Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Joanna stuff

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Random Joanna stuff

I don't think we have a general Joanna chit-chat thread, so here it is.

"Bridges and Balloons" is being used in the new T-Mobile/LG Optimus commercial. It was nice to hear a familiar voice on TV.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Mobile phone advert people love her!

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    Mobile phone advert people love her!

Uh, that's awesome. I remember that night in NYC very very well, and actually wrote a play that took place on that night! Very cool.

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    that's a rather beautiful commercial.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

That was the first time I ever heard her music so I'm quite thankful in a way for it!

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    that was such a sweet commercial, though I still dont know what "Orange" is, or does. Aside from being delicious?
    What a wonderful setting for a play, as well.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

It was pretty cool. We had the whole stage lit up with battery operated candles. My lighting designer was made of win.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I don't think we have a general Joanna chit-chat thread, so here it is.

"Bridges and Balloons" is being used in the new T-Mobile/LG Optimus commercial. It was nice to hear a familiar voice on TV.
    It is up now
    http://joannanewsom.mirocommunity.or...ile-phones-com

Came across a couple of quotes from other musicians on Joanna.

Owen Pallett

If something inspires people to hate it that much, is it not striking a certain chord in provoking such a reaction?

I dont necessarily agree with that. People can say they hate Joanna Newsom or they hate the Strokes but you cant say that Is This It or Ys is a bad record. Nobody can say that.

Some people do.

No. People cannot say that. How could you possibly? You could say those artists are overrated, or you could say, I dont like them. But you cant say those are bad records.

I like about half of Ys, but I certainly know people who hate it.

To be honest, two of the five songs on it do nothing for me and I dont think theyre very good. But its such an incredible achievement that somebody in 2005 was going to make a fully orchestral record to tape. Thats fucked up!

Why? Its hardly original. It might be bold

Because, in 2002, Jim ORourke was talking about how he wanted to make an orchestral record to tape and about how hell never be able to make it because it will cost him a million dollars. There was this tacit acknowledgment in the indie community that nobody can make orchestral records. I remember reading that interview and sending emails to Jims MySpace saying, Dude, I can make this happen for you: please give me a call! Give me ten grand and it will happen! There are tons of orchestral records out there, but for one to be so independent and willfully uncommercial, its amazing.
    Laura Veirs

Who do you consider a perfect songwriter?
    Laura Veirs
    : I dont know that I consider anyone a perfect songwriter. I love the songs of Leonard Cohen, Joanna Newsom, Joni Mitchellpeople who have that emotional delivery. Its such a gift.
    Rickie Lee Jones (Joanna's a RLJ fan so this makes me happy)

Among the current generation, Jones cites harp player and singer Joanna Newsom and singer Cat Power as musicians she likes. She added: "There are really new things going on too, honest, not tricks, no gimmicks, yet powerfully creative. But damned if i can think of any."
    They have good taste!

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    I love you, Owen, but...

To be honest, two of the five songs on it do nothing for me and I don’t think they’re very good.
    Which two songs are you talking about?!

I know! I found that strange.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    "Does nothing for me" and "not very good" are two very different things if you ask me, too. The entirety of Ys did nothing for me for the better part of a year, but I never once thought it wasn't any good. I just thought it wasn't clicking, and I was right, because then it did (in stages). So if he doesn't like/get two of them, I understand that, but to say they're not good is very bold.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stillorbiting View Post
    "Does nothing for me" and "not very good" are two very different things if you ask me, too. The entirety of Ys did nothing for me for the better part of a year, but I never once thought it wasn't any good. I just thought it wasn't clicking, and I was right, because then it did (in stages). So if he doesn't like/get two of them, I understand that, but to say they're not good is very bold.
    exactly. You took the words right out of my mouth.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

Yeah, that's just ridiculous.

So if he doesn't like/get two of them, I understand that, but to say they're not good is very bold.
    Especially since he's arguing that nobody can say that Ys is a bad album.
    When they're calling
    From the edge