Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

The Smashing Pumpkins

Fans here? Thoughts on the past and the present?

I'm surprised how good the new Teargarden ep-project has been so far. Tom Tom, The Fellowship, Spangled... great tunes, which prove Corgan's still got it.

I love the Pumpkins. I've been a fan for over 10 years now and I have never really wavered in my how much I enjoy their music. Even Zeitgeist who a lot of people hated I really enjoyed. Overall I would probably say that Zeitgeist and Machina are my two most played albums actually!

I think the Teargarden project is a really interesting one too. 44 songs released for free over the course of a few years is a concept that's worked very well for me so far. As nice as it is to get a full album every couple of years, getting one or a couple of new songs at the time keeps my interest level up for longer. I have liked all the new songs so far, but my favourites will have to be The Fellowship, Tom Tom, Freak and A Stitch In Time. I don't think I will buy any of the EPs released as I just wouldn't listen to them when I have the songs as mp3s, but I think I will definitely buy the final complete album(s) when it's released.

Wow I'm totally out of the loop with the Smashing Pumpkins. Have just downloaded and will give them a spin!

That's why I love this place - always someone helpfully points out what I've missed.

my top 10 for what it's worth!

Mayonaise
    Thru The Eyes Of Ruby
    Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
    Disarm
    Tonight, Tonight
    Galapogos
    Muzzle
    Thirty-Three
    Ava Adore

and notable others:
    Siva
    Rhinoceros
    Soma
    Rocket
    Love

Quote Originally Posted by nathan murgas View Post
    Wow I'm totally out of the loop with the Smashing Pumpkins.
    Same here. After Zeitgeist I just kinda gave up on them. I'm listening to Tom Tom right now and I must admit it sounds quite good. A lot more melodic than the monotonous drab that was Zeitgeist.

Anyhoo, Siamese Dream is the perfect rock album and one of my 'ZOMG FAVE ALBUMS EVER'. Mellon Collie is simply epic. Adore is vastly underrated and imo the last good album they made. 90's pumpkins were absolutely brilliant! 2000 pumpkins, ehhhh, not so much
    post28!

Wow, for a project that depends on free digital distribution, they sure have one butt-ugly shitty website!!!
    post28!

My favourite albums are Mellon Collie, Adore and Machina. Zeitgeist was a somewhat let down but it has its moments (That’s the Way, Ma Belle, Stellar). American Gothic-EP from 2008 is worth checking out for The Rose March alone.

For those out of the loop, Teargarden by Kaleidyscope is a project of 44 individual songs being released one track at a time through free MP3 downloads over the course of several years paving way for a box set of 11 EP’s. So far two (great) physical EP’s have been released in 2010.
    Seen them live two times (in 2000 and 2008) and both shows were just great!

Quote Originally Posted by Wout View Post
    Anyhoo, Siamese Dream is the perfect rock album and one of my 'ZOMG FAVE ALBUMS EVER'. Mellon Collie is simply epic. Adore is vastly underrated and imo the last good album they made. 90's pumpkins were absolutely brilliant! 2000 pumpkins, ehhhh, not so much
    I could have written this post - my thoughts exactly. I had forgotten how much my siblings loved the Pumpkins, but around Christmastime this year I popped in Siamese Dream and we all got a bit nostalgic - it's just one of those albums that will never get old to me. Same with Mellon Collie, those two together were such amazing works of art in music.

I purchased Zeitgeist and listen to it once in a great while, but it just doesn't catch me on an emotional level like MCIS and Siamese Dream did. Even Gish and Pisces Iscariot were awesome in their own ways, although it may just be pure nostalgia for me on those.
    I love you, Kenwood! Why don't you come back home to TGS and pick the peas out of my fried rice? And the rice. I just want carrots.

Adore is my personal fav. It's just so beautiful... and the vid for Ava Adore is one of the best vids ever made, IMO.

Also, Disarm is one of the most powerful songs out there. It blows me away every time I listen.

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuin78 View Post
    My favourite albums are Mellon Collie, Adore and Machina.
    !!

Machina gets a lot of shit, but it's maybe my favorite. Siamese Dream comes pretty close though.

I actually liked some of Zeitgeist ("That's the Way" and "Doomsday Clock" are ) but it didn't feel like the Pumpkins at all. I have yet to listen to any of the newest stuff.

I listened to Siamese Dream today, and then Mellon Collie tonight when I was painting. I was almost surprised by how excited I still get when I hear the beginnings of some of these songs. I popped in the Bullet With Butterfly Wings single and listened to the covers that they did for "Clones" (Alice Cooper), "Destination Unknown" (Missing Persons) and "Dreaming" (Blondie). I had completely forgotten how amazing these covers are - they are some of my favorite songs from that era of Pumpkins.

I got a little misty listening to MCIS. Cupid De Locke has always had a very Christmas type feel to me. This is almost surely due to nostalgia since as a teenager I would lay on our living room couch listening to this CD and staring at the lights on the christmas tree. I think the sound of the song really sticks that image in my mind, it's like the audio version of twinkling stars. Anyway, the album as a whole just reminds me of being a teenager and feeling like the shit of the earth, and who fucking knew that ten, twelve years later I would look back at pitiful little me on the couch and feel nostalgic and a little sad?

I thought it was interesting to learn that Billy Corgan wrote MCIS specifically with 14-24 year old youths in mind, saying that he basically revisited his youth on the album and it was his way of putting that part of his life to rest. I never thought of the significance of the lyrics when I was 16 and listening to the album, but it really makes perfect sense. I almost wish Corgan would revisit his youth again and put out another album of such epic proportions. But hell, I can never be 16 again listening to the Pumpkins for the first time either.
    I love you, Kenwood! Why don't you come back home to TGS and pick the peas out of my fried rice? And the rice. I just want carrots.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumbleine View Post
    But hell, I can never be 16 again listening to the Pumpkins for the first time either.
    I think that's a big reason for me not enjoying his post Adore output that much. The benchmark is pretty untouchable, right?

(Pee Ess, I too listened to a lot of SD the last few days )
    post28!

Quote Originally Posted by Wout View Post
    I think that's a big reason for me not enjoying his post Adore output that much. The benchmark is pretty untouchable, right?
    Holy shit, yes. He set the bar incredibly high for himself with the success (musically and financially) of SD and MCIS. I still like Adore, mostly for a few select songs (and I kind of love that 1979 and Perfect are sister-songs with matching sister-videos), but I went through and listened to Machina - or tried to - I basically skipped through the CD, listening to snatches of songs and then bouncing to the next one in search of "that one song" that I liked from the album. Turns out I didn't actually like any of them all that much.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumbleine View Post
    But hell, I can never be 16 again listening to the Pumpkins for the first time either.
    Its quite interesting for me because I have just left a life of mortgages and commitment and working 40 hr weeks to live back at home with my parents and go to university. All the music from my teenager-hood - like Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, RHCP, Soundgarden et al - have suddenly come back to my mind. After going off on a tangent musically in my mid-twenties with I am completely drawn back to those good old 90's alt rock bands that spoke so much to me then. I am quite seriously 31 going on 17!! In a musical sense, at least (Lord knows the body hasn't followed that trip down memory lane!!!). So even though its not the first time listening to something like MCIS, its feels fresh again and exciting. Its kind of surreal.
    Last edited by fullofwish; 01-23-2011 at 04:30 AM.

Well hell, good for you for taking the initiative to get through school. It takes a lot to go from being independent to living back with the parents while getting through college - I know, I just did it! If I'm reading you correctly, its almost like a reboot lifestyle-wise, and musically. I imagine that listening to the Pumpkins and other '90s bands puts you in a more hopeful state of mind (if that makes sense with most '90s music that I can think of), at least I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by fullofwish View Post
    and go to university.
    Wow! Well done you!
    post28!