Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Quote Originally Posted by fullofwish View Post
    and go to university.
    Wow! Well done you!
    post28!

Quote Originally Posted by Stumbleine View Post
    I thought it was interesting to learn that Billy Corgan wrote MCIS specifically with 14-24 year old youths in mind, saying that he basically revisited his youth on the album and it was his way of putting that part of his life to rest. I never thought of the significance of the lyrics when I was 16 and listening to the album, but it really makes perfect sense. I almost wish Corgan would revisit his youth again and put out another album of such epic proportions. But hell, I can never be 16 again listening to the Pumpkins for the first time either.
    MCIS is such a half-and-half album for me. Some songs I still love and adore the way I did when I first heard them in the late 90s (I was only 11 when it was first released so didn't discover the Pumpkins until a few years later at 15) and some songs still don't really 'click' for me. Muzzle, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Tonight Tonight, Zero and Bodies always rank very highly when I think about my Top 25 Smashing Pumpkins songs ever.

Machina on the other hand was released when I was 17 and I felt songs like With Every Light, Stand Inside Your Love and Age of Innocence just corresponded really well with that I was going through at the time. This is even now the only Pumpkins album that I would ever listen to from start to finish without skipping any tracks.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    I imagine that listening to the Pumpkins and other '90s bands puts you in a more hopeful state of mind (if that makes sense with most '90s music that I can think of), at least I hope so.
    Yeah, that is definitely the case. I think I loved the sense of freedom and self-exploration that I got from a lot of that music as a teenager. I used to listen to MCIS every night going to sleep and it just made the rest of the day, even if it was shit, feel OK and like I could get up the next day and keep going. So what I love now is that even with an extra 14-odd years of experience, that music can still take me to that place. After coming home I felt pretty rotten for a long time and one day on the bus Muzzle came on and wow, did that blow the cobwebs from my system. Its like seeing an old friend again and remembering who you could be with that kind of energy around you.

The new album Oceania sounds quite alright. It won't be out until next week but is streaming online via iTunes. Can't wait to give it a decent listen!

I've heard it a bunch of times and enjoy it quite a bit. It's a mix of old and new. The lyrics are terrible, but at least it's better than Zeitgeist.

I'm just listening through the Oceania stream now. So far I quite like it and can hear bits of new and old SP in these songs.

I think I'm one of the few people who also enjoyed most of Zeitgeist, songs like 7 Shades of Black, Bring the Light, (Come On) Let's Go and Starz were probably all on my list of the songs I listened to most in 2007 when that album came out. Then again I always find songs on each album that I skip, I rarely listen to an album all the way through except for most of Machina/The Machines of God (my favourite SP album).

Wow -- this is actually great! I almost didn't even listen because I haven't liked any of the Teargarden songs but a lot of these sound like classic Pumpkins jams already!

Oceania debuts at #4 in the US this week. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuin78 View Post
    Oceania debuts at #4 in the US this week. Well done!
    That's brilliant! I'm glad a lot of fans like the new album as so many people haven't enjoyed Billy's output for years.

I've only listened to the album one time, and based on that listen the track that stood out for me was "My Love is Winter." I thought the album was average over all, but still good.

I'm truly impressed with the new album. I saw the Pumpkins on their last tour, where they played a good chunk of this material, but I still wasn't expecting a record this great. I'm enjoying it more initially than any album since Adore, and my highlights are Pinwheels, the title track, My Love is Winter, and The Celestials. I'm also impressed with how strong Billy's voice sounds here, any moment where it's him over strings or acoustic guitar sounds beautiful. The only track that isn't working for me at all is Wildflower, which is too repetitive and is a boring closer for what was an exciting album.

Billy announced that the next tour is going to be done as two sets, with the entire new album being played as one set, followed by a "classics" set. Hopefully that'll satisfy the hardcore audience as well as more casual fans, and I'm excited to hear how they'll pull off the whole new record live.

I haven't had enough money to buy the album yet, so haven't been able to listen to it properly until today when I realised you can listen to it all for free online on SPOceania.com. I agree about My Love Is Winter being a highlight on this record, The Chimera and Glissandra also stand out for me, they are both good, solid rock songs that remind me a lot of the Zwan record which I also really enjoyed.

these days just seem to crush me
    Quote Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
    Yeah, that is definitely the case. I think I loved the sense of freedom and self-exploration that I got from a lot of that music as a teenager. I used to listen to MCIS every night going to sleep and it just made the rest of the day, even if it was shit, feel OK and like I could get up the next day and keep going. So what I love now is that even with an extra 14-odd years of experience, that music can still take me to that place. After coming home I felt pretty rotten for a long time and one day on the bus Muzzle came on and wow, did that blow the cobwebs from my system. Its like seeing an old friend again and remembering who you could be with that kind of energy around you.
    wow, i couldn't have said it better. i've been listening to SD, MCIS, and adore constantly lately. i'm kind of at a point in my life where i'm almost 30 and thinkiing "what the hell am i doing with my life"?" these albums have definitely been helpful with dealing with that those sorts of feelings. i quit a job that literally sucked the soul right out of me, and thankfully found a new one that i do enjoy. but i was really considering going back to school. and now i feel that i should have gone back to school instead and kind of struggling with my decision to do a 9-5 job instead.

anyways, i only listened to a few songs from the new album, but i really don't care to listen to the rest. i NEED the old albums right now

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    ^I feel like this teenage generation will never experience that in a real way.. because the songs that get played are all sexxxed up, mtv has made everything so commercial and almost anti-art. I mean, Smashing Pumpkins, particularly, had radio and video play in such a solid rotation that even the kids who didn't care for it, better way to say it, wouldn't go out of their way to find music like that, were still exposed to it.. ah well.

When I started listening to them it was a discovery all on my own. No one came to me and said, hey this song is cool.. I just heard 1979 and was hooked.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

I got a little misty listening to MCIS. Cupid De Locke has always had a very Christmas type feel to me. This is almost surely due to nostalgia since as a teenager I would lay on our living room couch listening to this CD and staring at the lights on the christmas tree. I think the sound of the song really sticks that image in my mind, it's like the audio version of twinkling stars. Anyway, the album as a whole just reminds me of being a teenager and feeling like the shit of the earth, and who fucking knew that ten, twelve years later I would look back at pitiful little me on the couch and feel nostalgic and a little sad?

I thought it was interesting to learn that Billy Corgan wrote MCIS specifically with 14-24 year old youths in mind, saying that he basically revisited his youth on the album and it was his way of putting that part of his life to rest. I never thought of the significance of the lyrics when I was 16 and listening to the album, but it really makes perfect sense.
    wow, i seriously could have written this post myself right now.. i had the same experience today relistening to MCIS. it was really taking me back but also realizing i really connect with the lyrics more today at 31 than i did at 15-16.