Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthy eats

Healthy eats

Tell us about your good eats here, plz!

I just want an excuse to post about kale chips and hear about the various things Brits put in their oatmeal porridge.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Baby carrots - I usually eat the entire bag at once crunching one after another into my mouth like I'm some kind of a machine. But hey, they're healthy and yummy too.

I'm completely hooked to Fage 2% Greek yogurt for breakfast. I add Kashi Go Lean Crisp (Berry Crumble!) and some fresh berries. This is great after a workout too.

I have still yet to try this baked kale and it sounds so good!

Vanilla Greek yogurt rocks my world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Baby carrots - I usually eat the entire bag at once crunching one after another into my mouth like I'm some kind of a machine. But hey, they're healthy and yummy too.
    I'm hungry and I thought I was all out of food. Until you reminded me there is a bag of baby carrots in the bottom drawer of my fridge. YAY!

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT Stumpy's Avatar
    YEAH PORRIDGE THREAD.

Today I tried Mans' suggestion of putting in my nana to cook with my porridge. I'm not sure how much I dug it, but I've started putting cinnamon in my porridge again and it is heavenly.

I've been eating rubbish for dinner for ages, though. I am in such a funk. All day I'm so good - Cup of unsweetened tea, porridge and nana, soup and blueberries. I get home and DISASTER. I have greek yoghurt right there but instead I eat complete crap endlessly, spoil any dinner I was planning and end up having crisps or toast or something. I completely recognise my triggers, know what causes them but it seems like my willpower has fucked off. But soon I am housesitting wher I will have no crap available, so I hope to fix this routine.

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    Been trying to eat healthier recently, especially in the evening and night (which is where I go ape shit and eat everything in the fridge.) After a healthy dose of marijuana last night I was aching for a box of Oreos, instead I had lightly salted popcorn. It kept me occupied. I'm staying away from high fructose corn syrup and harmful oils.

Since my cancer diagnosis I have changed my diet considerably. I used to bake and honestly don't crave foods I used to and now DO crave fruits and yogurt instead. I've also added yoga which has made a huge difference. I'll be checking out this thread to see what I'm missing!

^^^

A variation on banana cooked with porridge: I slice it up on top after it's done cooking, then add a handful of walnuts. (OK and also maple syrup) (but I'm trying to cut down) (It's sooooo good)

I haven't tried mashing it up and cooking it with the oats! This must be fixed.

Almonds!
    post28!

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    I have, recently, completely changed my eating habits. Hopefully for the better! It's catered to a diet plan but I get to eat so much stuff.

I am cooking a lot more from scratch and have been discovering the world of spices. Some recipes require me to do things I would never have thought to do but they turn out pretty tasty. For example, pea curry. I am not a good cook but what comes out of the kitchen is usually edible.

My current loves at the moment are strawberries and mullerlight yoghurts! I also adore very lean frying steak and king prawns cooked in balsamic vinegar and served on salad. I have a whole new found respect for balsamic vinegar. However, I'm still trying to get the courage up to put balsamic vinegar in my diet lemonade. Apparently it tastes exactly like Pimms.

re: bananas in porridge - I slice it up longways then into semi-circles and plonk it in at the end of cooking, giving it a few minutes to warm through. I think I've put it straight in from the start before though, but it's been SO LONG.

This morning I did strawberry and dried apricot porridge, it was good times. Chopped strawberries warmed through in porridge - AMAZING.

re: baby carrots - I used to love carrots, but I must've OD'd on them because I'm finding them a bit sickly recently. I'm all about the broccoli at the moment. My steamer should just be called The Broccoli Machine.

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT Stumpy's Avatar
    I did also near the end but I wasn't sure about it, but it has so much potential that I'm trying again tomorrow with more cinnamon. Also it's quicker than mashing it up with a fork.

I LOVE BROCOLLI. It really has become one of my favourites. I love to shove a load in carbonara*, yum yum yum.

* Obviously not PARTICULARLY healthy although I do use light cream, wholemeal pasta and bulk it up with a bazillion veg.

Oh! Pasta meals! If you're trying to cut down on calories/carbs, the 'zucchini noodles' trick is a good one. Just finely chop/mandolin a zucchini into noodles or strips and use them to replace some of your pasta. It's more interesting than straight-up pasta, far less calories, AND one of your 5-a-day! *****the moar u kno

Recently I've taken to steamed broccoli and cauliflower with a bit of cottage cheese on 'em. Like a much healthier vegetable cheese bake/cauliflower cheese.

Nutmeg is good times in porridge too. I always go for cinnamon and nutmeg if bananas are involved. Apple and cinnamon porridge is pretty awesome as well.