hall from the lobby.)

Anyway, I don't think I've said this in this thread yet, but Cabaret tickets go on sale August 3. Huzzah.

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    ^ yeah i walked by again as i was leaving work some time after 6 and saw a big group still in the lobby. pretty sure she took off her shirt to put on the "double rainbow" t-shirt some fans made for her. she posted pictures of it on twitter.

i'm definitely planning on checking out Cabaret, seems like it could be cool. Oberon is a great space. i went to the gay night Mr. Goodbar they had there recently and had a great time.

Opinions on Uke-head?

I'm not totally enamored with the idea of this album. It's alright. I didn't mind throwing $5 Amanda's way for it. But I want real material. I do like her Fake Plastic Trees, but I already knew this.

I've downloaded it, but have yet to listen to it. It was only a dollar, so I figure even if I don't like it, not much to lose.

I'm still on the fence about her new covers album... I'm not a big Radiohead fan, so this wasn't something that I was overly excited about. Though, I suppose as a fan, I should make the investment...