Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: General Photography Chat

Being that I want to eventually get into photography professionally, that scares the crap out of me. That and the fact that I keep hearing about the market being saturated with new photographers all the time makes me really doubt my decision. But I'm really enjoying photography, and I think I would absolutely love doing it full-time. It's really the only thing I can envision myself doing, but I feel like I must be completely out of my mind. I just keep telling myself that if I keep practicing, work hard, and always try to improve my skills, then the quality of my work will (hopefully) bring in business, but that doesn't keep me from being absolutely terrified that I'll never make it.

Edit: I've actually worked a handful of weddings as a second shooter with a photographer in my area, and she's been great. She's paid me for every wedding, but to be honest, I'm just happy to be able to get the experience. To me, it's a bonus that she pays me for my time, but she's been more than helpful in giving me advice and telling me about the field.
    Last edited by SoulQuake; 07-27-2010 at 04:13 PM.

I think the trick is setting yourself apart from the crowd; making it apparent what your unique ability/product is, and proving its value. Part of that equation is your own personality - the experience of having YOU for a photographer. It's another little piece of info that my acquaintences have passed along. The market IS saturated, with more coming along every day, but that doesn't even really phase me when I think in terms of setting myself apart. Just as the market is saturated with real estate agents and painters and computer repair people and a whole host of occupations, it is the same across the board. If you price yourself the same as everyone else, you tell your potential clients that you are only "as good" as everyone else and you all have the same work to offer. That's not the kind of impression you want to give. [and is something I need to take care of myself.] I would definitely suggest sitting down with either your colleague or even an accountant, and figuring out exactly what you need to charge in order to not only survive, but to make a profit, taking into consideration ALL of your bills from your telephone to your rent/mortgage, everything.

Being a successful photographer has less to do with being a good photographer than with being good at marketing and having a good head for business. There's the cynic's-eye view.

(But seriously? Have y'all seen some of the crap that's out there for which people are paying premium prices??)

yes, and yes, and yes. sigh. I just need to get my ass in gear for marketing, which I had been purposefully NOT doing because I got burned out on everything I have been griping about. It's just so frustrating.

what I *have* done though is figure out that I need to charge $250 per portrait session and have 10 of them per month in order to break even on my bills. That's the flatline/no profit price. ugh. on the other hand, with dave's job, that would bring us up to living very comfortably for a change. now to get it done somehow. *cries*

You can do it!!!

(I go through the same kind of cycle with marketing, because of all the same reasons mentioned. )

Me: You know what I bet people do?
    Dave:...?
    Me: I bet they overcharge, and then they say like... "$100 OFF!" in order to make people think it's a deal.
    Dave: Is that just dawning on you?
    Me: Yes.
    Dave: You're *that* naive?
    Me: Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ej View Post
    (But seriously? Have y'all seen some of the crap that's out there for which people are paying premium prices??)[/font]
    too true! Although i'm nothing like you guys pro wise (not with my crappy camera!), but i often wish i could find a way to sell some of my prints. I often see some crap that is out of there of the same areas of the UK that i photograph, and i always think "but mine are tons better than that!!!". But reality kicks in, of costs and things involved, plus i then start to doubt myself and think but am i *really* any good? It's just me.. will people just laugh at me for even trying? (Yep, i'm that kind of person!)
    As well as local stuff, a large chunk of my pictures are where we go on holiday every summer - the same area, plus we go for abuot 2 or 3 days every 2 or 3 months all year round. And there's a local photographer who has set up in one of the mini shops on the seafront, selling his prints, and although some i think are great, others i do think but mine are as good as or usually better. I think a lot of the time it comes down to whether you have the finances to set yourself up as a seller, as well as having the belief and self esteem to go with it!
    Don't you think?
    Last edited by just me; 07-27-2010 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by just me View Post
    I think a lot of the time it comes down to whether you have the finances to set yourself up as a seller, as well as having the belief and self esteem to go with it!
    Don't you think?
    Correct. One of the major steps (if your plan is to step into the professional arena) is to gain that confidence. That's the most important thing.

Saw this on CL today:

RE: Credit-Only Creative Logo Opportunity (Orlando/Central Florida) (Cheapville)

Date: 2010-07-27, 8:36AM EDT
    Reply to: gigs-u9d3y-1865538781@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Credit only huh?

sure sounds great... well I'm going to offer Imaginary logo only, so there you go... all yours. Good luck with it. Hope your start up business is great.

Already off to a GREAT start

SUCK IT!

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    * Compensation: more then a thanks for your labor!

Love it!

fwahahah. CL brings the funny every day!

Everything courey has said and moar. I'm currently offering a $700 package for $175 and I got nothin. I loathe having to cut prices to compete with every momtographer out there offering full day weddings for $200 and portraits for $20.

And I've done second shooting a fair bit and I've always been paid for my time. It isn't much but it's better than a kick in the you know what. I honestly won't SS for free unless it's something amazing.

that is exactly the point
    you don't even have to be that you just need to know the market

edit :
    i don't really know where to post this so thought that the general photography chat would be a good place

i work with a photograph here in Quebec , my job is all the post-production with the photos ( download , selection , retouch , print ect. )
    so you can all check his website ( we are currently brainstorming ideas to re-make the website so this one is like a basic one but you can see photos we've done )

www.deslauriersphotographe.com
    Last edited by Simon; 07-29-2010 at 02:35 PM.

I just looked through Yahoo local [which I'm waiting to get added to] and noticed a couple of new photographer listings. One in particular who does excellent work and I see as some real competition. Their most expensive wedding package is $450. Portraits are $100 for an hour and a half, with two photographers [husband and wife team]. HOW the HELL do they expect to pay their bills with that? And perhaps they don't expect to, but are simply doing it for fun on the side. Meanwhile they don't consider or care how they are impacting the market. I feel like sending them an email and asking WTF they're playing at.

Is Yahoo Local worth signing up with? I've never even looked at it.

I definitely think so. It's become "the" top search result on yahoo when I search for photographers in my area, complete with a map listing, and business information.