Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Agatha Christie!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

Agatha Christie!

A thread for all things Agatha Christie - books, plays, film and TV adaptations etc.

I love Agatha Christie. The first one I read was this one, and it gave me the bug

I could mention any number of favourites after that. I don't have too much knowledge of her non-Poirot and Miss Marple books though.

If we're talking TV and film adaptations, my favourite Poirot is David Suchet and my favourite Miss Marple is Joan Hickson (Agatha Christie herself saw Joan in a play in the '50s and told her that she must play Miss Marple when older.) The new ITV adaptations are alright, but take massive liberties with the original stories and they're not a patch on the BBC series.

The last new Poirot I saw was Halloween Party just last week, and very good it was too.

So, what are people's favourites and general thoughts on Agatha Christie?

The Suchet Murder on the Orient Express is finally coming to UK screens on Christmas Day!

I am now reading Hercule Poirot's Christmas.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    The Suchet Murder on the Orient Express is finally coming to UK screens on Christmas Day!
    Oh really! I just finished re-reading that this week. Excellent timing!

I'm excited! I recorded the programme about David Suchet on the Orient Express so will watch that too. Haven't read the book and don't know the plot so I'm looking forward to it

I watched that last night! Caught the last half of it only, but damn, they really showed off that train beautifully. Some really gorgeous shots of the scenery it passes through too. Definitely worth watching. My folks have decided that's what they want for their Ruby Wedding anniversary. LOL. It's €1,500 per person one way on that train journey though.

Sounds good. That would make a lovely present! But my goodness how expensive.

I know! Crazy prices. But at least we could split it between all 7 siblings, so it'd be almost affordable. It's a few years off yet too, so we might manage it. It'd definitely be a trip of a lifetime.

I need to get back into Christie. I've got a couple here I haven't read yet.

My favorite novel - and this is kind of a weird choice - is probably Sad Cypress. Favorite Poirot would probably be Cards on the Table.

As I mentioned here, I spent the last 11 months reading through all of her books and plays. It was a real treat and it never got boring.

In general, I liked the Miss Marples and the Poirots the best. (As I'm sure most do?) I found myself disappointed at a few of the mid-career books where Poirot and Marple only made brief, late-story appearances. Miss Marple reminded me of my grandmother in a way, and I always pictured her while I was reading them. And I loved the order and logic of Poirot, and his dandiness, even if Agatha grew to resent him.

I liked the characters of Tommy & Tuppence though their stories (espionage) didn't appeal to me as much.

I thought that Ariadne Oliver was a brilliant character and I loved how Agatha used her to express her own feelings about writing. And though I loved Hastings, I thought the Poirot books (from a narrative standpoint) were better off without him.

As for her plays - I think she did a great job of making them work on stage. She wasn't afraid to change details, sometimes drastically, to fit the form. She took Poirot completely out of all of her plays. I thought it was weird, but it worked very well.

Has anyone else read the books she wrote under the name Mary Westmacott? I was very impressed by them as well. They were romances (but not the Fabio/Harlequin variety) and I thought very well written. I'm reading a biography of her at the moment, and it's really interesting to hear just how autobiographical the novels are. It isn't a surprise that she wrote them under another name.

As for "Curtain":

Spoiler! Spoiler!

I think my favorite book was "The Hollow" for it's unabashed silliness. The eccentric and forgetful Lady Angkatell walking around the garden with a loaded gun in the egg basked really cracked me up. There was some really good characterization and the solution was pretty interesting.

^ Great post. Haven't read the Mary Westmacott ones but you've intrigued me. I really think I'm going to try and follow your lead and give the "reading them all" thing a go, though I dare say it will take me way longer than 11 months!

I've read a number of them and the ones I haven't I sort of know through the TV adaptations - of the Ariadne Oliver ones I've only read "Third Girl" but I thought Zoe Wanamaker was brilliant as Ariadne (they're the most recently-filmed ones.) I'm currently reading "Hercule Poirot's Christmas" and I almost forgot how enjoyable and easy to read her books are. And I'm avoiding your "Curtain" spoiler!

(Sorry to keep banging on about the TV adaptations but lately they seem intent on putting lesbians in them left, right, and centre for the sake of it. And don't get me started on what they did to "Nemesis.")

Here's another Christie junkie! There are about 5 books I haven't read and I seem to dawdle on it as it will be kind of sad to have read them all. I re-visit some books that I haven't read for years and I often notice that I don't remember the exact plot, which is nice. Some of my favourites:
    Why Didn't They Ask Evans, The ABC Murders, Death on The Nile, The Mysterious Affair at Styles, Five Little Pigs, A Pocket Full of Rye and Ordeal by Innocence.

Just watched the new Murder On The Orient Express and loved it. I haven't read the novel but a look on Wikipedia seems that they did change some elements? I imagine if I'd read the novel first I'd be a bit annoyed at the adaptation but since I haven't I was really impressed with everything. I had no idea what this novel was about - only that it was a murder on a train, and caught in a snowdrift - and was kept guessing right until the end. I thought it looked really great and was one of the most unsettling ones I've seen.

Colour me disappointed by the Orient Express adaptation. Soz like, but they changed a lot. They cut a character, changed another character's entire person, and changed the ending around considerably. The rest of it was great, but I wasn't happy with what they did with the Doctor, Miss Debenham, and how Poirot went about the reveal.

But other than that they told the rest of the story well. But Poirot's whole attitude to the situation at the end was changed completely! I disliked that.

Colour me disappointed by the Orient Express adaptation. Soz like, but they changed a lot. They cut a character, changed another character's entire person, and changed the ending around considerably. The rest of it was great, but I wasn't happy with what they did with the Doctor, Miss Debenham, and how Poirot went about the reveal.

But other than that they told the rest of the story well. But Poirot's whole attitude to the situation at the end was changed completely! I disliked that.

Yeah, I imagine if I'd read the book first I'd feel the same. After I've finished Hercule Poirot's Christmas I might just do that.