Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: Healthy eats

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    I know a lot of people who eat "clean," meaning nothing comes out of a box. If it's got a label with a list of ingredients, then it's processed. I try to eat as many whole foods throughout the day as possible - lots of fruits and veg! But I have to have my box of gluten free crackers and hummus available at all times, so...everything in moderation!
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

I kept a food diary for 2 weeks just for curiosity's sake - I always assumed ai eat well, but I was pretty shocked at the lack of protein and the glut of sugar in my diet- looks like I live on brown rice, fruit and salad vegetables So I started to add protein at every meal but am not massively into meat and there's only so much tofu I can face. Anybody got any tasty non-meat protein ideas/recipes?

Are you willing to eat eggs? They're a great source of protein and there's a lot you can do with them.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Lentils, beans and other pulses. Beans & Rice = classic.

I tend to mix some lentils and dry split peas into my rice so that any time I cook rice there's going to be some protein goodness in there as well.

And keep a variety of nuts around. Add them into your salads.

Different kinds of grains are good too. Quinoa, millet, cous-cous, barley and spelt are all yummy, nutritious and loaded with protein.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    ^ Oh yes, I went on a bit of a barley and spelt spree this winter, using them in broths and stews, and as a replacement for rice in a risotto. Deliciousness

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Arriving home late and staying away from unhealthy foods - why is it so hard. I have no trouble eating only vegetables in the morning. I have no trouble eating only fruit during the day. I needed some last-resort defenses that are;
    - Insanely quick to prepare
    - Vegetarian
    - Low on calories
    - High in protein

This is what I came up with, a hearty one and a sweet, chocolate one.

Hearty (very Provençal); Cottage cheese (80kcals/100gr) + a can of artichoke hearts (water/salt conserved only) + either tomato tapenade or fresh pesto (+ nuts if i want to add significant calories) (+ thinly sliced fannel if I want) + fresh herbs

Chocalate; Greek yoghurt 0% fat (50kcals/100gr) + cacao powder + fluid artificial sweetener + vanilla essence (+ some roasted almonds if I want to add calories).
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

I've been a big fish eater for a number years and could go on and on about its health benefits. Had Sablefish tonight, with fresh steamed potatoes, green beans and carrots.

This article says that eating well is important, but when you eat is important too. Earlier in the day is better, while eating a big dinner and late night snacks can lead to weight gain and other problems, even if the foods and number of calories is the same. I wasn't sure where to put this, but here you are.

The Case for a Breakfast Feast