Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1858666768
Results 1,006 to 1,018 of 1018

Thread: The All-Inclusive Joni Mitchell Thread

Oh yes. Those synth stabs in the verses. Perfect. Tea Leaf Prophecy was another, perfect for the song.
    Last edited by Owen; 05-22-2017 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Song to a Seagull is probably my most-played Joni album. It is definitely in my Joni top 5. I hate that it doesn't get more praise.
    Not my top 5 because the orther prime stuff is just too good, but I do love it a lot and it's essential listening if you want to dive into her music.
    Yes, it's pretty much straight forward guitar folk and it might not always have aged well but the songwriting and lyrics are still solid.
    If Blue is Joni's Pele, this is her Little Earthquakes. And you don't dismiss Little Earhquakes, do you?

I had a King, Michael, Marcie, Sisotowbell lane, Cactus Tree: all good. So go listen.
    post28!

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
    Chalk Mark in a Rain Storm - skip.
    I like Chalk Mark. It eased me into the rest of her catalogue.
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

I unashamedly love "Dog Eat Dog"
    ~just an underwater thing~

Taming the Tiger is really nice too. Love the guitar synth. All very soothing and comfy.

Face Lift is my fave.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

For newcomers to her work, I also think that her three compilations would make a perfect introduction - I suggest you listen to Songs of a Prairie Girl, Dreamland and The Beginning of Survival, in that order. This should give you a solid overview of her range and varied musical styles.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Haven't read everyone's responses yet, but EVERYTHING from Blue to Hejira is for me, unquestionably, A+ and essential across the board. Those albums being Blue, For the Roses, Court and Spark, The Hissing of Summer Lawns, Hejira. They are the essence of Joni Mitchell.

Ladies of the Canyon and Don Juan's Reckless Daughter on either side are great bookends and you could argue to include them but I think they're slightly more uneven. The five from 1971-76 are mind-bogglingly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Venus_Envy View Post
    I unashamedly love "Dog Eat Dog"
    For a political album, it really is strikingly on the mark! She digs her teeth into the landscape of 1984-1985 and doesn't let up. Her anger is palatable.

My biggest problem with '80s Joni's albums is that they sound very much like albums made in the '80s.
    Take anything from the '70s or the '90s and they are timeless. Some girl could release today Turbulent Indigo or Hissing and they would sound contemporary. That doesn't happen with the trifecta of the '80s.

And the lyrics of "Taming the tiger", the song, are awesome. I love them, it's like an old woman complaining of the music the teenagers listen today. It reminds me so much of my grandma.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Really enjoyed this

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar

Anyone picked this up? Saw it today in a store in town.
    Attached Images Attached Images

^That looks amazing and reminds me of those Kate Bush special editions that Uncut and MOJO have put out every now and then.

Update on my Joni Journey (because I am really thoroughly enjoyed getting to know her music well):

I am now fully in love with all of Court and Spark. Sometimes things just need the right moment to "click" and boy did this record click in a big way for me. Every song is so damn catchy and beautiful. People's Parties into The Same Situation is brilliant. Down to You is masterful and hits me so hard. It took me a bit longer to get into the last 4 songs, but I got there.

I'm in love with the Hissing of Summer Lawns as well. Edith and the Kingpin, Shades of Scarlett, Sweet Bird, and Boho Dance are all my favorites. Boho Dance is stunning and heartbreaking and I also love Bjorks version.

Hejira is what I'm working on now and it's beautiful and so spacious. I hear a lot of Laura Marling in this one, particularly Amelia.
    Last edited by Domandapiano; 05-20-2017 at 04:08 PM.