Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Board Game / Card Games / Party Games

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar

I saw this game in a shop and felt like buying it. Plays like Risk or Vinci, capture territories with 14 fantasy races of your choice aided by 20 special powers, very colourful map, Legolas looks like this OMG

Unfortunately, it has FIVE expansions and I may not be able to get them.

this tornado loves you UnderTheFunk's Avatar
    Oh, man we spend way too much money on expansions.

My favorite by far is Talisman. We have played many epic (like 7-8hr) games. It has strategy, fantasy and a little bit of luck all rolled into one game. Usually, we modify the distribution of resources for quicker games.

Also just got Kingsburg, which I've been enjoying a lot. You roll for resources and gain points and defenses by using those resources to build.

Smallworld looks cool! I've had it in my hands a few times in the shop... But I've got so many games already, I shouldn't buy any new ones for at least 3 months!
    Plus, the new Magic the Gathering Core Set came out last week, soooooo *ka-ching*
    post28!

I don't know how I grew up in Germany without playing this game, but I did. T and I discovered it last year when we spent time with family in Ravensburg:

It's fairly easy to play but it is really, REALLY fun because of all the twists and turns. You'll have your strategy all mapped out and then one person will make a move and screw it all up.

Oh I remember that game!!!
    If you liked that, there's a game called Robo Rally which has the same tricking mechanism where you slide tiles to screw up another players trajectory.
    post28!

Ooo here are two more albeit abstract games where you screw up other players' strategies:

I read that after a while the many combinations of races and special abilities in Small World will feel too similar to each other. Do post your review of Magic: The Gathering's latest! And for all you Game of Thrones fans, there's a boardgame for it too.

I love the Avatar of Woe, not only for the abilities but also the art:

Last edited by Canoodlefish; 07-20-2011 at 10:36 AM.

OMG! I read this plays better than Guards! Guards!

The Board:

The Characters asdfghjkl:
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

Xmas holidays is for board gaming!

We played some Dead of Winter (great theme), Port Royal (nice quicky card game), 7th hero (hilarious at times), Sail to India (tricky at first but cool meeple management), Fresco, Pathfinder adventure card game, Love Letter (always fun), Deus (awesome) and Imperial Settlers (also awesome).

I gifter myself Seasons and Lords of Xidit but they haven't arrived yet
    post28!

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    I'm loving Bezzerwizzer lately, which is like a next generation Trivial Pursuit - harder questions with more categories, but you don't have to win every category and you can steal your opponents' questions sometimes, which adds the tactical element of a card game.

Also a lifelong Articulate fan, and a ferociously competitive one too.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I'm a little bit late, but I got Cards Against Humanity for Christmas and can't wait to play. My Apples to Apples games usually go towards the vulgar side, so this just encourages my terribly juvenile side. I already picked out some favorite cards

^I recommend getting some of the Crabs Adjust Humidity packs off Amazon.com. It's sold as a companion to CAH but the cards are all similarly hilarious, random, inappropriate, vulgar, and absurd. I've ordered three of the sets so far, just to add some new life into my CAH collection. No one ever notices they're using cards from a different game, the white and black cards look nearly the same.

Yay, mailman brought my Xmas gift to myself:

post28!

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    ^Love that one.

Finally played "Battle at Kemble's Cascade". This game is great, it is a boardgame based on old space/screen-scrolling games, where you fly through a space that automatically scrolls.

There is even four bosses, you never know which one is hiding at the end until you get there.

"Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

^ R-type flashbacks!!! Cool

Yesterday was games night. Xidit was more fun than I thought it would be.
    I had my plans thwarted quite a few times so I got kicked out of the ranking quite quickly but we had lots of fun.
    We also played Machi Koro, sort of a mix of Catan and Dominion, which was a good elegant quicky.
    post28!

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    Yesterday was games night. Xidit was more fun than I thought it would be.
    Happened to me too! I anticipated it with "okay, French manga-rip-off-what-evers" but the gameplay and tactics blew me away. REally nice!
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎