Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The All-Inclusive Joni Mitchell Thread

Banned
    I like Good Friends, Stimulants, the title track, Shiny Toys, and I really like "Lucky Girl."

I try to hear Shiny Toys as a light-hearted folky song, married to like a 1950's Jan and Dean song or something? It's a stretch but when I heard it that way i liked it better. And I like the saxaphone? flourishes. And the (fake) hand clap sound.

And "Lucky Girl" I hear in the Fifties mode as well, with some jazzy flourishes. I also just like some of the lyrics - "as far as I can pitch my shoe" is an old-timey type phrase that fits the song.

Dog Eat Dog is a weird album because even though it's supposed to be "angry" and political, (which it is), it's got this off-kilter joyful spirit underneath? it. Over time I've come to appreciate that. It's an awkward marriage but somehow I've talked myself into appreciating it. Plus Joni has spoken about how the Eighties were sort of a retread of the Fifties style.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I actually quite love Dog Eat Dog. I think it is leagues better than Chalk Mark In A Rainstorm. "Snakes and Ladders" is one of my least favourite Joni songs. "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee finally met the perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect girrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrllllllllll". Her 'r's irritate me on that album no end.

Also, thanks for the videos NUHN! Enjoyed them.

Banned
    ^You're welcome!

Here's another bit from the series I added on the previous page. Joni discusses in great detail the story behind composing "The Magdalene Launderies," and then performs the song:

Also, here's an interesting "profile" of Joni from the Chalk Mark in a Rainstorm period:

She touches upon her knack for forward-seeing, the "divisonalism" that is "killing us", her relationship with Larry Klein, her nostalgia for Canada and her childhood, and the piece concludes with a snippet of an acoustic performance of "Number One," which is so great alone on guitar imo.

Had an idea for a game as I was listening to Cherokee Louise.

Favourite ten post-DJRD. Or twenty if you feel so inclined.
    Since DJRD seems like the real watershed moment for Joni in terms of maintaining popularity and musical coherence....imo.
    And YES, choosing old songs from Travelogue and S&L counts as cheating!

For me:

1. Sire Of Sorrow (Travelogue version JUST. It's a very close call for me.)
    2. Slouching Towards Bethlehem (LP Version)
    3. Night Of The Iguana
    4. Cherokee Louise
    5. Shine (this song brings me to tears. I am not sure why.)
    6. The Three Great Stimulants
    7. Night Ride Home
    8. Sex Kills
    9. Man On Mars
    10. Two Grey Rooms

Ooh I will definitely play!

1. Two Grey Rooms
    2. Chinese Cafe
    3. Sire of Sorrow
    4. Wild Things Run Fast
    5. Passion Play
    6. Sex Kills
    7. Be Cool
    8. Stay In Touch
    9. Moon At The Window
    10. This Place

That's a tough one! Definites would include:

Chinese Cafe
    Man from Mars
    Harlem in Havana
    My Secret Place
    Moon at the Window
    Be Cool

I'd have to think about the others. I'd definitely include something from Dog Eat Dog (a.k.a. Joni's Most Underrated Album!) and either One Week Last Summer or This Place from Shine.

Does anyone have Songs of a Prairie Girl?

Is the "Paprika Plains" on it much different? And how's the artwork?

As an audiophile, it blows the DJRD mix out of the water. The mix is warm and full (which really improves the vocals) , and the orchestra and piano are now in tune to each other. Oh and there is a line missing. One of the "I'm going outside to get some air" lines isn't there anymore, which irked me at first, but now I don't even notice it. I actually prefer it this way now.

The artwork is all outtakes from the Hejira photo sessions, which is pure awesome.

Thanks for that - I think you might have swayed me

In other news, some vintage unused songbooks for The Hissing Of Summer Lawns and Hejira have been found in a warehouse, untouched, and JoniMitchell.com are buying them and selling them to fans. If you're in the US you can get both for $15 including shipping, or add $6 shipping to Canada or $8 worldwide. I've placed an order for both which comes to a total of $23 for me (about £15) which I think is pretty good. Plus, it's a donation to help the upkeep of the site.

Here's the link for info. Apparently it's a very limited offer
    http://jonimitchell.com/songbooks.cfm

I listened to Blue earlier tonight, and I think side 2 of that record might be the best side 2 of any album ever. Just flawless. I didn't love This Flight Tonight for a long time, but it's clicked recently and is now one of my favorites along with the obvious choices like Case of You, River, All I Want, Carey, and California. I realize I listed over half the album there, but whatever, it's just that good.

I also bought Hejira on vinyl today, going to sit down and give that a nice focused listen in the next couple days. Another classic album.

Hejira is one of my all-time favorite albums. I have a copy of it on vinyl and I don't even have a record player. I found it in a music shop for $2 and I just couldn't leave it there.

Hejira on vinyl is delicious. Lovely gatefold sleeve, fantastic art direction, and it sounds great. I bought a used copy off eBay last year so I was semi-dubious but it was in wonderful condition and it played great; Jaco Pastorius' bass really jumps out.

I'm on the lookout for The Hissing Of Summer Lawns with its original embossed sleeve. Mid-'70s Joni really had it sussed with the artwork.

Icon15

Excellent live version of Amelia.

Just beautiful.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

^ Gorgeous. That's from Wembley '83, which I wish they would release. I know they already did a 1983 tour DVD, Refuge of the Roads, which is good (it has full band "Banquet"!!) but this Wembley show had solo "Carey" and "A Case of You," plus "Don't Interrupt the Sorrow" among others which I really want to hear/see.

EDIT Just found the set list. It's amazing!

Free Man in Paris
    Coyote
    Cotton Avenue
    Edith and the Kingpin
    You Turn Me On (I'm A Radio)
    You Dream Flat Tires
    Song for Sharon
    God Must Be a Boogie Man
    For Free
    Big Yellow Taxi
    A Case of You
    Carey