Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite + least favourite per album

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

Favourite + least favourite per album

I'm interested to see what people consider their favourite and their least favourite song on each Kate album.

Feel free to give reasons as to why you like/don't especially like the songs you choose, I'd love to read everyone's comments.

Go!

Last edited by Hannah.; 11-23-2010 at 08:58 PM.

TKI:
    "Wuthering Heights" is a favorite because that vocal never fails to thrill me after all these years...and it would still be entrancing without it. Perfection.
    If I had to pick a non-favorite...maybe it would be "Feel It"...but there really isn't a dud in the bunch. All the songs have her poetry and whimsy.

Lionheart:
    "Oh England My Lionheart" used to be my favorite, simply because it really is like a poem put to song. And the pipes are perfect.
    I've never been that crazy about "Wow"...but the songwriting in "Peter Pan" and especially "Heartbrake" seem amateurish compared to anything on TKI.

Never For Ever:
    "Delius" perfectly evokes the sounds of a slow-moving creek with dragonflies whizzing by, and it's a beautiful song to boot. Underappreciated!
    I'm gonna get hated for this, but "Breathing," though it would lead to other epically produced pieces, just seems bloated and a little ordinary to me.

The Dreaming:
    On an album where the tortured "Night of the Swallow" is the most accessible song...it's hard to pick a favorite. But perhaps the title song is the most stand-alone.
    I don't dislike any. Perhaps I listen to "Pull Out The Pin" less than others, but I still respect how great it is. It's a little less musical than the others, though. So that one.

Hounds Of Love:
    Is it incorrect to pick "Under The Ivy"? It is? Okay, then, "Jig Of Life." I might still pick this amazing mash of celtic, rock, time-travel and eerie religious fervor anyway.
    Geez, I like them all. I know "The Morning Fog" takes the hit from many, but I like that one too. But I guess if I gotta, that one.

The Sensual World:
    "Rocket's Tale" -- her last batshit-crazy, fly-in-the-wind-like-she's-on-a-broom-going-Mach-5 song. I love it. The Trio B. utilized to their absolute best.
    "Between A Man And A Woman" is the one I listen to the least. I like "Heads We're Dancing" better. BAMAAW has a great opening, but does nothing for me afterwards.

The Red Shoes:
    "Moments Of Pleasure", with no hesitation. Just beautiful. And the instrumental is even gorgeous -- you'd think it would be monotonous, but it constantly changes.
    Least Fave is a toss-up between "And So Is Love" (which is a little pedestrian for her) and "Constellation" which is wacky but not brilliantly so. Mmm, Constellation.

Aerial:
    My favorite constantly changes, which is a sure sign it's a great album. 'Twas once "Nocturn," then "Sunset," and now could be "A Coral Room." Or "Sunset" again!
    Don't hate me but "Pi" is more cute, ballsy concept than great song. And I'm not crazy about the bridges ("oh he loves his numbers") which dilute the ballsiness. Pi.
    Last edited by Pyewacket; 11-23-2010 at 08:53 PM.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    TKI:
    + Wuthering Heights, it's just insane that she made that, and it was the biggest song of the year.
    - So hard! I used to hate Kite until I realised it possibly inspired the theme to cheesy 80s sit com Sorry and now it makes me smile. Also it could be someone very posh pronouncing her forname as "kyte". Strange Phenomena, I suppose, could've shifted to a B-side without harming the album much.

LH:
    + Wow, for cementing her as a chart artist
    - Fullhouse, could have been a bridge to one of the other songs really

N4E:
    + Army Dreamers narrowly beats Babooshka, both amazingly invented pop songs. There's no way Army Dreamers would get played on the radio if it was released now that war is sacred in this country.
    - Violin bores me, it's like someone doing a bad impression of Kate being "wacky"

TD:
    + Suspended in Gaffa, for managing to touch so many emotional buttons through such musically unobvious routes
    - There Goes A Tenner, Dick van Dyke can do an equally convincing cockney accent

HOL:
    + Hello Earth, but virtually impossible to choose
    - I suppose The Big Sky is 'merely' extremely good, a 9/10, and so ends up in this spot undeservingly

TSW:
    + Rocket's Tail is like nothing else and bonfire night is 'my' night, but TSW,NevarBMine and This Woman's work all 10/10 too
    - If a crack in time sucked Between A Man And A Woman off everybody's copies I think it'd be a while til it was missed

TRS:
    + Fewer 10s but more 9s than its predecessors. Eat the Music! Also MOP & TOTC & L & &SIL.
    - Constellation of the Heart would've been a nice enough b-side

A:
    + King of the Mountain has an edge of quirk, ahead of Mrs B and Coral Room which are among my favorite profound piano ballads
    - Bertie Undone, though I don't really hate it, well not for the first 3 or 4 minutes

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    The Kick Inside
    + "The Kick Inside"
    - "The Saxophone Song"

Lionheart
    + "Hammer Horror"
    - "Don't Push Your Foot on the Hearbrake"

Never for Ever
    + "Breathing"
    - "All We Ever Looked For"

The Dreaming
    + "Pull Out the Pin"
    - "There Goes a Tenner"

Hounds of Love
    + Hello Earth"
    - "The Morning Fog"

The Sensual World
    + "Rocket's Tail"
    - "Deeper Understanding"

The Red Shoes
    + "The Song of Solomon"
    - "Eat the Music"

Aerial
    + "A Coral Room"
    - "An Architect's Dream"

TKI:
    +Wuthering Heights
    -Room For The Life

LH:
    +In Search Of Peter Pan (one of her very very best imo)
    -Coffee Homeground

NFE:
    +Breathing
    -Egypt

TD:
    +Suspended In Gaffa
    -The Dreaming

HOL:
    +Cloudbusting (honorable mention: Hello Earth)
    -The Morning Fog

TSW:
    +Never Be Mine
    -Between A Man And A Woman

TRS:
    +Top Of The City
    -Eat The Music

A Sea Of Honey:
    +Mrs. Bartolozzi
    -Bertie

A Sky Of Honey:
    +Sunset
    -The Painter's Link

TKI:
    +the man with the child in his eyes
    -room for the life

LH:
    +peter pan
    -kashka

NFE:
    +babooshka
    -night scented stock

TD:
    +night of the swallow
    -all the love

HOL:
    +hello earth / cloudbusting
    -the big sky

omgcheating
    TWS:
    + wuthering (new vocal)
    - army dreamers

TSW:
    +never be mine
    -heads we're dancing

TRS:
    +song of solomon
    -eat the music

A Sea Of Honey:
    +how to be invisible
    -bertie

A Sky Of Honey:
    +sunset
    -painter's link

bsides:
    + under the ivy
    - ken

covers
    + lord of the reedy river
    - candle in the wind

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Last edited by Octopussy; 08-21-2012 at 01:03 PM.

The Kick Inside
    + Feel It
    - L'amour Looks Something Like You.

Lionheart
    + Hammer Horror
    - Fullhouse

Never For Ever
    + Violin
    - Delius (Song of Summer)

The Dreaming
    + Night Of The Swallow
    - The Dreaming

Hounds Of Love
    + Running Up That Hill
    - Watching You Without Me

The Sensual World
    + The Sensual World
    - Deeper Understanding

The Red Shoes
    + You're The One
    - Eat the Music

Aerial
    + Pi
    - Prologue (though I find the whole A Sky Of Honey pretty boring, but I'm alone on this)
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

+ Moving, narrowly beating Wuthering Heights. It's such an incredible album opener and mood setter for what is to come; fragile, eerily beautiful. 'You crush the lily in my soul' - yup.
    - Room for the Life, nice enough melody but blergh lyrics.

LH:
    + Wow - pure Kate classic. Runner up: In Search of Peter Pan.
    - Fullhouse is great musical portrayal of a difficult state of mind but all the same, I find it difficult to get through sometimes.

N4E:
    + Breathing - moody, eerie, oddly erotic Cold War apocalyptica. Genius!
    - Egypt sits uncomfortably next to most of the amazing work on this album. It's clearly a TKI-era reject and one of her weakest lyrical efforts IMO.

TD:
    + Unpossible to pick a favourite track from an entire album of standouts, but for form's sake I'll go with the title track The Dreaming, for it's evocative alien soundscape and that marvellous segue into the Irish pipes of Night of the Swallow.
    - There Goes A Tenner is the only track which really lacks emotional depth for me.

HOL:
    + Again, unpossible! I'll pick Cloudbusting from Side A for being sad and uplifting at the same time and Hello Earth from Side B for the whole soaring grandeur thing and that lovely German bit at the end with the Nosferatu choir.
    - The Big Sky is fun and happy but if I had to lose a track off Side A, I'd pick it over the rest. It's fun as hell, but lacks the deep emotion of RUTH, HoL, Cloudbusting etc.

TSW:
    + The Sensual World - Molly Blooms's erotic, earthy femininity done in a cool-as-air vocal to a Bulgarian folk melody - genius time again. Runner up: the autumnal melancholy of Never Be Mine. "They're setting fire to the cornfields .." *shiver*
    - Between A Man And A Woman is just boring and I'm always glad when it's over.

TRS:
    + Big Stripey Lie for one of the few moments of Total Kate Expermental Genius on this album. Runners up: Lily for managing to cope with the occult subject matter without silliness or intense cheesiness and And So Is Love for the beautiful vocal.
    - You're the One I'd kick off the album, together with the the Prince-tainted abomination Why Should I Love You?

A:
    + Nocturne for the absolutely perfect evocation of a starlit beach and that long, slow delicious build to ther scream of 'LOOK AT THE LIGHT!'
    - Bertie. Nice music, crummy lyrics, could have kept to self to avoid embarrassing the bairn as teenager.

TKI:
    + The Kick Inside (So gorgeous, so sad, so...right when you might think it shouldn't be)
    - Feel It (Not bad, just a bit dull at times)

Lionheart:
    + Coffee Homeground (I love the whole album, but this is the one that I can put on "repeat")
    - In The Warm Room (Maybe it's the sequencing that makes this seem like the closest thing to a weak link)

The Dreaming:
    + All The Love (Her saddest song?)
    - Leave it Open (I couldn't even remember the title; I just knew it was track #5)

HOL:
    + Mother Stands For Comfort (that bass!!!)
    - Running Up That Hill (the song that singlehandedly turned me off of KB for years)

TSW:
    + Love & Anger (perfect hook...the saving grace of the album)
    - The Fog (boring!!!)

TRS:
    + Moments of Pleasure ("He meets us at the left like Douglas Fairbanks, waving his walking stick"...her best lyric)
    - Why Should I Love You? (An unintentionally self-referential question)

Aerial:
    + How To Be Invisible (the riff is so sexy)
    - (I really can't pick, because I always fall asleep partway through side 2, so I don't know which song is which. )

Quote Originally Posted by Shelter417 View Post
    + Coffee Homeground (I love the whole album, but this is the one that I can put on "repeat")

Quote Originally Posted by Shelter417 View Post
    - The Fog (boring!!!)

TKI
    + "Them Heavy People"
    - "Room For The Life"

LH
    + "Wow"
    - "Coffee Homeground"

NFE
    + "All We Ever Look For"
    - "Night Scented Stock"

TD
    + "Get Out Of My House"
    - "All The Love"

HOL
    + "Cloudbusting"
    - "The Big Sky"

TSW
    + "Rocket's Tail"
    - "Between A Man And A Woman"

TRS
    + "Moments Of Pleasure"
    - "Constellation Of The Heart"

Aerial
    + "Joanni"
    - "Pi"
    Last edited by Scott; 11-26-2010 at 07:03 PM.

The Kick Inside:
    + Wuthering Heights .. isnt just wonderful! whenever I listen to it I have to put it on repeat.
    - Feel It .. I simply dont care for it.

Lionheart:
    + Hammer Horror .. the closest we got to hear an another Wuthering Heights from Kate..equally bueatiful, haunting and nutttsss
    honorable mentions: Wow and Kashka From Baghdad
    -Fullhouse..meeh tried to get into it but I couldnt..it's so complicated and busy..but not the fun kind

Never For Ever:
    +The Infant Kiss .. wow just wow..how the fuck did she capture the mood so vivdly? it makes you wonder if Kate was a pedo in some other life. wow the tention the song builds is beautifull TOO MUCH
    -Night Scented Stock..meh

The Dreaming (A.K.A. where it gets really hard cause all the songs are so mothefucking good)
    +There Goes A Tenner .. nuts nuts nuts nuts nuts..how did she came up with the melody?
    honorbale mentions: Pull Out The Pin, Night Of The Swallow, Houdini, Suspended In Gaffa
    -The Dreaming .. I never got into the song.. it would've made a brilliant album track...but the reason what it was the lead single off the album is just beyond moi

Hounds Of Love:
    + Under Ice .. again kudos for kate for capturing he mood..the sense of danger is really high..and the production remind me of those old submarines russian movies
    honrobale mention: The Ninth Wave..the greatest piece of music ever made.
    -The Big Sky..meh meh meh and meh.

The Sensual World
    + Rocket's Fuckin' Tail .. Need I say more?
    honroable mention: Deeper Understanding
    ------ Between a Man and A Woman..probably (actually i'm sure) the worst kate song ever made..and even if someone otherthan kate wrote this song is would still sound so bad..yup it's that bad.

The Red Shoes:
    +Constellation Of The Heart .. say whatever you want, this song rocks my fucking socks
    honorbale mention: You're The One, And So Is Love, Big Stripy Lie, Eat The Music..ooh it's just a great album
    -Lily maybe..I dont hate it really..just compared to the others maybe.

Aerial:
    + Sunset .. the sense of joy people..the sense of joy and Mrs.Bartolozzi (I couldnt put it in the honorably mentions section..it's just hard to choose)
    honroable mentions: Joanni, Berite, King, coral room...lets say the whole thing
    -Prologue .. I dont really care for it..nice song still

Last edited by Alpha Neutral; 03-30-2015 at 07:44 AM.