+ Nocturn
    - Bertie

Director's Cut
    + Lily
    - Flower of the Mountain

The Kick Inside
    + The Kick Inside
    -L'Amour Looks Something Like You

I think the Kick Inside is one of the strangest, yet most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Kate has a knack for turning an odd subject (like incest) into something ethereal. As for L'Amour, I thought it was just too cheesy. Actually, that and Oh To Be In Love are REALLY dated and seemed like they were forced in some way to be more commercial love songs. This might not be the case, but that's how I perceive them.

Lionheart
    + Hammer Horror
    - In A Warm Room

It was a toss up between Hammer Horror and Wow as my faves, but I choose HH. Both talk about life on the stage, but Hammer Horror gives a more sinister twist that I love. In A Warm Room is a song that I just don't listen to. It doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

Never For Ever
    + All We Ever Look For
    - Egypt

There are a lot of great songs on NFE, but I feel a more personal connection with All We Ever Look For. Egypt is just narming as hell. "Pussy Queen" indeed.

The Dreaming
    + Get Out Of My House
    - There Goes A Tenner

This was hard. The Dreaming is one of my alltime favorite albums by anyone and each song is pretty much perfection. Again, I'm a sucker for dark songs and Get Out Of My House has it in spades. I'd also choose the bridge between The Dreaming and Night of the Swallow as favorite moment out of any album too. There Goes A Tenner is a fun song, but a weak link out of the whole album.

Hounds of Love
    + Hello Earth
    - The Morning Fog

Once again, the darker moments are my favorite. I love the whole album, but Hello Earth makes the hairs on my neck stand on end. That and Under The Ivy are some of Kate's most compelling vocal work. They are so strong. The Morning Fog is a pretty song, but I like to think that she never made it out of the water.

The Sensual World
    + Deeper Understanding
    - Reaching Out

This is one of the first Kate albums I listened to repeatedly, so choosing a favorite was hard. I think Deeper Understanding has another personal connection with me, as it seems like my life revolves around the computer and I have a better time relating to that instead of real people. Reaching Out was a song I never really liked. It doesn't grab me like the other songs do.

The Red Shoes
    + The Red Shoes
    - You're The One/Why Should I Love You

Apart for a few songs, this is my least favorite album ever. There are some great moments, but it's really a dud in the Kate catalogue. The Red Shoes is a song I picked because my other favorite got better with another version of it (see Director's Cut).

Aerial
    + Prelude/Prologue
    - Bertie

I choose Prelude/Prologue because it's just a beautiful opener to A Sky of Honey. With the birds forming words and just the feel of the sunrise through the music, it really sets the mood perfectly. Bertie is just...well...standard "I love my kid so here's a too sweet song about him". I wish Kate wouldn't have fallen into the same trap, but there you go.

Director's Cut
    + Never Be Mine/Lily
    - Flower of the Mountain

I choose both Never Be Mine and Lily for two different reasons. I love the off the cuff, simplicity of the DC version of Never Be Mine. Kate sounds almost weary in the song, and I thought it brought out more of the sadness of the song than the original. DC Lily is stronger and has more conviction than the original. How can you not love her belting out "Who's on the left? Who's on the right?". Flower of the Mountain is just muck. I get that she finally got permission to use the full version of the poem, but her voice just sounds too odd on it, like she was half asleep singing it.

Haven't listened to Lionheart and DC enough to pass judgement.

The Kick Inside
    +The Man With The Child In His Eyes, such a beautiful song. Them Heavy People is a close second.
    -Kite

Never For Ever
    +Army Dreamers. This song is beautiful start to finish, so spare and so touching, with wonderful melody and vocal expression. The sounds of the loading gun and the yelling corporal are such clever little touches.
    -Violin I guess

The Dreaming
    +Every single song is a gem. I guess I'd go for the mad fan favourite Get Out Of My House ('With my key, I'), but I'm a huge fan of There Goes A Tenner, All The Love, The Dreaming and Night Of The Swallow.
    -I wouldn't want to remove any track, but I'm least often in the mood to listen to Pull Out The Pin.

Hounds Of Love
    +Cloudbusting. The Kate pop song, possibly her best ever. It's just magic start to finish - the strings, the melody, her voice, the chorus, its length. 'Your son's coming out'. Hounds of Love is a close second.
    -I don't dislike it, but Mother Stands For Comfort feels a bit out of place on side 1.

The Ninth Wave
    +Jig Of Life. It's Dreaming madness meets Hounds lush musicality. 'Never never say goodbye, to that part of your life'. It makes me dance! Under Ice is also amazing for it's length - incredibly atmospheric. And obviously Hello Earth is incredible.
    -Waking The Witch. I love how it starts, but I'm really not a fan of the song.

The Whole Story

The Sensual World
    +The Sensual World. Mmmmm, yes! Gorgeous. The mixing leaves something to be desired (such a sensuous song should have her voice right up front) but the consonance and sibilance of the lyrics really does involve you regardless. It's like she's orgasming whispering right in your ear.
    -Deeper Understanding I guess, the production and mixing is awful (well, it is on most of the album).

The Red Shoes
    +Eat The Music! 'Split him open, like a pomegranate'. The happy, danceable tracks are best, with The Red Shoes coming close second.
    -Constellation Of The Heart, worst song of her career, eurgh.

Aerial: A Sea Of Honey
    +I like all the songs here well enough. A Coral Room is of course a standout, but Mrs. Bartolozzi is more emotionally resonant for me personally. 'And it looks so alive, nice and white'. I want to hug the character so badly, I'm usually in tears by the end. I also adore Bertie, so unaffectedly happy.
    -How To Be Invisible, I guess. I don't dislike it at all.

Aerial: A Sky Of Honey
    +Probably Nocturn, with Sunset close behind. 'We become panoramic' - it's just gorgeousness beyond measure, the way it gradually builds and crests like a rising sun. I think it climaxes more effectively than almost any other song I've ever heard. Sunset is impossible not to mention, I think, and is perfection from start to finish - 'beautiful iridescent blue' is just as gorgeous as the flamenco breakdown. Special mention to the brilliantly loopy Aerial Tal.
    -I find this basically impossible, as I can't just name one of the short songs and say 'it isn't really a song', because I think they're perfect for what they are, even with Rolf Harris. I'm also in love with An Architect's Dream - 'watching the painter painting'. I probably have to say Somewhere In Between. And I love that song.

50 Words For Snow
    +I don't think I've really made up my mind yet. It's probably Lake Tahoe, but on a different day it might be Snowflake or Misty. Such wonderful stories, beautifully told, with so much atmosphere. Kate's/Bertie's voice is wonderful.
    -Snowed In At Wheeler Street. I don't see myself warming to this any time soon. Even If I love Kate's voice at the end. Too cliché, and Elton is horrible.
    Last edited by Andrew; 02-13-2012 at 11:24 PM.

The Kick Inside:
    + The Kick Inside. I can't articulate the feeling properly. The music is like it's coming from a place of eternal constants,outside of reality. It just IS.
    - Them Heavy People.

Lionheart:
    + In Search Of Peter Pan. The lyrics.....
    - Coffee Homeground.

Never For Ever:
    + Breathing.
    - Violin. This just grates.

The Dreaming:
    + Leave It Open. I've never heard anything like it. It's just absolutely astounding. Is there a Pandora theme?
    - Suspended In Gaffa.

Hounds Of Love:
    + Cloudbursting/Jig Of Life. (or,CloudBUSTING. Thanks ToriMODE xD ) Can't decide. Actually,the whole album is flawless. so... Everything except:
    - Morning Fog

The Sensual World:
    + Never Be Mine. I've lived that song too many times
    - Love & Anger

Red Shoes:
    + Lily
    - Eat The Music. If I did,on this track,I'd throw up.

Aerial:
    + A Coral Room
    - Joanni
    Last edited by Myshuno; 08-20-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: I'm a ditz
    "What use sorrow in an isle of ghosts?"

The Kick Inside
    + The Saxophone Song
    - Feel It

Lionheart
    + Kashka from Baghdad / In Search of Peter Pan
    - In the Warm Room

Never for Ever
    + Breathing
    - Blow Away (For Bill)

The Dreaming
    + Houdini / Get Out of My House
    - All the Love

Hounds of Love
    + Cloudbusting
    - And Dream of Sheep
    (I guess)

The Sensual World
    + This Woman's Work
    - Walk Straight Down the Middle

The Red Shoes
    + The Red Shoes
    - Big Stripey Lie / Why Should I Love You?

Aerial
    + An Architect's Dream
    - How to Be Invisible

Director's Cut
    + Lily / The Red Shoes
    - Flower of the Mountain

50 Words for Snow
    + Snowflake / Lake Tahoe
    - 50 Words for Snow

The Kick Inside
    + The Kick Inside
    - L'Amour Looks Something Like You

Lionheart
    + Coffee Homeground
    - In the Warm Room

Never for Ever
    + Army Dreamers
    - Egypt

The Dreaming
    + Suspended in Gaffa
    - All the Love

Hounds of Love
    + Running Up That Hill
    - Mother Stands for Comfort

The Ninth Wave
    + Hello Earth
    - The Morning Fog

The Sensual World
    + The Fog/Rocket's Tail (impossible to decide)
    - Heads we're Dancing

The Red Shoes
    + And So Is Love
    - Why Should I Love You?

Aerial
    A Sea of Honey
    + A Coral Room
    - Bertie

A Sky of Honey
    + Sunset/Prologue
    - Somewhere in Between

Director's Cut
    + Lily/Never be Mine
    - Deeper Understanding

50 Words for Snow
    + Misty
    - Snowed in at Wheeler Street

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    I'm doing this again because I'm kind of amazed at what I picked for least favorites the first time:

The Kick Inside
    + Moving: This is like the quintessential KB song to me
    - The Man with the Child in His Eyes: I never listen to this. For the record I actually really like the music on Room for the Life.

Lionheart
    + Hammer Horror: Her best OTT campy moment. Wow is super close runner up.
    - Coffee Homeground: I like what she was going for, but it doesn't work IMO.

Never for Ever
    + Breathing: Really epic.
    - Violin: A Kick Inside-era throwaway, I don't know why this is here. I love campy Kate but this is too much.

The Dreaming
    + Suspended in Gaffa: Impossible to choose between this, Night of the Swallow and All the Love, three of the songs on the album I relate to the most. I'd call it a three-way tie TBH.
    - Pull Out the Pin: I like it, but it's really difficult. Too many I AM ALIVE's, etc.

Hounds of Love
    + Hounds of Love from side A, Watching You Without Me from side B. Another impossible choice, so I had to cheat a little.
    - erm, um... Burning Bridge? It was a bonus track!!!

The Sensual World
    + This Woman's Work: It's just that good.
    - Between a Man and a Woman: What was she thinking? The b-sides are better than this.

The Red Shoes
    + The Song of Solomon: Reminds me of being in a garden at night. Love everything about this.
    - You're the One: Relatively bland for her, no?

Aerial: A Sea of Honey
    + A Coral Room: The clear winner.
    - pretty much everything else, but especially Bertie which I never listen to.

Aerial: A Sky of Honey
    + Nocturne: Wow wow wow!!!
    - An Architect's Dream: This one just doesn't have a lot going on for me. It's pleasant, but that's not enough.

Director's Cut
    + Lily: She nailed it, better than the original in ALMOST every way.
    - Rubberband Girl: This is just awful.

50 Words for Snow
    + Lake Tahoe I guess.
    - who cares? This album is boring.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Thought I'd re-do this with more thorough explanations. My favourites change so often anyways and it'd be nice to add 50WfS to the list.

The Kick Inside

+ Moving
    My favourite flits between this and Saxophone Song, which I see a kind of double-opener. I love it's ethereal sensuality; it's a very raw version of what I like about Kate's music, and a feeling she has retained as her music has become more complex on the songwriting and production sides. In simple terms, I like how it's a song about movement/dancing, and it sounds like it's a song about a dancer. The fact that she captures the subject matter of her songs not only lyrically but musically has also continued throughout her career.

- Room For The Life
    This is the only track on Kate's early albums that show her age. It's a bit of a cutesy, naive message (in my opinion; obviously she can write about whatever the fuck she wants) and for some inexplicable reason doesn't have that Kate magic to it. I probably listen to this least out of all of Kate's songs (but that's not saying much)

Lionheart

+ In Search of Peter Pan/Wow
    I can never decide between these two, as with Moving/Saxphone I see them as a pair. Just beautiful and haunting, and the transition from one to the other with the strings is gorgeous. A perfect example of Kate being theatrical and camp, with a very dark twist underneath.

- Don't Push Your Foot On The Heartbrake
    I don't like the car-based puns (they don't work with any artist *cough* Cars & Guitars *cough*), and it's a bit faux-rock'n'roll for her. I love the live staging of it on the Tour of Life though.

Never For Ever

+ Breathing
    I think this is an early appearance of the artist who will record 'Hounds of Love' five years later. I love the bravery of having a minute long instrumental at the end of a lead-single (a gamble that didn't pay off, but never mind). It's catchy, haunting, dark and beautiful. One of my all-time favourite Kate songs

- Violin
    As others have said, I find this very jarring on an otherwise slickly constructed album. I would have been a fun b-side, and even if it's great live, it didn't need to be included here

The Dreaming

+ Get Out Of My House
    This is a close tie with Night of the Swallow. I don't think I can explain what is so awesome about this song, but it's just all-balls-out-there incredible. Braying like a donkey has never been so sexy

- Leave It Open
    The only track where the weirdness seems slightly forced. I'm not really criticising it, as we're talking about The Dreaming here, so even this track is as good as the best on 99.99% of other records

Hounds of Love: Side A

+ Running Up That Hill
    This used to be 'Cloudbusting', but personal experiences and time have pushed RUTH up in my estimation. It really is a brilliant pop song. Musically and lyrically it's pretty simple, but she evokes so much longing and power. It's also so fun to sing along to. A well deserved classic. The new vocal remix is brilliant too.

- Mother Stands For Comfort
    A very good song, but I would sacrifice it over the other four on this side any day of the week. It's the only one without that big elemental scope to it

The Ninth Wave

+ Jig of Life/Hello Earth
    Simply couldn't decide between these two. There aren't enough adjectives to describe how much I love this part of the album. The choirs, the whale song, her brother's poem, the Irish jig, the transitional voices, the pipes, all of it. To call them 'songs' would demean them somewhat.

- The Morning Fog
    I love it as a closer to the suit, but as a stand-alone song it's by far the least interesting

The Sensual World

+ The Fog
    I get a sense that this is one of Kate's more personal songs, obviously due to the inclusion of her father. I wish we'd get a remaster of this, as the slightly murky production tarnishes what I believe is one of her most beautiful compositions

- Between A Man and A Woman
    As others have said; I have no idea what she was thinking

The Red Shoes

+ The Red Shoes
    This was 'Song of Solomon', but I prefer the DC version so next up is the title track, which is great fun with - as usual - very dark undertones. The video is one of my favourites from her as well

- Constellation of the Heart
    The "we think you'd better wake up Captain" section makes me cringe, and it's a bit too cheesy for my tastes

Aerial: A Sea of Honey

+ A Coral Room
    A deeply touching song which resonates with me personally too. Her most successful use of abstract metaphor. It's almost crushing in it's silent power. "There were hundreds of people living here...". Every line relates closely to those feelings of loss and grief.

- Bertie
    I do like it, but it's tweeness grates on me sometimes

Aerial: A Sky of Honey

+ Nocturn
    I love Kate when she's sprawling and conceptual, and this 8 minute epic shows what she can do best. Evocative and beautiful

- Aerial Tal
    Only because it's short, and I love this disc

Director's Cut

+ Song of Solomon
    I loved this on The Red Shoes, and she made it even better by stripping it back and bringing the Trio to the forefront. Bibical eroticism at it's best

- Deeper Understanding
    What I find most problematic about this version is not the autotuned chorus but her vocal. She sounds a bit strained, and before I'd heard the rest of the album I was worried. I think it's an artistic choice, but I find it sacrifices some of the mood of the song. I think she picked as a single so she could make a film out of it though, which I appreciate as I really liked the video

50 Words for Snow

+ Lake Tahoe
    As soon as I heard this I knew it would be on of my all-time favourites of hers. Even though it's very long, I hear something new in it each time I listen. Requires a lot of patience but the depth and mood of it make the pay off more than worth it. It contains every element I love about Kate's music. That breath of silence just before the bird squawking may one of my favourite moments on any of her records

- 50 Words for Snow
    I think it works better as an idea than an actual song. Plus, I'm suffering from a bit of Stephen Fry over-kill and he's beginning to irk me, so hearing his voice here annoys me a bit

Aerial Tal is one of the absolute peaks of Sky imo

^Indeed!

I only rated it the lowest because it's the shortest and there aren't any lyrics; but I do like it as a bridge during the suit. I wouldn't listen to it as a stand alone song though.

I've always liked to turn it up full blast.

I do think there are lyrics: "are you bored/bird/Bert? Talk to me, birdy/Bertie!" And then of course the "a sea of honey, a sky of honey" pigeon talk...
    you have touched my life
    so that now cathedrals of sound are singing

Oh come on guys don't be pedantic, you know what I mean. It's lovely piece of music that's used as a transition between two other songs, in keeping with the concept of the entire album. It's not a fully-formed song with full lyrical content or any extended ideas or melodies. For that reason alone I rated it lowest, because I love every single track on the second disc.

The Kick Inside
    + The Kick Inside
    - Feel It

Lionheart
    + Hammer Horror
    - Fullhouse

Never For Ever
    + Breathing
    - Delius (Song Of Summer)

The Dreaming
    + Houdini
    - er...