Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Board Game / Card Games / Party Games

PS: Spikey that boardgame table is amazing, your parents are lovely!

We just got Scrabble and Uno. Looking forward to playing them.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    We haven't finished the first game of Resistance: Avalon yet, and already people are looking to buy the game. Here is a buyer's guide I made a while back, might be useful to you.

Basically, the confusing thing is, there are two base games, one with the futuristic theme and one with the Arthurian theme. The themes are of course not compatible.
    This is their development, historically;

- The first vanilla game (only spies & resistance) had a futuristic theme, but no special roles. However, it had an optional expansion module that introduced information and other stuff during the game.

- The Avalon version introduced the Arthurian theme, but more importantly; the special role mechanic. It had no plot cards option (the roles sort of "fired" that mechanism). It also contains the optional module "Lady of the Lake". It has two promotional expansions named "Lancelot" and "Excalibur".

- Last year, two expansions were released for the futuristic theme, which together contains almost everything contained in Avalon, as well as a great deal more.

Note on Loose expansions;

(Expect you need sleeves that hide the way the back of the cards looks, because of colour differences).

Below I describe how they are related to each other. I'll start with Avalon, because trust me, that is the most fun to play.
    I do NOT recommend the base game with the futuristic theme if you're not going to buy the expansion "Hidden Agenda" as well, which adds the Avalon roles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Resistance; Avalon

Theme; Arthurian

Included are the modules that can be mixed and mingled to taste;

Merlin/Assassin; Merlin knows who the spies are, but if the other spies can point him out in the end after three missions succeeded, the good guys lose.
    Percival/Morgana; Percival sees who Merlin and Morgana are, but not who is who. Morgana is otherwise a regular spy.
    Mordred; A spy who is unknown to Merlin
    Oberon; A spy who is unknown to Merlin and other spies

Lady of the Lake; This is not a role card, but a token that is placed in front of the player who has it. With it, the player must find out the alignment (but not the role) of another player, who then obtains the Lady of the Lake.

Expansion. The Resistance; Avalon "Lancelot / Excalibur"

Available for 5 dollars here; http://boardgamegeekstore.com/produc...kstarter-promo

Two seperate modules that can be added at will;

Lancelot; there is a Lancelot role on both sides of the line, so a good Lancelot and a spy Lancelot. From mission 3 and upwards each mission, there is a chance that the Lancelots switch sides.
    A card is revealed openly by the first proposer from a special stack of cards, and it can say "nothing" or "switch". In the latter case, the spy Lancelot becomes good, and the good Lancelot becomes spy.

Excalibur; The proposer of a team also assigns the Excalibur token to someone, which gives the power to look at a played mission card and change it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Resistance; first edition

Not recommended. Like really not.

The Resistance; second and later editions

Theme; futuristic

The vanilla game, with as the only role cards "resistance" and "spy".

Expansion modules included in-box;

The Plot Thickens;
    These are a deck of cards, of which a set number is dealt out by each Leader that first proposes a team for the mission.
    The cards contain things to do immediately, later or permanent effects, and are a way

I can't recommend this expansion. The understanding and dealing out of plot cards greatly bogs down the game, as it takes a lot of extra decision making and explaining. Timing issues can arise.

Expansion. "Merlin"/Assassin 2-card promo;

These came with a magazine to include a "Merlin" and an Assassin card in the futuristic theme. This was later included in "Hidden Agenda".

Expansion. Hidden Agenda;

A large promo which adds the Avalon roles as well as Lancelot to the Resistance with the futuristic theme as follows;
    Merlin; named "The Commander". This card uses the same visual as that of the 2-card promo.
    Assassin; Also named "Assassin", this is the exact same card as from the 2-card promo.
    Percival; Named "the Bodyguard".
    Morgana; Named "The False Commander".
    Mordred; Named "Deep Cover Spy".
    Oberon; Named "Blind Spy".

Note; in the first print run they forgot to include half of the rules to the extra roles.

Lancelot (from the Avalon expansion); named "the Defector".

Annoyingly, neither "Lady of the Lake" nor "Excalibur" equivalents are included officially (though for each you'd actually only need a token to play).

Trapper module;
    This is a new expansion, which proposes an extra person on each mission proposal who will never actually go on it.
    The one with the Leadertoken can isolate this person after the mission cards are played; the mission card played is invalid and revealed.

Expansion. Hostile Intent;

Hunter module; this introduces a mechanic for both the spies and the good guys to have to find a certain individual on the other team. Never played it.

Reverser "roles"; this is simply a new role that can be added at will. There is a spy and a good role card for it. There is a new mission card available next to "Fail" and "Success"; "Reverse".
    It can however only be played by the Reversers. What it does; after mission cards are revealed, it is set aside if one comes up. If the outcome of the other cards is "Success", the reverse card makes it a "Fail", and vice versa.

Inquisitor; this is the futuristic equivalent of the "Lady of the Lake".

Expansion. Hostile Intent & Hidden agenda: kickstarter edition

A bundled edition that includes both Hostile Intent and Hidden Agenda, but also two more expansions;

Sergeant; A token that is the equivalent of the "Excalibur" promo for "Avalon".

Rogue "roles"; this is a new role, there is a spy and a good guy version of it. This adds the option for someone who is a Rogue agent to achieve a solo-victory.
    To this effect, there is a third mission card available named "Rogue Success", which functions just as if it was a Success card, but can only be played by the Rogue good guy.
    New win conditions for the Rogues;
    If the Rogue spy is able to fail a mission twice, of which the last is the third failed mission in total, the Rogue spy wins solo.
    If the Rogue good guy is able to play the mission card "Rogue success" for a second time, and there are three missions succeeded in total, the Rogue good guy wins alone.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Icon15

Has anyone played the card game Gloom?

The fate of one of four eccentric families is in your hands. Your mission is to make sure the most terrible, debilitating tragedies befall your family, while inflicting happy marriages and other positive events on your opponents' families.

The goal is to thoroughly demoralize your family and to kill them off one by one. The family with the lowest self-worth "wins".

I had such a blast playing this game (great group of people) and we had a lot of storytelling to weave the events into the family history. (A favorite being the introduction of a "hot canteen of syphilis" in one of our deaths.)

A buddy of mine has had Gloom on the shelf for a year now and we haven't gotten around to playing it. We should remendy that.

Also, everybody should check out Splendor. Easy to learn, quick to play, a lot of fun!

post28!

^ yep Splendor is really accessible for anyone really, with enough strategic and tactical stuff to keep it interesting.

I bought The Resistance: Avalon game, but so far all i've been able to do is show people how to play it. And everyone gets all excited and wants to play, but we can't because it's only ever 4 people. I so excited about it and can't wait to play, but it's tougher than I thought trying to get 5 people together!

^ You bought it! That is great. You know, my strategy is to plan like two weeks ahead, invite 10 people and hope 7 or so show up. Once they play, 90% will get addicted =).

While we were walking around downtown last night, we happened upon a gamers store/venue - there were several folks in there playing D&D. I was too shy to interrupt and ask if they ever played The Resistance, but if nothing else that might be a way for me to play it. Although, I like the idea of playing with friends and seeing how their personalities impact their playing style.

If you are turning into a Resistance / Avalon addict; there is several ways to play it online.

On going play by forum on boardgame geek; https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/3891...nce/play-forum
    (very clinical, be sure not to troll as a spy!)

Real time chat version;
    http://www.theresistanceonline.com/
    And a better working one with the same software;
    http://resistance.chugg.in/
    (be aware that these people aren't all that friendly all the time, and that they have some sort of asanine rule that if spies are together on missions the fail priority is;
    Oberon > Regular Spy > Assassin > Morgana > Mordred [taking away the ultimate thrill of double / triple fails you yourself experienced, in some cases])

Must say this; nothing beats the real life experience with friends!

Oregon Trail is now translated to a card game .

Wants.

I might have to get this, for the Dysentry alone.

I just discovered this thread, yay! Board games are my total jam. Some of my favourites: Pandemic: Legacy, Fury of Dracula, Scythe, Twilight Struggle and loads more. There's a couple of friends coming over this weekend to play a crunchy Euro-style board game called Trajan, which is all about vying for dominance in Ancient Rome by doing trading, politics, building the city and more.

Has anyone here played Netrunner? Netrunner is pretty much a hobby of mine all in its own right.

Me and a friend played Netrunner for a bit, but it somehow didn't grab us. I prefer the Star Wars LCG (and the Arkham Horror card game is fab, but a totally different beast of course).

Next on my wishlist is Yamatai. Reviews are good and it looks great.
    post28!