Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: General Photography Chat

Icon15 General Photography Chat

Look at what I rented for a wedding shoot this weekend:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=457678&is=USA

Oh oh oh. Is that the f2.8 or f4? I would love that lens. Can't wait to see what you think of it and what you are able to capture!

It's the f4 with image stabilizer.
    I rented the f4 because I know I'd never be able to afford the f2.8 and I didn't wanna fall in love with her.

I completely understand! Exciting!

wow! I read somewhere that you needed a tripod/tripod mount for longer lenses? Would you need one for the wedding shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Wen View Post
    wow! I read somewhere that you needed a tripod/tripod mount for longer lenses? Would you need one for the wedding shoot?
    This isn't always true. Rule of thumb is that you should be able to handhold at a shutter speed of 1/focal length. So ... your 200mm telephoto should be shot no slower than 1/200. With VR (or IS, or whatever the manufacturer wants to call it), you should in theory gain anywhere from two to four stops. So you could potentially go down to 1/50 on your 200mm lens. Those with steady hands can shoot at longer shutter speeds. Also ... if you shoot a burst of photos, there tends for some reason to be at least one sharp one in the lot. To be safe, you'd use a tripod or a monopod. Sometimes you can't do that, so you just crank up the ISO and expose properly, then deal with the noise later.

I'm bringing one, but I don't know how much I'll be using it. I'll be on the move a lot.

You'll use it, 100%. How many camera bodies are you bringing?

They say: two is one, one is none.

Husband is coming as a second shooter. We both have the Rebel T2i, and we're bringing 4 lenses. So 2 bodies and 4 lenses.

You'll use it. I would try (if I could) to do long zoom, wide zoom (17-55 or similar), then primes. 50mm and either an 85mm or a 35mm. That would be my wedding wish list. My reality at present would be 10-20, 50mm, and 85mm on 3 bodies.

Oh nice glass. I've got the Canon 24-105 f/4.0 IS and a EOS-7D.

My wedding dreamlist would be another 5dm2 with a 70-200 and my current 5dm2 with my 85mm on it

Quote Originally Posted by Becka View Post
    My wedding dreamlist would be another 5dm2 with a 70-200 and my current 5dm2 with my 85mm on it
    I would have to respectfully disagree with your lens choice. In my head, wide zoom = wedding bread-and-butter. (But who am I to say? I've only ever shot one wedding!)

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    Anyone have an infrared filter? I saw some pics recently that I thought looked amazing. I was just wondering how easy they are to use.

Well, it's not the same as taking regular photos. You wind up having to compose and frame your photo without the filter on, then screw it in for your shot. That's because the filter is meant to block visible light, so you won't be able to see through it when you've got it on your lens. Also, you'll have to figure out your exposure time by the time-honoured hit-and-miss method. Expect exposure times in the vicinity of 30 seconds or thereabouts. A buddy of mine tried this, and that's about where his turned out to be for daytime shooting. Your mileage may vary.