Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast

Thread: Healthy eats

fluid, affectionate, chaste, mature Mackerel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by julius ebola View Post
    Anyone want to talk about manuka honey or raw honeys? I recently purchased a jar of Manuka and it has completely changed my mind about honey as a foodstuff. I love this stuff - the depth and taste is absolutely different from the cheap clear honeys I've had previously and the alleged health benefits that separate Manuka from other honeys are certainly intriguing.
    I've been meaning to get some decent honey (i.e. honey that doesn't come in a clear plastic bear) and now you've inspired me. Acacia honey here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by Churumbela View Post
    There's a really cool study we tried to enroll a patient to that was testing whether Manuka honey would reduce the risk of radiation-induced esophagitis for patients receiving radiation for lung cancer. Honey has some amazing properties, and I'd love to taste the Manuka kind (we didn't get any free samples or anything. )
    Yeah, apparently the Manuka is highly effective as a topical agent in wound healing. I did a bit of research into this before buying and a NPA (Non-Peroxide anti-bacterial Activity) rating of between 10 and 15 is considered the medically effective range - anything below is still delicious but lacks the same range of health benefits. It's all very interesting to me. I definitely recommend trying a jar just for the taste though. It's seriously delicious stuff. I bought a jar of Rowse brand NPA 10 Manuka at my local supermarket. It was seriously pricey (like, er, £11 a jar) but worth it. I've decided it's going to be my luxury food item for the forseeable future.

I've been meaning to get some decent honey (i.e. honey that doesn't come in a clear plastic bear) and now you've inspired me. Acacia honey here I come!
    Yes, I'd only ever had the squeezy plastic tube version of honey before and always thought it was a bit rank tbqh. The good stuff is so different. I believe a lot of the squeezy mass-market clear stuff is produced in China and adulterated with HFCS too - another reason to avoid it.

I'm getting myself a jar of this stuff too. Can't wait to wrap my face around it.

Honey is amazing. It's my saving grace when my voice gets tired from singing long days at work too. Honey, ginger and lemon in hot water is my cold remedy too. But the honey I get here is Irish honey, and you get some very good quality stuff just as standard in the supermarkets. You can get Manuka honey also quite easily, but it is rather pricey. But we usually have a jar of it at home as well as the day to day honey. I use it so much - in teas, on porridge... you name it.

I have sooooo much honey! My brother and his wife have taken up beekeeping, and they have two hives, so I'm always getting jars of honey. I hardly know what to do with it, though I do like to mix it with peanut butter on whole wheat toast.

Never thought about using it on oats (I assume that's what you mean by porridge?).

^ yep! it's delicious on porridge oats, and is one of the traditional sweeteners used on it here in Ireland.

And honey glazes are wonderful for roasting anything. It's a very versatile ingredient indeed. I know people who make facial scrubs/masks using it!

Quote Originally Posted by JayPeaches View Post
    I have sooooo much honey! My brother and his wife have taken up beekeeping, and they have two hives, so I'm always getting jars of honey. I hardly know what to do with it...
    You could send some to me!

Honey is always the thing I don't have when I want it. It's been a pain in the ass to find quality stuff here in California lately because of a huge die-off of bees But this thread has reminded me to get my ass to the co-op and get some!
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I put honey into my Greek yogurt to sweeten it up a bit. Also, I've been using a mask of honey and almond extract for many years and it helps make my skin look and feel amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    I put honey into my Greek yogurt to sweeten it up a bit. Also, I've been using a mask of honey and almond extract for many years and it helps make my skin look and feel amazing.
    Her beauty secret is out!

(also, greek yogurt & honey is utterly delicious!)

ok so back to some juice drama... i'm not doing the fast/diet etc, but i'm looking to keep some homemade juices (fruit and veggie, or a mix of both etc)on hand. As much as I'm putting more veggies into our diets, I can't force feed them to the husband and kid, so if I can get them to drink a juice then YAY. I'm having a hell of a time finding a recipe book in the stores that isn't all OMG JUICING DIET for 99% of the book, because I honestly don't give 2 shits about that. Anyone have some good websites/tasty recipes to pass on?

I also would love some raw/vegan/vegetarian recipes that are not soy/tofu based as I'd love to reduce my (and the family in general's) meat consumption.

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Becka View Post
    I also would love some raw/vegan/vegetarian recipes that are not soy/tofu based as I'd love to reduce my (and the family in general's) meat consumption.
    I love this blog: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/. I think most of the stuff posted in this thread is actually meat-free. I love making a big pot of beans that last for several days...they're also really cheap.

Millet makes a really great minced beef substitute for chili. I normally use two or three types of bean, sweet peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and plenty of fresh chili peppers as I like them hot. Scotch Bonnet FTW! Add a handful of millet and allow to simmer. It ends up really filling and nutritious. I saw the idea in a recipe book years ago but now just make them up as I go along.

I can highly recommend Leah Leneman and Rose Elliot's veggie/vegan recipe books.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

I usually add quinoa for a meat sub. in my chili which has always turned out nice. i will have to try millet though. the bulk place nearby has it

i book marked that site and will be digging. I need to go through this thread thoroughly as well. I have a friend who is a raw vegan, which I don't think I could ever do, but I made plans with her earlier to go over some quick and easy recipes in her kitchen. I told her she needs to run some workshops with her friends -lol-

Quote Originally Posted by just owls View Post
    This is the best vegetarian chili I've ever had, and the most satisfying. The bulgur really helps make it more filling. It's even meat-lover approved in my experience. Even better topped with some diced avocado. I've been eating it almost daily for lunch for a few months now and never get sick of it.
    That looks really good! I'll be trying that.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Anyone want to talk about manuka honey or raw honeys? I recently purchased a jar of Manuka and it has completely changed my mind about honey as a foodstuff. I love this stuff - the depth and taste is absolutely different from the cheap clear honeys I've had previously and the alleged health benefits that separate Manuka from other honeys are certainly intriguing.

I'm about the spring for some very interesting raw Greek thyme and fir honeys right now. I'm addicted! Anyone like to recommend their own favourites?
    Quote Originally Posted by Churumbela View Post
    There's a really cool study we tried to enroll a patient to that was testing whether Manuka honey would reduce the risk of radiation-induced esophagitis for patients receiving radiation for lung cancer. Honey has some amazing properties, and I'd love to taste the Manuka kind (we didn't get any free samples or anything. )
    Yeah, apparently the Manuka is highly effective as a topical agent in wound healing. I did a bit of research into this before buying and a NPA (Non-Peroxide anti-bacterial Activity) rating of between 10 and 15 is considered the medically effective range - anything below is still delicious but lacks the same range of health benefits. It's all very interesting to me. I definitely recommend trying a jar just for the taste though. It's seriously delicious stuff. I bought a jar of Rowse brand NPA 10 Manuka at my local supermarket. It was seriously pricey (like, er, £11 a jar) but worth it. I've decided it's going to be my luxury food item for the forseeable future.

Yes, I'd only ever had the squeezy plastic tube version of honey before and always thought it was a bit rank tbqh. The good stuff is so different. I believe a lot of the squeezy mass-market clear stuff is produced in China and adulterated with HFCS too - another reason to avoid it.

I'm getting myself a jar of this stuff too. Can't wait to wrap my face around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by just owls View Post
    I used Manuka honey years ago as an acne treatment when all OTC and prescriptions failed me. It did great things for me, but the price was so much for the amount I was using, and I couldn't afford it anymore. I've recently started using plain raw white honey as a mask and rinsing it off after 10-15 minutes, and it's doing the same thing for much less. It doesn't taste as nice, though. I'm partial to local unfiltered honeys, especially Some Honey Orange Blossom. For years I thought I hated honey, until I stopped using the stuff in the squeeze bottle. It tastes absolutely nothing like the real deal, and I don't find you need as much of it. I barely put 1/2 tsp in a cup of tea and it's plenty sweet.

That vanilla honey sounds incredible! I must look for something like that in the states, though I'm even tempted to order some.
    Oh! I'm so glad to see a discussion here about Manuka honey. I just ordered a jar off Amazon. It was super expensive, but I'm about to lose my mind over my stomach problems to the point where I'm willing to spend $45 on a jar of honey hoping it will do something for me. I've read so many amazing things about Manuka and how it has helped many, many people with chronic gastritis. Here's hoping!
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

I just noticed today that I can get Manuka honey at my local Co-Op! $20 a jar... but I'm soooooo tempted!

I picked up some local honey, that is made from bees that get pollen from Avocado blossoms! It's citrusy and so good in my tea ... I also found ginger syrup (made by "The Ginger People") and I'm excited. My tummy will be so happy
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.