10. Chalk Mark in a Rainstorm
    11. Turbulent Indigo
    12. Clouds
    13. Song to a Seagull
    14. Taming the Tiger
    15. Shine
    16. Wild Things Run Fast

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Listening to For the Roses again now and remain perplexed as to why it's not generally considered among her very best albums. Seriously, some of her finest, most intricate and unusual songwriting, and her VOICE. It's outstanding.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Ooh, that reminds me:Top Five!

For The Roses
    The Hissing of Summer Lawns
    Court and Spark
    Turbulent Indigo
    Wild Things Run Fast

Although, my most listened to Joni album is Travelogue, with the orchestral versions of A Case of You and Both Sides Now thrown in for good measure.

I am baffled as to why it has gotten so overlooked, most people say it's because it was bookended by her two most "popular"/well known records but that's no excuse! For The Roses combines the best elements of what came before with Blue, and what was to come with Court and Spark.

^ For the Roses love!

I also like how enthusiastic you are about Wild Things Run Fast which I think is quite underrated too. As for Travelogue I haven't listened in ages but I am going to dive into it again soon. The packaging on that one is really gorgeous.

1. Blue
    2. For The Roses
    3. Hissing
    4. Hejira
    5. Don Juan

....very uninteresting I know.

Oh but all five are very, very good

emptytuileries, your list is interesting what with Mingus so high up. That's an album that doesn't seem to get a lot of love.

I listened to Travelogue today and enjoyed it a lot. Hadn't heard it in a long time so it sounded pretty fresh to my ears. I like the song choices as well - some less obvious ones like "Otis and Marlena," "Borderline," and "The Dawntreader."

Controversial statement alert!

I prefer most of the Travelogue versions over the original's.

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    Oh but all five are very, very good
    And I just still can't get over the fact that she released them all within six years. That blows my mind.

5 classics....and you could add Court and Spark to that list seamlessly to make 6. 6 in 6 years. That's nuts. It's a point worth repeating in my mind. Old Dylan couldn't even pull that off.

I know, right? From Blue to Hejira, her artistic growth and songwriting stands as one of the greatest achievements in modern music history. DJRD is pretty amazing as well, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by LaddyOwen View Post
    Controversial statement alert!

I prefer most of the Travelogue versions over the original's.
    Interesting! The entire album has an effortless elegance about it. I think I might just listen again tomorrow.

And agreed re Joni's creative peak in the '70s. I guess back then it wasn't as unusual as it is now to be putting out high quality records every year or so (Steely Dan stand out for me too in that regard) but Joni's output in those days is just phenomenal. Incredible quality and artistic growth in such a relatively short space of time.

Does anyone have a favourite Joni Mitchell cover? I really love Shawn Colvin/Mary Chapin Carpenter's live cover of "Amelia", Brad Mehldau's jazz piano version of "Don't Interrupt The Sorrow", Kd Lang's "Jericho" and Duncan Sheik's "Court and Spark". There are many more, actually, but I'll start with those.

I know Both Sides Now has been covered thousands of times, but it's been sort of a staple for me when I perform live. Apparently I have been clueless about just how well-received my version has been because I finally posted a recording of it on my music page and the response has been overwhelmingly positive. I love that Joni's music can speak to people, even through a cover, because the song itself is just perfectly written from the start.

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    kd lang's "Help Me" is my personal favorite joni cover.

also, (not really a "cover") joni's orchestral reworking of "Both Sides Now" completely trumps the original recording. even before emma thompson's emotional scene in Love, Actually, that version moved me to tears. still does.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

I love Tina Turner's version of Edith and the Kingpin from the Herbie Hancock album, and also Mandy Moore's version of Help Me (sue me!) from her covers album.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Does anyone have a favourite Joni Mitchell cover? I love that Joni's music can speak to people, even through a cover, because the song itself is just perfectly written from the start.
    I prefer Bjrk's take on The Boho Dance in all its simplicity and beauty.