Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Agatha Christie!

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Do! Read it. It's really fantastic. The reveal is much slower and all the better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Colour me disappointed by the Orient Express adaptation. Soz like, but they changed a lot. They cut a character, changed another character's entire person, and changed the ending around considerably. The rest of it was great, but I wasn't happy with what they did with the Doctor, Miss Debenham, and how Poirot went about the reveal.

But other than that they told the rest of the story well. But Poirot's whole attitude to the situation at the end was changed completely! I disliked that.
    Not glad to hear that! They are usually quite loyal to the books. It will be aired here next week so I'll have to check it out. Just saw Clocks and it was pretty good and, as I recall, loyal to the original novel.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    They haven't shown The Clocks here yet, am looking forward to that one. I loved Halloween Party, that one was pretty creepy.

Just finished Hercule Poirot's Christmas. 'Twas very enjoyable.

Look what came!

^ Awesome! I've been hooked on the ITV adaptations of Miss Marple at the moment. Watched about 10 of them in total over the past few weeks.

They look very nice; think I'm going to read The Secret Adversary first, never read any Tommy and Tuppence before.

Are those Marple ones the new ones with Julia McKenzie or the Geraldine McEwan ones?

Both! The ones I've downloaded are a mix of the two. The more recent is Julia McKenzie, and the series started with Geraldine McEwan. Not sure which I prefer now. Initially I preferred McEwan, but I've kinda switched loyalties a little.

I think I'd like them more if I hadn't seen the Joan Hickson ones first; those ones are totally quaint and slow (The Body in the Library is like three hours long!) but I love them very much.

I read fifty pages of The Secret Adversary last night and think it's fantastic!

^ I have the Joan Hickson version of "a murder is announced" which clocks in at a similar time! Haven't watched it yet though.

They're very good but don't expect anything especially pacey. Also according to Wikipedia Agatha Christie saw Joan in a stage version of Appointment With Death in the '40s and either met her or wrote to her to say that she hoped one day she would play Miss Marple (I've also read a different report that they met when Joan played a character in Murder She Said in 1962, but either way Agatha said she'd make a good Marple) - she died in 1976 and the series didn't start until 1984 so she never saw her do it but I imagine she'd have been pleased with the portrayal.

A Murder Is Announced is one of my favourites. It has a young Samantha Bond in it, Ursula Howells is great as Lettie Blacklock, and Renee Asherson is wonderfully batty as Dora Bunner. (If you've seen The Others with Nicole Kidman in it, Renee plays the old medium lady at the end.) Oh and also I love the lesbian couple Murgatroyd and Hinchcliffe!

Spoiler if you don't know the story

Just finished:

A thoroughly enjoyable spy thriller (parody?) Hadn't read any Tommy and Tuppence before but loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    A Murder Is Announced is one of my favourites.
    spoiler from the book

Loved that book too.

As for Marple I really don't like Geraldine McEwan (that woman is far from sweet old lady) that much and I hate how they changed things so much for many of the movies, adding Marple to non-Marple stories, changing the identity of the murderer etc. The Hickson movies get very close to the original feel of the books.

Finished Hallowe'en Party and really quite liked it. Some of the dialogue at the end was somewhat unrealistic, and Agatha seems to have a thing about mental hospitals being full up and scared of lunatics roaming the streets, but I enjoyed it and got through it very quick.

I just re-read Third Girl and while very enjoyable I thought it was, in the very end, gimmicky and there was too much room given for chance.