Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Board Game / Card Games / Party Games

Board Games / Card Games / Party Games

Any good recommendations for the old-fashioned, low-tech, face-to-face, out-in-the-park type of games? What are your favorites?

My recent favorites have been:

Fluxx - Fun card game where the rules and goals are constantly changing. Serious fun if you haven't had too much to drink.

Clue Master Detective - With moar rooms, moar ppls and moar weapons!

Beyond Balderdash - One person reads a rare word and everyone makes up a definition. All are read out and everyone votes on the real one. (Variations: A date and everyone makes up what happened on that day, acronyms and what they stand for, people and their claim to fame and a movie title and a synopsis.) Great fun with a smart crowd.

PIT - Old-school card game that mimics the stock exchange. Each player has a random set of commodities in their hand and must collect all of one commodity in order to "corner the market." You gain all of one commodity by blind trading with other players, which generally involves LOTS of screaming and yelling (just like the stock market). It is completely nuts and we're addicted to it! I do think it's more fun with larger groups of 5+, because it's almost too easy to play with a small group of people.

With bell!

I just bought Scrabble SLAM! I played it last night with my husband and kids and it was a pleasant surprise how much fun a silly, fast paced 4 letter word game can be. The potential is there for entirely different levels of fun when played without the kids. We had to stop ourselves a few times before slamming down a few words.
    Last edited by bear; 06-15-2010 at 09:06 PM.

I love Scrabble!
    The geek in me also loves Magic the Gathering.
    post28!

UNO!

Quote Originally Posted by Wout View Post
    The geek in me also loves Magic the Gathering.
    Me too! I have a fuckton of cards but no one to play with. I haven't properly played in years, though.

As far as board games go, you can't beat a good game of Clue.

Clarion, have you tried the message boards over at wizard.com? They also have an event locator thingie. Most shops host friday-night playing sessions!
    There haven been some great expansion sets the last few years
    post28!

Yup, I did read the Wizards boards a few years back. Problem right now is that I live in the middle of nowhere - hopefully changing soon! I've thought about going to events before (back when I lived in a big city) but I'm still uncomfortable playing against strangers a lot of the time.

I'd need a really laid-back, casual group. I'm not into the $$$ competitive stuff.

Bumping this since I started playing MTGO again, and I'm working on building a standard-legal deck to take to my local FNM. Are you still playing, Wout?

I actually took a break, since the current Mirrodin set didn't grab my attention, flavor nor mechanic wise... The next set has a gothic horror / victorian theme, it seems, which is much more to my liking.

I do still play a lot of board games. Latest addition is Mansion of Madness, which is really well done. Other current faves: 7 wonders and Dominion.
    post28!

I don't mind the current SOM block, but standard is REALLY STALE. Zendikar I like a lot more, but it's rotating out in October - and yes, I am totally excited for Innistrad. I'm probably in a minority, but I think the game as a whole has suffered with the introduction of planeswalkers. I'm just not a fan. They're cool, but right now in standard if you're playing blue, you pretty much have to run four of Jace, the Mind Sculptor. Nearly $400 for a playset is ridiculous.

Oh yeah, I hate the planeswalkers. They only complicate matters and it turns the game into a race of who gets to play the first one. And Mind Sculptor is just woah gtfo. I read that there are going to be a few cards designed to stop/kill/hurt planeswalkers since even WotC admitted that they are too powerful. (I'd say stop making them )

I Zendikar... From all the sets, I probably bought the most boosters of this one and worldwake. Landfall was a perfect mechanic and allies were fun to play. The Eldrazi were fun at first but, like the planeswalkers, turned it into a race and it threw out nearly everything I liked about Zendikar. Boo. I hope Innistrad will bring some of that back.
    post28!

Quote Originally Posted by Uppity Cracker View Post
    UNO!
    *loves UNO*

Quote Originally Posted by Lathan View Post
    Fluxx - Fun card game where the rules and goals are constantly changing. Serious fun if you haven't had too much to drink.
    We still love playing Fluxx and have recently started playing Chrononauts by the same makers. There is a timeline of history on the cards. As a time traveller from another dimension (or something?) you have to change history and create paradoxes. Certain combinations of real history, paradoxes and alternate events can send you back to your own world, depending on your identity.

Sounds (and looks) complicated, but fun once you get over that hump.