Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The All-Inclusive Joni Mitchell Thread

Banned

The All-Inclusive Joni Mitchell Thread

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/...ogyam-trungpa/

This is an interesting little tidbit that I tripped over recently. I'm not sure if it's a new interview or not. It's about the "spiritual master" Trungpa Rinpoche, and how he assisted Joni in breaking a drug habit:

RD: Did you ever have problems with drugs or addiction?

Mitchell: I did, briefly. I didn’t get involved for years, and then I went on Rolling Thunder and they asked me how I wanted to be paid, and I ran away to join the circus: Clowns used to get paid in wine – pay me in cocaine because everybody was strung out on cocaine. It was Chögyam Trungpa who snapped me out of it just before Easter in 1976. He asked me, “Do you believe in God?” I said, “Yes, here’s my god and here is my prayer,” and I took out the cocaine and took a hit in front of him. So I was very, very rude in the presence of a spiritual master.

RD: And he was able to…?

Mitchell: His nostrils began to flare like bellows, and he a rhythmic breathing. I remember thinking, What’s with his nose? It was almost hypnotic. They have a technique called emanating grace ways. I assume he went into a breathing technique and a meditation. I left his office and for three days I was in awakened state. The technique completely silenced that thing, the loud, little noisy radio station that stands between you and the great mind.

RD: And when you came out of that awakened state…?

Mitchell: The thing that brought me out of the state was my first “I” thought. For three days I had no sense of self, no self-consciousness; my mind was back in Eden, the mind before the Fall. It was simple-minded, blessedly simple-minded. And then the “I” came back, and the first thought I had was, Oh, my god. He enlightened me. Boom. Back to normal – or what we call normal but they call insanity.

RD: It was his breathing technique and he managed to pass it on to you. And when you came out of your three days, you were no longer cocaine?

Mitchell: Yes. Ten years later when I learned he was dying, I went back to thank him.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I think her cocaine habit must have got pretty intense in that period, but I believe it only lasted a few months. She said she wrote "Song for Sharon" when high on cocaine!

Here's a beautiful live version of "River," pre-Blue recording, in 1970

Banned
    ^How interesting, thanks for that.

Hey does anyone here collect Joni bootlegs or anything? I don't, but I want to find a solo piano version of the title track of "Dog Eat Dog." I know she has played it - because there's footage of her playing it in the Woman of Heart and Mind DVD bio. Does anyone know what that performance is from? Is it on another DVD in full? I don't have Refuge of the Roads or any of the other concert/biopic DVDs so I don't know what's on any of them.

Yes! I love the Woman Of Heart And Mind DVD and that solo piano "Dog Eat Dog" is tantalising. I *think* it's from her Farm Aid performance on September 22, 1985, but I'm not 100%. If she was wearing the outfit below then yes I think it's from Farm Aid. But I don't have that performance and it's definitely not on any other DVD. The Woman Of Heart And Mind has some amazing clips - like the 1974 tour!! - that aren't on DVD. I hope they rectify that. Refuge Of The Roads is nice, a nice document of the 1983 tour, but I want to have the 1974 tour on DVD as well.

Anyway here's the Farm Aid outfit. Haven't watched Woman Of Heart And Mind in a while but I seem to remember she did have a cap when they played the "Dog Eat Dog" clip

Have you heard the Hissing Of Summer Lawns demos? They're fantastic.

Banned
    That's too funny, I was going to describe the outfit but I didn't think I'd be able to. Er, shoulder pads, um, perm. So the "Dog Eat Dog" I'm looking for is defintitely from Farm Aid. Thanks so much - that helps a lot. I would love to have a piano version or guitar version of so much of the 80's work. There's a Dutch interview on YouTube where she performs "Number One" on guitar while sitting in a park and it's so amazing. I've come to appreciate the synthesizer work of those 80's albums to a degree but I'd still love to have folkier/acuostic versions of those songs.

Nope, haven't heard the Hissing demos. Her 70's post Court and Spark period (Hissing, Don Juan's, Hejira) is the era that I'm least knowledgable about. I know there great albums I just haven't dove into them full force yet.

Banned
    Meh, since this is new fancy forum, I might as well post the Dutch "Number One" -

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    Amelia is one of the greatest songs recorded by any artist ever!

Yesterday, while driving to and from Amsterdam, I played Hejira and Hissing.
    And it was great, as usual.
    That's all!
    post28!

NUHN, when you get the chance to give the mid-'70s ones a proper listen, I'm sure you won't be disappointed

I think everything she did from Blue to Hejira is five-star. A case could also be made for Don Juan's Reckless Daughter in that run as well. And her album covers! They're some of my favourite album artwork, esp. Hissing, Hejira, and Don Juan.

Here's "Coyote" played at The Band's Last Waltz in November 1976 in the week that Hejira came out

Banned

I'd never seen that - thanks for posting it.

Banned
    ^No problem. Here's another! There are so few Joni interviews on YouTube, but I found another one. Hopefully this is a sign that more and more will be posted... : )

Banned
    Part 2 was added. She's hilarious and wonderful! I love the voice she uses when she mocks people.

Does anyone have any songs they love from Dog Eat Dog? So far the only thing I can really get into is Stimulants. I really wanna penetrate this album properly before I leave it alone forever but damn....its production is so jarring.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLab View Post
    Does anyone have any songs they love from Dog Eat Dog? So far the only thing I can really get into is Stimulants. I really wanna penetrate this album properly before I leave it alone forever but damn....its production is so jarring.
    The only song I really come close to loving on that album is the title track...and I love Wild Things Run Fast so I'm not completely averse to 80s Joni. The songs just aren't that great and the production is unbelievably misguided on most of the album making it pretty unsalvageable IMO. That being said, I do prefer it to Chalk Mark!