Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Something Like A Charlotte Martin Thread

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

Smile Something Like A Charlotte Martin Thread

So CharMar is touring soon to promote a new album, Dancing on Needles. I don't think there is an official release date yet, but there are some tour dates out there.

You can hear a clip here. I'm not sure what I think about it, but I am so happy to have new stuff with lyrics.

Bought tickets to see her in January! Can't wait. She is truly amazing live, such a powerful voice!

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    i can't believe we didn't already have a charmar thread! thanks for starting this, Scarlet.

the clip is great. i really love the direction she's taken since Stromata (one of my favorite albums). consider me excited for Dancing on Needles!

and i agree with you, Jake. she's wonderful live. i saw her on the Chicks with Attitude tour years ago with The Cardigans and Liz Phair. Char was super sweet and hung out in the audience after her set. my girl Lynsy and i were standing next to her during The Cardigans set and she was super polite & gracious. we chatted for a while about Kate Bush & the Cocteau Twins. amazing artist, sweet lady.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

One of my favorite artists and I would even consider her a friend.
    I have seen her numerous times and one time she let me make her setlist for her! =)
    She had me a place to stay and front row tickets for her DVD taping all I needed was a plane ticket. Sadly, I could not get out of work.=(
    Super stoked for the new album and will hopefully be seeing her in Chicago.
    My face screams without an emotion

I like Charlotte a ton, and she's an excellent live performer, but the new song is going to have to grow on me, judging from that clip. It sounds very Stromata-esque in style, and the more electronic/layered tracks on that album had to grow on me for a while too though, so I'm still sure the new album will be great. I was hoping she'd move back to a more piano-based sound after the last piano-only tour, which was amazing, but I guess that's not in the cards.

My favorite recent Charlotte song is Galaxies, here's a great performance of it for KGRL:

And here's Stromata solo from the last time she played Joe's Pub:

I was at this show, and this performance in particular was so epic and unexpected that I was just stunned. The extended "dirty river" bit takes the song to a different level.
    Last edited by JHV; 11-10-2010 at 04:57 AM.

I think the new song sounds oddly dated, very 90's but not in a good way. I did like Stromata and Orphans.

looking for a little hope just owls's Avatar
    I can't wait to see her in Chicago. I've been waiting years and for some reason have always missed her shows. And I'm extra excited that the crowd will be one of the first to hear some of the new songs. Though I don't care much for the clip, I'm still optimistic about the album.

Does anyone know Char's usual policy on photography? The venue says they don't really have a policy and it's up to the artist. I'd love to bring my DSLR along and get some pictures.

She encourages it.
    She does not mind picture taking taking at all.
    My face screams without an emotion

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    She also has an open taping policy, very important for fans that can't make it to shows.

Um, I actually LOVE that clip! Excited for the new record.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Good to know. Thanks so much, Blake and halo!

SINGER-SONGWRITER CHARLOTTE MARTIN CHRONICLES YEAR-LONG BATTLE WITH NERVE DISORDER ON NEW ALBUM DANCING ON NEEDLES

ALBUM RELEASING FEBRUARY 1ST

Los Angeles, CA (November 10,2010) – Critically acclaimed singer-songwriter CHARLOTTE MARTIN has announced a February 1st release for highly anticipated new album DANCING ON NEEDLES.

Produced by Ken Andrews (Pete Yorn, Beck), the rapturous album traces Martin’s heartbreaking struggle with intercostal neuralgia, a nerve disorder that left her incapacitated for much of the past year.

“It was the most difficult period of my life,” she says. “The pain was excruciating. I saw countless doctors, was misdiagnosed countless times and prescribed countless medications. Nothing seemed to help and there were days when there was no light at the end of tunnel. Forget about not being able to work; getting out of bed was a major undertaking. Worst of all, I couldn’t nurse, or even lift, my baby. As a new mother, that was devastating.”

Unable to stand or sit at the piano for extended periods of time, Martin was forced to write and record the album in pieces over the course of a year. Despite the arduous process, she managed to craft a beautifully warm album of faith, hope and love. At times, DANCING ON NEEDLES feels like entries from a journal, with Martin staring down the darkness to come out the other side. Musically, each track is wrapped in gorgeous, swirling melodies and soft, dreamy textures.

And of all the gentle pleasures that unfold within the album’s grooves, the most remarkable are the perpetually enraptured vocals of Martin, an emotive singer whose ethereal voice alternately conveys feelings of love and fear, yearning and regret, and hope and longing. She shines on songs like “Volcano,” “Truth Cerium,” and “Starlight.”

As Martin makes the road to recovery, she’s announced a handful of pre-album release shows, during which she’ll be previewing select songs from DANCING ON NEEDLES. They include January 9th at Schubas Tavern in Chicago, January 16th at Joe’s Pub in New York City and The Bootleg Theatre in Los Angeles on January 29th.

Over the course of her career, Martin has recorded both major label and independent releases, performed sold-out shows to audiences around the world and shared stages with the likes of Liz Phair, Pete Yorn, Damien Rice, Jason Mraz, and many others. Her music has been licensed for a plethora of television shows, including “So You Think You Can Dance,” which regularly features her song “The Dance” during the show’s open. Details magazine called her “a seductive performer” and “a skilled lyricist who writes with surgical precision” and Performing Songwriter praised Martin as “a born storyteller and affecting vocalist.”

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=540541231

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Oh poor thing! I had no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Dancing on Needles.

You can hear a clip here.
    I dig it.

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut:

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeasLoveandHominy View Post
    Over the course of her career, Martin has recorded both major label and independent releases, performed sold-out shows to audiences around the world
    Ok, that's complete nonsense unless they're referencing any kind of performances she may have done abroad while studying opera at EIU. As far as I know she's never even played a show in Canada let alone outside of North America.