Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthy eats

OK, speaking of cottage cheese (we are such excited little squirrels in here, aren't we), has anyone ever put it on a baked sweet potato? I tried this the other night with a little butter and paprika (again, courtesy of that amazing cottage cheese page) and it was revelatory. REVELATORY.

I will try this zucchini pasta trick!

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT Stumpy's Avatar
    Is there ANYTHING you won't put in porridge, Mans?

I may consider zucchini noodles but I'm not sure how I feel about zucchini.

Courgette pasta is good. I use a peeler to make the 'noodles' then lightly saute. Served under a scrummy, low-fat, tomato-based, vege-filled sauce, you can't tell the difference.

(in fact, I once posted that recipe on @ for Meesh)

Ooh, I like that, because courgettes are alright AND they're in season.

Icon15

Zucchini sounds more exciting. Zucchini bread! Nicer than...courgette bread. Either way, best bread, amirite?

Kim, I will put any and all fruit in porridge, basically. I have a list of ideas, even. I also want to make it with chai tea instead of milk and water!

H - I cut sweet potato into chunks and steam it, and yes, this too has fallen under THE COTTAGE CHEESE VEIL. Sweet potato + baby plum tomatoes + cottage cheese = om nom nom nom nom. I've also heard of people using cottage cheese as part of a filling for halved, baked butternut squash 'cups.' This excites me.

I lost 13 pounds from last year(found out today) by just cutting out processed foods. (lean cuisine, fast foodie egg sandwiches, etc.)

I have tea, eggs cooked in olive oil (alternated with egg whites), sourdough bread for breakfast

lunch and or dinner I gravitate towards chickpeas, whole wheat noodles, frozen veggies, (fish if I have the time to cook it)
    and I snack on almonds and greek yogurt through out the day to maintain and prevent my heartburn.

and I cook in extra virgin olive oil....I kicked butter and all the fake butters out of my diet.

there is no home without you hollerskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I add Kashi Go Lean Crisp (Berry Crumble!) and some fresh berries. This is great after a workout too.
    we call it bumble berry, and yes, it's the best kashi evar!

there is no home without you hollerskates's Avatar
    *reposted from @ since i wrote it the day of the big switch*

muffins. if you can keep from eating them before the next day. i was just talking about this on facebook. those little dry packages of muffin mix in the grocery store? we used to eat those all the time. blueberry. raspberry. ahem, chocolate chip. and one day, i got to reading the package. why i hadn't before, who knows? but the fruit bits in there aren't even fruit. it's artificially flavored fake impostorific fruit looking bits. so, now we grab the good old fashioned honey bran mix that's loaded with fiber, and we add our own fresh fruit and nuts and such. tonight i made honey bran cranberry orange muffins. just a little orange extract and fresh whole cranberries and voila! i didn't have an orange on hand or i would have added some orange zest. but next day muffins are a great ready to go snack.

That would no way work for me, Holly! I have ZERO self control when it comes to muffins and cupcakes. Your recipes sound delish though!

I have successfully made a switch to whole wheat pasta that I am proud of. I went for over a year on whole wheat, but then I ventured back to white. Lately, I have been cooking a 1/2 the portion of pasta I would usually have and sauteing fresh veggies into the mix (usually zucchini, asparagus, onion and a few roughly diced vine tomatoes). It's quick, easy and far better than just straight pasta.

Everyone here is on a broccoli kick? It's asparagus for me!

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    I am on a green beans kick myself. I throw a bit of chili powder at them and eat them constantly.

Mansdrew, you confused me with your AMERICANISMS. Fie!

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    Cottage cheese has also worked itself into my diet lately. I used to abhor the stuff but that's probably because I was eating it with nothing in it or with it. I've used it to make "no pastry" quiches and 'healthy' pate type stuff and it's been tasty.

I always want to make a no-pastry quiche. Or even a regular quiche. Quiche is amazing, and it'd be even more amazing with cottage cheese, I'm betting.

TODAY'S PORRIDGE, btw, was strawberry and blueberry. Lovely. I also discovered yesterday that Camden Food Company do porridge to go (and are really good for having nutritional information hugely and obviously signposted!) - obviously more expensive that making it yourself, but if I were commuting often I think I'd end up plaguing them every morning. It warms my heart to know that commuters could be having porridge on the go instead of a greasy McDonald's breakfast every morning (when everyone knows those are reserved ONLY for the few days a year when you're too disorientated to even be ashamed and need the grease and fake food to function).

Mans, I've been meaning to link you to this for ages. It is porridge geekery: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...rfect-porridge

I cannot find the porridge they say is best, but I do use Flavaghan's Organic oats and they are wonderful. Now then, a question: Normal or jumbo oats?