Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthy eats

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    Apparently a lot of people dislike cilantro because they have some sort of genetic predisposition to smell/taste only certain notes of cilantro, and often describe it as "soapy."

Weird stuff.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

^ interesting.

There is a genetic component to love or loathing for brussels sprouts and other brassicas to.

The Brussel Sprout Gene

I love sprouts and coriander.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    Rawcos! Radicchio "shells" filled with julienne jicama and carrot, sliced avocado, chopped green onion and cilantro and pureed tomatillo.

I loooove cilantro! Always do extra in my salsa, pico de gallo, and guac.

I found this fruit infused water on Pinterest. I am going to pick up some fruit and give it a try this week. While I like the Mio water enhancer stuff, it is just a load of chemicals and leaves an aftertaste of such, so for a change from water I hope this works out.

I'm not crazy about cilantro, but I don't hate it. I rarely buy it and almost always omit it when it's an ingredient in a recipe I'm trying. It's overpowering to me - no matter how little I use, it's all I can taste.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I love cilantro AND brussels! So much.
    Me too, me too. If you've never tried roasting brussels sprouts in the oven with salt and olive oil, do it immediately. SO GOOD.

Like This:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...pe2/index.html
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Alan View Post
    Me too, me too. If you've never tried roasting brussels sprouts in the oven with salt and olive oil, do it immediately. SO GOOD.

Like This:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...pe2/index.html

I lurv brussel sprouts so much. I'm going to try that recipe, I need to be able to enjoy these without bathing them in butter first.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    When I was a child, I really didn't care for brussels sprouts. This was unimportant to my stepmother, who loved them and served them frequently. If I did not finish them, they were put in the fridge and I was given them to eat for breakfast. Cold. Because of this, I have not eaten brussels sprouts on purpose in about twenty years. I know they're probably delicious, my mother raves about the ones my stepfather makes (she had a similar childhood hatred for them and used to hide them under her bed!), but I just can't get past the memory of the taste of cold, day old brussels sprouts.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I turned my mom onto Brussels this Xmas! I roasted them with olive oil, maple syrup and bacon.
    Throwing bacon in the mix is gonna turn anyone on to anything I would imagine.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by Churumbela View Post
    If I did not finish them, they were put in the fridge and I was given them to eat for breakfast. Cold. Because of this, I have not eaten brussels sprouts on purpose in about twenty years.
    i can totally imagine that that put you off of brussels sprouts indefinitely... i didn't like them as a child either, but i did not have to eat them if i did not want to, and now they are one of my favourite vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterDew View Post
    but i did not have to eat them if i did not want to, and now they are one of my favourite vegetables.
    If only my mother had realized this. Instead, she managed to make me completely hate several things (endives, arugula, lima beans, blackeye peas, vinegar-based salad dressing, cooked spinach and other greens, brussel sprouts, asparagus) that otherwise I probably would have liked. But sitting at the dinner table until 9pm, sullenly chewing and gagging on endives and whatnot permanently ruined a lot of these things for me. I think if I hadn't been forced to eat them I probably would've acquired a taste for them.

Some of them I can eat now, but endives in particular are somewhat triggering.

My parents tried that with peas, I can eat them now and they don't seem to taste so nauseating, but really, I'd rather not.

They gave up after one night where I couldn't leave the table until they were All Gone. I swallowed them like pills with milk, until I caught a little taste and whoops! Barfed all over my plate. It wasn't as disgusting as it sounds, just whole peas in a pool of milk.

Kids are supposed to be more sensitive to strong tastes, like bitterness, since bitter is a warning for poison and kids are more likely to suffer or die. So yes, they do grow out of it.

Sprouts! I made the sprouts with shallots and caraway recipe here as part of our Christmas dinner and it was fucking amazing. I've done it with a bit of balsamic tossed in as well and that was nice too.

I'm just now reading about this person and her diet, this was passed on by a couple of friends, including one friend who has MS.

The main premise of her dietary recommendations, apart from that given for the Paleo diet in general, is that this diet supports the whole body and especially the mitochondria in all your cells. Mitochondria are membrane-enclosed organelles within the cells. Their function is to produce energy in the form of ATP (from ADP) through respiration, and to regulate cellular metabolism.Many nutrients are required in order for the mitochondria to do what they do – nutrients in which our modern diet is sorely deficient, but the paleo diet has in abundance. These nutrients include, but are not limited to: vitamins, minerals (including calcium, magnesium, zinc, sulfur, selenium, iodine and more), flavonoids and polyphenols, vital protein, and omega-3/omega-6 fatty acids in proper balance.
    Thus Dr. Wahls says, “Eat for your mitochondria.
    A summary of the daily hunter-gatherer diet:

This summary is according to Dr. Terry Walls, from her video (above).
    [Note: 3 cups fills a dinner plate.]
    • 3 cups per day of green leaves, especially dark green leafy veggies like kale;
    • 3 cups per day of sulfur-rich vegetables, including cabbage family, onion family, mushrooms and asparagus;
    • 3 cups per day of colorful veggies and berries, including beets, carrots, blueberries, raspberries, etc.;
    • daily animal protein- and Omega-3 fat- rich meat from wild fish and pasture-fed animals;
    • once a week: organ meats such as liver, heart, gizzards, kidneys and sweetbreads; also eyes;
    • once a week: seaweed.
    It's interesting to me, because it's not far from what my diet is already.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    damn, i was on board until "organ meats and seaweed" lol. I'll just supplement my omegas and dha.

I'm making more quinoa tonight! Same recipe, but maybe adding chicken. Quinoa and meat doesnt sound too hot though. I think my next venture will be curry quinoa.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up