Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Something Like A Charlotte Martin Thread

Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Ok, that's complete nonsense unless they're referencing any kind of performances she may have done abroad while studying opera at EIU. As far as I know she's never even played a show in Canada let alone outside of North America.
    She's played 2 shows in Vancouver and at least one in Toronto if memory serves me right.

I've seen her in TO, I want to say twice, but at least once on the Chicks with Attitude tour.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Ah, good to know I hope she goes back. She's been promising people in the UK shows for years now, but she can't afford to get over there. I'm really perplexed as to why she isn't much more popular than she is.

I wonder how much her nerve disorder will affect her touring. Combined with the stress of taking care of a little kid, I can see that making it difficult for her to do a large-scale/extended tour, and she might be doing a lot more of these short runs of shows with more time off. If so, that's unfortunate because I think she really shines live in a way that sometimes gets lost in the studio.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I am now 6 months pregnant with a healthy baby girl. The other dream I didn't think would ever be possible with my condition. The pregnancy has made me healthier in a lot of ways. Needless to say, I'm going to be quite huge when I see you all at these shows. I'm trying to convince my OB to come to the LA show in case I go into labor. Ha! That is why there are only a few shows in January.... Oh and LA is the official CD release show!
    !!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/charlottemartin/blog/540943173

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    I've heard a lot of good things, but her discography seems to be very extensive! CharMar fans, where should I begin?

in an infinite regress just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Aww! I'm so happy for her.

Quote Originally Posted by stillorbiting View Post
    I've heard a lot of good things, but her discography seems to be very extensive! CharMar fans, where should I begin?
    I'd start with the Veins EP and Stromata. I started with Veins and In Parentheses. I might be alone, but I don't really care for On You Shore, so I wouldn't start with that. Those songs are much better in their live versions. If you can, try to find the audio from Something Like a DVD. I listen to that instead of the studio versions of most of those songs.

Also if you can find it, One Girl Army is worth a listen, if only for Silver Honey.
    Last edited by just owls; 11-27-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Something Like a Hero is the song that got me totally hooked, the On Your Shore version. I thought it was weird, but it really got stuck in my head and it grew on me.

I haven't listened to her a lot, but I do own On Your Shore and Stromata. Here are the songs that I became obsessed with:

Every Time It Rains
    Steel
    Up All Night
    Stromata

The first three are from On Your Shore.

On Your Shore always sounded to me like someone mixed the lyrics of LE-era Tori with the sound of Choirgirl-era Tori. I love it, but it can feel a bit derivative at points. The Veins EP and Stromata are when Charlotte starts to have more of her own identity as a musician for me. Charlotte is one of those musicians where the songs almost always sound better live though (only big exceptions are The Dance and her Obstacle 1 cover), so I would suggest going onto archive.org and downloading a few shows, especially the solo ones.

I'm very happy for Charlotte that she's pregnant again, and it's good to know that's the reason for the limited touring and not her nerve problems.

Can't wait for new Char Mar!

Here's Charlotte performing Volcano, one of the new tracks on Dancing On Needles, from the tour last year. I love the piano on this version, and hope it isn't too covered up by the layers and production on the studio version.

What is she saying in the beginning? They thought the other section that didn't make it onto the album was too what?

Was shitty.
    My face screams without an emotion

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Just a bit of curiousity... who do you find to be more attractive: Charlotte Martin or Joanna Newsom?