Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Something Like A Charlotte Martin Thread

Battle Cry isn't bad, but it didn't instantly grab me. Still very excited to get a new album from Charlotte though, Dancing on Needles and Hiding Places were both excellent.

As great as new album news is though, I'm much more excited about Char doing her first tour in 3 years!

1/17/14- Charleston, IL, Eastern Illinois University
    1/20/14- Chicago, IL, Schuba's Tavern (2 shows in 1 night)
    2/1/14- Philadelphia, PA World Cafe Live (2 shows in 1 night)
    2/2/14- NYC, Joe's Pub (2 shows in 1 night)
    2/22/14- Los Angeles, CA Hotel Cafe

Yeah, I liked it, but it wasn't very immediate. Sounds like the kind of song you have in the middle of a record, not as a promotional tool. Still looking forward to new music!
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Official poll for where she should tour.

I'm torn. I want her to come to my town, as I'd love to see her, but I'm crazy broke and couldn't afford to see her right now. It might be easier if she didn't come here this tour so I wouldn't feel bad that I missed it.

I stand no chance of growing up Tulip In A Cup's Avatar
    She is really superb live and so worth it. I saw her a few years back in Boise and there was 6 people total it was so sad but she was a trooper about it. I voted for Seattle of course since I moved here. I am SEMI contemplating flying to LA to see her but I am not sure. Depends on flight prices.

^ I voted for Seattle too I would love to see Charlotte live.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Official poll for where she should tour.

I'm torn. I want her to come to my town, as I'd love to see her, but I'm crazy broke and couldn't afford to see her right now. It might be easier if she didn't come here this tour so I wouldn't feel bad that I missed it.
    Wtf? Poll closed already, three days later. Fishy.

Sounds like DC won the poll as she just tweeted, "Do you want me, DC? Are you sure? A birdie tells me I might see you." #CharMarDC

I can't begrudge her the infrequent touring between family life and probably not having the means to go on long tours, but I perhaps unfairly feel like because her diehards follow her anywhere, it makes her less likely to go to areas she doesn't play as much, the supposed DC date notwithstanding. I know it's not any different than fans following any other artist, but I guess it feels more pronounced because she's not as popular. I'd love to see her but still can't manage the LA shows when they're the closest to me.

I got into Charlotte fairly late (2011) so I do prefer her later stuff but I have a place in my heart for pretty much everything she's done with maybe a little less affinity for Test-Drive Songs. Dancing on Needles and Veins are my favorites and what I consider to be the best representations of her sound, so if the upcoming album Battle Cry is on is anything like those, I'll be happy! I'm not sure how many around here have listened to the DNA album, but the Charlotte-centric tracks like Star Clusters and Synemy are some of my very favorites, and it's hard to get Touch out of my head too.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    ^It does seem like the clips from any of her touring stops on youtube have a pretty good amount of audience members. Lots of screaming and some of it being requests.
    I move with the trees in the breeze I know that time is elastic.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    I finallllly got the DNA kickstarter vinyl package in the mail the other day ago! The shirt's amazing - I've yet to test out the vinyl quality but it looks nice. I wasn't expecting a signed CD (all 6 members), and personalized/numbered as well. Really awesome bonus.

This will be Charlotte's 5th time (at least) playing that DC venue - it's just more of the same as far as I'm concerned. I'm not knocking her for not touring more; she clearly has a very busy family life, not to mention a highly prolific musical output. I can see how driving across the country in a van playing in random cities to crowds of 20 people isn't really a feasible thing. But it would be nice for her to not just do the same few cities every time she does go out on tour.

Quote Originally Posted by AndItFeltLike View Post
    ^It does seem like the clips from any of her touring stops on youtube have a pretty good amount of audience members. Lots of screaming and some of it being requests.
    I've noticed that too, and I didn't mean to imply that she only had a few fans and not many turned up to her shows, but that hers might be smaller in comparison to some others - no matter what, even just from observing in videos it seems like they make up for that in dedication and enthusiasm though. I'm also grateful that her fanbase records shows so everyone can benefit from it even if they weren't able to go. It is the next best thing, but I'm just gonna have to hold out until the stars finally align and I get to see her!

As an aside, as perfect as the placement and selection of her album tracks are, I find her b-sides and rarities to just about as strong most of the time like the Stromata EP b-sides, and I've been pretty hooked on most of the SLADVD bonus tracks too.

Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I can see how driving across the country in a van playing in random cities to crowds of 20 people isn't really a feasible thing. But it would be nice for her to not just do the same few cities every time she does go out on tour.
    Yeah, that's why I figure she hasn't come to northern California since 2007 (long before I got hooked on her, sadly!) and I can't blame her for not playing in areas that aren't guaranteed the turnout she gets in the locations she usually plays, but it doesn't stop me from longing for her to anyway, and since she does tour so infrequently it makes me feel like I'll have to wait a few years for her to finally come around a little closer to me.
    Last edited by monochrome; 11-09-2013 at 03:06 AM.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    ^Oh, and I didn't mean to imply that she has this massive fan base and every stop she'd sale enough tickets to make it worth her while.
    But if a group as large as Ivan and Alyosha, I mean.. a full band, lots of mouths to feed headlined a summer tour playing Venues that could only hold 100 people max - I saw them at a bar in Indy called Radio Radio.. they're were maybe 50 people total.. And Ivan.. had two opening acts.. I can't imagine they made a lot of money. But they did it. And I think you just have to commit to it if you want this career. And Charlotte can play all her songs solo - she's that talented. I know she'd have a crew but..
    I'm not one to sit on high horse and say this is what you should do (unless you're Neko Case) but Charlotte could probably do more cities, sell merch, and do better than breaking even.
    It's been such a long time since we've talkes about Charmar, but I know she had a nervous system issue - severe pain.. I don't know if it's chronic. You'd hate for it to flare up on tour, tho. So that might be a factor, as well. I think Dancing on Needles is a great metaphor for what she went through. Trying to be an artist while being in constant pain.
    I move with the trees in the breeze I know that time is elastic.

She use to tour all over back in the day when she was more popular and the New Orleans show had about 20 people there. I also saw two Texas dates two years later and one had about 5 people and the other around 15. I can see why she wouldn't want to tour all over again.
    My face screams without an emotion

I stand no chance of growing up Tulip In A Cup's Avatar
    First show is tonight. Sadly, not going, as I am about 2,500 miles away. Hoping the show pops up on archive.org. Apparently, she will be selling the album on this tour as well. Hoping that turns up in the next few days. Very excited.

I can't make it to any of the shows either. Hopefully the album is on sale sooner than later.