Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthy eats

I buy Jordan's organic. I've had their jumbo oats too, and they were fine - I love porridge, but I'm not really a snob about it (just stay the fuck away from instant powder shit ffs). I don't really notice much of a difference between brands, but it's never something I've invested a lot of time or money in. I'd rather the cash went towards fresh fruit to add to it, but I suppose I should look into this stuff.

And yeah, that article! Whiskey porridge is something I've wanted to do for ages.

I freaking love asparagus! I flash cook it in a pan with a little soy sauce, delish!
    And I've even been eating small bits of broccoli here and there, something I never thought I would do. I'm trying to work myself up to a real serving.

I bought a spinach, feta & tomato quiche last week! It was heaven.

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Custard View Post
    I always want to make a no-pastry quiche. Or even a regular quiche. Quiche is amazing, and it'd be even more amazing with cottage cheese, I'm betting.
    No-pastry quiche is technically a glorified omelette. I kid myself into thinking it really is quiche by making them very deep. Best thing about quiche is you can throw everything in and it WORKS. I had some leftover precut mediterranian vegetables from asda (I'd roasted the others the night before) and I stuck it in the food processor with garlic, chillies, mushrooms, black pepper and some red pepper cottage cheese. Throw the eggs in there too and voila!

I just can't get into quiche. Hubby loves it but I never make it.

I've been on a broccoli kick. Saute some sliced garlic in about 1 tsp of olive oil, add fresh broccoli after rinsing it, throw a lid on the pan and let it steam for about 3 minutes, then eat.

I'm a fan of pumpkin pie porridge. Just add pureed pumpkin & pumpkin pie spices. Yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarella View Post
    I freaking love asparagus! I flash cook it in a pan with a little soy sauce, delish!
    And I've even been eating small bits of broccoli here and there, something I never thought I would do. I'm trying to work myself up to a real serving.
    Lahv lahv lahv asparagus. And no kidding, I have a huge serving of broccoli every day. It's my favourite and I have to make an effort to only have it at one meal time so other vegetables get a fighting chance.

Pumpkin pie porridge! I want to try that this autumn/winter, but I don't know that canned pumpkin is easily found here, so I might have to make my own puree and can it up.

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT Stumpy's Avatar
    Pumpkin pie porridge sounds like heaven.

Do you know who hates porridge? My mum. Imagine hating porridge. You can't, can you? No. It's the texture or something, apparently she hates hummus too (CRAZY). But she eats Mullerrice and it's not THAT dis-similar. SO, I made her try my porridge and she was nearly sick. OOPS.

ALSO I LOVE QUICHE. I've made some meal plans for next week and quiche features quite heavily. I love loading it up with broccoli, tomatoes and onions so that it's more veg than anything else. I don't like it too eggy, and the ones bought from shops are GRIM. But I adore homemade quiche.

One of Tesco's is good, but I forget which. Cheddar and shallot? It's usually the processed cubes of meat in them that makes me feel uneasy.

There are SO MANY food phobias I don't understand. My mum can't stand to eat bananas. Sometimes she decides she needs to, and then forces herself to eat one. It takes about half an hour and is maddening to watch. I don't get it at all, because I can eat even a large banana in about 10 seconds flat if the "stop inserting food and chew" switch in my brain is off.

I don't think she can cope with cereal and milk together, either. And she finds porridge horrible and boring! I made some up for her with spices and things added for extra flavour, and it still took her an absolute age to eat half a bowl before leaving it.

WHO CAN'T EAT A BANANA THEY'RE AMAZING. You unzip them and eat the insides!

I have a phobia for mushrooms. They look like slugs, I hate them. It's actually not a big deal 'cause I don't even like the taste - I'm not missing out. But I used to hate the texture onions as well so I had to work really hard to get over that because they're the best vegetable ever. I am better now.

I have a family friend who appears to not be able to eat real meat unless it is buried in a sauce. We think it's because she lives off nothing but processed food. Bizarre and sad.

I know three people at work who refuse to eat any green veg unless its in a salad covered in dressing/cheese, and also people who think seafood is the grossest thing ever. Why? Fish sticks. They were forced to eat fish sticks and that made them food averse to any seafood. WTF.

But fish sticks are amazing! See also, chick sticks. CHILDHOOD STAPLES.

I will probably lose all respect for a person who tells me they "don't like vegetables." I've met people like this before. I mean, c'mon, even my brother, a person who lives mainly on pizza, microwave meals, pastries and crisps, will add fresh mushrooms and spring onions to stuff. Even HE will eat a brussell sprout and enjoy it. What is wrong with you??

Due to a little heat wave and no desire to turn on the oven I made a cold veggie pizza recently. It is very versitile and was a huge hit with my kids which is a win for me.

You need:
    • a pre-made already baked pizza crust - whole wheat is fine
    • plain cream cheese - which I mixed herbs and spices into
    • chopped veggies of your choice - we used cucumbers, broccoli, carrots, green onions, cherry tomatoes and yellow peppers
    • shedded chedder cheese (optional)

Just spread the herbed cream cheese lightly on the pizza crust. Add veggies to your liking. Sprinkle with a bit of shredded chedder. Makes for a quick, light summery meal.

omg, bear, that is BRILLIANT! I am definitely trying that.

I'm not sympathetic to picky eaters. I try, oh darn, I try but I am not. Texture issues, flavour issues, scent issues, I don't care! I'm the sort who will try anything once, even if it seems unappealing. My sister urges at the mention of bananas and my dad's expression can only be described as "I-smell-a-fart face" at the mere suggestion he should try some fresh veg.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    and also people who think seafood is the grossest thing ever. Why? Fish sticks. They were forced to eat fish sticks and that made them food averse to any seafood. WTF.
    I think seafood is the grossest thing ever! Just the smell of it is enough to send me into a gagging fit. My parents like seafood (read: grilled salmon, etc...no fried stuff in our house), but to this day I can't stand the smell, taste, or texture of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foster View Post
    I'm not sympathetic to picky eaters. I try, oh darn, I try but I am not. Texture issues, flavour issues, scent issues, I don't care! I'm the sort who will try anything once, even if it seems unappealing.
    idk, that's pretty insensitive really. Some people can't help having proper phobias about things. It's not like they just don't like them, some of them get really anxious about it. I've a friend who has a lot of phobias and would love to enjoy more vegetables because she has ME and it would help her a great deal, but she just can't bring herself to eat them.

Also I wouldn't eat offal. That's my line in the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    idk, that's pretty insensitive really. Some people can't help having proper phobias about things. It's not like they just don't like them, some of them get really anxious about it. I've a friend who has a lot of phobias and would love to enjoy more vegetables because she has ME and it would help her a great deal, but she just can't bring herself to eat them.

Also I wouldn't eat offal. That's my line in the sand.
    Oh, absolutely. It's a negative trait that I have to work on & I know it. I guess what bothers me most is not someone being picky but someone whining about it. I know that my sis-in-law hates kidney beans, for example, so I don't cook meals that include them when she's visiting, however I don't want to hear her going on and on about how seeing one could make her potentially vomit all over my table. Mmmm.... beans & vomit. That's really what I want to be talking about over dinner!