Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: General Photography Chat

You also have to see if your camera doesn't have an IR counter internally that will cause you to not be able to shoot IR. Seems most modern cameras do, but I think some can be disabled [voiding your waranty, of course].

Going to shoot some models tonight in Orlando at an agency owned by a friend of Sean's. I wanna impress and get me a J.O.B.!

Good luck!

Does anyone know of any online/long distance developers that cross process film? I'm having trouble finding a local one.

^ Found this page which has some links for film processing (including cross-processing) in multiple countries.

Awesome, that helps a lot! I'm going to contact that place in Brooklyn. Thanks!

Absolutely stunning (and pants wettingly terrifying for me!) photographs from cave diving

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...es-photography

Concept for a digital Holga: http://www.saikatbiswas.com/web/Projects/Holga_D.htm

Interesting... no display screen, no automatic modes. It still utilizes the same shooting style w/o the element of film. I especially love the eInk display.

Interesting, yes. I'd rather (for the time being) just buy a body-cap Holga lens and pop it on my camera body.

see this part right here?

Please note. The body caps do not lock into place, you must hold the body cap in place by using your palm on the bottom of the camera and your thumb and mniddle finger holding the cap in pace when focusing.

I'm lazy enough to wait for the digital holga. -l- that and i'm clumsy

I actually DID see that. But I'd consider doing it anyhow. I'd also consider doing my own, maybe.

Craig's List is so depressing. Between people looking for a full day of wedding photography for $100 and/or "I'll pay you in dinner and booze," to "photographers" doing portrait work for literally $20, I just want to throw my hands in the air. No one values photography, and when the photographers themselves devalue photography, of course no one values it. Makes me so sick and angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Em View Post
    Craig's List is so depressing. Between people looking for a full day of wedding photography for $100 and/or "I'll pay you in dinner and booze," to "photographers" doing portrait work for literally $20, I just want to throw my hands in the air.
    People who will entice their photographer to get HAMMERED while shooting their wedding deserve the results that they're SURE to get. I find it interesting that the one physical thing that people tend to retain the longest from their wedding (their photos) is the aspect on which they're willing to compromise the most (by looking for the biggest bargain).

exactly. you get what you pay for... and I'm sure there are plenty of people out there [like me] that ARE willing to do a wedding for next to nothing just to have one to add to our portfolio, but I bet anything that there are loads more out there that think if they undercut everyone else, they're doing themselves a favor. pricing scared me in the begining too, and I am still told by pro acquaintences that I am priced way too low even now, but ... $20 for a portrait session? Comeon. That tells more about the quality of work and inexperience of the photographer than anything else. The whole thing is just so insulting [the wedding thing included] to those of us out there serious about a career in photography. If I were to drive myself to the wedding I linked above, it would be $60 just for gas alone, which leaves $40 to get paid for hours and hours of shooting and post processing not to mention the cost of equipment and other materials. "Here, let me pay YOU so I can shoot your wedding/ faimly portraits," is what it boils down to. Ridiculous.

Another thing that really pisses me off is when I've seen ads placed by working pros looking for "an intern" to act as a second shooter for the summer season and then point out that an intern is an unpaid position. Again, let me pay YOU so you can get paid. Asshole.

A pro's second shooter (I am finding) is almost always unpaid. You do get to use the images for your portfolio, which is only a small consolation. When you enter a partnership -- that's when you get paid.

I've always been told this: your prices are your prices. If you value your work, then others will do the same. This is one of the reasons I've never hung a shingle out, to be honest. High prices will scare people away. One workaround that I've considered is to do this: set your prices, then offer (for portfolio-building purposes) an up-front discount.
    Or maybe I'll just concentrate on landscapes and art photos and have done.