Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast

Thread: Healthy eats

My (refurbished) vita-mix has finally shipped! Does anyone have any good recipes/programs for a 3-day juice/smoothie Cleanse?

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPeaches View Post
    My (refurbished) vita-mix has finally shipped! Does anyone have any good recipes/programs for a 3-day juice/smoothie Cleanse?
    Where did you order a refurb? from the manufacturer? I want one soooo badly but don't have the $$ atm

Vitamix.com has refurbs.

[ validated ]
    I've been making smoothies for years, but I'm finally starting to juice. Tonight was my second time. I juiced a bunch of broccoli, celery, carrots and spinach.. and then I blended strawberry, mango, banana, orange juice and a little agave and whip cream separately (like I'm making a smoothie) and mixed it all together. Very refreshing! I think it'll be a great way to make sure I don't waste produce from the garden next summer.

I'm finally starting to come to my senses and eat healthier. I'd kill for a pizza right now but anyway...

My sister turned me on to the spaghetti squash idea. I don't like any kind of squash/pumpkin/gourd so I was suspicious. Surprisingly it works great as a pasta substitute. I've been making homemade tomato sauce and using ground turkey breast in place of ground beef or sausage.

Someone told me you can use zucchini to make bigger "noodles." Has anyone tried this? If so, what's the process?

oops dp

Quote Originally Posted by Mori View Post
    there's this girl on youtube that is a raw foodie and she uses a spiralizer to make the "noodles":

I was kind of knocking the whole "raw food diet" thing, but after watching a few of her videos, it looks pretty good! You do have to pay $24 for a year's subscription to see all of her recipes online. I do want to invest in a Vitamix since I want to incorporate more fresh juice/smoothies in my diet.

Banned
    One question I would have for people here would be what is your attitude/philosophy when it comes to "processed" foods. I'm of course familiar with that term but I never gave much thought to it until recently. And most everything readily available in a regular grocery store is processed in some form or another, right?

So, do you have any kind of guidelines you use as to limiting processing foods, or what types of processing are truly so negative that they should be avoided altogether, what types of processing you're okay with, etc....?

“Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food.”
    Michael Pollan

But it depends what you call "processing." As this article points out, a peeled banana is "processed." Getting your banana peeled might be more expensive, but it's not necessarily bad for you. So there are two things that affect my decisions about process food, one is the cost, it's always more expensive - but it saves time! Two, it can have all kinds of stuff in it you might want to avoid, if you're on a low sodium diet for example, that means most processed food is off the table.

I probably wouldn't buy any processed food with more than one ingredient (frozen vegetables for example) but there are some things out there that are pretty good and sooo convenient that I have a few in the freezer for backup.

If the food processing is something I can't do myself in my kitchen, I tend to avoid it. E.g., fake sausage patties made of isolated plant sources and binder chemicals? No. Butter? Well I could churn that myself if I really wanted to... So, ok.

I love that Michael Pollan quote. It really is a useful guide.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    I know a lot of people who eat "clean," meaning nothing comes out of a box. If it's got a label with a list of ingredients, then it's processed. I try to eat as many whole foods throughout the day as possible - lots of fruits and veg! But I have to have my box of gluten free crackers and hummus available at all times, so...everything in moderation!
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

I kept a food diary for 2 weeks just for curiosity's sake - I always assumed ai eat well, but I was pretty shocked at the lack of protein and the glut of sugar in my diet- looks like I live on brown rice, fruit and salad vegetables So I started to add protein at every meal but am not massively into meat and there's only so much tofu I can face. Anybody got any tasty non-meat protein ideas/recipes?

Are you willing to eat eggs? They're a great source of protein and there's a lot you can do with them.

Lentils, beans and other pulses. Beans & Rice = classic.

I tend to mix some lentils and dry split peas into my rice so that any time I cook rice there's going to be some protein goodness in there as well.

And keep a variety of nuts around. Add them into your salads.

Different kinds of grains are good too. Quinoa, millet, cous-cous, barley and spelt are all yummy, nutritious and loaded with protein.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."