Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The All-Inclusive Joni Mitchell Thread

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyLab View Post
    Does anyone have any songs they love from Dog Eat Dog? So far the only thing I can really get into is Stimulants. I really wanna penetrate this album properly before I leave it alone forever but damn....its production is so jarring.
    Dog Eat Dog I like only slightly less than Chalk Mark. Stimulants, Smokin', the title track, and Ethiopia are all great. I can't bear to listen to Wild Things Run Fast.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I'm generally a big supporter of Dog Eat Dog. It's probably my favourite of her '80s records and, in my opinion, really underrated. She was trying something different for her and for the most part I think the songs are great and it works.

Chalk Mark In A Rainstorm is a different story. I don't like her voice on it, I find the lyrics preachy and annoying in parts, and "Dancin' Clown" is an atrocity. It does have its moments but it's down there at the bottom of my list of Joni favourites.

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyLab View Post
    Favourite ten post-DJRD. Or twenty if you feel so inclined.
    Since DJRD seems like the real watershed moment for Joni in terms of maintaining popularity and musical coherence....imo.
    And YES, choosing old songs from Travelogue and S&L counts as cheating!
    In no order:

01. Lakota
    02. The Beat of Black Wings
    03. The Three Great Stimulants
    04. Smokin' (Empty, Try Another)
    05. Ethiopia
    06. The Wolf That Lives in Lindsey
    07. The Dry Cleaner from des Moines
    08. Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
    09. Passion Play
    10. The Windfall
    11. Slouching Towards Bethlehem
    12. Two Grey Rooms
    13. Magdalene Laundries
    14. Yvette in English
    15. Sire of Sorrow

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    ^ Gorgeous. That's from Wembley '83, which I wish they would release. I know they already did a 1983 tour DVD, Refuge of the Roads, which is good (it has full band "Banquet"!!) but this Wembley show had solo "Carey" and "A Case of You," plus "Don't Interrupt the Sorrow" among others which I really want to hear/see.

EDIT Just found the set list. It's amazing!
    That is an amazing setlist! I definitely think that would make for a good DVD, and there's enough hits in the set that it would be commercially viable as well. Does Joni have a lot of live DVDs? I haven't really looked into that stuff, anything particularly excellent?

There are three dedicated live DVDs - Shadows and Light (1979), Refuge of the Roads (1983), and Painting with Words and Music (1998), although the very good Woman of Heart and Mind documentary (2003) also includes various snippets from TV shows and tours (including 1974).

I watched Refuge recently, it's nice, hour-long, and includes some home footage between songs. But it's a weird one because it was recorded right at the end of the tour in a studio without a live audience. It's heavy on Wild Things material but there are some interesting performances like a band "Banquet" and nice solo versions of "For Free" and "Woodstock." I haven't watched the others for ages. I'm going to do that. I remember Painting with Words and Music being very relaxed and informal. Joni plays that synthy guitar she used on Taming the Tiger throughout. It's got some good ones in the set - "Song for Sharon" and "Harry's House," for example, obviously done now with '98 Joni voice.

I'd love to have the Wembley show as well as a document of the 1974 tour on DVD - the Woman of Heart and Mind DVD has very tantalising snippets of live "Blue" and "Same Situation."

Here's a photo of Joni I had never seen until today, it was released as a Don Juan's Reckless Daughter promo photo in 1977. I've also included another just because I like it

^ Those are awesome!

^ I really like them too

Quote Originally Posted by NUHN View Post
    Meh, since this is new fancy forum, I might as well post the Dutch "Number One" -
    This is really, really good. Weird rhythm! Imagine her '80s records done solo. I'd love to hear more stripped-down versions.

Would it be too laborious to propose a ranking of Joni's albums? There's a lot of them. If not, maybe a Top 5/Top 10 list?

Fantastic photo's, Thanks for those!

Audio of "For Free," live Boston February 1976 complete with crazy heckler

Wow, that is a great story that fills in the rest of the "for free" story. It could ruin the romance of the song for some but, for me, it only adds to the sadness that permeates what she is singing about. I can't quite make out what heckler is screaming though. I wonder what she was on?

The music books for Hissing and Hejira arrived yesterday morning in great shape! Such an incredible find, and what a great fundraiser for the Joni site.

^ Ah, I'm glad Hopefully mine will arrive soon.

danrag, who used to post once in a while on @, posted that "For Free" audio and he has some very nice Joni rarities uploaded on YouTube too which are worth checking out. If that was Tori, you can bet we'd have got an expletive or three and a demand for the woman to be thrown out!

I'm considering getting the Rhino reissue of Court and Spark on vinyl at the moment. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    This is really, really good. Weird rhythm! Imagine her '80s records done solo. I'd love to hear more stripped-down versions.

Would it be too laborious to propose a ranking of Joni's albums? There's a lot of them. If not, maybe a Top 5/Top 10 list?
    The thing with Joni: she never wrote shitty songs. Yeah the production is dated (in some cases horrible) on her 80's stuff but the songs aren't bad at all. It kind of makes me hope for demo recordings someday. And like you mentioned, her rhythm and melodies are actually a lot more interesting/intricate on some of those records, which seems to fall by the wayside because they are jarring listens.

Hmm a top 5 for Joni is always hard but:
    The Hissing of Summer Lawns
    Blue
    Hejira
    For The Roses
    Court and Spark

There is actually one song that I think is pretty terrible, by anyone's standards: "Dancin' Clown". Do. Not. WANT! But I get what you mean. Look at all the songs and albums she released. A couple low points here and there hardly outweigh the brilliance that is the entirety of her career.

I love her80's output very much. Wild Things Run Fast is in my top 5, it's the closest she ever came to recreating the pop sensibilities of Court and Spark and, for me, they are like 70's/80's versions sides of the same coin.

Quote Originally Posted by hex object View Post
    The thing with Joni: she never wrote shitty songs. Yeah the production is dated (in some cases horrible) on her 80's stuff but the songs aren't bad at all. It kind of makes me hope for demo recordings someday. And like you mentioned, her rhythm and melodies are actually a lot more interesting/intricate on some of those records, which seems to fall by the wayside because they are jarring listens.
    I would love to hear some of Joni's demos or early/alternate versions of a lot of the songs. I bet she's got a wealth of amazing stuff locked away that we won't get to see until probably after her death, if ever.

My top 5 Joni albums:
    Blue
    Hejira
    Hissing of Summer Lawns (Funny enough, I grew to love this album much more after hearing the different covers of songs from it by people like Bjork and Tina Turner)
    Ladies of the Canyon
    Court and Spark

I just read Oryx and Crake so I thought I'd post this nice photo of Joni with Margaret Atwood in 2001

On the subject of stripped-down versions of the '80s stuff, I'd love to hear some. I know she did solo versions of some songs at live events and TV/radio ("Dog Eat Dog," "Impossible Dreamer," "Number One," "The Three Great Stimulants") and the Geffen box set has the demo of "Good Friends" but it would be nice to hear some more. I'm still holding out for reissues of the '70s albums with demos and live songs.

I don't think I can rank my top five Joni albums but in order of release they include:

Blue
    For the Roses
    Court and Spark
    The Hissing of Summer Lawns
    Hejira

With Don Juan's Reckless Daughter fighting for a space in the list too.