Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1027

Thread: The All-Inclusive Joni Mitchell Thread

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Really enjoyed this

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar

Anyone picked this up? Saw it today in a store in town.
    Attached Images Attached Images

^That looks amazing and reminds me of those Kate Bush special editions that Uncut and MOJO have put out every now and then.

Update on my Joni Journey (because I am really thoroughly enjoyed getting to know her music well):

I am now fully in love with all of Court and Spark. Sometimes things just need the right moment to "click" and boy did this record click in a big way for me. Every song is so damn catchy and beautiful. People's Parties into The Same Situation is brilliant. Down to You is masterful and hits me so hard. It took me a bit longer to get into the last 4 songs, but I got there.

I'm in love with the Hissing of Summer Lawns as well. Edith and the Kingpin, Shades of Scarlett, Sweet Bird, and Boho Dance are all my favorites. Boho Dance is stunning and heartbreaking and I also love Bjorks version.

Hejira is what I'm working on now and it's beautiful and so spacious. I hear a lot of Laura Marling in this one, particularly Amelia.
    Last edited by Domandapiano; 05-20-2017 at 04:08 PM.

So much Joni appreciation these past few weeks:

Chords of Inquiry by Carl Wilson for Book Forum.
    The Unknowable Joni Mitchell by Jack Hamilton for the Atlantic.
    Joni Mitchell's Openhearted Heroism by Dan Chiasson for the New Yorker.

Long reads but worth your time.

That Yaffe book sounds like it's gonna be quite good. Will probably pick it up in time for Xmas.

Thanks for the articles, rubidoux. I'll add another:

SWINGING MODERN SOUNDS #82: JONI MITCHELL’S COURT AND SPARK: A SYMPOSIUM

‘The song “Court and Spark” still brings me to a complex web of feeling every time I listen to it. Joni’s brand of love song: lyrics about joy and love in a major turned minor key. Isn’t that how life is? And love, making us feel like we need help the moment we start to fall. She famously talked about being drawn to such musical constructions, which in her youth she understood as heresy. The church forbade complexity and ambiguity. They want happiness in major keys, evil cast in minor. There was no room for doubt. So Joni made her life’s work about doubt and ambivalence and how even the most romantic moment is simultaneously the most stricken (I’m hearing that first piano chord at the top of “Court and Spark”).’

Quote Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post

Shine - skip; it's not awful but nowhere near the greats.
    I think "Night of the Iguana" is one of the most stirring, elegant, and evocative things she's done in her most recent music.

Happy 74th Birthday, Joni! Thank you for some of the best music of all time!

This just popped up on my FB feed:

https://www.musiccenter.org/tickets/...enter/joni-75/

I really want to go. I hope she's doing well health-wise, i've had songs from Court & Spark in my head all day...may have to put some Joni on.
    Last edited by dAmION; 09-05-2018 at 10:29 PM.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    OMG that lineup is incredible. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let this get filmed!

Check out the program for Joni 75! It's fantastic!

https://issuu.com/themusiccenter1/do...lAs4W0puVD21C8

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Check out the program for Joni 75! It's fantastic!

https://issuu.com/themusiccenter1/do...lAs4W0puVD21C8

I was THERE last night!! It was amazing. The performances really blew me away. Seal's voice is amazing and he performed Both Sides Now and A Strange Boy. Diana Krall performed For The Roses and Amelia, her voice is really suited to Joni compositions. Norah Jones performed a STUNNING version of Court & Spark and Borderline. Chaka Khan gave a rousing rendition of Help Me and Two Grey Rooms. Los Lobos performed Dreamland (this may have been my favorite performance of the night, Chaka Khan performed backing vocals and it was much closer to the 1975 demo version than the Don Juan's Reckless Daughter version) and Nothing Can Be Done. Rufus Wainwright performed Blue and All I Want. Brandi Carlisle performed a simply touching version of Down To You that made some gasp from remembrance and she also helped Chris Kristopherson sing A Case of You. Glen Hansard performed The Boho Dance and another song I can't remember (edit: It was Coyote). James Taylor performed Woodstock and River. Emmylou Harris performed Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire and The Magdalene Laundries.

Altogether it was an amazing tribute and thankfully there wasn't an emcee trying to make jokes or be cute. Just amazing tributes from amazing artists.
    Last edited by dAmION; 11-08-2018 at 05:30 AM.

BTW Happy Birthday, Joni!

Oh my goodness, the lineup and setlist is PERFECTION. I am so excited that they are filming/recording the shows.